Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vanille Absolu by Montale

I can't find one thread on this scent.

I'm testing it today for the 1st time, from a sample. I decanted the 1 ml glass vial into a 2 ml plastic atomizer and instead of just tossing the emptied vial in the trash I dabbed the remaining juice on my left wrist and just this small amount has been scenting my arm strongly for hours now. This stuff is amazingly potent.

There is a real struggle to not grit my teeth at the sweet cotton-candy-like top notes, however slowly but surely it starts to smell just like vanilla that you use when you're baking - extract. And it stays there for basically the entire scent.

Sort of the parfum version of some basic vanilla scent you might run into at the local pharmacy (or in a candle).

Nonetheless, the name is apt. Absolu-tely vanilla.

Now where's my toothbrush, I feel the need to brush & floss after wearing this.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Default Re: Vanille Absolu by Montale

My sample is not potent like other montale.

I got about 6 hours of lasting with lower sillage. Maybe your sample comes from a concentrate bottle directly from montale.

About the scent, yeah, its pure sweet vanilla, quite amazing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Plain 'ol vanilla, nothing else. Once had a bottle I'd bought at deep discount. It only took one sniff to realize why - totally boring - sold the bottle the next week. That Montale take some sort of vanilla concentrate, bottle it, and charge niche prices is obnoxious. You can do much better at Bath & Body Works for about 1/8 price. Montale's own Bois Vanille is fantastic, as is Chypre Vanille, so it's not like they don't know how to do vanilla.

Have it and like it a lot, but it is quite linear.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am a fan of vanilla and I like Vanille Absolu better than the other Montale vanilla offerings.

I layer vanille absolut with erolfa in winter...it's really nice together!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I should have also said that while it is sweet, I don't find it overbearingly so.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Vanille Absolu but I admit it can get abit monotonous. it's an excellent vanilla if you just want a long lasting vanilla with a bit of smoke. It's not overly sweet either.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I really like this scent. I get a very high quality vanilla, as well as some booziness. Don't mind the linearity.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I know what you mean scentsitivity - it is super concentrated sweet, however it doesn't over do it.

There is a part, right when I put it on, that when I smelled my skin up close it smelled slightly soapy - something akin to the lily of the valley accord in Diorissimo. But when I pulled my nose away from my skin, all I could smell was vanilla. It's weird how the notes mention clove and cinnamon - honestly, I don't smell these notes at all. I'm sure they are there, but all I smell is vanilla.

It really does conjure up that smell that you encounter when you're baking cookies...that exact moment when you add a teaspoon full of vanilla extract to cookie dough and it blends with the flour, the egg, the baking powder, etc. Quite foody.

I think I will re-test this next time it's extremely cold weather here, I could see how in that sort of climate this would have an appeal. Sort of like a tobacco-less Tobacco Vanille.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

It's a great vanilla fragrance for those looking for that sort of thing. Personally, Vanitas served my needs far better (although, initially, I didn't feel great about the massive hole in my pocket).