Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 32 of 32
  1. #1
    HDD8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Last week, I watched an opened bottle of L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme sell on e Bay UK for 80. This week, I purchased a brand new, unopened bottle online from Debenhams (reputable high street retailer) for 52 !!!!

    I would advise anyone to research before buying, and don't get carried away buying in an auction!

    Right now, there is another seller on e Bay offering a new, unopened bottle for 80.
    Also this week, I have seen a 50ml bottle of Le Lobo Poivre 23 being offered on eBay at 200. I can buy the same item form Liberty of London (reputable retailer), online, for 180.

    I realise that some fragrances may be difficult to procure in some countries, and also that some of these online retailers might not export fragrances from the UK, but just be aware of the excessive premiums some eBayers are charging.
    Last edited by HDD8; 23rd April 2011 at 06:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Master-Classter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on eBay!

    does everyone else's browser auto link the word "ebay"? Just trying to figure out if I have a nosey add-on or it's built into Basenotes...
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

  3. #3
    A Site For Sore Eyes

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    17,494
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Don't overpay on eBay!

    Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    does everyone else's browser auto link the word "ebay"? Just trying to figure out if I have a nosey add-on or it's built into Basenotes...

    Use e bay instead of ebay (hmmm.. in testing this post "ebay" was a link for me. Strange it isn't after editing to this post)


    ...and now, after refreshing the page, it is a link again!!
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

  4. #4

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    I also spotted these funny auctions. I suspect there might be shill bidding activities going on! It's just incredible that someone bid on those!

  5. #5
    b3t0_1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,756
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Some Auctions are crazy, I saw one for a 125ml bottle of Eau Noire starting at $250 !!! That is the retailer price for a 250ml bottle!!! Also the same seller have a bottle of Chanel Sycomore starting at $499!!!! WTF?
    Well if there's people with enough money to bid on those, good luck...

  6. #6
    HDD8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    I've just seen an opened, part-used bottle of SL Gris Clair sell on ebay for 58 + 2.85 p&p.

    I can buy a brand new, unopened bottle from a bricks & mortar shop for 65; I can buy the same - online - for less than 59 delivered!!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Some sellers from ebay are asking 180 dollars for Dior Homme Intense.
    That was crazy, i can buy from online retailers for 90usd...

    And there are a lot of buyers paiyng that crazy amount (several item sold on the linsting)

  8. #8
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Also this week, I have seen a 50ml bottle of Le Lobo Poivre 23 being offered on eBay at 200. I can buy the same item form Liberty of London (reputable retailer), online, for 180.


    Saw this again tonight, the seller has multiples. I would only buy direct from Le Labo now that they have an online store (UK based) or take part in a split here.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    I have noticed this too. Kouros has been at 25 in Boots for some time now. There are always bottles going for 35 to 40 on ebay.

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    And I saw pure havane for 400 Euros. Are some people that stupid to pay that much for a TM fragrance?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    I would never buy on e-bay in any case. You don't know that you are really getting a genuine product and do I want someone's second hand scent ?! Many years ago I was duped by a personal shopping service based in Kensington who tried to sell me a 30 gram jar of Creme de la Mer for 130 when the retail price in Harrods was 65 .
    And what if it's a fake ? Buyer Beware !

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Quote Originally Posted by Heartnote View Post
    I would never buy on e-bay in any case. You don't know that you are really getting a genuine product and do I want someone's second hand scent ?! Many years ago I was duped by a personal shopping service based in Kensington who tried to sell me a 30 gram jar of Creme de la Mer for 130 when the retail price in Harrods was 65 .
    And what if it's a fake ? Buyer Beware !
    Ebay have various codes of conduct and buyer safeguards. Your experience with a personal shopping service in Kensington has nothing to do with this.
    Anyone's "second hand scent" is the same as the stuff that is in your personally bought bottle.(Ok, they are often tester bottles) Just cheaper. (unless you foolishly pay a silly price for it)

  13. #13
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,323
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    There is a guy trying to sell a bottle of VC&A's Gardenia Petale for $285, when it's available from Luckyscent for $185! l messaged him to point this out a while back, but got no response. The two bottles he's selling have been listed on there for months; surely no-one is daft enough to pay that kind of money?!

