Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Collecting Frags Considered Dumb?

Hi guys,

What do You think - can a straight guy get away with collecting fragrances up in multiple dozens? My personal interest grew after a long time occasionally fiddling around with all natural aromas like Mysore Sandalwood the like. Then I discovered the ideas of famous Luca Turin. I jumped onto the train towards Comme Des Garcons Odeur 53/71, Secretions Magnifiques and other "deconstructive" reinventions of perfumery. But looking through this board diappoints me again.

Perfume is considered anything in between a fashion accessory and a wonderdrug. Creeds offerings are praised alone for their "notes" yelled out in preliminary press kits. Secretions Magnifiques is considerd the vanishing point of all evil. Every once in a while someone desperately queries for his next purchase - "niche" or "designer"?

In short, the vast majority of us behaves pretty functional in the setting of supply and demand (in this order). I'm afraid to have to say, theres a lack of thought, awareness. That renders the cultural meaning of smell making to that said business with more or less unaware consumers on one side and not so true producers on the other.

To be a collector (whatever that means) in this surrounding seems to be dull. I couldn't get anyone around into this. Now I'm afraid people look at me as a dumb mindless snooper. Any caveats?

Default Re: Collecting Frags Considered Dumb?

Of course you can! The way I answer any queries is "show me a girl who doesn't like a guy that smells nice!"
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    What do You think - can a straight guy get away with collecting fragrances up in multiple dozens?
    Why the hell not? Everyone has a nose. What has gender or sexual orientation got to do with this?

To those who can't wrap their little heads around the idea of perfume collection, perhaps an appeal to their 'greed' may work. Vintage hard-to-find stuff almost always command a good figure in auctions. But people collect for a variety of reasons, some functional, others less so. What makes one reason any more valid than the other? A collector typically finds pleasure in his pursuit, and a certain measure of pride/satisfaction in his collection. Aren't these reasons enough? So quit worrying over how others perceive your hobby & perhaps you might enjoy your collection more. After all it's your money you're spending, not theirs.

Nobody is thinking about you. Everyone is too busy with their own internal voices and insecurities to give yours much thought.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Nobody is thinking about you. Everyone is too busy with their own internal voices and insecurities to give yours much thought.
    One of life's great truths!

Definitely, not dumb at all! One can be a straight guy and still smell fabulous.

Smelling good is not dumb. What is dumb, is smelling bad because some boof-head has an issue with someone collecting colognes and smelling good.

Is collecting fragrances dumb? Only if you're allergic to them.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

A man can collect whatever he wants.

Hi guys,

What do You think - can a straight guy get away with collecting fragrances up in multiple dozens?
    It is no different than collecting art. Collecting and enjoying fragrances is about being cultured.

Everyone in the real world tells me that its all just a waste of money but it doesnt bother me . My BN friends tell me its all good !!!

Banned

Is there any evidence of connection between fragrance and sexual orientation? If so I'm not aware of it and logically speaking there's no reason there would be such a connection. I'm straight and mostly wear feminine-marketed fragrances. Again, no connection with sexual orientation, no reason there would be.. It's posts like the op's they remind us of the stereotyping and misconceptions that still pervade the world. Just like there's no connection between music, visual art, etc. and sexual procession orientation there's no connection with the perfume art form. It's too bad the op is stuck in an old, insecure mode of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Yes and yes.

Also, the fact that I have a closet full of fragrances that are uncommon and smell absolutely fantastic is always weird until a friend of mine (male or female) smells one they love and then suddenly wants to smell everything I own. If you enjoy it and it's not obsessive, by all means, enjoy your collection!
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Is there any evidence of connection between fragrance and sexual orientation?
    Not directly, but it's usually the woman who is overly concerned with means to raise her attractiveness.
    Such behaviour exhibited by a man is therefore regarded as effeminate.

Other than that, collecting frags is as "dumb" as any other hobby.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Kim A. Herzinger, an English professor, award-winning author and avid collector (not fragrances though), comments on obsession with collecting:

"Collecting is a means by which one relieves a basic sense of incompletion brought on by unfulfilled childhood needs. It functions as a form of wish fulfillment, which eases deep-rooted uncertainties and existential dread.”

I have had several other periods of semi-obsessive collection activity in my life. Collector coins, wine, books. Passion for adding to those collections has cooled somewhat over the years but definitely not gone away.

And then again collecting anything systematically may just indicate an interest/like/love for the collected items. I rationalize such to be my current interest in both having my 'cakes' and smelling them too. Gender appropriateness be damned. We are talking commonly shared scent receptors here, not culturally imposed stereotypes.
    Last edited by kbe; 27th April 2011 at 01:15 PM.
    "Are you a god?"
    "No"
    "Are you a wizard?"
    "No"
    "Are you a man?"
    "No"
    "Then what are you?"
    "I am awake.."

It makes much more sense to me than collecting coins or stamps.

In the overall scheme of things, it's no more dumb than collecting most things.

Why are you collecting? Who's going to get the collection when you are gone?

I buy them to wear them and I smell different pretty much every day of the month and life is WAY too short to worry about people thinking you are dumb for smelling good.

I could see maybe it would be considered unwise to go without food, paying your bills etc to snag that bottle of cologne, but other than that if it's just money you'd spend at the bar, movies, going out etc. Who cares??
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Schweitzer View Post
    Not directly, but it's usually the woman who is overly concerned with means to raise her attractiveness.
    Such behaviour exhibited by a man is therefore regarded as effeminate.

Other than that, collecting frags is as "dumb" as any other hobby.
    And where, pray tell, is this research published or is this solely a personal opinion based on a stereotype? Given all the designer clothing directed at men, the multiple lines of skincare, men's fashion magazines, and males in popular culture (actors, athletes, etc.) who care for their appearance I think it's safe to say that the "women want to be pretty, men don't care" is a relic of the past. The notion that caring for one's appearance, caring for one's clothing, etc. is effeminate simply no longer holds true. Just as we've broken past the notion that sexual orientation matters, so too is it OK for guys (and women) to not have to live up to dated stereotypes.

However this is secondary because the OP question was regarding collecting fragrance, not wearing fragrance. And if anyone thinks there's no difference they are wrong - I have dozens of perfumes I've collected for one reason or another (rarity, financial value, completing a collection, etc.) that I have no intention of opening whatsoever. Collecting perfume doesn't even have anything to do with the antiquated stereotype described above and is analogous to collecting any other art form.

To be a collector (whatever that means) in this surrounding seems to be dull. I couldn't get anyone around into this. Now I'm afraid people look at me as a dumb mindless snooper. Any caveats?
    If you find perfume collecting dull then perhaps it's not for you? I've been collecting perfume a long time and I find it's both interesting and fun. It would probably be boring if I limited myself to masculine-marketed fragrances available from e-tailers and the mall, but luckily there are decades worth of interesting and rare fragrances to seek after, explore, and enjoy collecting. Just yesterday I bought, after I don't know how many years of looking, one of the rarest vintage Carons out there. Can't wait to share the photo with BN, post it in my album, and of course put it on the vintage Caron shelf. Even better it's not sealed so I won't feel bad opening and smelling the perfume itself. Perhaps this isn't for everyone - not everything is - but if one finds what they collect to be dull perhaps it's not right for them?

And where, pray tell, is this research published or is this solely a personal opinion based on a stereotype? Given all the designer clothing directed at men, the multiple lines of skincare, men's fashion magazines, and males in popular culture (actors, athletes, etc.) who care for their appearance I think it's safe to say that the "women want to be pretty, men don't care" is a relic of the past. The notion that caring for one's appearance, caring for one's clothing, etc. is effeminate simply no longer holds true. Just as we've broken past the notion that sexual orientation matters, so too is it OK for guys (and women) to not have to live up to dated stereotypes.
    Sure, all "stereotypes". I'm sure a guy wearing a cute little pink dress with silk stockings and high heels would'n raise a eyebrow amongst us enlightened gentlemen, right?

.... and fantasy sports leagues are what?
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

WildThnigy,
    Not all discussions on Basenotes are X vs. Y or deigner vs. niche. There are many worthwhile discussion that are about the science, art, or philosophy of perfumery. Yes, there used to be more of it but this is like everything else. Things evolve. Perhaps those of us who are concerned should encourage such discussions more.

If you find perfume collecting dull then perhaps it's not for you? I've been collecting perfume a long time and I find it's both interesting and fun. It would probably be boring if I limited myself to masculine-marketed fragrances available from e-tailers and the mall, but luckily there are decades worth of interesting and rare fragrances to seek after, explore, and enjoy collecting. Just yesterday I bought, after I don't know how many years of looking, one of the rarest vintage Carons out there. Can't wait to share the photo with BN, post it in my album, and of course put it on the vintage Caron shelf. Even better it's not sealed so I won't feel bad opening and smelling the perfume itself. Perhaps this isn't for everyone - not everything is - but if one finds what they collect to be dull perhaps it's not right for them?
    Brilliantly said. Society will always judge and stereotype based on past standards. No matter what you do, some people will always criticize. If you're married, you'r not happy; if you're single, you're gay; etc. etc.
    You don't have to convert or convince others to become collectors or even love scents in order to enjoy frgrances (or anything collectible). Collecting fragrances (as in nineXseven's example) isn't any more dumb or smart than other collections. Enjoy them for yourself and if you're insecure about revealing your hobby to others, then don't.

By the way, everyone should check out the "hoarding" thread on the Abuse Clinic board for other good opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    .... and fantasy sports leagues are what?
    I believe the answer you are looking for is: "Awesome!"

Sure, all "stereotypes". I'm sure a guy wearing a cute little pink dress with silk stockings and high heels would'n raise a eyebrow amongst us enlightened gentlemen, right?
    That would depend on what circle you run. I have no doubt if you made it to Fantasy Fest in Key West you would find that to be a fairly common sight. This arguement made is from a personal stand point, not a general one. There are always exceptions to the rule, and, one can always make "facts" prove their point. The truth is that in this world there are different cultures, different values, and different opinions. An "enlightened gentleman" sees that.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    WildThnigy,
    Not all discussions on Basenotes are X vs. Y or deigner vs. niche. There are many worthwhile discussion that are about the science, art, or philosophy of perfumery. Yes, there used to be more of it but this is like everything else. Things evolve. Perhaps those of us who are concerned should encourage such discussions more.
    Thanks a lot - that was my point in better English. My trouble with other people is, they like a fume or may be two. But they would never ever think of having that infamous "more than a lifetimes support". A guy who collects is considered a freak. Perfume is looked at as a utility signalling more than just sufficient grooming or a tool to seduce a sex partner (each sex, each orientation without any particular order). The instructions manual is the advertising, describing the appropriate setting pp for each perfume. A farther interest is considered off tracks.

What I miss with this being a true collective hobby is some kind of structure, apparent properties by which the treasured objects can be sorted. How otherwise would You conclude that a branch of the collection is completed? Everything is kind of arbitrary: Creed made a "chypre" in 1875 or so - BS! Do we need collections of mediocre sports frags or the next 10 Creed offerings or a documentation of Chanel drowning? Is a "niche" company worth collection? Is it really collection in the original sense, or is it just buying, hoping for a revelation again and again? I'm quite close to consider the latter the most frequent motivation to make "the next purchase" here on basenotes.

Alas, for me, or fortunately so the big times of experimental fragrances seem to be over. ELdO goes mainstream, so does Comme Des Garcons. Other "niche" firms try hard to come up with worthy more classical frags for the wealthy. I have many of the experimentals, like a lot and this singular branch in my collection is complete. I've got some classics, ad I really don't need such "niche"-things anymore.

Thanks for Your input, helped a lot!

What I miss with this being a true collective hobby is some kind of structure, apparent properties by which the treasured objects can be sorted. How otherwise would You conclude that a branch of the collection is completed? Everything is kind of arbitrary: Creed made a "chypre" in 1875 or so - BS! Do we need collections of mediocre sports frags or the next 10 Creed offerings or a documentation of Chanel drowning? Is a "niche" company worth collection? Is it really collection in the original sense, or is it just buying, hoping for a revelation again and again? I'm quite close to consider the latter the most frequent motivation to make "the next purchase" here on basenotes.

Ah, therein lay the beauty of the fragrance world. There are no constructs, there are no lines in the sand. You collect what you want, you create your boundaries, and you make it your own. That is why it is such an attractive and fulfilling endeavor. The options, my friend, are truly limitless! Find something you truly enjoy and collect that. Maybe you want to research what scents particular people in history wore? Maybe you want to collect vintage? Maybe you want to collect fragrances of a specific scent or genre? Just get out there, make your own rules, and enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by slvrbckgorilla View Post
    This arguement made is from a personal stand point, not a general one.
    No, it's a general one.

The truth is that in this world there are different cultures, different values, and different opinions. An "enlightened gentleman" sees that.
    The truth is that there are huge non-cultural differences in the behaviour of women and men.
    You don't even have to be "enlightened" to see that.

Don't you think that it's kind of funny that our oh so "enlightened" gentlemen of all people seem to be hurt the most in their male identity here?

it is no different than collecting art. Collecting and enjoying fragrances is about being cultured.
    amen!!!

citation: it is no different than collecting art. Collecting and enjoying fragrances is about being cultured.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    amen!!!
    So - do You collect laundry detergents? This stuff is extensivley perfumed ... what's the difference to so called fine perfumery?

Don't you think that it's kind of funny that our oh so "enlightened" gentlemen of all people seem to be hurt the most in their male identity here?
    I don't understand your meaning here. Would you be of a mind to clarify?

collected three things in my life: stamps, guns, colognes