Code of Conduct

Default Unleash the Fury of Furyo

Bought this one blind and boy, does it ever pack a punch. The reviews don't do it justice. Further, it's the closest to Nag Champa incense I've ever smelled. Yes, this is an incense frag if there ever was one. Forget your Lutens and CdG incense. This is animalic incense to be precise. The temple that houses a brothel if you will. Unlike anything else on the market. While I find most Bogart frags to be unique and of great quality, Furyo is perhaps their best. And it has plenty of the banned stuff - castoreum & civet.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Unleash the Fury of Furyo

Why was this discontinued?

Have you tried vintage Tabu?

Furyo is a wonderful fragrance. Glad I have it.

Civet & castoreum maybe as to why it was discontinued...
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Have you tried vintage Tabu?
    No..

Tabu is a civet masterpiece. I like it a lot more than Ungaro II, and it can be had on ebay for a reasonable price if you are patient. I suggest getting this kind of bottle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TABU-PERFUME-COL...item5642c21f23

I have a few small bottles that are really old, but the fragrance in this bottle is the best, in terms of being complex and with no "roughness," but plenty of civet. Definitely unisex by today's niche standards too.

This one is a monster.
    I can easily grab Bijan, Kouros or any other loud POWERhouse, and wear it liberally without shame or feeling uncomfortable.

But this thing is frightening. It eclipses anything I have smelled in terms of sillage. Completely destroys them.

It's the only thing that causes me to second guess myself if im in company.

It is glorious.

This has been reformulated. Be careful. The reformulation is terrible.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by pk116 View Post
    What are the bottle/box differences to set them apart?

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    What are the bottle/box differences to set them apart?
    If you see these ingredients:

be careful.

I have only smelled the vintage juice.

The front of the box in which the reformulation is packaged looks like this:

the reformulation, like this:

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

pk you said the reformulated version is terrible but also said that you have only smelled the vintage version. How did you judge that the reformulated version is terrible?
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I mean I have only smelled the vintage version, never owned it.

That may explain why I never thought much of the bottle that I acquired last year (looking exactly like the one in the photos).

For years I could never see this bottle or label without thinking it was a Japanese scent related to the bathing ritual. You know, o-furo. The honorable bath.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I mean I have only smelled the vintage version, never owned it.
    Ah. Thanks for clarifying

AromiErotici

Who has an image of the vintage bottles/box?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Who has an image of the vintage bottles/box?
    I've done a couple of search engine image searches and can't find anything different.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

IS there a different bottle/box for the 'vintage version'?

What is needed is a pic of the bottle and/or box in an ad dated in 1988 or thereabouts.

I was going to dismiss this thread but decided I had better look at my bottles before replying.

I have been under the impression that Furyo was never reformulated. I thought it had been discontinued quite a few years ago, and that it just wasn't around long enough to warrant reformulation.

But the photo provided by pk116 is rather disturbing. That type of detailed ingredient list is something you generally see on recent frags, not on vintage bottles. For example, my two bottles of Furyo state simply that the ingredients are SD alcohol, fragrance and water.

Both my bottles are parts of sets containing the EDT, after-shave, deodorant, and soap. The ingredients for all the products are listed separately on the box containing the set. There are no individual boxes for each of the products.

It appears that my bottle is the vintage. It has 85% Vol between the 3.33 fl oz and the 100ml. I guess that's the way to tell them apart.

I don't see any changes in the box design or the bottle. All the Furyo products I've ever seen look like the ones in the photos posted above. The only difference I have noticed is the ingredient list.

AromiErotici

pk116 was kind enough to send me samples of original and reformulated Furyo. The original juice is darker in color and ( as cliched as this sounds) is richer and deeper in aroma. I don't think the reformulated version is terrible, but standing toe to toe with the original, it comes in a distant 2nd.

With that said, I can't help but notice a strong resemblance to Arabian nights.

With that said, I can't help but notice a strong resemblance to Arabian nights.
    agreed

i know exactly what you mean manicboy. it's very intense, deep and it broods scent.

does the reformulated bottle carry the list if ingredients and a description behind the bottle in a golden letters (and not box)?

Would kill for a bottle of this. My housemate used to use his bottle as air freshener and ever since then I have wanted some, it's a great scent.

Dependent

My bottle makes a great air freshener. I find sweet incense like that hard to wear tho. It's the only truly "one spray" frag I own. And it has to be to the back of my head or walking through the spray -- one spray to the chest and I'm choking on musky nag champa for the next 15 hours.

I have a mini up for swap too, feel free to PM me synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I was going to dismiss this thread but decided I had better look at my bottles before replying.

I have been under the impression that Furyo was never reformulated. I thought it had been discontinued quite a few years ago, and that it just wasn't around long enough to warrant reformulation.

But the photo provided by pk116 is rather disturbing. That type of detailed ingredient list is something you generally see on recent frags, not on vintage bottles. For example, my two bottles of Furyo state simply that the ingredients are SD alcohol, fragrance and water.

Both my bottles are parts of sets containing the EDT, after-shave, deodorant, and soap. The ingredients for all the products are listed separately on the box containing the set. There are no individual boxes for each of the products.
    That is a good point only recently did fragrance especially in Europe have to spell out all ingredients. Hmmmm is this back in production ??

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post
    This one is a monster.
    Beautiful Monster Love it too

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    That is a good point only recently did fragrance especially in Europe have to spell out all ingredients. Hmmmm is this back in production ??
    I wish. Been scouring the net for this and so far nothing and even then over $200 a bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    And it has plenty of the banned stuff - castoreum & civet.
    huh. neither are banned. at least not legally, nor prohibited by ifra.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I too have my süspicions.....büt not aboüt a reformülated version. When I was searching for this fragrance once I landed by a website for a firm in Indonesia, (or somewhere similar/ forgotten now - it was a while back) It showed photos of a hüge factory where copies were made, ( or perhaps they were the original jüice made ünder license) It looked süspect becaüse the firm was saying they coüld cüstom make perfümes....it was all very odd.
    ps....my normal ü bütton has packed üp, so I have to üse these things, (lol).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    huh. neither are banned. at least not legally, nor prohibited by ifra.
    Agree. This is all aboüt giant corporations in the perfüme indüstry trying to cüt costs to the maximüm. Civet is very expensive and scarce. Companies süch as LV.. and Procter and Gamble büy müch cheaper synthetics nowadays.
    I was shocked to the core to smell how Egoiste has süffered with a "cost effective" reformülation......absolütely rüined.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Is it worth picking up the reformulation?

Furyo sounds like a great fragrance but I'm not sure if I need to go vintage hunting.

Simply put: Yes. I just completed a transaction for a sample of what I assume is the reform but I have had the pleasure of smelling the original. It's very heavy, strong and incensey.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I was shocked to the core to smell how Egoiste has süffered with a "cost effective" reformülation......absolütely rüined.
    And yet how many BNers say they can't tell the difference between any of the great vintage ones that were reformulated, even the ones that were reformulated to sell in "drug stores?" That must be why they get reformulated !

i BOUGHT MINE from OUR VERY OWN XMEN BACK IN 2009. TO ME IT SMELLS LIKE A 1980'S INDEPENTLEY OWNED VIDEO STORE, AND INDIAN BAZAARS. I ONCE CONTEMPLATED ON SELLING IT, BUT IVE DEICIDE TO KEEP IT. LOVE THIS STUFF.

And if you can get original One Man Show cheaply ("Vol." is not on the front bottle label for the vintage version, I think), I suggest you consider it. I need to do more comparing but it seems clearly superior, if not significantly better (the opening in particular seems more "natural").

So the reformulation smells like incense and original smells like a civet bomb? What are the differences in smell between the original and the reformulation?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    And if you can get original One Man Show cheaply ("Vol." is not on the front bottle label for the vintage version, I think), I suggest you consider it. I need to do more comparing but it seems clearly superior, if not significantly better (the opening in particular seems more "natural").
    Hm I didn't see much relation between Furyo and OMS.

MonkeyBars do you have the reformulation or the original??

Dependent

Original. It smells of nag champa, honey, musk, and civet. Recommended dose: 1/2 spray.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    It smells of nag champa, honey, musk, and civet.
    +1

I briefly owned a bottle but it wasn't for me.

Nag Champa in a bottle. But it opens up and the other notes come through. I get a ton of Rose and Patchouli out of this once the opening calms down.
    At my meager age of 21 it makes we wish scents were still made like this. Masculine nowadays is supposed to be 1 Million. Meh.
    So far I am loving Bogart frags.

Basenotes Plus

I wanted to contribute in respect to this thread. Manicboy mentions a key aspect to distinguishing Vintage from the reformulation - "85% Vol" is on both box and bottle, in between "3.33 FL OZ" and "100 ML". On the back of the Vintage box, the listed ingredients are "ALCOHOL PARFUM EAU" in French and underneath in English, "SD ALCOHOL 39 C - FRAGRANCE - WATER".

I have a tremendous amount of respect for this wonderful creation from a bygone era. The civet is wonderfully integrated and the Nag Champa incense note is surreal.

The scent pyramid on Basenotes, I believe, is very close to correct:

Top Notes
    Lavender, Artemisia, Coriander, Bergamot

Middle Notes
    Jasmine, Geranium, Rose, Cinnamon

Base Notes
    Civet, Amber, Vetiver, Patchouli

I find the notes of Nag Champa incense to be a complete accord from the composition. Therefore, I don't think it would be apropos to list "Incense" or Nag Champa as a true 'note'...it is how the harmony comes together and it forms an incredibly rich aroma that is sublime and very, very close to Nag Champa. This is not meant to be a review - only an addition to a thread, and a helpful one.

I will not pursue reformulated Furyo as I have been truly Blessed to find Vintage juice, in perfect shape! While in a full wearing of Vintage Zino Davidoff, I put one small spray of Furyo on my forearm - and it is mind-blowing. While Zino has its signature dirty rose and patchouli with incense plumes swirling through its composition, Furyo is incredible! I am looking for smoke as it radiates up to my nose. My scent of the day (rich Original Zino) is a near masterpiece. So...where does that leave Furyo?

In another dimension, perhaps.

Cheers.

ericrico
    Last edited by ericrico; 25th November 2013 at 04:44 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    My scent of the day (rich Original Zino) is a near masterpiece. So...where does that leave Furyo?
    I really, really like Zino and consider it an absolute classic. Furyo has far less of those aromatic ingredients you see in the pyramid. There is a slight development as the top notes burn off after 15 minutes, but it's basically linear after that for the next 12+ hours: an accord of very sweet incense, civet, honey, and musk that just goes and goes. Much sweeter and way more incensey than Zino. I don't really get "incense" from Zino, more the classic perfumery ingredients in its pyramid.

I never really noticed much relation between the two.

Basenotes Plus

Hi MonkeyBars -

I like some of what you said here, but I wasn't comparing the two scents. It was just the pure shock (and admiration) of how powerful Furyo is while wearing Original Zino. Sure, they share some notes - but I don't even put them in the same realm of scent.

Zino is a classic and Original formulation is a near masterpiece. The incense vibe I get in Original Zino comes in the dry down with the vanilla offering a bit of a powdery vibe and blending with the sandalwood and smoky patchouli. It is rather wonderful - truly an accord I get, as there is no incense as a note. Many get it...both trained and untrained noses. The dirty rose in the heart creates the mystery and adds even more dimension to the classic it is.

Furyo is not as "sweet" to my nose. It has a wealth of patchouli, amber, civet and vetiver in the base that is incredible with the rose, cinnamon and other florals in the heart. I agree that there is not a lot of movement in the scent after the first hour or so...but, it is how the top notes fade and also blend. It is incredibly rich and that is what I compared - sheer power - to Original Zino. As I said, some notes are similar, but I don't even believe in comparing scents unless they are different formulations of the same fragrance or flankers that share notes and you can understand what the perfumer tried to differentiate and articulate in a bottle next to the flagship...

This is a whole different world.

Great contributions here - Furyo is truly, to me, an incredible scent. I put aside comparisons of it to anything, including Kouros. It is unto itself a work of art in Vintage formulation.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I really, really like Zino and consider it an absolute classic. Furyo has far less of those aromatic ingredients you see in the pyramid. There is a slight development as the top notes burn off after 15 minutes, but it's basically linear after that for the next 12+ hours: an accord of very sweet incense, civet, honey, and musk that just goes and goes. Much sweeter and way more incensey than Zino. I don't really get "incense" from Zino, more the classic perfumery ingredients in its pyramid.

I never really noticed much relation between the two.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I got my bottle, but it's not my thing...if someone's interested i have a full VINTAGE 100ml bottle, so PM me

Another great animalic incense scent is vintage Rumba (make sure it says Balenciaga and not Lapidus on the bottle). This one can still be had for $30 or so on ebay if you are patient, but some sellers are selling the Lapidus with a pic of the Balenciaga so be careful. Totally unisex if you like florals and wait for the top notes to subside.