Code of Conduct

Default Scents that make you want to cultivate fields

It happened today ten minutes after I put the splashes of Molinard's Verviene edc over me; I said to myself, my god this smells soo good, I wish I owned fields and fields of this stuff, this plant, and cultivated it with pride and boasting when talk came to growing quality verbena!

Ever happened to you that you wished you could be on-the-scene, so to speak, fingers in the dirt, rubber to the road, in the gritty of making a perfume ingredient you were proud and boastful of?

I've driven past lavender fields and wow, wished I owned them. I've also wondered what sandalwood plantations look like, or looked like, and if somehow the lost category of Hawaiian sandalwood could be found and replanted to be re-established there (and how fun it would be and prideful I'd be if I were involved in it).

I'm not a grower of anything, not a green thumb, and I've had cactus and spider plants die because of me, but perfume gives me fantasies. I wanted to see if I could grow a pot of vetiver (can't) and the research had me fantasizing about growing the magic stuff on Reunion.

Anyone else have scents or scent elements that make you want to put your pride into bringing great scent elements out of the dirt?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scents that make you want to cultivate fields

Definitely! I would love to grow some kind of super-fragrant tobacco for frags. And I do have lilac bushes that are mega-fragrant - it might be cool to try to create a small quantity of essence from them.

I've especially toyed with the idea of getting the citrus-like scent from the black walnuts in our yard - we have bushels of the damn things every year. Unfortunately, they give off a toxic substance as well, and it's too much of a pain to separate, really.

So yes - I think that sometimes scent brings out my inner farmer.

Blog Entries

Agua Lavanda sometimes makes me wish my bed was made of lavender....
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Basenotes Institution

Oh yes.

Like you, I do not have a green thumb at all. But wearing and enjoying well done 'green' fragrances always gets me excited about the great outdoors. In fact I will even go so far as saying that most of the enjoyment (in my brain) about green fragrances has to do with the olfactory memories associated with those 'green' accords: Calamus (Series 1: Leaves) by CdG (me, 7 years old, with sap and torn leaf resin all over my hands); Grass by Gap (summer job cutting grass when I was 16); Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur (picking a Christmas tree)...I could go on...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

For the purposes of good-natured thread entertainment, I'd will the civet cat extraction farm to my good friend Bigsly.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    For the purposes of good-natured thread entertainment, I'd will the civet cat extraction farm to my good friend Bigsly.
    LMAO

I wonder if said civet cats would also eat coffee berries, as their Indonesian relatives do. Synergies ...

Re: gardening. No such intentions here. But once my mom gave me some of her lemons - the zest smelled so intensely, I made a cream and it was just heavenly. I don't see myself growing them, but wouldn't mind receiving some.

And on my balcony, I have the usual pots of herbs, plus a couple of pots of artemisia/wormwood, which smells deliciously fresh and sweetish.

cacio

The lavender top and heart of Caron Impact (i.e. Pour un Homme EdP) made me want to exhort passerby on Lexington Ave. to abandon their worldly possessions and join me in the Catskills as we once again reconnected with Gaia. That was a weird day. Good stuff, though.

In a slightly less eco-friendly twist, Hermes Cd'OV gives me the strong urge to chop down Seville orange trees and stand triumphantly over them, Captain Morgan-style, as master of all that I survey. Yeah, I can't explain it either.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Scents that make you want to cultivate fields
    Not sure, but Dior Poison makes me think of hoes...fo' sho'.

When I lived in Zanzibar many years ago my house was opposite a large field of clove trees and the smell when opening the window in the morning was unbelievable. Any fragrance with a prominent clove element reminds me of the surroundings of a past residence.

Fun Topic, Dust_B!

This year, I've been on a real lavender kick, so I think it would be awesome to have a huge field of lavender. Plus, giant fields of it look beautiful.

I think Oud would be the most fun, because I imagine that every tree would vary just a little. You know how you can go through a bad of pistachios and there are a few that are a bit gnarled and blackened, but sometimes they taste like no other pistachio? It's weird, you can eat pistachios and like every 5th nut, you get one that tastes completely unique... I imagine it would be like that growing agarwood trees. I could be wrong, but it sounds plausible!

Yes, I've imagined it. I have the land to do it on, if so desired but, I've never researched the specific climate conditions required of certain ingredients. Of course time and resourced are a consideration as well. It really wouldn't cost much. It would be labor intensive. I grew up on a farm and could raise any crop given my location is suitable. All you need is a distillation apparatus like found in an organic chemistry lab. I have a lot of experience with those as one of my degrees is in chemistry. Having the knowledge to do it is one thing, the time, money, and effort is another. Yet I still think about it. I would find things about my farm to extract and make a parfum that incorporated elements on the farm; the wood, citruses, and herbals. Like MikePerez, I adore fresh green fragrances.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

L'Eau Bleue d'Issey makes a strong agricultural impression on me. I mean it really smells like wet hay, cattle feed in a dry barn, dirt and other "working farm" materials. It really takes me back to the long days I spent at the dairy farm my friend lived on growing up, running around the hay fields.

