Code of Conduct

Default Need help expanding my fragrance comfort zone/wardrobe

Hi everyone. Sorta new here. Been reading lots, posting a little. If you look at my wardrobe, most of it is items I have tried in the past and some current ones. I tend to have and mostly use Chanel's. Coco is my current favorite. Dries down warm, sorta sweetly sensual. I do love it, but am looking to broaden my horizons.

Many of the fragrances available to sample in stores in my area are very typical, nothing special. Have been hesitant to shell out for purchased samples only because there are so many I'm overwhelmed by where to start.

Some of the fragrances in my wardrobe no longer work on me. Hormonal changes have done terrible things to my skin and fragrances. I recently gave away a large quantity of Chanel Allure which used to dry down to a delicate warm floral in the pure parfum form. Now it smells like cat urine.

I just seem to be stuck on Chanel's. No. 5 is gone in about an hour on me but smells really good while it's there. Way different than it smelled on my mom even when we sampled from the same bottle.

Though I do love Boucheron's Jaipur Saphir, my husband has a hard time with that one.

Feel I need to lighten it up a bit. Pleasures has begun to bother me. Get headachey with it and it's too common. Have the same problem with aquatic notes.

Was looking at Penhaligon's Anthology Night Scented stock, Bluebell and Patou's 1000. Just based on descriptions here on BN thought I might like them.

Open to suggestions. I'm wanting to expand my knowledge base and my wardrobe. I have quite a few scents that I'm wanting to sell or give away but feel I need to have other likely candidates on the way in!

What am I looking for? Summery light floral that can handle heat and humidity without getting sickly sweet. Florals, orientals, florientals, aldehydes... really open. Haven't really thought of sticking with any one type.

Trying really hard not to get addicted to something discontinued!

Thanks for any and all help!

Off-Scenter

Default Re: Need help expanding my fragrance comfort zone/wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by cocogirl View Post
    ...Have been hesitant to shell out for purchased samples only because there are so many I'm overwhelmed by where to start. ...

...What am I looking for? Summery light floral that can handle heat and humidity without getting sickly sweet. Florals, orientals, florientals, aldehydes... really open. Haven't really thought of sticking with any one type.

Trying really hard not to get addicted to something discontinued!

Thanks for any and all help!
    Sampling is a good idea, but you're right to observe that some focus really helps! To your credit, you've given us plenty to go by, so I'd recommend sampling some of the following for more buoyant wardrobe extenders without banality or chemical distractions:

Carillon pour un Ange
    Le Parfum de Thérèse
    Thé pour un Été
    Belle en Rykiel
    Après l'Ondée
    Diorella
    Celadon
    Tocade
    L'Infante
    Visa

...and from your favored house of Chanel, Cristalle, Bel Respiro, No. 5 Eau Première, and 31 Rue Cambon.

Happy hunting!

That will indeed give me a nice place to start that is not overwhelming. The sheer volume of choices without knowing enough about them to organize was a bit off-putting in actually getting started. I will have to report back as I can sample!

Will have to try No. 5 eau Premiere and see if it lasts longer. No. 5 is so lovely on me, if only it'd last!

But onward and upward.

Thanks again, Off-Scenter!

Basenotes Plus

hmmm "Summery light floral that can handle heat and humidity without getting sickly sweet."

Plus 1 for No 5 Eau Premiere... It lasts 5-6 hours on me, which is pretty great for an Eau. Eaux are, by nature, light so you may have to reapply.

Also Check out:
    The Hermes Jardin series-
    Cinema
    The 3 in the Dior cruise line- (Escale a)
    Rykiel Rose
    Guerlain Cologne du 68

Not really floral-centric but good for heat, definately not cloying:
    Libertine (got an interesting yuzu note, instead of the standard summer citrus opening)
    Eau de Lalique- herbal, gorgeous woody dry down
    Ivoire de Balmain
    Quartz
    Balmain de Balmain
    The Penhalighan's are worth sampling- add Amarathine to your test list

Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise is rumoured to do great in hot humid weather.

Tocade is getting harder to find and it's not really summery IMO (got a dark amber base)- but it's sister scent Tocadilly (even harder to find), is perfect for hot weather.

Happy sniffing and report back!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

+1 on the Eau Premiere. Have you thought of trying some of the men's Chanels? Egoiste ,Pour Monsiour Concentree,and Anteaus all work beautifully on me-I have Egoiste on now (My Dad and my younger brother both think it smells too feminine for them-thier loss)on me it smells like tea,tobbacco,and flowers

Knit at nite - I am adding to my list! Thank you! I checked out your fragrance wardrobe and I see some similarities to mine, so thinking the scents should be right up my alley.

Likewise, I checked out Off-Scenters recommendations and they too sound like I'll love those. Can't wait!

bookwyrmsmith - Yes, LOL I actually do wear men's cologne's at times. I have Bleu de Chanel and it opens nicely and is light. While it stays pleasant, it just seems like a nice - any fragrance. Nothing spectacular - which is fine. I'll wear it now and then. My 9 year old son loves it and I'll put some on him at his request. I've smelled some of the other men's Chanels and was a bit blah about them. Not unpleasant, just didn't grab my attention.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that my husband's old vintage Royal Copenhagen Musk is worn by me more often than any other men's fragrance. I love that stuff. Maybe it takes me back to the 80's when we met - I'm not sure. I just love it. Oh my. Wasn't expecting to share the skeletons in my closet just yet.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

cocogirl, I can see your wardrobe by going through your profile page, but I don't see any icon for wardrobe on your sidebar on the left of your posts.

Does everyone but me see an icon?

