Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Chanel Egoiste. Has the formula changed?

Yes, you will notice a difference in the juice. I have a bottle of the cologne concentree and the new version. As Le Gran Duc clearly states, the older version is richer, thicker, denser. It is more cloying and I believe more vanillic. I purchased a bottle on ebay. I am certain you will find it for sale there. Anyways, this is a fragrance for the Fall and Winter. The newer version can be worn anytime as it is considerably thinner, weaker, more watered down. The original version did not do well in the American market back in the 90's. That's when Platinum Egoiste came out which was much more successful here.

Is it safe to assume that 8.4 oz, 4.2 oz and 2.5 oz are vintage?

Bumping this thread.

Does anyone know the date of the new, current formulation? The one where the text of the concentration is now placed under the Chanel name.

Maybe not 100% relevant to this thread. I just bought Egoiste and Bleu after a long Chanel Exodus (though I always had a bottle of Egoiste, it's empty now) reformulation doesn't bother me. I smelled a friends bottle which is new and I like it just fine. One thing I'm curious about though is Antaeus - which I haven't smelled in a long time - as many reviewers bemoan the current formulation.

If it's less animalic I might like it more, and based on a paper test I though it quite nice. Can anyone tell me if the juice is still strong?

I have not smelled vintage Antaeus, so I cannot compare it. The current Antaeus is strong, but not excessively so, and it is not particularly animalic relative to other older perfumes I have smelled - it's much more spicy-woody.

cacio

I bought a bottle at a perfumery (authorized Chanel cosmetics retailer) yesterday and it smells slightly different from what I remember it in the 1990s. A little more smoky, less sweet.

And I am wondering: on my new bottle (engraved) and the cardboard box (stamped) it says "2005". I hope that's not the production year... Any Chanel experts out there? :-)

PS: In the meantime, I sent Chanel an email and they responded that it's merely a batch number to identify production characteristics and that the fact that mine looks like the year two thousand five is pure coincidence. But they wouldn't say what "2005" stands for, unfortunately....

Screenshot_2017-11-28-21-19-02.jpg

Screenshot_2017-11-28-21-19-09.jpg
    Last edited by Mrs.Rose; 29th November 2017 at 11:31 AM.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Check Fresh and Check Cosmetic both say the 2005 batch code means it was produced in 2017.

I do believe it's safe to assume that 8.4 oz, 4.2 oz and 2.5 oz are vintage.

Thank you so much, Bavard.

Freed from BN Institution

Reviving this thread as I would like to learn more about the various reformulations over the years.

I was wondering if some vintage enthusiasts could chime in which years offered the best years of formulations. At what point (approximate years) did Egoiste do you believe Egoiste deviated from its original formulation significantly. Was it in the mid 1990s? late 1990s? Was it in the 2000s?

I'm convinced Egoiste Cologne Concentree is the safest and most conservative choice for Egoiste overall. A bottle of that is on the buy list... work in progress.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubépine-Acacia by Creed

In my opinion Egoiste remains a great fragrance, anyway you can check reformulations looking at "ingredients" label on the box.
    When the list changes, a reformulation happens.