Code of Conduct

Default The whole package (need a new perfume house to fall in love with!)

Ok, so I need a new perfume house to get excited over. I need tips! But I don't care only for the perfumes themselves... I'm looking for the whole package. Great names, intriguing descriptions, a cult following, a cool background story...

BPAL, for instance. I have no idea if their frags are any good. But I had tons of fun browsing their website, with their HUGE collection, very interesting titles and descriptions, a separate site just for fans to discuss each scent to death... Even if I find that the entire line sucks, at least I had a good time researching it!

Or CB I Hate Perfume. The house's name is, by itself, intriguing enough. Frags that smell like rain, dirt, burning leaves? They've got my attention! (I've heard of Demeter, too.)

Creed sounds interesting for the mere fact that it's soooo old, and has so many enthusiasts here. But I'm curious to sniff it all, not necessarily to read about it.

Sooo, which other houses stand out and sound interesting in some way, besides smelling good?

Mila
    ooOoo ~ 2mila.livejournal.com ~ ooOoo

Default Re: The whole package (need a new perfume house to fall in love with!)

Hi again, I'm sure you'll get many suggestions.
    Hermes (for me) provides a great assortment of scents. When I look at my shelves I see many of them.
    Penhaligons, a British house, has a wide assortment and some very interesting Victorian-era scents which still are attractive.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Serge Lutens! Very influenced by Morocco so interesting use of spice in many of his 'fumes.

For quality and history, you can't go wrong with Chanel. There's a new book out on the making of No.5 that's been getting some good reviews.

Juliette Has a Gun and Etat Libre dOrange is what you want

Guerlain
    Serge Lutens
    Dior
    L'artisan Parfumeur
    Chanel
    Amouage
    Tom Ford Private Blend
    Hermes
    ...just to name a few..

Why not go niche/indie in you exploration? Sonoma Scent Studio has a good reputation, a good range of products and it's pretty affordable. The usual style of their scents is a bit "dense" and dry, with lots of leather and wood.

Guerlain and Caron

Two legendary niche houses, that dont require massiv funding to access.

Take rompip's advice and go with Caron.

All of their masculine fragrances are great, made with high quality materials, and, insanely enough, happen to be available online at bargain basement prices.

Yes, they do have a cult following. Read some reviews of Yatagan and L'Anarchiste and you will see that they have a reputation for quirky and weird fragrances as well.

You want history? Caron has been around since 1904. Their first masculine fragrance, the uber classy lavender/vanilla oriental Caron Pour un Homme, has been around since 1934. It's still around, and it still kicks ass.

Seriously, you need to get into this house.

Parfums D'Empire

Quote Originally Posted by ysmdy View Post
    Ok, so I need a new perfume house to get excited over. I need tips! But I don't care only for the perfumes themselves... I'm looking for the whole package. Great names, intriguing descriptions, a cult following, a cool background story...

BPAL, for instance. I have no idea if their frags are any good. But I had tons of fun browsing their website, with their HUGE collection, very interesting titles and descriptions, a separate site just for fans to discuss each scent to death... Even if I find that the entire line sucks, at least I had a good time researching it!

Or CB I Hate Perfume. The house's name is, by itself, intriguing enough. Frags that smell like rain, dirt, burning leaves? They've got my attention! (I've heard of Demeter, too.)

Creed sounds interesting for the mere fact that it's soooo old, and has so many enthusiasts here. But I'm curious to sniff it all, not necessarily to read about it.

Sooo, which other houses stand out and sound interesting in some way, besides smelling good?

Mila
    With Creed I recommend Silver Mountain water, Original Santal, Royal Water. I do am not recommending GIT simply because people go nuts about it being like cool water. I personally think their different and there is a lot of fakes on ebay.

An alternative to try is Amouage, Montale, Xerjoff, GUERLAIN or go check my review thread I started so you have a good idea on what to sample first!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/275...ures-included!

Edit: Just realized your a lady, wouldn't recommend creed Original Santal, but you can try it... You might want to check out love in white by creed. The other 2 by creed are well like by both sexes and is also a unisex fragrance.

Thanks a million everyone!!!!!!!!! I have some serious researching to do! :-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ysmdy View Post
    Thanks a million everyone!!!!!!!!! I have some serious researching to do! :-)
    It invariably happens. This group will inundate you with great ideas. You may have to cup your mouth sideways to breathe however!
    I happen to like the classic houses, hence: Hermes, Chanel, Guerlain.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Serge Lutens and ELdO would be my suggestions for a combination of distinct/unusual quality fragrances.

Ive already found my Holy Grail fragrance house - Serge Lutens. Im yet to find a fragrance from this house that i dont like or appreciate.

Just realized your a lady, wouldn't recommend creed Original Santal, but you can try it... You might want to check out love in white by creed. The other 2 by creed are well like by both sexes and is also a unisex fragrance.
    Oh, I've been sniffing and sampling men's frags as well. I find Armany Code for women super boring, but the version for men is delicious and comforting; I don't care if it's not unisex, I made it mine.