Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Chantecaille Kalimantan~ A (not exactly) poor woman's Bois d'Armenie WITH PROJECTION!

Today I took my little Sapling up to the outdoor Stanford Mall for a stroll on this beautiful, mild, spring day. It was my first trip out sniffing since he was born last summer, and we went first to Neiman Marcus. I got about 10 feet into the cosmetics department before spotting a new-to-me brand: Chantecaille. The name "Kalimantan" sounded right up my alley: middle eastern, exotic. An SA saw me pick up the bottle for a sniff. "Oh, yes, that's --" "Gorgeous!" "-- exclusive to our store."

We discussed the notes and she gave me a sample (even though my super-cute baby was sound asleep and not exuding his usual adorableness that sometimes wins me a goodie or two). I had sprayed my wrist, and as I moved on thru the department I kept performing the Basenoters' Salute. I knew this was *very* much like something I own, and eventually it hit me: Guerlain Bois d'Armenie. I googled the notes for BdA and returned to the SA. We compared and they both cover a lot of the same ground.

Kalimantan:
    Top notes: thyme, bergamot and rosemary
    Middle notes: incense, ciste absolute, Indonesian patchouli
    Base notes: cedar, styrax, vanilla, agarwood and sandalwood

The best list of notes I could find for BdA reads:
    Notes: Pink Pepper, Iris, Rose, Coriander, Benzoin, Indonesian Patchouli, Incense, Precious Woods, Musk and Balsams.

I'm wearing these side by side, and they are nearly identical, except that Kalimantan has far more oomph going on after a couple of hours than BdA. They're both all about the styrax/benzoin, incense, and patchouli, with a green, herbal vibe in the opening. Guerlain doesn't list vanilla, but we all know it's there (after all, it's Guerlain!). And I've always thought Guerlain's "precious woods" included a bit of agarwood. I think I paid about $250 for my 75 ml BdA some years ago at Neiman Marcus. I'm told a 75 ml Kalimantan goes for $175.

So anyway, if you love Bois d'Armenie but are put off by the price point and how it sits so very close to the skin, do give Kalimantan a try!

By the way, my dearest Sapling did wake up a little later in the afternoon (he turned 9 months yesterday):

Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Default Re: Chantecaille Kalimantan~ A (not exactly) poor woman's Bois d'Armenie WITH PROJECTION!

Awesome fragrance! I bought it recently Well... I didn't know how Bois d'Armenie smells but I guess I know now!

Cute baby!

Default Re: Chantecaille Kalimantan~ A (not exactly) poor woman's Bois d'Armenie WITH PROJECTION!

I had never heard of this line before. The bottles look lovely and their Vetyver (bergamot, citron, pepper, nutmeg, vetiver, musk, sandalwood) sound nice, if unadventurous.

Handsome, well-dressed fellow, that son of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwood View Post
    We discussed the notes and she gave me a sample (even though my super-cute baby was sound asleep and not exuding his usual adorableness that sometimes wins me a goodie or two).
    Have baby, receive samples. Interesting... [rubs chin]

I might have to try this when my decant of Bois d'Arenie runs out... easier to get in North America. I like scents a little closer to the body though (just not too close) and I tend to like Guerlains (although BdA is a non-Guerlain Guerlain, but it's still got things like the iris and vanilla) so maybe not... still worth trying.

Banned

I dug out my Kalimantan decant when I saw this thread (glad to be reminded of the perfume...it's fantastic). I hadn't ever made the connection with Bois d'Armenie, my favorite modern Guerlain. They both share an incense/vanilla accord and on application they feel a bit similar. However these are still two pretty distinct perfumes and owning one would not replace the other, smelling one does not indicate what the other smells like. Kalimantan is quite a bit more complex and its herbal/patchouli/labdanum accord (that sits on top of the incense/vanilla) sets it apart from Bois d'Armenie significantly. As Kalimatan develops the incense/vanilla really takes a backseat whereas this is the entire thrust of BdA. Both excellent perfumes, but I'd have to respectfully disagree with OP's assertion that these are anything close to 'identical'.

Side note - I think it's funny that every store likes to tout the 'exclusivity' of the lines they carry. Bergdorfs, Barneys, NM, etc. (Saks? probably) all carry Chantecaille perfumes. If you peruse the Bergdorf's beauty catalog they label nearly every perfume with "Exclusively Ours!" and I don't think a single one is truly exclusive.

Lovely baby!
    And I love the term ''sapling''!!!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

Such a cute picture!!! Thanks for the info on Kalimantan!