Code of Conduct

Default What's Your Favourite Designer Scented Aftershave Balm?

I have quite a number of aftershave balms which I have accumulated over the years, either in gift sets or picking them up cheap. But only two really stand out as having a luxurious feel about them. The others are either less rich (though they may have lasting power), or are lacking in lasting power scent wise, or don't quite represent the scent very well, or are somewhat watery. Nearly all, however, do a good job of soothing the skin.

Using aftershave balms or splashes together with the EDT is the most common way that men "layer" a scent, though they may also use the shower gel of the same scent in addition to, or instead of the balm.

My two favourites are Tiffany For Men Aftershave Balm, which came in a luxurious pump bottle the same size as the EDT, and the Paco Rabanne PH Balm which is extra rich and with a thick creamy feel to it.

The Tiffany balm is a particularly unusual one for me. I have actually received quite a few compliments over the years when I wore it, and it alone. But have never received any form of positive comment when I've worn the Tiffany EDT.

The best value ones are the Calvin Klein ones which came in 200ml tubes for the same price as others in 100ml tubes.

My absolute worst one is the Latitude Longitude Aftershave Gel - it stings my face like hell.

Do you have any favourite that stands out?
    Regards,
    Renato

P.S. I forgot to mention, the longest lasting balm I have is the Joop Homme one that I got about ten years ago. It lasts for over a day and a half with good output. It can best be described as having the consistency of a very runny gel - but regardless it worked nicely in soothing the skin

The shortest lasting one I ever came across was Drakkar Noir - a nice thick creamy balm, but it lasted less than an hour, and it didn't have much by way of strength at any time during that hour.
    Last edited by Renato; 29th April 2011 at 10:43 PM.

Default Re: What's Your Favourite Designer Scented Aftershave Balm?

I buy a lot of matching aftershave balms, but most don't smell too good. Most smell like plastic or rubber and don't match the EDTs too well.

However, by far the best I've had is Quorum aftershave balm. The stuff is awesome. It smells exactly like the EDT and is nice and strong. I'd go so far as to say that it's almost good enough as a less intense version of the EDT. Plus, it does its job as a balm very well, especially when layered with the aftershave lotion, which I also have.

The worst balm is that for Cool Water. Smells nothing like CW, more like rubber. I actually threw away the whole tube after only two uses. Total garbage.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I buy a lot of matching aftershave balms, but most don't smell too good. Most smell like plastic or rubber and don't match the EDTs too well.

However, by far the best I've had is Quorum aftershave balm. The stuff is awesome. It smells exactly like the EDT and is nice and strong. I'd go so far as to say that it's almost good enough as a less intense version of the EDT. Plus, it does its job as a balm very well, especially when layered with the aftershave lotion, which I also have.

The worst balm is that for Cool Water. Smells nothing like CW, more like rubber. I actually threw away the whole tube after only two uses. Total garbage.
    That's interesting - despite Quorum being on sale cheaply everywhere here, I've never seen the balm for it.

You're right about the balms not matching exactly. Some notes do get muted out. I notice it when I make up my own balms by mixing three squirts of EDT into Nivea for Men Extra Sensitive (Fragrance Neutral) - sometimes the result is very good, but sometimes it kills off quite a few notes.

I forgot to mention that the main problem with balms is that they do go off, or at least change for the worse. I keep most of mine in my fridge. The problem is that when you buy one, you have no idea whether it's old or fresh.
    Regards,
    Renato

Banned

Because the evaporation rate is much different from a balm then it is from alchohol perfumers must tweak the compositions or else the aroma may be totally off in a balm. The a/s balms in particular usually smell similar, but not identical, to the EdC/EdT and the products often intended to complement each other.

I rarely use anything but my favorite non-scented a/s but I've amassed a few good designer aftershave balms.

Like the OP I also have the Tiffany for Men a/s balm and love it.
    Dior used to make a line of Fahrenheit skin care products, including an SPF8 face moisturizer that functions as an a/s balm.
    From a gift set I have Prada Amber Pour Homme in balm, plus the best of them all:
    Ralph Lauren Polo in aftershave balm is extremely potent. I've received comments on it several hours after shaving.

I love the Terre de Hermes aftershave balm....
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

My swap list

Avon Wild Country a/s balm is good stuff...it's a lighter weight balm and soothes really well. Cheap stuff. I reach for it more than the EDT, and it smells true to the EDT, very clean, floral, and classic barbershop. It's the only scented balm I'm using currently.

The Tiffany a/s balm sounds really great, I'll have to check it out.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Blog Entries

While I don't usually apply a scented aftershave balm due to my sensitive/acne prone skin, I do have dry hands and will use aftershave balm as a hand lotion.

Basically any of the Chanel aftershave balms are my favorites. A family friend that came back to the U.S. from Europe a few years ago gave me a bottle of Chanel Pour Monsieur aftershave, and I loved it. It was actually that balm that spurred me to buy the Pour Monsieur EDT.

Also, generally any brand that specializes in skin-care/make-up or has their own beauty divisions tend to have higher quality balms and washes and whatnot. Dior, Lancôme, Shiseido, Estee Lauder, L'Occitane, etc.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Basenotes Institution

I have quite a few balms I enjoy including:

Aramis
    Terre d'Hermes
    Habit Rouge
    Narciso Rodriguez for Men
    Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men
    Richard James (Savile Row)
    YSL Live Jazz
    Green Irish Tweed (not designer though)
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    Because the evaporation rate is much different from a balm then it is from alchohol perfumers must tweak the compositions or else the aroma may be totally off in a balm. The a/s balms in particular usually smell similar, but not identical, to the EdC/EdT and the products often intended to complement each other.

I rarely use anything but my favorite non-scented a/s but I've amassed a few good designer aftershave balms.

Like the OP I also have the Tiffany for Men a/s balm and love it.
    Dior used to make a line of Fahrenheit skin care products, including an SPF8 face moisturizer that functions as an a/s balm.
    From a gift set I have Prada Amber Pour Homme in balm, plus the best of them all:
    Ralph Lauren Polo in aftershave balm is extremely potent. I've received comments on it several hours after shaving.
    Thanks. I got the Polo one recently, but haven't used it yet. Now I'm looking forward to testing it out.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    While I don't usually apply a scented aftershave balm due to my sensitive/acne prone skin, I do have dry hands and will use aftershave balm as a hand lotion.

Basically any of the Chanel aftershave balms are my favorites. A family friend that came back to the U.S. from Europe a few years ago gave me a bottle of Chanel Pour Monsieur aftershave, and I loved it. It was actually that balm that spurred me to buy the Pour Monsieur EDT.

Also, generally any brand that specializes in skin-care/make-up or has their own beauty divisions tend to have higher quality balms and washes and whatnot. Dior, Lancôme, Shiseido, Estee Lauder, L'Occitane, etc.
    Which reminds me. L'Occitane have Cade, which among that line has a great smelling aftershave balm - but which doesn't have a matching EDT. Very strange.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Green Irish Tweed (not designer though)
    I didn't mention niche because the only niche balm I could think of was the GIT one.
    I've been tempted to buy it.
    What sort of longevity do you get out of it - around an hour, or around three hours, or around 7 hours?
    Thanks,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

YSL Live Jazz
    Ooh, what's that one like?

Nivea for Men Revitalizing with Q10

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Nivea for Men Revitalizing with Q10
    I'm a big fan of the Nivea for Men Aftershave Balm range too. It always amazes me the number of versions they come up with.

I always keep some bottles of their fragrance neutral balm for making up my own designer balms - pouring some Nivea into my hand, putting three sprays of EDT into it, mixing it around with my finger and applying. This makes a decent scented balm more often than not.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Since I was a child my father used only two products which were suggested by my mother. They are Aramis and Chanel Platinum Egoiste.

For Aramis product, he uses shower gel, balm/lotion, and hair gel. It is a smell that is hard to even describe. To simply put it into a word, I would say it's (cozy, idyllic, warm, heavy, smooth, and fresh). By the way over usage of this product will be a turnoff to others.

Chanel Platinum Egoiste is the second product that my mother has picked for my father. He uses shower gel and aftershave lotion.

Yves Rocher-Ginseng Actif ,L'Occitane-Cade Aftershave balm and Gucci -Envy

Bvlgari pour homme a/s balm and REN a/s balm are my favorites at this moment.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

MdM a/s balm by Marc de la Morandiere is the only one I ever used.

Basenotes Member

I do the same as Renato....I use Nivea Sensitive Skin Unscented aftershave balm mixed with a couple of squirts of whatever I'm wearing that day. Seems to work fine.

the D&G The One balm is really nice, smells much more warm & orangey than the juice. Really takes wearings to the next level.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

I once had a wonderful one from a gift box of Coriolan--wonderful stuff. Cade is great, too.
    Striving still to Truth unknown

Here's my favorite.... _9302667.jpg

Thanks for the extra input Guys.

When I first glanced at this forum, I didn't recognise this as one of my threads.
    Regards,
    Renato

So far, only have experience with the ones in the affordable designer, the Roberto Capucci, Hugo Boss, Lapidus etc. ranges- but liked it every time, no clear preference just because most, if not all of them were pleasant and efficient on skin, apart from based on good fragrances in the first place

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

I love both Lather & Wood Shaving Co Aftershave Balm and the sandalwood after shave by this company. i personally admires it soothing effect and has no burn feeling. Aftershave Balm has a fresher, more crisp scent (smells a lot like Nivea) than the sandalwood. would recommend aftershave balm to be used in sping and summer and sandalwood aftershave in winters/autumn.

using Sean John Unforgivable balm to layer with Millesime imperial. works really well and way way cheaper than the Creed balm.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
    using Sean John Unforgivable balm to layer with Millesime imperial. works really well and way way cheaper than the Creed balm.
    That's cleverly thought out. Well done.
    Regards,
    Renato