Code of Conduct

Default 17 year old guy from the UK - new to fragrance

Hello everyone,

As the title says I'm a 17 year old boy from the UK who has recently fell in love with fragrances. I'm really keen to learn as much as I can and hope to stick around the forum for a long time. I hope to learn as much as possible - but today I'm going to ask for opinions on certain products.

I know very little about fragrances but I do know that certain scents are more suited to particular seasons - So I am hoping to purchase around 4 colognes per season in order to mix it up and be prepared for all situations. Obviously i study 5 days a week but I also go out regularly on weekends (Will be clubbing when I hit 18 next month) and attend alot of suit and tie events for sports or school. I'd like quite versatile scents to match these social events.

I currently own "Le Male", Versace's "Eau Fraiche" and finally Calvin Klein's "Euphoria". All of these were christmas presents as my parents knew I was intrested in fragrances.

Below is a list of fragrances I quite like - I'd appreciate it if you could give your opinion on them, and say if you agree with the season mentioned by youtube reviewers.

Winter (Already have le male):

Burberry London
    Angel men
    Boss bottled
    Bvlgari black

Spring:

Cartier Roadster
    Channel Allure edition blanche/sport
    Prada amber

Summer (Have Eau Fraiche):

Channel Allure homme sport/edition blanche
    CK one summer
    Acqua di gio
    Lacoste red

Fall:

YSL L'homme
    YSL La nuit de l'homme
    Diesel fuel for life
    Rochas man

I also like my dad's versace "The dreamer"

I'd appreciate it if you could give opinions on the scents I mentioned, but also recommend others I might like each season. I must also add that alot of fragrances seem to be classed as "Too popular" but in my local area with people my age - hardly any guys wear the same fragrance at the same time, so this isn't a worry for me (I live in quite a small town)

Thanks everyone!

Default Re: 17 year old guy from the UK - new to fragrance

I would say that you have a pretty good foundation to begin building upon, knowledge wise. You are correct, in a general sense there are fragrances that are more season appropriate than others. Your listed fragrances all fall under the “designer” category, you may also want to look into some “niche” fragrances (they tend to be much more expensive, so, designer is a great place to start). Summer and spring are lighter fragrances, and, the aquatic, citrus, green realms are somewhat the standard. Winter and fall you see more gourmand, oriental and spice. Warm weather fragrances usually have less projection, are less dense, and are more transparent versus the thick, heavy, strong cold weather fragrances. You have clearly done some homework (and hopefully have tested the fragrances listed as well as researched them.) I would say that you are headed in the correct direction. Let me throw the following suggestions in to the mix;

Cool weather:
    HM
    The Dreamer

Warm weather:
    Live Jazz
    Booster

You may also want to do yourself a favor and test out Millesime Imperial and Rose 31. I know at 17 I wouldn’t have been able to afford bottles of these two fragrances, but, they are both fantastic scents that get a lot of attention. MI is a perfect warm weather fragrance and Rose 31 would do great in cold (though, it is very good in warm as well). Figure out what you like, read reviews and forums on this website, and test, test, test, test, test. Welcome! Enjoy the ride!

Hi. On your list:

Winter:

Burberry London
    Angel men

Spring:

Prada amber hands down

Summer:

Channel Allure edition blanche

Fall:

YSL La nuit de l'homme

Looks like a solid set. You shouldn't be too concerned about the season, though. Especially for the UK, where it doesn't really ever get too hot or too cold. As gorilla before me said, usually you are drawn towards fresh stuff in the summer and heavier, more ambery stuff in the winter, but that's just a tendency, so as long as you have something fresh and something heavier, you can choose whatever you feel like wearing.

In your set, I would highlight especially Bulgari Black. Its rubber note is striking. And it's not just winter, you can use it pretty much year round. Additional stuff you can try - since for a 17 year old the budget could be an issue, I suggest Breath of God by Lush (a smoky vetiver, which works pretty much year round, as it contains both fresh notes like vetiver, and darker ones like smoke). Pino Silvestre is very cheap in Italy, I would assume so also for the UK; it's a fresh Italian style pine herbal relaxed fragrance for summer. The Aramis line is also not too expensive and worthy (Aramis, Aramis 900, New West, Devin, etc.)

cacio

My choices for you would be the ones below from your list.

Winter (Already have le male):

Burberry London
    Angel men
    Bvlgari black

Spring:

Cartier Roadster
    Channel Allure edition blanche/sport

Summer (Have Eau Fraiche):

Channel Allure homme sport/edition blanche
    Acqua di gio
    Lacoste red

Fall: