Code of Conduct

Default Bulgari Soir... A compliment...kind of...

Today I had to get up early for a meeting at work. I wasn't sure how many people were going to be in the meeting and in what size room the meeting would be held in (turns out the meeting was supposed to be this coming Friday, and my manager told me the wrong day-- I was P!SSED!!!), so I decided to wear something semi-discreet.

So anyway I decided to wear Bulgari Pour Homme Soir. I don't wear it all that often. I like it, but it's just not received its fair share of skin time so far. After I got home from the non-meeting, I decided to walk the dog. I sprayed myself a couple more times on the arm and neck with Soir, since I was just going to be tooling around the house. As I got off the elevator, a girl was getting on. She stopped and held the doors for a second as she sniffed the air. She asked, "Is that a store-bought cologne?" she knows that I'm a DIY perfumer, so she had to ask that first. She then said, "I like it. Is that Curve?"

lol. Curve. Funny, but I can see that in a strange way. There is a cool, almost powdery aspect to Curve and can see that in Soir also. It was a compliment , but also kind of odd.

Anyway, there's also something very earthy and vegetal in Soir. I was reading Manicboy's review of it in the directory and I couldn't believe how right on his review was... He mentioned his first job was detasseling corn and that Soir reminded him of the smell of the corn leaves, soil, etc. MY first job was also detasseling corn (must be a Midwestern thing) and I get exactly the same vibe from it. I also get the same mineralic accord that I get in Creed Vetiver '48-- which reminds me, someone was asking for suggestions for similar scents and I couldn't think of it at the time, but seriously there's something in Soir that reminds me (maybe if you layered it with something else, it would get you into the ballpark)

To me, Soir seems less powerful than Bulgari PH and Extreme, but I have to say that I'm impressed with the smell of it. Strange though, I guess I'm not the only one who finds corn leaves, cornsilk, soil etc in this one!

Default Re: Bulgari Soir... A compliment...kind of...

I'm glad you're enjoying this fragrance. I think it is stronger than the original but not as strong as Extreme. I find that the Bvlgari line tends to fall more on the discreet end of the spectrum but they're not necessarily skin scents. I've received favorable feedback for this fragrance at all stages in the dry-down and I too like it very much. I find that it's also more versatile than most "for evening" fragrances. A solid addition to any wardrobe.
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Versace Man by Versace
    Iceberg The Fragrance by Iceberg
    Amber Intense by Prada
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Burberry London
    Lanvin Avant Garde

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Funny you mention this. I just sampled this on the weekend. Almost was going to blind buy a bottle of it, but decided just to make a trip to the mall.

I was wearing two things, one on the back of each hand : Nautica Voyage and Soir.

While I was waiting for some food about an hour after that, some girl asked me "Is that USHER VIP?" I said "what do you mean?" She said "Your cologne. it smells like USHER. It smells so damn good!!"

It was either Soir or Voyage, or maybe a combo of the two. She was standing a good 2 feet away. I'm not sure which one she was getting though. Both seem to project pretty well within the first hour or so. I've never smelled USHER VIP before, so I have no idea.

Soir really smells like earth/soil behind all that powder. Then it dries down sweetly. Not bad. But I'm not into powder :\

FWIW, I like soir the best out of Soir, Extreme and Pour Homme.
    Last edited by G Man; 27th April 2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: added detail

Soir is one of my top complimented colognes in my collection. I think it's so damn unique and has that amazing tea note that lasts forever on my skin. Out of the entire bvlgari ph line, soir is the longest lasting on my skin...sillage is terrific as well! I have to admit though PH and Extreme have deceptive longevity....olfactory fatigue sets in pretty quickly and I get compliments many hours after I spray them.

Nick
    Last edited by checker; 27th April 2011 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks for the comments guys.

@OlfactoryExperience-- I see what you mean about the versatility. I thought it funny that I wore it to an early morning meeting. It seemed like it would work anytime, anywhere.

@G Man-- Funny about the Usher. Were you wearing Nautica Voyage or Voyage D'Hermes?

@checker-- I'll have to keep wearing the Soir. It seems very short lived to me-- so much so, that I'm certain there's got to be some olfactory fatigue going on-- that's why I was stunned to get a compliment, even though I had just applied. I agree that Pour Homme and Extreme are the same way.

I love all three of these scents for different reasons. They're all very classy and refined.

Great story as always! I've tried so hard to like this but it has one note that doesn't agree with me, papaya. To me, this ruins EDOV Concentree. Alas, its just not meant to be for me but thats why there are others lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Nice story Indie_Guy! Soir was once in my collection and I found it to be a fragrance that was pleasant to wear on cool, rainy days. I has a kind of thoughful, introspective quality about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Great story as always! I've tried so hard to like this but it has one note that doesn't agree with me, papaya. To me, this ruins EDOV Concentree. Alas, its just not meant to be for me but thats why there are others lol
    Actually, the note in Soir is papyrus wood; the note in Eau D'Orange Verte is papaya fruit, I think.

I don't know what papyrus wood smells like.

Weird, the first few times I wore Soir in the past, I think it gave me a slight headache. Today, I've been feeling good all day. No headaches, just smooth sailin'.

Quote Originally Posted by laroche View Post
    Nice story Indie_Guy! Soir was once in my collection and I found it to be a fragrance that was pleasant to wear on cool, rainy days. I has a kind of thoughful, introspective quality about it.
    I know what you mean. Today was gorgeous, but this evening was cool and rainy and when I walked the doggie tonight, I noticed how much different Soir felt in the rain. It still seemed a bit weak, but I got almost a grey, cold ionone feel out of it.

Funny I bought this once on impulse and never gave it much of a thought, but now it's like a shiny new toy for me.

Soir is a solid rock in my wardrobe, and it seems, indeed, very appreciated by the ladies.
    It's strange how it starts a bit soapy and very fresh to become something so earthy and natural. I wore it 2 days ago and I was justly telling to myself how much good it is. If you keep it in your rotation, I'm sure you'll appreciate it even more in a few times.
    Staying power and sillage are absolutely perfect for my taste, it's a "strong quiet" fragrance that lasts and lasts.
    Top 3 : Jaisalmer | Bulgari Black | Body Kouros

I smelled this the other day.

I don't remember much about it but I do recall thinking it was rather better than the other Bvlgari stuff at the counter and perhaps even better than it had to be.

Will have to remember to look for the corn leaves next time, and see if it recalls Champaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Thanks for the comments guys.

@OlfactoryExperience-- I see what you mean about the versatility. I thought it funny that I wore it to an early morning meeting. It seemed like it would work anytime, anywhere.

@G

Man-- Funny about the Usher. Were you wearing Nautica Voyage or Voyage D'Hermes?

@checker-- I'll have to keep wearing the Soir. It seems very short lived to me-- so much so, that I'm certain there's got to be some olfactory fatigue going on-- that's why I was stunned to get a compliment, even though I had just applied. I agree that Pour Homme and Extreme are the same way.

I love all three of these scents for different reasons. They're all very classy and refined.
    Indieguy,

Soir is still on my skin 8 hours later and it projects well on my skin for at least a few hours after application. I can't detect PH on my skin after 30 minutes yet i still get comments several hours after I spray it on ( I must admit though I use a heavy application) So it has to be olfactory fatigue with that one.

Thanks for the mini-review! I think that may have been me wondering about a Vetiver '48 substitute - maybe I didn't post the thread about it, but I am wondering. I actually have a bottle of '48, but I mostly likely won't be able to acquire another, and I'm already worried about it.

So, I have my target next time I'm in Sephora. Initially I wasn't impressed with it (plus I already have Bulgari PH), but I've never experienced it through the base, so I'll remember to give it some time.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

soir is my favorite from this line.. it's very unique..

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Thanks for the mini-review! I think that may have been me wondering about a Vetiver '48 substitute - maybe I didn't post the thread about it, but I am wondering. I actually have a bottle of '48, but I mostly likely won't be able to acquire another, and I'm already worried about it.

So, I have my target next time I'm in Sephora. Initially I wasn't impressed with it (plus I already have Bulgari PH), but I've never experienced it through the base, so I'll remember to give it some time.
    Do check it out.

It's not a super close match to Vetiver '48, as I don't even think it has a vetiver note listed in the pyramid. Oddly, I swear I get something of a faint iris/ionone note in Soir but when I looked at the ingredients/allergens on the box, I didn't see any ionones listed. Either way, I do get a very significant mineral aspect to the base, which reminds me a little of Vetiver '48. I wonder if maybe one were to layer it with vetiver oil or another vetiver scent, it would come closer to Vetiver '48. I'm one of those people who believes there's never a true substitute of one fragrance for another; the nose always knows, but I am always finding bits and pieces of some fragrances scattered in other scents.

@Emlynevermore-- Champaign is not too far from where I grew up. I was maybe an hour south, growing up. Cornfields everywhere. All the kids worked the fields in the summer.

The weird thing that is listed in the pyramid of Soir is nebulous note called "Lifescent." What the heck is lifescent? Well, I always thought there was a faint, almost semen-like accord in Bulgari Pour Homme. Strange, but it works in the scent. Maybe "Lifescent" is another name for some kind of "S" note. Oddly, sometimes in summer, driving past the cornfields while they're pollinating, your senses are flooded with the smell of something not unlike the smell of spunk (In a post earlier this month, I mentioned the smell of Bradford Pear tree blossoms, which also are notorious for this quality).

Who knows?

It seems I'm experiencing huge olfactory fatigue with Soir. Sometimes, this happens with scents that are somewhat new to me. Over time, I find sometimes that the more I get to know a fragrance, I can detect it longer. It seems like the reverse should be true, but it doesn't pan out that way for me.