Code of Conduct

Default I received my Chanel Egoiste from Chanel today...Initial Review

Hello Basenoters....I received my 100 ml of Chanel Egoiste from the Chanel website...took about 4 days to get to me...it even came in a very nice black Chanel bag... I could not find this fragrance anywhere at my local department stores, so had to purchase it directly from Chanel as a blind buy... here is my initial review on this fragrance... one spray on my wrist... initial sniff is very spicy and oriental... similar to Amouage Epic woman... a very unique scent...sweet and somewhat bitter at the same time... a very nice dark rose note appears as it dries down about a minute later... no musk at all in this fragrance... somewhat feminine, but at the same time masculine... I know i can rock this fragrance... smells like a million dollar... as you keep sniffing it you will get the vanilla and sandalwood.... there is tangerine in the top notes and I kind of picking up now...this no weak fragrance... a very strong and in your face fragrance... nothing like Platinum Egoiste...I don't seen anyone under 25 wearing this fragrance...this is a more mature scent.... my initial grade for Chanel Egoiste is... 9/10... a very nice fragrance.... I like this one a lot...

Ok, I got a chance to analyzed Chanel Egoiste...and here's my conclusion...if Chergui mated with Amouage Epic Woman and had a kid = Chanel Egoiste...not as strong as the parents though...it has that sweet tobacco and hay sugar like Chergui, and the spices, cinnamon, roses, sandalwood from Amouage Epic Woman...
    Last edited by change1; 3rd May 2011 at 01:33 AM.
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: I received my Chanel Egoiste from Chanel today...Initial Review

Isn't platinum in your face? Could you compare them regarding projection and longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDefender View Post
    Isn't platinum in your face? Could you compare them regarding projection and longevity?
    Platinum Egoiste is more of a fresh...pineapple metallic clean scent... kind of like Bond No. 9 Riverside Drive...also Platinum is not dark, rosy or oriental..... as of projection and longevity, i have to wear Egoiste a few times before I can compare it to Platinum Egoiste... I see no similarity between the 2 fragrance as in the scent...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDefender View Post
    Platinum is definitely more in your face, but it doesn't last. After about ten minutes the metallic herbal burst of Platinum subsides and recedes. However, I didn't find Egoiste to be much of a strength or sillage horse. Seemed more like an understated skinscent to me.

I am happy for your blind buy worked out for you. It's a wonderful fragrance.

Still, I am contractually-obliged to tell you to sample first. So do it.

lol strange! i get plenty of sweet musk and smooth creamy vanilla with the rose subtly accompanying the creaminess. It is accompanied by hints of cinnamon. But yes, amazing scent

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Platinum is definitely more in your face, but it doesn't last. After about ten minutes the metallic herbal burst of Platinum subsides and recedes. However, I didn't find Egoiste to be much of a strength or sillage horse. Seemed more like an understated skinscent to me.
    Wow, I had this in '97. I regularly got complaints from my house mates, it was an absolute monster. Loved it.

I actually ordered one directly from Chanel as well last weekend, and I should receive it on Wednesday. I already have a vintage bottle, but I actually prefer the latest formulation because it's a little lighter and brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Hello Basenoters....I received my 100 ml of Chanel Egoiste from the Chanel website...took about 4 days to get to me...it even came in a very nice black Chanel bag... I could not find this fragrance anywhere at my local department stores, so had to purchase it directly from Chanel as a blind buy... here is my initial review on this fragrance... one spray on my wrist... initial sniff is very spicy and oriental... similar to Amouage Epic woman... a very unique scent...sweet and somewhat bitter at the same time... a very nice dark rose note appears as it dry down about a minute later... no musk at all in this fragrance... somewhat feminine, but at the same time masculine... I know i can rock this fragrance... smells like a million dollar... as you keep sniffing it you will get the vanilla and sandalwood.... there is tangerine in the top notes and I kind of picking up now...this no weak fragrance... a very strong and in your face fragrance... nothing like Platinum Egoiste... my initial grade for Chanel Egoiste is... 9/10... a very nice fragrance.... I like it a lot...
    I just picked this up from the marketplace here and it came today. I completely agree. It is one of the best blind buys I have made. I think I can pull off one spray under my shirt in the summer too. I love the evolution of egoiste. The rose is awesome and this lasts forever so far. 9/10 for me too.

A legendary fragrance that stands tall and puts to shame a lot of the Chanel modern offerings like the Allure line.

is an absolutely MUST HAVE
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garšons man 2

Good Post change1, glad to hear you guy's are pleased with Egoiste.

I went shopping for it today too. At the first store they only had Egoiste Platinum in stock. I could only remember a post recently where someone stated, to make sure to get Egoiste and not Egoiste Platinum. So at that store I got instead Pour Monsieur. Then I drove to another store that carry's Chanel and at first only saw the Platinum, and quickly noticed they had a bottle of Antaeus and tried to get that only to find they only had left in stock the tester. So I ordered that one instead at that store.

On my way out I noticed that they did have Egotiste only it was displayed on the women's aisle. By then I had spent enough on colognes for the day. I got Allure from that sales lady. The first store threw in a collectable Bulgari Aqua which was in itself kinda cute, and she also gave me a spray sampler vial of A*Men which I would normally not consider but if it's free it's for me.

Maybe next time Egoiste ;-)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hey.its.me View Post
    Good Post change1, glad to hear you guy's are pleased with Egoiste.

I went shopping for it today too. At the first store they only had Egoiste Platinum in stock. I could only remember a post recently where someone stated, to make sure to get Egoiste and not Egoiste Platinum. So at that store I got instead Pour Monsieur. Then I drove to another store that carry's Chanel and at first only saw the Platinum, and quickly noticed they had a bottle of Antaeus and tried to get that only to find they only had left in stock the tester. So I ordered that one instead at that store.

On my way out I noticed that they did have Egotiste only it was displayed on the women's aisle. By then I had spent enough on colognes for the day. I got Allure from that sales lady. The first store threw in a collectable Bulgari Aqua which was in itself kinda cute, and she also gave me a spray sampler vial of A*Men which I would normally not consider but if it's free it's for me.

Maybe next time Egoiste ;-)
    As far as I know Egoiste is only at Chanel boutiques/online in the US - no department stores.

I've had a bottle of Egoiste for about 6-7 years and I still can't wrap my head around it. I want to like, I know it's well made and very stately - but there's something in the topnotes that turns me off. Not sure if it's the aldehydes or the 'tangerine' note or what, but I still can't get into it after dozens and dozens of tries....

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    Hello Basenoters....I received my 100 ml of Chanel Egoiste from the Chanel website...took about 4 days to get to me...it even came in a very nice black Chanel bag... I could not find this fragrance anywhere at my local department stores, so had to purchase it directly from Chanel as a blind buy... here is my initial review on this fragrance... one spray on my wrist... initial sniff is very spicy and oriental... similar to Amouage Epic woman... a very unique scent...sweet and somewhat bitter at the same time... a very nice dark rose note appears as it dries down about a minute later... no musk at all in this fragrance... somewhat feminine, but at the same time masculine... I know i can rock this fragrance... smells like a million dollar... as you keep sniffing it you will get the vanilla and sandalwood.... there is tangerine in the top notes and I kind of picking up now...this no weak fragrance... a very strong and in your face fragrance... nothing like Platinum Egoiste...I don't seen anyone under 25 wearing this fragrance...this is a more mature scent.... my initial grade for Chanel Egoiste is... 9/10... a very nice fragrance.... I like this one a lot...
    Really good stuff for the money. Now keep your eyes on ebay and get a bottle of Egoiste Concentree for a 10/10 scent.

Its a fantastic fragrance.

If you can find a vintage one, with the Eau de Toilette typed above the chanel logo, go for it, is richer, denser and stronger.

But the current formulation still great, only less rich and more sharp in the opening!

Ok, I got a chance to analyzed Chanel Egoiste...and here's my conclusion...if Chergui mated with Amouage Epic Woman and had a kid = Chanel Egoiste...not as strong as the parents though...it has that sweet tobacco and hay sugar like Chergui, and the spices, cinnamon, roses, sandalwood from Amouage Epic Woman....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Glad you liked your blind buy, I wasn't too sure about it when I first got my Egoiste blind - but it grew on me.

There is another scent very similar to it, which arguably is slightly more masculine, namely Trumpers Sandalwood Cologne.
    Regards,
    Renato

You can find Egoiste in some shopping mall fragrance shops, the ones that have fragrances stacked to the ceiling. It's also in some duty free shops. I'd say try before you buy. . . but then, I buy lots of fragrances blind online, so I'm really the last person to be giving that advice.

I fell in love with it after snatching a quick couple of sprays at duty free shops. Now, whenever I wear it, I think about a flight from LA to Honolulu last summer, on which I applied just a little from the duty free store right before boarding. I bought it online the minute I got home. A good buy.

Wouldn't be without Chanel Egoiste in my collection.

Sur la Plage

It is the best Chanel men's fragrance.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    +1. and do also try the shower-gel. It`s absolutely heavenly!

I have the newer formulation.... love it, but can't quite decipher it yet..... I could almost swear there is a sweet, cola syrup note (reminds me of cola syrup I bought many years ago at the pharmacy). I don't know what in the listed notes would give me that impression, & I have seen it mentioned by anyone else, but, there it is...

When I sniffed Egoiste on paper I knew the Mr. wouldn't like it (he likes neither sweet nor spicy/incensey) but after reading on a BN thread that it can work as a feminine, I tried it myself last night. The opening was a bit unfriendly (seemed too fruity for me), but the heart notes were quite intriguing. It definitely did not feel too masculine. I'm not quite sure what to make of it at first glance but am willing to give it a few more tries - when the Mr. is not around!

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    However, I didn't find Egoiste to be much of a strength or sillage horse. Seemed more like an understated skinscent to me.
    I made a mental note to spray (VERY) light on the trigger -- this stuff project and lasts!

Not that I mind, because it's one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by silversurfer View Post
    I have the newer formulation.... love it, but can't quite decipher it yet..... I could almost swear there is a sweet, cola syrup note (reminds me of cola syrup I bought many years ago at the pharmacy). I don't know what in the listed notes would give me that impression, & I have seen it mentioned by anyone else, but, there it is...
    Could be a bit of ginger, that is there in Bois Des Iles too (BdI is Egoiste's grand father).

Nice review; I'm glad you like it!

I like the beautifully smooth base, but I can't stand that massive medicinal rosewood note on top, along with the citrus and spice. It just makes my throat ache, it's so overwhelming syrupy sweet. This is a quality scent that just isn't my style.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I wore Egoiste today to work, and it really smell nice... 2 spray on the back of the neck and 1 on the chest...wonderful scent...and longevity is good too...8+ hrs...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    Could be a bit of ginger, that is there in Bois Des Iles too (BdI is Egoiste's grand father).
    Anyone loving Egoiste should at least try Bois des Iles once. Both jawdroppers!

change1 - lovely review. Great to have a review in a thread form from time to time. With everyone's input it give it a lot more credibility in my books. example: Joe made a statement "It is the best Chanel men's fragrance"
    That did it for me! lol

It's one of my current favorites, amazing projecting and lasting power.

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    change1 - lovely review. Great to have a review in a thread form from time to time. With everyone's input it give it a lot more credibility in my books. example: Joe made a statement "It is the best Chanel men's fragrance"
    That did it for me! lol
    Thank you kccparis....when I wear Chanel Egoiste...it has that same vibe like YSL M7, Amouage Epic Woman, Shalimar, Musc Ravageur...all are wonderful and top notch fragrances...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

i have egoiste [not platinum], and the cheap denim musk, and as crass as this may sound i think they are very similar, i am not a fragrance expert by any stretch, and many of you will be thinking, 'aint that the truth', having just read my comparison, but i think its worthwhile testing my conclusion, if you get a chance, the chanel does reveal an oriental flower at its heart, and it is an amazing scent, but there is a sweetness in the denim musk that on blind testing has been chosen over the chanel by freinds of mine...quite similar both, particularly on top.

and before you ask, nope, i do not work for Denim!!!

i have egoiste [not platinum], and the cheap denim musk, and as crass as this may sound i think they are very similar, i am not a fragrance expert by any stretch, and many of you will be thinking, 'aint that the truth', having just read my comparison, but i think its worthwhile testing my conclusion, if you get a chance, the chanel does reveal an oriental flower at its heart, and it is an amazing scent, but there is a sweetness in the denim musk that on blind testing has been chosen over the chanel by freinds of mine...quite similar both, particularly on top.

and before you ask, nope, i do not work for Denim!!!

Congrats on Your blind buy!!! This is a wonderful fragrance indeed!!!
    Gary

I love Egoiste though I wish it were a bit denser (I guess that's what the Concentree is for) and with a more substantial bottle/cap.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eov8b View Post
    I love Egoiste though I wish it were a bit denser (I guess that's what the Concentree is for) and with a more substantial bottle/cap.
    My feelings exactly.

Also I can't help but feel that despite the high praise it gets here on basenotes, Egoiste isn't the most popular of the Chanel masculine range. It isn't even available at stores here in Connecticut. Platinum (which is inferior) must sell better, because that's the only one stocked. The only time I've encountered Egoiste outside of major cities is in airport duty free shops. what gives? would be nice to see this one at Macy's so I could just buy it whenever I feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Better than Pour Monsieur Concentree ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Better than Pour Monsieur Concentree ?
    Egoiste is just a bit better.... Pour Monsieur Concentree is pretty awesome too...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

The high shipping costs to canada and extra customs charges makes me want to buy from ebay instead......

ok dont tell me there are fakes of this as well

It seems the Egoiste deo-stick and showergel has been discontinued. Is this the beginning of the end for the legendary Egoiste?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    It seems the Egoiste deo-stick and showergel has been discontinued. Is this the beginning of the end for the legendary Egoiste?
    Are you sure? I've never seen the deo stick in the UK but have done so in Germany and (recently) Spain.

Indeed: most countries I've checked don't have the deostick available. The dutch site does however: egoiste @ dutch chanel site

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    Indeed: most countries I've checked don't have the deostick available. The dutch site does however: egoiste @ dutch chanel site
    So it`s not discontinued? Great! Does CHANEL have a own web-shop? I`ve been looking for the showergel for a while now. My bottle is soon empty, and it smells divine!

I know this is an old thread, but I love my Egoiste. I am finding longevity issues with it though. I have heard at certain times it reminds people of Musc Ravageur, but I have never smelled any Fredrick Malle. I was wondering if there is anything with good longevity and this cinnamon vibe?

Am I the only one that thinks Egoiste smells similar to M7? Not exactly alike, but similar theme?
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Egoiste smells similar to M7? Not exactly alike, but similar theme?
    It doesn't smell similar, but it has the same kind of feel to it... dark, mysterious and very unique....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

So it`s not discontinued? Great! Does CHANEL have a own web-shop? I`ve been looking for the showergel for a while now. My bottle is soon empty, and it smells divine!
    The US site has a web-shop, but I'm not sure if they ship to Europe. And they don't have the showergel available anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    The US site has a web-shop, but I'm not sure if they ship to Europe. And they don't have the showergel available anyway.
    I ordered 2 bottles from Strawberrynet. I had to react quickly! I have checked their website everyday, and suddenly they had it in stock. I ordered 2 bottles immediately (also 2 bottles Antaeus showergel). I checked the website again the day after, and then it was gone, out of stock. I was lucky! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8buffering View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I love my Egoiste. I am finding longevity issues with it though. I have heard at certain times it reminds people of Musc Ravageur, but I have never smelled any Fredrick Malle. I was wondering if there is anything with good longevity and this cinnamon vibe?
    I think they are waaayyyy off on the comparison these two scents smell nothing alike. Musc Ravageur is an amazing gourmand that has a one of a kind smell. Unless, you manage to find Meharees from L'erbolario which is a Musc Ravageur clone without the clove in the top notes.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I ordered 2 bottles from Strawberrynet. I had to react quickly! I have checked their website everyday, and suddenly they had it in stock. I ordered 2 bottles immediately (also 2 bottles Antaeus showergel). I checked the website again the day after, and then it was gone, out of stock. I was lucky! :-)
    Ah! Well done. You'll be good for a while now.
    Enjoy!!

Chanel's website has it all the time. Ya I believe someone was saying they got a hint of Musc Ravageur in Egoiste due to 3 similar notes. Does anyone else have similar experiences with this coming close to the skin after about 2 hours?

Yeah, it's like Nordstrom carries it, but smaller stores who also carry Chanel will only have the Platinum flanker.

They had upstairs in the Men's dept at the Nordy's in Portland, and the fellow there made up a spray decant for me. Very nice of them I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8buffering View Post
    Chanel's website has it all the time. Ya I believe someone was saying they got a hint of Musc Ravageur in Egoiste due to 3 similar notes. Does anyone else have similar experiences with this coming close to the skin after about 2 hours?
    With the latest reformulated version (clear juice) I do far sprays (about one foot away) on both sides of my neck, and it projects even 6-8 hours later -- especially in the cold weather.

Personally I don't see much similarity between Musc Ravageur and Egoiste, though they both do have different spicy notes. I barely like Musc Ravageur, but I adore Egoiste.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver