Code of Conduct

Default Best examples of fragrance marketing hype

Hey guys:

I always find it amusing when a fragrance that might otherwise be considered mediocre is marketed in such a way as to make it a bit larger than what it actually is. I can up with some examples here:

1. Bulgari Black- The fragrance that combines vanilla with... wait for it......... rubber!
    Imagine a fragrance that used actually rubber. Can't imagine it? Well, lookie here, the bottle resembles a hockey puck!

2. Axe Twist- A fragrance that changes. Can you imagine something so extraordinary?
    It goes from lemon to lime and back to lemon again? Doesn't smell the same from start to finish! How can that be!

I'm sure there are others. Anything else cross your mind?

Default Re: Best examples of fragrance marketing hype

I think Black is very good..
    Anyways I dont know what is a good example of marketing hype but I can tell you who is clueless when it comes to marketing and that is Estee Lauder and for that matter all their brands ( Aramis, Clinique and so on)
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ralph Lauren.

Just look at the Big Pony series. They had to have 4 of those? Four crappy fragrances color-coded and number coded . . .

Ehhhh . . . *sigh*

1 Million

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoCode View Post
    1 Million
    I just don't get it?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I think Black is very good..
    Me too.

I don't understand where the OP found this marketing at.....???????
    Last edited by petruccijc; 29th April 2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think this thread needs to be a 'limited edition' so people will post more in it.....
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I think this thread needs to be a 'limited edition' so people will post more in it.....
    I get more and more annoyed by flankers and limited editions capitalizing on brand recognition and people's longing for exclusivity and fear of missing out. The whole concept just gets ridiculous when it's applied everywhere. I don't really get why I should be excited by a limited edition candy or a diet softdrink in a designer bottle. Enough!

marketing hype: creeds. whatever they did worked like a charm because everyone talks about creeds. Guerlain tried to provoke something similiar but failed.

fragrance marketing overhype? a*men pure malt.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I get more and more annoyed by flankers and limited editions capitalizing on brand recognition and people's longing for exclusivity and fear of missing out. The whole concept just gets ridiculous when it's applied everywhere. I don't really get why I should be excited by a limited edition candy or a diet softdrink in a designer bottle. Enough!
    I completely agree! Major turn-off for me. They're just so...naff.

I haven't really seen any marketing for Bulgari Black, its quite an old fragrance by current standards. My impression was that a lot of people really like it and so that's why it is still being sold.

I would have to point this years obvious one - Gucci Guilty for men. I don't think it has fooled anyone around here into thinking its that special though.

In the niche realm, I can't stand nasomatto. All hype, overpriced. noone mentions it much on these boards though

Not sure about BB being "marketing hype" becuse I don't remember seeing any marketing for it.

I am King by Sean John was flogged to death here so to me this is an example of a fragrance sold on marketing hype.

Maybe marketing hype was not really the correct term for Bulgari Black. I was thinking how I was really excited to try Bulgari Black because of that rubber note. Maybe the hype actually came from basenoters going on and on about burning rubber and whatnot.
    I guess I brought it up in the first place because I was wearing Midnight in Paris at the time. I noticed that it was not well received on basenotes. I've heard some say it's better than Bulgari Black. So I just thought that maybe the whole hockey puck bottle thing was getting into people's heads a bit. Hope that clears things up a bit.

You know you've been had if you can be persuaded that L'Air du desert marocain "smells like the desert"...!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    You know you've been had if you can be persuaded that L'Air du desert marocain "smells like the desert"...!
    I've been had.

............damn it.........

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I wonder if anybody ever dropped their cotton candy in the desert, picked it up, and said, "Wow, now that smells familiar!"

Quote Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
    marketing hype: creeds. whatever they did worked like a charm because everyone talks about creeds. Guerlain tried to provoke something similiar but failed.

Creed doesn't even measure a blip on the men's fragrance radar. Look at lists of top selling men's fragrances and Creed won't even be anywhere close to making the lists.

I'll bet the vast majority of men that purchase fragrances, don't even know the name.

BaseNotes is not reflective of the general fragrance buying public.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Escentric.

That Axe twist made me laugh when I first heard the ad on radio.

Most celebrity fragrances are shameful in this regard especially at Christmas it seems a good way for them to cash in on their name.

I haven't seen marketing for Bulgari Black but I think the packaging concept is novel and quite cool. I also don't get the idea that Guerlain tried to do what Creed did comment at all - Guerlain doesn't need to invent a pedigree?

Personally I am getting a little wary of the spate of 'high concept' niche releases authored by B. Duchaufor, where the marketing for the house in question swings into gear with the 'visit' to the location etc. I understand that it's interesting - Chandler Burr devoted half a book to Ellena's Nile visit for goodness sake, but it seems to be getting stretched a bit thin. I wonder if we hadn't had the huge media build-up to Sartorial about scissors, steam irons, chalk markers and beeswax if anyone here would honestly had an 'aha' moment and gone 'yeh . . . it evokes an old fashioned tailoring establishment'? The set-up for the punchline was so damn long . . .

Many perfumes are quite capable of evoking a time or a place without all the pre-release hype. I know, I know - it's part of the fun and part of the biz but frankly Sartorial was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me - I don't get a tailor (and I spent time in exactly this sort of atmosphere as a kid), just a hit of chemical 'abstract edginess' that you might find in the CdG Odeur style stuff . . . the talk is outweighing the walk here IMO

My peeve is for companies with a faux lineage purporting to go back decades or even centuries. Trumped up stories of the nobilty, their patronage, and total falsehoods. I can see this working decades ago, but with the Internet and a more sophisticated buying public, why continue the hype?

It's like after the French Revolution when people ran around in France claiming to be noble and it's nothing but fakery: it's called "fausse noblesse." (false nobiity) Companies should come clean with the origins of their company and not try to make themselves seem to have roots in the 19th century and the 18th century. It reduces their credibility for me--even with nice fragrances.

I also dislike "hype" scents in which the notes are not published. I guess some think it's cool and avant-garde to keep the notes secret, or even give the scents a name. I think most buyers would like to know the notes to be intrigued to try the scent. After all, few people would buy a "mystery dish" at a restaurant. At least you'd like to know the entree (if it's made of beef, fish, poutry or meatless) and which sauces and spices are used.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hype to me means exaggerated claims. So:

- Creed and it's falsified history
    - The whole mess about what is the "original" Kolnisch Wasser, with the many pretenders to the throne, not just 4711
    - Mugler Colonges "special" S Note. What's so special about it?
    - Lacoste Essential and it's "time release technology"
    - "it's got bits of real Panther in it, so you know it's good"

I'm sure the whole backstory of Sartorial, with Duchaufor going to Norton and Sons, is true, so it isnt strictly hype. The problem was the media blitz where the story was trotted out over and over, even going back to Norton and Sons with a film crew to "recreate" the event...

Media blitz or Media circuses usually mean overreporting of a event that really isn't important enough for all that coverage, and most big Ad Campaigns fit that description, and I think they make smart members of the public suspicious (if it has to be advertised that much, the product can't be any good because it's not relying on word of mouth).

2010's big campaigns were Boss Bottled Night, Bleu de Chanel, and Big Pony...

How do you "advertise" a smell. Come up with whacky avant garde advertisements and bottles. Perfect!
    Current Favorites - Creed Green Irish Tweed, Costume National Homme, Hanae Mori HiM EDP, Chanel Platinum Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post

I'm sure the whole backstory of Sartorial, with Duchaufor going to Norton and Sons, is true, so it isnt strictly hype. The problem was the media blitz where the story was trotted out over and over, even going back to Norton and Sons with a film crew to "recreate" the event...

Media blitz or Media circuses usually mean overreporting of a event that really isn't important enough for all that coverage, and most big Ad Campaigns fit that description, and I think they make smart members of the public suspicious (if it has to be advertised that much, the product can't be any good because it's not relying on word of mouth).

I'm with you on this - I guess I interpret "hype" as just being too pushy, to the point of 'okay, we got it, already - let's just smell the damn thing'. I think maybe my very personal pet-peeve with this one is that it seems like a marketing driven idea rather than some sort of creative inspiration. I can see the meeting - "okay, we're English, no, British actually, tried and true values, what's our USP? Done lavender and the countryside so how about . . . I know, Saville Row! Genius!". Then grab an edgy perfumer and 'make it so'. I know 90%+ of perfume 'concepts' are born in the marketing department, I do empathise with the noses commissioned to realise the ideas but it feels like they are being led around by their most insurable assets just to give some credence to an idea with their involvement being trotted out to talk up inspiration and lend artistic integrity to validate a naff concept. It must be embarrassing, come to think of it, but the press thing is now part of what the gig requires it seems. That to me is another version of "hype". Rant over - I see this approach in my own industry so I guess I recognise it at work elsewhere. No big deal, we're not dealing with rocket surgery, here

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post

- Creed and it's falsified history
    - The whole mess about what is the "original" Kolnisch Wasser, with the many pretenders to the throne, not just 4711
    - Mugler Colonges "special" S Note. What's so special about it?
    - Lacoste Essential and it's "time release technology"
    - "it's got bits of real Panther in it, so you know it's good"

Oh here we go . . .

Creed doesn't bug me because no one has really been able to indict them on much regarding their history, false as it may or may not be. They use English cleverly enough, I'll give you that.

What peeves me about fragrance marketing is the lack of TV commercials on basic cable. Why do I have to scour the internet to be aware of a new designer release? I can understand niche companies not doing it, but designers used to advertise a lot more and spread awareness of something new. Plus those commercials are usually really artsy and weird, fun to watch. Need more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Creed doesn't bug me because no one has really been able to indict them on much regarding their history, false as it may or may not be.
    http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.com...-pasts-of.html

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh2003 View Post
    thanks but read this a while ago. hardly an indictment. lines like "No documents, novels, advertisements, letters of the 19th or 20th century mention Creed perfumes, while the family frequently appears in the context of tailoring" simply bolster the controversy, not upend it. the author makes some pretty big leaps from finding nothing in private royal/celebrity history to the company falsifying its history.

not getting into another Creed brawl here though.

another thing that annoys me in fragrance marketing - ugly bottles. why can't these companies come up with classy stuff? the prettiest bottles in my collection right now are Quorum by Puig and the original Kouros.

All of the brands in the industry have to resort some way or another to marketing hype, for the truth on perfume making would bash perceptions and affect brand values, and make our experience quite boring.

I will resort to an old campaign by the Rolling Stones: Perception vs Reality... http://advescad.com/?p=994 Being so familiar with perceptions in our roles as consumers, I will resort to the reality aspects of the industry as far as I know them:

1-. Take usage of the much needed use of synthetics and the claim of "natural"... in perfume making they are not opposites, they need each other, for synthetics will give back naturals notes or accords missed because of the characteristic of certain harvests. This does not mean there are perfume makers dedicated to the production of all natural perfumes, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

2-. Costs: except for companies involved in artisan - making manufacturing processes, cost reduction is a reality for all companies in the industry, thus one of the reasons for reformulation: this specially so in the case of big multinational corps attending stockholder's expectations.

3-. Reformulations are done due to costs efficiency issues and / or the lack of availability of essences. Changes in fashion might dictate them too.

4-. Safety: components widely used in the industry can be highly toxic or allergenic. IFRAS' bans can be interpreted as you wish, but phtalates and conservatives like BHT are carcinogenic - why they are banning jazmine usage? Not a clue, except for their claims. And these are being applied everywhere, even in Argentina.

5-. Profit margins: 75 to 90 % for high - end drugstore scents. There you've got the reason for celebrities campaigns and global ad campaigns, they are covered through these profit margins. In the case of niche perfume making, profit margins are canalized in other marketing action consistent with branding policies - opening stores in high end shopping neighbourhoods, for instance.

5-. Ingredients: the industry does not use ambergris, even if claimed. Some artisan perfume makers do, but you can count them with the finger of your hands.

Contrast these facts with historical claims, blurbs as to the description of scents, olfactory pyramids and style descriptors as per scents reviewed, like "Basically a scent for blond and blue eyed, married with two children, 40 to 50 year old women, working as a tenured scholar in Columbia, working in Physics and specialized in the physicis of solids, who likes Wagner and plans to attend a performance of Der Ring des Nibelungen at the MET" (I love those, LOL), and so forth.

In this business, fiction takes over facts because we, consumers, want to be seduced. After all, desires complement needs; whithout the first ones, life would be dull. BTW, when I tried Amouage Gold, I felt like a sheik. And believe me, it was one f the funniest olfactory trips of my life.

In my opinion, Axe Dark Temptation may also be a less likely, but ultimately suitable candidate

thanks but read this a while ago. hardly an indictment. lines like "No documents, novels, advertisements, letters of the 19th or 20th century mention Creed perfumes, while the family frequently appears in the context of tailoring" simply bolster the controversy, not upend it. the author makes some pretty big leaps from finding nothing in private royal/celebrity history to the company falsifying its history.
    So would the author need to find a Creed ancestor's journal that said "January 12, 1781: Today I didn't compose Royal English Leather, a fragrance that one of my descendants will market 200 years from now," to convince you?

