Code of Conduct

Default Cologne for Prom!

Hey fellow BNers! It's that time of the year again! It's my senior prom in two weeks and I am stuck on deciding what to wear for the special occasion. I have a date, a suit and everything, except a cologne to wear to pull it all together. So maybe you guys can help out. First of all, I don't know whether I should go for something more summery, or wintery. I live in CT, and the weather right now is quite nice, but the dance itself will be held inside of a ballroom. Anywhoozle, here's a list of what I have to work with, but I am absolutely open to buying something new that I can wear for prom/other special occasions in college.

Here's my wardrobe:
    Rochas Man
    Animale Animale by Animale
    Lomani Ignition
    Seduction in Black by Antonio Banderas
    Victory League by Adidas
    Nautica Voyage
    Set Sail St Barts by Tommy Bahama
    Curve
    On El by Jesus del pozo
    Hollisters Socal

What do you guys think would best suit the occasion? Also, I am open to ordering a new fragrance, but it is the 14th, so I would have to order in a hurry!
    Thanks for helping and best wishes!

Default Re: Cologne for Prom!

L'instant du Guerlain Pour Homme
    Dior Homme
    Prada Amber Pour Homme

Burberry London

so you've decided to find a panty dropper fragrance... well, here's a brochure I've prepared for just such an occasion.

1. go for something that will blossom with a little bit of perspiration as the day wears on, but also pleasant and will want the girl to pull in closer
    2. needs to last a while, so make sure it will linger after your spray it on the chest. wear it a couple times.
    3. does the girl you like have a favorite scent? do NOT wear that scent, she has likely associated it with a past memory, so you need to blaze your own trail, trailblazer of scent.
    4. get you to a fragrance counter and raid it for samples. unashamedly ask for samples. you will need something that the young girls like, so it will have to be a crowd-pleaser and not over-done.

from your collection, Rochas Man may foot the bill, but you want to step up your game a bit. i'm not familiar with any of your other frags which means that they probably suck, so i suggest you find something new. Start by sampling these:

Gucci PH II - tea, spice, woods. Is there a hot teacher you have in mind as well? Nothing bad to be said about this one except longevity.

Creed Aventus. It reminds me of Vegas and the cool confident relaxed air from the Encore. Best seller from the house.

John Varvatos Vintage - your competition will have it, so i mention it as something to consider but not too crazy about this one

Burberry Touch - chicks dig it. all there is to it. Burberry Black is a nice oriental with a rubber vibe. warm and inviting, but its unisex, so try it out

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir... the 'brilliant black' citrus from this one will go well with the tux or suit (assuming it's black of course). its a bit high society so the teenage chicks may not like this one.

JPG LM - seriously. millions of fans can't be wrong. if you play your cards right and are well groomed, it will work in your favor.

YSL La Nuit de L'Homme - nice, but not PROM night nice. another one I mention solely to steer you away from

Hanae Mori HM - get the EDP if you can. the girls love this one, but you should know its a floral and you may not be up to wearing that. but the lemon, honey, floral, amber mix is just intoxicating. which is another term for cloying. don't overapply.

Arpege by Lanvin. Orange creamsicle, warm, woody. It's a bit on the mature side, but another crowd pleaser gourmond. But it's completely different from anything your friends will have.

Creed GIT, another wild card. What hasn't been said about this frag? Again, a little too mature for your crowd, but if it were me, I'd go with this one.
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    L'instant du Guerlain Pour Homme
    Dior Homme
    Prada Amber Pour Homme
    excellent recs

Sur la Plage

Dior Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

If you want to smell like the prom itself, wear Lorenzo Villoresi Garofano. It smells like being in a room with hundreds of people with carnations in their lapels. ;-) Seriously though, I'm not familiar with the fragrances in your wardrobe, but if I were you, I'd get down to my top four and then apply them to your wrists and elbows, go for a nice sweaty run and then see which one smells the best on you. Remember, you'll be wearing a tux and dancing a lot.

aww. how cute

YSL L'homme is the best choice here. From what you already have? Rochas Man. U dont want to get something too strong. L'homme is perfect for this. Do itttt

From your collection, I would wear Rochas Man or Animale Animale. They're both distinctive enough to leave a great impression. I usually don't wear new scents to special events as I like to figure a fragrance out first, before I showcase it in that way.
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garšons
    Love & Luck by Ed Hardy
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

DeepSilence

Rochas Man is a good choice. If you want to try something new, I suggest you Opium Pour Homme, Burberry Touch, Bvlgari Black, Eau Sauvage.

Rochas Man
    -- Just make sure you do close sprays (spritzer really close to your skin), so it'll project and last better.

Have fun on your prom!

Same Situation cept i got a different collection:

Pure malt
    L'instant de Guerlain EDP
    Chrome
    La Nuit
    MI
    Allure Homme
    Fuel for life
    L'eau d'issey
    Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by liner View Post

Pure malt
    Chrome
    La Nuit
    MI
    Allure Homme
    Fuel for life
    L'eau d'issey
    Dreamer
    You have a lot of great options:

Dreamer - I don't know what it smells like on you, but this could be sexy & unique enough to be perfect for a prom night. Plus, the Dreamer tends to sparkle, at least to my nose, making it appropriate for a memorable evening.

Allure Homme - Just a damn good, never-fail scent that's both elegant, approachable and masculine all at the same time. I've already decided that my corpse will be spritzed with this at my funeral.

La Nuit - this is got a nice sexy vibe, with the tonka bean dry down. Could be a big hit with the ladies. I can't speak more specifically as I've never owned it.

L'Instant de Guerlain EDP - both elegant and distinctive, and you'll probably guaranteed to be the only one wearing it.

No matter which you choose, make sure that it is something that you love to wear, makes you feel confident and bold and lasts a considerable amount of time (unless you're wise enough to carry a small atomizer).

I loved fragrances even back in high school (only 24yrs old now) and yet I have no recollection of what I was wearing on that night. Just shows you how inconsequential these things really are...Prom was one of the happiest nights of my young life!
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garšons
    Love & Luck by Ed Hardy
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Quote Originally Posted by liner View Post

Pure malt
    Chrome
    La Nuit
    MI
    Allure Homme
    Fuel for life
    L'eau d'issey
    Dreamer
    Guerlain is my top pick, but those are the top choices imo

Blog Entries

Since this is a spring occasion, I'd recommend any Vetiver-dominant fragrance (e.g. Givenchy Vetyver), or New West for Him by Aramis (which is not vetiver-dominant).

Yes, Prada Infusion d'Homme is nice, too. I'd also recommend Tuscany by Aramis.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Oh prom. There are a lot of great suggestions here. My qualm is that, as far as i remember, girls at that age haven't really developed a liking for the spicier "night time" scents listed here. For any normal formal occasion, I would totally agree that something more sophisticated with those spice/floral/animalistic notes would be what you want. Prom, as i remember it, was a bunch of sweaty kids bumping and grinding in full formal attire. That said, im going to deviate a bit and suggest something like cool water. Its watery and fresh (will work great through the heat and sweat) and its a longevity monster. Green Irish tweed or millisime imperial would be great too, but they're a lot more expensive and as a high school student... well, 200+ for cologne is a bit excessive. Guerlain's l'homme or azzaro's chrome would work pretty well too, but I'm still going with Davidoff's cool water as my top choice. I would just make sure that shes never smelled it before; I was lucky enough to go to a school where no one really used cologne

Remember it's prom.... So honestly, from my own experience (my own prom and being dragged to proms by girls i knew from other schools...)

1. Drakkar Noir. Girls love this scent, it reminds them of their first high school crush, and still has the same effect on them.
    2. Burberry Touch/Brit. girls like the powedery vanilla scent here.
    3. L'Instant the Guerlain. Unique, but might not be the way they appreciate it.
    4. Cool Water - nice but too common!
    5. Azzarro Chrome - works well even in sweaty dance heat.

Honestly? Drakkar. It's a 100% safe bet with girls in that age range.

Drakkar was always a Jr High scent with me... just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by scenternerian View Post
    3. does the girl you like have a favorite scent? do NOT wear that scent, she has likely associated it with a past memory, so you need to blaze your own trail, trailblazer of scent.

So crack open an ice-cold Bud Light, Mr. Trailblazer of scent guy, because when a trail of scent needs to be blazed, you'll be the blazer of that trail.

(Reeeeeeeeeal men of geeeeeeeenius)

hmm, let me see. Unfortunately, Looks like I am not familiar with any fragrance from your wardrobe, but I hope to be of any help by picking some scents from my wardrobe that I think would suit you and the occassion.

you can try:

Creed Millesime Imperial
    JPG Le Male
    Chanel Allure Sport
    L Eau D Issey by Issey Miyake

Go nuts and get a new one!

La Nuit is phenomenal. A mix between clubbing and romantic.

I┤d agree with L┤Instant Extreme.

And since you┤re going nuts, try Dior Midnight Poison too. You┤ll be surprise.

Black Orchid EDP is another winner, on the feminine side (that men can wear).

From your wardrobe I┤d stick with Rochas Man, although I have some sillage problems with this one...