Basenotes Plus

30 Roses- I had to go through cocogirl's profile page as well to view her wardrobe

Good call bookwrymsmith on the men's scent's- glad you've got youe electricity back after the tornado

cocogirl- On further thought, for florals also check out:
    Chanel Eau de Cologne and Beige although pricey
    Last edited by knit at nite; 2nd May 2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: adding
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Hmmm... how do I get my fragrance wardrobe icon to show up?

Goodness bookwyrmsmith, I hope you and yours are all right. I can imagine the devastation.

Quote Originally Posted by cocogirl View Post
    Hmmm... how do I get my fragrance wardrobe icon to show up?
    First click Settings (top of this page) then Edit Profile (left side of page) then scroll down to Show wardrobe in posts: and select YES from the drop down menu

If you like Coco, I second the suggestion to try Egoiste (make sure it's not Platinum though). I'm wondering if you might also like a lot of Serge Lutens (the sweet stewed fruitiness of many of them may work for you, as Coco has a comparable spiced sweetness). Particuarly anything from the Bois series. Maybe not great for hot weather though...

I'm a novice so forgive me if I'm wrong

Can I also suggest you don't destash yet? Your chemistry might change again and surprise you. Put them away for a year or so, then retry them.

Chanel No 5 Eau Premiere

Blog Entries

"Summery light floral that can handle heat & humidity"..... My first thought on reading your post is Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia. A really beautiful floral with good longevity, l find it develops a radiant sillage on a warm night. l have worn it many times on holiday in Greece, & it always gets compliments.
    lf l think of anything else, l'll let you know.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

I had a look at your wardrobe cocogirl . Firstly- welcome to Basenotes !

Chanels - +1 Eau Premiere
    - also perhaps Beige and No. 22 Les Exclusifs

Estee Lauder- +1 Beyond Paradise- done by the the same perfumer who did J'Adore which you have. I found it does very well in humidity as was said earlier.
    - +1 Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia and also Private Collection Jasmine White Moss.
    ( If you like Jasmine White moss - you may also like Cristalle EDT and EDP - the EDP is stronger a somewhat different from the EDT)

Dior- +1 on Diorella though you may want to try Dioressence too ! And Dior Homme which is really a gorgeous iris that's unisex to me.

Guerlain - +1 Apres L'Ondee though it's abit fleeting .
    - Idylle which is a rose chypre - the EDT is not really that available yet as far as I know but it's also very good - more rosy.

Penhaligon's - +1 Night Scented Stock but you could try Gardenia too .

At the top of my head - these are my ramblings...... I hope it helps a little. Good luck !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Chanel:

31 Rue Cambon
    No.22
    Bel Respiro

+

CDG's Stephen Jones
    Diorella
    Lys Mediterranee

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Wow, Chanel No. 5 eau Premiere I have gotten a sample of. It has that reminiscent aldehyde opening of the original with a touch of citrus and then there is a light floral center that seems to go really quickly. The drydown is sweet - ALMOST just like Coco on me but smoother. Also where Coco there's a bit of spice with the sweetness, this has a bit of floral with the sweetness.

I don't know if that makes scents (intentional). But to my untutored nose, that's what I'm getting. Really like it. So far it has better staying power than the original on me which is impressive since the original I have is pure parfum.

I suspect Thursday I can get hold of the Estee Lauder's for sampling. Sheesh I've got a long list.

Thank you all for your input. I am making notes and filling up my cart and wishlist at TPC. Will keep reporting back. Happy so far.

Oh and Fruitful-will gladly stash as I find it difficult to get rid of fragrances. Explains why I have L'Interdit but haven't so much as sniffed it in over three years! Not my thing but can't let it go. Ah well... A perfume hoarder in the making!

OMG, hours later, I can still smell No. 5 EP. It's lost all of it's warm sweetness and just has a bright light floral. That is totally unexpected. And not at all unwelcome. I'm really digging this one!

I've become such a huge fan of No. 5 EP. I'm glad you like it too.

I am having to reapply but only to get projection. It stays pretty close to the skin on me. It's really nice. When I'm not sticking my nose to my skin on application, I'm getting way more citrus at the beginning than aldehydes. Lotsa orange. Really nice citrus. I do get powdery and "heavy" briefly during the middle but it's in a really good way.

Since you mentioned florals/oriental...

You should take a look at Xerjoff...
    Irisss and Oesel I like....
    btw their entire line is mostly unisex.
    Montale - deep roses is a floral smells like sticking your noce in to roses. Its smells like the real thing and won't overwhelm you during the summer.
    Vanille Chypre By Montale is also good. Look around at teh reviews. I also reviewed these all together. Make sure to look for me review!
    Creed Royal delight Is one of the not so common ones you can also try. Leans more towards the feminine side like Deep roses. I personally love it.

These are just from my personal samples and bottles that I have tried and own.

I keep going back to Chanel, but also have a hard time with Allure and changing skin chemistry. Try No 5 EDP, it's longer lasting. And Gardenia. If you'd like something different, check out fragrances from these lines:

Parfums de Rosine
    http://www.les-parfums-de-rosine.com...ult&rub=parfum

Annick Goutal
    http://www.annickgoutal.com/en/home.aspx

DSH Perfumes
    https://www.dshperfumes.com/index_pdba.asp

L'Occitane
    http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Home.aspx

And I agree with Mimi Gardenia, you might like a few of the Diors!

Hanks sooo much. I have since last able to post purchased no 5 ep. It lasts much longer on me. But I'm still looking. I haven't yet sampled many others. I just knew the estee layered I could get but was sadly mistaken as I don't have a high end carrier near me. So orders will be made of samples. I'll be sure to report back as I sample. And will be making lists to try so if so
    Something occurs please post and I'll definitely add it!