Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Basenotes Member

Default Re: Sloooooooooooowwwwwwww

I just want to let you know that I cannot access my wardrobe. I do have access to the fragrance database and can post a scent of the day that way. Thank you.

Default Re: Why is the Basenotes website so slow now?

There's a drop-down menu near the bottom left of the page that allows you to select a style. When I changed from default to green green green, I got my wardrobe button back and I think I was able to post my scent of the day.

I'm loving the higher speed!

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    There's a drop-down menu near the bottom left of the page that allows you to select a style. When I changed from default to green green green, I got my wardrobe button back and I think I was able to post my scent of the day.

I'm loving the higher speed!
    Changing the style re-enables the button but this error still occurs:

Warning: fopen([path]/ca/drobes/53492-counts.cache) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in [path]/bn_wardrobe.php on line 256
    can't open file

Quote Originally Posted by Cahrin View Post
    Changing the style re-enables the button but this error still occurs:

Same here.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Having real trouble posting my SOTD and keep getting warning messages everywhere.

Anyone have an idea as to when wardrobe function and issues may be resolved?

I guess that new server means bugs a-plenty for a while and that Grant is busy fixin' it all - but yep, it loads though, doesn't it? And pronto compared to the last server. It's all good.

Can't access wardrobe, and still getting lots of lots of error messages. All my "pending approval" reviews seem to have disappeared, too. And there were a lot of them.

I do believe too that all the trouble is for the best in the end ... and I am looking forward to sticking my new lovelies into my wardrobe (hoo I have been so bad :P ) when it is finally possible again.
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

Thanks for bearing with us. I've asked the host to look into some of the things that i can't fix

cheers

Thanks as always for your hard work Grant

Thanks indeed, yes. The complexity of this stuff scares the crap out of me.

FYI - here's a screenshot of the sort of stuff I'm getting just following a google search link to a review in Firefox:

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Thanks indeed, yes. The complexity of this stuff scares the crap out of me.

FYI - here's a screenshot of the sort of stuff I'm getting just following a google search link to a review in Firefox:
    That looks like the permissions for cache directories being wrong, so that the web server can't do its stuff there (reading or writing).
    It should be really simple to fix, just one command on the Unix command line should be enough. Strange that it's been like this for days.

JP
    Last edited by jpkunst; 20th July 2011 at 06:59 PM.
    Jan Pieter

Blog Entries

Just to let you know, up until last night l was still able to access my wardrobe & the fragrance directory, & post my SOTD, despite the error messages, but now l am completely unable to do so. l know Grant is probably working really hard on fixing things, but the problems seem to be getting worse instead of better.

ls this happening for anyone else?

Edited to add; l have been able to post my SOTD by accessing it from my own review via my profile page. Of course l can only do this with fragrances l reviewed some time ago, as not all of my reviews have appeared yet.
    Last edited by teardrop; 21st July 2011 at 09:04 AM.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Banned

It's a bit frustrating, but let us be patient. Grant will sort it out, like he always does. Remember the hacking interlude? I take off my hat to Grant for being so stoic about it.

Blog Entries

....and my wardrobe is back, & fully functioning, thanks Grant!

Apologies if my previous post sounded impatient, l was merely letting Grant know what was happening this end. l am fully aware of what a hard-working & all-round jolly good bloke Grant is!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

HOORAY and Thank you Grant-

Can't believe how much I missed being able to access my wardrobe....
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Yay! It's back.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Wonderful!

Only a very small observation, but my avatar has stopped appearing next to my Scent Of The day.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Dear Grant,

I can't believe how much faster the site is now! Thank you so much! As far as I can tell, nearly everything is working now. The only remaining extraneous warning messages appear at the top of perfume house pages, but it is still possible to access the information on those pages by scrolling down.

best,

sherapop

Yeapeeeeeee it is fully operating ! also the directory of fragrances fabulous

thank you Grant and the new server people !!!
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

Ditto!
    Merci beaucoup Grant!

Cheers!
    François
    Ce message provient du Québec!

One thing I've noticed recently: prior to the move, if you did a search for a frag in the on-site search facility the main review for the frag turned up as the first search result - and this was great, because this was always what I wanted to read first. Now though, this main review page seems to turn up almost not at all - what comes first is now usually a well-posted forum about the frag - followed by almost anything but that main review page! So now I end up searching for the Brand and then scanning down that page to find the frag I want the scoop on. Kinda frustrating! (I still love the place though!)

Have the Googlebots got confursed & lost their road map of the site in the server swap or something?

One thing I've noticed recently: prior to the move, if you did a search for a frag in the on-site search facility the main review for the frag turned up as the first search result - and this was great, because this was always what I wanted to read first. Now though, this main review page seems to turn up almost not at all - what comes first is now usually a well-posted forum about the frag - followed by almost anything but that main review page! So now I end up searching for the Brand and then scanning down that page to find the frag I want the scoop on. Kinda frustrating! (I still love the place though!)

Have the Googlebots got confursed & lost their road map of the site in the server swap or something?
    Exactly. I was dying to find old spice 1936 reviews page.But I couldn't! Most of frags reviews don't show up

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hike View Post
    Exactly. I was dying to find old spice 1936 reviews page.But I couldn't! Most of frags reviews don't show up
    Yes, this is true.

sherapop

Quote Originally Posted by hike View Post
    Hey hike, they show up if you search the Fragrance Directory as opposed to using the main BN search bar. Hope that helps
    I'll always make time for cats and roses

My great loves:
    Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Caron Pour un Homme, Dune, Fat Electrician, Oxford and Cambridge, Eau de Campagne, Elixir des Merveilles, Sarrasins, MKK, Ambre Sultan, Tocade, Dzing!

Current obsessions:
    Le Temps d'Une Fête, Tom of Finland, Jasmin et Cigarette, Dirty (not dirty at all )

"Perfume is an invisible art form, and yet one of the most evocative and personal."

Quote Originally Posted by anotherlemontree View Post
    Hey hike, they show up if you search the Fragrance Directory as opposed to using the main BN search bar. Hope that helps
    Thank you! I'm using it now.

One thing I've noticed recently: prior to the move, if you did a search for a frag in the on-site search facility the main review for the frag turned up as the first search result - and this was great, because this was always what I wanted to read first. Now though, this main review page seems to turn up almost not at all - what comes first is now usually a well-posted forum about the frag - followed by almost anything but that main review page!
    That has happened to me as well, when I did a search for Must de Cartier. It shows forum page after forum page, but . . . sadly not the reviews page. I ended up going to the directory and searching from there.

It used to be, as you said, the reviews page would pop up, if not first, at least somewhere on the first page, when doing a search.

Hee! Probably! Because that happens when I "Google" Must de Cartier as well. Well, okay, actually Fragrantica's website pops up before Basenotes does. And again, there is a link to a Basenotes forum page, but not to the fragrance's dedicated review page. And that didn't used to happen a few years back.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Blog Entries

Speed (page load time) seems to be much improved today.

I don't know wether this is because of any active BN-intervention or not but all of a sudden I receive email notification about new posts in my subscribed threads again. Yay!

Basenotes Plus

Ok, it's happened 3 times now this morning. I'm typing my post and all of a sudden it disappears. This was a problem before and now it's doing it again. I always wait to make sure the page is fully loaded, so it's not that. I sure hope this isn't the start of more problems.

Site still very slow to load topics
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable man adapts the world to himself, therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." "Shaw"

sloooooow for me too. Glad it's not my computer. But really, really slow access.

The problems I used to have with dragging of pages being loaded is no longer an issue.

All is well now.
    Last edited by hednic; 11th December 2011 at 07:20 AM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Better now for me too including not having to re-sign in every few page changes! I also switched from Internet Explorer to Google Chrome and noted a much faster ride immediately.

I think it would be a good idea to have an ongoing update box appear on sign-on that identifies any curent problem(s) and lets users know they are being addressed.
    Last edited by kbe; 11th December 2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Sur la Plage

Still many problems.........
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Server overload!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Yes, very slow, sometimes the page won't load, server won't respond. Or says it's taking too long to respond.

Off topic a bit: It would be cool if this site was updated and would attract more female users? I'd really like more females on here. What could be done to attract more female users? Updates on the site in general..and maybe aesthetically, some changes on the site? Just thinking..it may attract more users, especially females..sorry..just saying.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Hey Kalli, I agree with you- more female posters would be great.

Sheglows.

A lot of database and server problems today.

Blog Entries

Yes, I am experiencing similar issues. Would love to hang around here more but it's just painfully slow lately.

Whats wrong with the servers lately, there very slow and crashing a lot? Anyone else?

Yup, same here..maybe an update..makes visiting or should I say not visiting here an unpleasant experience
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Also have experienced erratic server connection problems today.

Connection problems and database server problems all evening.

Display of pages is normal; but entry of text is and has been slow for me.

Lots of time outs and server error connections today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Lots of time outs and server error connections today.
    I agree. I had to go to other forum to pass some time.

Beaucoup problems again today.

I also often have connection problems these days.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Every single night the site refuses to load. After half an hour or so it is fine again. Why?

It seems to happen around 9PM EST and lasts about 45 minutes

Had some connection issues last night but seems ok today.

Maybe that is a peak traffic period? I use it as a opportunity to check out another fragrance site.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It seems to happen around 9PM EST and lasts about 45 minutes
    Same here. Probably a backup process on the server.

Seems like someone could easily look into this and communicate findings with us.

Will check with hosts and find out if something happens at that time.

seems to happen to me all throughout the day, I'll think my internet went out but it's just this site

The problem had been happening at 9:00PM EST. Last night at 9:00 it DIDN'T happen, however at 10:00PM the site went down again. Then I realized that 10:00 DST = 9:00 EST. I wonder if daylight savings time is observed where this site is hosted?