When I think of repellent marketing I think of that ridiculous orgasm fragrance, La Petite Morte.

i get what the thread is on about now. Pretty much the whole practice fragrance marketing is one big storytelling exercise. But sometimes when the story clicks with what I smell, it works out. Most of the time (mainstream promises of sex appeal and success etc.) I just laught. But ones that have worked on me is Divin Enfant (amazing baby smell)
    Just crazy intangible things that I then see and participate in the story

I remember seeing CK One everywhere back in the early '90's.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh2003 View Post
    So would the author need to find a Creed ancestor's journal that said "January 12, 1781: Today I didn't compose Royal English Leather, a fragrance that one of my descendants will market 200 years from now," to convince you?
    I would need the author to admit that there's no way he can know that "no documents, novels, advertisements, letters of the 19th or 20th century mention Creed perfumes" - such a claim purports to have had access to the entire gamut of letters produced in both centuries (not even counting the 18th century) and finding not one mention of Creed's perfumes anywhere in that myriad of written exchanges. That statement would be better off amended with "no documents, novels, advertisements, letters of the 19th or 20th century that I could find mention Creed perfumes." But that assumes that the author even bothered to do the homework of filing through historical letters written by royals of the given time periods - which is highly doubtful. I also really don't understand why novels and advertisements are listed there - perfumes are usually not subjects of those, even today - back 100 -200 years ago, they were even less likely to be found in these two mediums.

I find Lady Gaga's perfume-in-production marketing repellant before it even hits the mass market. The idea of something that smells like blood and bodily fluids really makes my skin crawl.

... find mention Creed perfumes. ... The idea of something that smells like blood and bodily fluids really makes my skin crawl.
    Some people like to be seduced. But from my perspective Creed is the least sexy frag firm. Prudery taken to the max - the all WASP American thing Creed is. Disgusting in its pseudo elitist attitude as ever can be.

I recently asked what kind of revelation an experienced frag collector does expect from 'a new purchase'. New thread, many hits, no answer. Might be due to that bad English of mine. Or is it because nobody really thinks about what for he/she is collecting ever more frags? What keeps people buying?! If it is curiosity, that could be an explanation. But for just curiosity the prices to be payed to satisfy it are a bit high. It is very much about hype, peer pressure - yes, on basenotes too!

The worst hype? Luca Turin! After a few years during which perfume showed some self awareness (ELdO, Comme Des Garcons) now we have that infamous 'niche' segment of marketing (sic!). All the business goes on as before. Only with even more pressure on some sort of 'true meaning' of fragrance. ELdOs Secretions Magnifique played with peoples expectations, ironically copying the marketing techniques ("sex!"), now we may buy a fragrance by 'By Kilian', which by its 'niche'-perfumer M.Deauchafour smells of womens internal (by what does he know?!) secretions just before climax. 10ml = 1000$. O/k, who eventually made it a pain was Chandler Burr ...
    Last edited by WildThingy; 1st May 2011 at 05:50 PM.

MOONB, if a person or company makes a claim it's up to them to back it up. That's how it works.

In the case of Creed, the company simply can't provide any documentation to support their claims.

I would need the author to admit that there's no way he can know that "no documents, novels, advertisements, letters of the 19th or 20th century mention Creed perfumes" - such a claim purports to have had access to the entire gamut of letters produced in both centuries (not even counting the 18th century) and finding not one mention of Creed's perfumes anywhere in that myriad of written exchanges. That statement would be better off amended with "no documents, novels, advertisements, letters of the 19th or 20th century that I could find mention Creed perfumes." But that assumes that the author even bothered to do the homework of filing through historical letters written by royals of the given time periods - which is highly doubtful. I also really don't understand why novels and advertisements are listed there - perfumes are usually not subjects of those, even today - back 100 -200 years ago, they were even less likely to be found in these two mediums.
    I don't mean to pick on you here but I don't follow your logic. By this reasoning one could make literally any claim about history and then dismiss criticism of it. I could write that George Washington had an affair with a talking horse and that I am the descendant of this union. No letters or other historical documents that I know of mention this particular coupling, but of course I haven't been able to read absolutely every document produced since George Washington reached sexual maturity. For all we know there may be an archive of torrid love letters between Washington and the horse (or perhaps letters on one side, hoofprints on the other), so I can ignore any hothead or malcontent who dares to claim that I am not the proud descendant of Washington's equine dalliance.

Creed is certainly not alone in its ill-supported claims to an aristocratic history (see: almost every other luxury brand), and they make some really excellent fragrances. I find it quite easy to enjoy them without believing that generations of British royals were bathing in GIT. I also laugh off the preposterous narratives about Olivier and Erwin flying around the world visiting out of the way markets and hand-picking the finest sandalwood and whale excretions, but this too doesn't stop me from enjoying the product.

Here's an example of GOOD fragrance marketing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ5a2JH_BVE
    My question is, was Chanel deliberately being a little silly or is it just the passage of time that makes this commercial look kitschy?

Any celebrity endorsed fragrance.

Don't care if it's the most amazing smell ever, I will never fall for it.