Code of Conduct

Default Which Colonia? -and my trip to Paris.

I have just come back after my trip to Paris. Unfortunately I didn`t have time to discover the fragrances from Aqua di Parma, but one day I passed a guy on the street that smelled amazing! I stopped him, and asked what he was wearing. He said "Aqua di Parma". I asked which one, but his english was so bad he didn`t understand.. I wonder which one it could be? It smelled fresh, modern, sophisticated and complex, with very good sillage. What do you think guys? -And which Colonia do you think is the best? The original Colonia, Assoluta, Essenza, or Intensa?

-By the way. I got a impression that the most "hyped" and hot fragrance in Paris right now is the new Hermès Un Jardin Sur Le Toit. The Hermès departments had whole walls "papered" with Un Jardin Sur le Toit. I bought a bottle, and it smells great! Perfect for the warmer climate. I was also very surprised, that Creed seems like a very anonymous brand in Paris. I did only see the small Creed section in the Printemps (didn`t have time to visit the creed boutique), but I was very surprised when I discovered the whole Creed line in a ordinary pharmacy among tablets and creams :-) By the way, I was very impressed over the perfume-department at both Gallerie Lafayette and Printemps, but I was frustrated to not find a singel fragrance from Aramis!?

Default Re: Which Colonia? -and my trip to Paris.

Best AdP has never been resolved here on BN. They all have their charms.

If you heard angels singing while smelling his fragrance it was most certainly the original COLONIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    By the way. I got a impression that the most "hyped" and hot fragrance in Paris right now is the new Hermès Un Jardin Sur Le Toit. The Hermès departments had whole walls "papered" with Un Jardin Sur le Toit. I bought a bottle, and it smells great! Perfect for the warmer climate. I was also very surprised, that Creed seems like a very anonymous brand in Paris. I did only see the small Creed section in the Printemps (didn`t have time to visit the creed boutique), but I was very surprised when I discovered the whole Creed line in a ordinary pharmacy among tablets and creams :-) By the way, I was very impressed over the perfume-department at both Gallerie Lafayette and Printemps, but I was frustrated to not find a singel fragrance from Aramis!?
    This section of Boulevard Haussmann (between the rear of the opera house and Rue Tronchet, the street that goes to La Madeleine) has probably the most massive concentration of perfume retail worldwide. If you can't get enough out of Galleries Lafayette and Le Printemps you might want to explore the small Sephora close to Saint Lazare train station or the Guerlain boutique rue Tronchet, but that's not necessary really since the 2 department stores have almost everything. The only ones that are not there are Chanel exclusives, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, Frederic Malle and the Serge Lutens non export line, plus a few very exclusive (boutique only) niche brands. Chanel, MFK, FM and SL are still within a walking distance.

I agree with you, Un Jardin Sur Le Toit is everywhere and Hermes seems to be pushing sales quite aggressively with that one.

I don't think you missed much by not visiting the Creed boutique. I'm going to get flamed for writing this but it is located in a part of Paris that is mostly famous for... tailoring, not fragrance. For someone spending only a few days in Paris it makes much more sense timewise to stay within the triangle between Opera, Concorde and Palais Royal.

The basic structure of all the Colonia by Acqua di Parma is the same, so it's really a matter of preference. Mine is for the Assoluta, which is a touch greener. The basic one is probably the strongest.

AdP is an Italian brand, so there was really no advantage in smelling or purchasing in Paris. I'm sure it's be available in Oslo as well.

cacio

I was frustrated to not find a single fragrance from Aramis!?
    Doesn't surprise me at all.

Personally I preferred the Intensa. Is it possible it could be one of the Blu Mediterraneo's?

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The basic structure of all the Colonia by Acqua di Parma is the same, so it's really a matter of preference. Mine is for the Assoluta, which is a touch greener. The basic one is probably the strongest.

AdP is an Italian brand, so there was really no advantage in smelling or purchasing in Paris. I'm sure it's be available in Oslo as well.

cacio
    Realy? I thought maby the Intensa was the strongest.

I like Un Jardin Sur Le Toit too

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    This section of Boulevard Haussmann (between the rear of the opera house and Rue Tronchet, the street that goes to La Madeleine) has probably the most massive concentration of perfume retail worldwide. If you can't get enough out of Galleries Lafayette and Le Printemps you might want to explore the small Sephora close to Saint Lazare train station or the Guerlain boutique rue Tronchet, but that's not necessary really since the 2 department stores have almost everything. The only ones that are not there are Chanel exclusives, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, Frederic Malle and the Serge Lutens non export line, plus a few very exclusive (boutique only) niche brands. Chanel, MFK, FM and SL are still within a walking distance.

I agree with you, Un Jardin Sur Le Toit is everywhere and Hermes seems to be pushing sales quite aggressively with that one.

I don't think you missed much by not visiting the Creed boutique. I'm going to get flamed for writing this but it is located in a part of Paris that is mostly famous for... tailoring, not fragrance. For someone spending only a few days in Paris it makes much more sense timewise to stay within the triangle between Opera, Concorde and Palais Royal.
    -Yep, the assortment are impressive at these two department stores. Just to mention: Bond no.9 and M.P.G was missing ;-)

Colonia.

Colonia (though I suspect more synthetics have been added lately) is truly a gem of perfumery and an excellent example of the floral eau de cologne genre started in the 18th Century.

Which one has best sillage and staying-power?

Basenotes Plus

Just thanked you for this thread because I loved vicariously shopping in Paris with you!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I think Intensa has the best longevity on me, but I am also a big fan of the original Colonia and Assoluta. Intensa and Assoluta are each very well-made variations on the original classic.

My opinion = Assoluta

Eau de javel

Sur la Plage

Intensa - which is the one I prefer.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

-Yep, the assortment are impressive at these two department stores. Just to mention: Bond no.9 and M.P.G was missing ;-)
    MPG has their flagship store near Opera (5, rue des Capucines - 75001). Bond is a "lowly" (cough) American brand.
    Scents are fleeting . . . memories are not. . . .

Colonia is the most beautiful, and my favorite. Love the stuff to death.

I prefer Assoluta of the lot. However, they are all full bottle worthy in my opinion.

I prefer Assoluta.....The original comes next.....Then Intensa.....I have yet to smell Essenza!!!
    gary

Colonia assoluta is beautiful and happy cologne ( neroli - rose -jasmin )
    I like and wear when I need something refreshing , light .
    Colonia Intensa is more than EDC , more complex like masculines Monsieur fragrances .
    and Intensa not ever works well on my skin .
    I have and weart both .
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Intensa is the one that lasts and lasts. It's lovely stuff.

Every well-rounded fragrance collection requires a bottle of Colonia. You will not be disappointed. Every time I wear it I feel so witty and sophisticated. Works in any number of situations. A must.

My favorite of the Blu Mediterraneo line is Mirto.

Overall, I have a feeling I could have a serious love affair with this house. Maybe one of my projects for this summer.

Good thread.

I like Assoluta and Intensa but have yet to make up my mind.

I saw Creed being sold at pharmacies too and as you said is not a big deal in Paris as it is in the US and UK.
    I too did not make an effort to visit the boutique which was pretty far away from the Haussman / Place Vendome area.

The Colonia is your typical eau de cologne-citrusy type of feel scent. The one I prefer is the Intensa which has a more sophisticated/elegant dry down.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

In terms of strength and longevity: Assoluta >> Intensa/Essenza >> Colonia
    - the white musk in Assoluta's base is mainly responsible for it's serious longevity.

Personal preference: Colonia >> Assoluta >> Intensa >> Essenza
    Essenza is a quality, well blended frag, but one must like white flowers in the traditional cologne mix to really appreciate this.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I've tried Colonia, Intensa and Assoluta. Assoluta and Intensa have the best longevity. But the original Colonia is the best scent, imo.

-By the way. I got a impression that the most "hyped" and hot fragrance in Paris right now is the new Hermès Un Jardin Sur Le Toit.
    Besides Acqua Di Parma You may try the Borsari - Acqua Classica 1870. It is too citrusy fresh but a more herbal manly take on the genre. Darn cheap too. All natural according to their site. Dries down to a very faint coniferous/herbal smell.

ADP is easyly available at Douglas, an all European chain store.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 2nd May 2011 at 08:17 AM.