Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Collecting Frags Considered Dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I'm sorry if I've misinterpreted your response, ... 'anal retentive' - that is, they literally withhold feces. These same children grow up to be 'tight' personality wise - often becoming obsessive collectors. So, in a sense, collecting perfumes mirrors collecting (i.e. 'retaining') feces.
    Regardless whether Freuds interpretation of childrens development is correct or even usefull in the first place, my interpretation of Yours hooked up on the 'retaining' part. I would not tell 'retaining' being some sort of collecting. My understanding of that sad development would be that a conflicting education leads to overemphasized differentiation, seperation, organisation of things - maybe within a collection. But we won't go deeper into it here. I'm dumb when it comes to a elaborated understanding of being human.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    In Europe it is totally p/c to use this to focus on sexual behavior that's not just reproductive. I have absolutely no problem with homosexuality: "Not the homosexual is pervert, but the circumstances of his living are" (addressing hidden homosexuality, being dissed by others etc pp) could be my credo. I like Secretions Magnifique!

Thanks a lot, that I didn't know!

Stop!

You should have stopped! "Freedom" is a pretty weighty argument. But as such it isn't too elegant. My frustration, opposed to Yours is the airheaded get-my-next-purchase-attitude presented and cultivated on basenotes. All this vote-the-3/5/10-best/worse-frags-games and coconut-note-competitions. That speaks "freedom" - do You really think so? After a short phase of selfawareness (CDG, ELDO) perfumery went back to business as usual.

Please, mind to list the "notes" of Your fabric softener next time to get scented by just wearing cloths. How does it develop?
    As I said before, your arguments hold no weight. They make no sense, and, apparently you are really hung up on laundry detergent for some reason. A word of advice…if fragrances “frustrate” you, then don’t join a website solely dedicated to them. Seems like common sense, but, that appears to be something you clearly lack. And do not misconstrue my words, I am not saying that the only purpose of freedom is to be allowed to enjoy fragrances. I am saying the great thing about freedom is that you can do whatever you want without oppression. So yes, the fact that I can pull my wallet out, purchase a fragrance with the money I earned, wear it and enjoy it does speak freedom. No need to define words to me champ, I assure you that my grasp of the English language is quite adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Schweitzer View Post
    Wear female fragrances or clothes and you run the risk of being called effeminate.
    That's really difficult to understand, slvrbckgorilla.

No it's not "oversimplification and generalization".

A girl collecting guns has a rather "manly" hobby.
    A man collecting fragrances has a rather "feminine" hobby.

I know: that's really difficult to understand too, slvrbckgorilla.
    Hahaha, Okay Schweitzer, you go on living under the false pretense that you have all the answers...

Quote Originally Posted by slvrbckgorilla View Post
    A word of advice…if fragrances “frustrate” you, then don’t join a website solely dedicated to them. Seems like common sense, but, that appears to be something you clearly lack.
    [...]
    No need to define words to me champ, I assure you that my grasp of the English language is quite adequate.
    Spoken like a non-effeminate and "cultured" gentleman.

Hahaha, Okay Schweitzer, you go on living under the false pretense that you have all the answers...
    Thanks! Keep living extremely cultured!

I'm sure a guy wearing a cute little pink dress with silk stockings and high heels would'n raise a eyebrow amongst us enlightened gentlemen, right?
    Only if the person was NOT wearing a perfume!!!

As I said before, your arguments hold no weight. They make no sense, ... A word of advice ... Seems like common sense, but, that appears to be something you clearly lack. ... I am saying the great thing about freedom is that you can do whatever you want without oppression.
    Guy, You made my day.

Spoken like a non-effeminate and "cultured" gentleman.
    Do you even know what effeminate means? By this response…clearly not. And, I didn't claim to be cultured at any point, as a matter of fact; I actually claimed not to be.

Do you even know what effeminate means? By this response…clearly not. And, I didn't claim to be cultured at any point, as a matter of fact; I actually claimed not to be.
    Of course:

It is no different than collecting art. Collecting and enjoying fragrances is about being cultured.

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    only if the person was not wearing a perfume!!!
    lol

Erm...if I may change the subject:

I am more of an enthusiast than a collector of fragrances myself, but I fail to see what either pastime has to do with who I like getting naked with.

I sniff, buy, and wear for solely my own enjoyment. If no one else could ever smell what I was wearing, I would probably be OK with that, too--fragrance companies would have to spend less on advertising, at any rate.

Anyway, I haven't got much time for people who would project their own insecurities upon me and deign to make me out as something I am not, for better or worse. I share this hobby with people who care about it as much as I do, and typically leave it out of my dealings with everyone else unless directly asked.

-----

WildThingy, in your original post, you said that there is a lack of serious interest in this stuff from people where you live, and that you were disappointed with (what I presume are) the kinds of discussions that take place on Basenotes.

What sorts of things would you like to see discussed more often on BN, exactly?

Of course:
    Nice try, but, my statement is a general statement on the excercise of collecting fragrances.

Nice try, but, my statement is a general statement on the excercise of collecting fragrances.
    Which you are practising. Now that's what I call a weird "coincidence" my "cultured" friend!

Basenotes Plus

This thread has been reported for trolling, nastiness and generally being off track. It is now closed due to childish behavior by several members.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3