I should get a bottle. Isn't it discontinued now, or was that a false rumor? Why do I always fall for discontinued scents?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

lovely thread !

Mogra - http://photos.merinews.com/upload/im...a%20flower.jpg

i just love the smell of it.

Also, Eucalyptus.. the mere thought of cool morning breeze gushing thru acres of Eucalytus forest ...ooof.

to answer OP - i wish i could come acrossa field which smells like PG bois blond.. i did a complete turn around on this one.

i have come across sandalwood forests and unfortunately, it doesnt have any smell. least the way we expect.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    L'Eau Bleue d'Issey makes a strong agricultural impression on me. I mean it really smells like wet hay, cattle feed in a dry barn, dirt and other "working farm" materials. It really takes me back to the long days I spent at the dairy farm my friend lived on growing up, running around the hay fields.

I should get a bottle. Isn't it discontinued now, or was that a false rumor? Why do I always fall for discontinued scents?
    I think I saw L'Eau Bleue still up on the Issey Miyake website very recently. I think in many ways it was a commercial flop in the USA, but it's still in production.

I remember the day i bought it at Neiman Marcus. I went in to try several different scents, skewing to the niche side. The SA sprayed one strip with L'Eau Bleue, but I was a bit of a snob at the time and said I wasn't interested in anything from Issey Miyake. As I kept reevaluating the paper strips in my hand, I kept coming back to one that just blew me away. I was mesmerized with it. I finally decided that whatever I was smelling was the one I was going to buy. I asked the SA and sure enough it was L'Eau Bleue. What a glorious defeat. I bought it immediately.

The only downside to L'Eau Bleue was that I found that it's one of those scents that sometimes gives me a stuffy nose. I've worn it out a few times only to find myself mouthbreathing. I need to use a neti pot when I wear it.

I could kind of see the agricultural connection, but when I smell it, I have this weird fantasy of running (I'm always a few minutes late wherever I go!) to meet a mysterious woman at the exact hour of midnight under a clock tower in a town square somewhere in France, and the sky and all the buildings are cast in the same shade of midnight blue. Very specific dream sequence that L'Eau Bleue conjures for me!

I don´t think like that but some of BNrs could say : eau de gentiane Blanche by Hermès , thanx to its supposed green bell peppers smell
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Banned
    Blog Entries

Grey Flannel. Fields of old oak, shading patches of wet violets and grass.

What an inspiring thread.
    I would love to grow a lot of things from vetiver to patchouli , to saffron to cloves to juniper berries and vanilla....
    My mom grows A LOT of different vegetables and flowers. Too bad it's too hot, humid for anything to grow here. Even our soil is too saline due to proximity of the ocean (300 meters).

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    The lavender top and heart of Caron Impact (i.e. Pour un Homme EdP) made me want to exhort passerby on Lexington Ave. to abandon their worldly possessions and join me in the Catskills as we once again reconnected with Gaia. That was a weird day. Good stuff, though.

In a slightly less eco-friendly twist, Hermes Cd'OV gives me the strong urge to chop down Seville orange trees and stand triumphantly over them, Captain Morgan-style, as master of all that I survey. Yeah, I can't explain it either.
    LMFAO Emlynevermore! That's exactly the sort of weirdness that comes over me when confronted with a particularly evocative sense experience. I'm glad I'm not the only one

DustB, what a gorgeous and dreamy thread this is... I'm constantly struck by the beauty of lavender (I go to bed with Pour Un Homme so this is a nightly occurrence!) and yearn for acres of lavender fields, despite my complete inability to keep even my kitchen basil plant alive. Basil! I wish I could grow fields of that! Un Jardin En Mediterranee gets me dreaming of that, especially when summer comes around. But it's Kelly Caleche that really makes me want to get my hands dirty: the cool earthy green notes underscoring its powdery iris launch dreams of horses and fields and acres of leafy forests. O! Pass me the hoe!
    I'll always make time for cats and roses

My great loves:
    Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Caron Pour un Homme, Dune, Fat Electrician, Oxford and Cambridge, Eau de Campagne, Elixir des Merveilles, Sarrasins, MKK, Ambre Sultan, Tocade, Dzing!

Current obsessions:
    Le Temps d'Une Fête, Tom of Finland, Jasmin et Cigarette, Dirty (not dirty at all )

"Perfume is an invisible art form, and yet one of the most evocative and personal."

Hardly any.
    But supposedly a fragrance would truly bring about this reaction, it would be a range of very grassy frags, or at least, the ones a I perceive as grassy, like: Guerlain Vetiver, Sir Irisch Moss, Eau de Campagne by Sisley, even Horizon by Guy Laroche and a few others along these lines

I've always been curious about this one:

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...de_Polder.html