    On the other hand, l bought a genuine bottle of Kouros for my bf for Christmas on ebay, for 19.99! l nearly bought it from Boots until l saw that one. So it is possible to get a great deal on ebay; you just have to shop around, keep your eyes open, & not bid beyond your limit.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Sorry martinijo, it has EVERYTHING to do with it because the Kensington "Shopping Service " was scammed THROUGH EBAY !!!!and have you ever actually tried invoking any of the so called "codes of conduct" on EBay as we would not be having this "conversation" if you had .
    Clearly, you have never been ripped off - lucky you !
    I still would only buy from a dealer I know or a second hand source that I can have a face to face with

  15. #15
    HDD8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Here's another example of buyers either getting carried away in an auction, or not doing their research:

    A 30ml bottle of PdN New York has just sold on ebay for 48.65.

    This same item can be bought on PdN's own website for 33 euros, which is approx 28.

    I hope the (un)lucky buyer doesn't read this!

  16. #16
    Dependent heperd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    4,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    There are 2 auctions right now where people are bidding on "vintage" VC&A pour homme. Looks like the winner will pay at least 2x what they could get it for on amazon everyday...
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

  17. #17
    HDD8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Derby
    Posts
    433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    It's happening again....!!!

    An eBay seller has "Spicebomb" in a 50ml bottle on offer. In his spiel, he points out that the RRP is 45, and that it's available at Harrods.

    The bidding currently stands at 53 + 3.50 P&P...................!!!!!!!!!...........???????? ?????

  18. #18

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    It's happening again....!!!

    An eBay seller has "Spicebomb" in a 50ml bottle on offer. In his spiel, he points out that the RRP is 45, and that it's available at Harrods.

    The bidding currently stands at 53 + 3.50 P&P...................!!!!!!!!!...........???????? ?????
    Thats crazy I would rather purchase it from Harrods.

  19. #19
    Dependent Oupavoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    3,369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    It's happening again....!!!

    An eBay seller has "Spicebomb" in a 50ml bottle on offer. In his spiel, he points out that the RRP is 45, and that it's available at Harrods.

    The bidding currently stands at 53 + 3.50 P&P...................!!!!!!!!!...........???????? ?????
    lol hes telling them the actual price and where you can find it at that price and people are bidding. Thats an epic fail imo.

  20. #20
    Male Member
    Marais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,908
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    I hd a peek on ebay last week to see how the hype on Spicebomb was working out and saw the same madness

  21. #21
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Diptyque Philosykos Eau De Toilette 50ml but about 40ml left in bottle...currently highest bid is 48.00 GBP. A BN bottle full retail is 50.00. Crazy...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1507992164...#ht_500wt_1413

  22. #22

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    And still there will always be people who will pay these asking prices without doing a little "homework". One wonders.

  23. #23
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    10ml decant of DIPTYQUE - PHILOSYKOS EDT, just saw it sell for 37.99...wonder if the bidder thinks it's a typo or is actually going to pay that for 10ml!

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3007095615...#ht_648wt_1398

  24. #24

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Quote Originally Posted by maryandtheboys View Post
    10ml decant of DIPTYQUE - PHILOSYKOS EDT, just saw it sell for 37.99...wonder if the bidder thinks it's a typo or is actually going to pay that for 10ml!

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3007095615...#ht_648wt_1398
    Well looks like 10 people wanted to!

    Astonishing, for just over 10 more they could have got 50mls brand new from Liberty. Utter madness.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    Last week, I watched an opened bottle of L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme sell on e Bay UK for 80. This week, I purchased a brand new, unopened bottle online from Debenhams (reputable high street retailer) for 52 !!!!

    I would advise anyone to research before buying, and don't get carried away buying in an auction!

    Right now, there is another seller on e Bay offering a new, unopened bottle for 80.
    Also this week, I have seen a 50ml bottle of Le Lobo Poivre 23 being offered on eBay at 200. I can buy the same item form Liberty of London (reputable retailer), online, for 180.

    I realise that some fragrances may be difficult to procure in some countries, and also that some of these online retailers might not export fragrances from the UK, but just be aware of the excessive premiums some eBayers are charging.
    As the saying goes, do your homework beforehand...

  26. #26
    donna255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    5,306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    More likely they got cause up in a game of one one-upmanship, which ended in a bidding war.
    DONNA

  27. #27

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    More likely they got cause up in a game of one one-upmanship, which ended in a bidding war.
    Well, if that's the case then it's REALLY sad...

  28. #28

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    The one that really gets me is the one that keeps selling the 'real' vintage bottles of Vintage Chanel Cuir de Russie and other such vintage suchlikery. This particular vendor seems to have an unlimited supply of such a rare thing and still people keep on paying for it without a trace of suspicion and leaving happy feedback. Good luck to them I suppose if people are prepared to be that daft.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    A lot of massive generalisations going on here. Ebay like anything else is just a portal through which millions of people do business and just like dealing with anything online you should exercise caution.

    Of course there will be unscrupulous vendors on there but that applies anywhere, even on the high street (Tesco burger anyone?).

    I purchased the vast majority of my 100+ collection through ebay and have not had a single issue regarding counterfeits or overpaying. In fact I'd go as far as saying I've saved well over 1000 on RRP if I'd bought the same items on the high street or from a 'reputable' online seller.

    All in all though I'd say this is a redundant thread really. The OP is hardly exposing anything new, people have overpaid for goods since the year dot not just on ebay but everywhere, just apply common sense.

  30. #30
    sfmedusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in a recliner
    Posts
    625
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sure Shot View Post
    A lot of massive generalisations going on here. Ebay like anything else is just a portal through which millions of people do business and just like dealing with anything online you should exercise caution.

    Of course there will be unscrupulous vendors on there but that applies anywhere, even on the high street (Tesco burger anyone?).

    I purchased the vast majority of my 100+ collection through ebay and have not had a single issue regarding counterfeits or overpaying. In fact I'd go as far as saying I've saved well over 1000 on RRP if I'd bought the same items on the high street or from a 'reputable' online seller.

    All in all though I'd say this is a redundant thread really. The OP is hardly exposing anything new, people have overpaid for goods since the year dot not just on ebay but everywhere, just apply common sense.
    ^^^This

    In the last week I've picked up a 50ml bottle of Illuminum Arabian Amber which is over half full for less than 5 and a 3ml of Gucci No3 parfum for 9. I've got no doubts about either seller and both arrived quickly too.

    As long as you research the retail prices for the items you're buying and plan a top bid and stick to it, what's the problem?

  31. #31
    donna255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    5,306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    The one that really gets me is the one that keeps selling the 'real' vintage bottles of Vintage Chanel Cuir de Russie and other such vintage suchlikery. This particular vendor seems to have an unlimited supply of such a rare thing and still people keep on paying for it without a trace of suspicion and leaving happy feedback. Good luck to them I suppose if people are prepared to be that daft.
    On MUA this person is mentioned a lot, he has different names as well. Seems he actually buys empty bottles and possibly filling them himself. Randal is one name.
    DONNA

  32. #32

    Default Re: Don't overpay on e Bay!

    How come no-one is reporting him I wonder. He must have a great recipe then. I want that.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 30th August 2011, 01:15 AM
  2. Yay for Ebay!
    By Clemmie in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 24th January 2008, 11:48 PM
  3. Is this ebay auction a fake? - Are there any known good sellers on EBay?
    By ohmyamoose in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th January 2008, 09:58 PM
  4. Ebay
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •