Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 48
  1. #1

    Cool Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    I'm sure this has been discussed before, but please if you feel like taking part tell me what insults (or what you construed as insults) have you had on any fragrance you have worn in the past?
    I'll go first

    'You stink very nice' - from a male friend when I wore Amarige
    'Something smells like rotting vegetables around here' - from a male colleague when I wore Impulse Goddess body spray lol
    'You smell like old copper coins' - from my boyfriend when I wore Rococo
    'Ew, did you just spray something!?' - from my boss to a male colleague just after I sprayed Moschino by Moschino

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    "Something smells like cleaning products here, like Dettol", from a woman I was lunching with with my husband. I had recently applied Agent Provocateur, grr!
    "That smells like cat pee", a tactful colleague after I sprayed CK One, lol, I gave the bottle away after that comment ;-P

  3. #3
    Emlynevermore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    upstate New York
    Posts
    1,211

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Fortunately, I have yet to experience a reaction along those lines.

    For my money, the one that takes the cake--as it were--is the comment a poster on another board received, wherein she was told that her perfume smelled like "butter and farts".

    An extended discussion of this sort of thing, with BN guesses on the offending scent's identity and the correct answer, is here.

    That one still cracks me up.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    ROFL! Very funny posts, thanks for sharing

  5. #5
    Baldufita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Zaventem, Belgium
    Posts
    1,113

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    I don't care what they tell ME... Most important is what I reply to THEM: to immediately get a cold...

  6. #6
    slvrbckgorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The sunshine state
    Posts
    1,101

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    "You smell like a hippie" while wearing Green Valley
    "Do you have a car air freshener in here (my office)?" while wearing Black Aoud
    "Who is wearing sunblock?" while wearing Carnal Flower

  7. #7
    Dependent Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,325

    Default

    I just saw this thread, so, I'll re-post this little story which I first posted in the SotD-thread:

    So, I got off from work, sprayed one spritz of Tonka Impériale in the air, and walked through the mist. No biggie!
    One hour later I'm standing in line at the supermarket, when this woman infront of me says out loud:
    'Oh, my! Those candles I'm buying sure stinks, they reek!'
    I was like, yeah, well!
    Then all of a sudden, she turns around, look me straight in the eyes, and say: 'No! It's you!'
    ... and starts laughing.

    Tonka Impériale stinks?! Please, it's way better than any cheap juice she'd ever smelled before!
    For once I hadn't overdone it, y'all know I like to be cloying, but, I wasn't today!

  8. #8
    Dependent sophi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salamina,Greece
    Posts
    3,348

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I just saw this thread, so, I'll re-post this little story which I first posted in the SotD-thread:

    So, I got off from work, sprayed one spritz of Tonka Impériale in the air, and walked through the mist. No biggie!
    One hour later I'm standing in line at the supermarket, when this woman infront of me says out loud:
    'Oh, my! Those candles I'm buying sure stinks, they reek!'
    I was like, yeah, well!
    Then all of a sudden, she turns around, look me straight in the eyes, and say: 'No! It's you!'
    ... and starts laughing.

    Tonka Impériale stinks?! Please, it's way better than any cheap juice she'd ever smelled before!
    For once I hadn't overdone it, y'all know I like to be cloying, but, I wasn't today!
    What a story!Well, i haven't tried Tonka Imperiale even though i was given a sample from a dear basenoter..
    i will wear it tomorrow and give you my honest opinion and impression on that one
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

  9. #9
    Dependent Le Grand Duc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    7,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    What a story!Well, i haven't tried Tonka Imperiale even though i was given a sample from a dear basenoter..
    i will wear it tomorrow and give you my honest opinion and impression on that one
    I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts, miss Sophi!

  10. #10
    Fleurine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,663
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    No back-handed compliment comes to mind right now but that Kiss Of Death thread is hilarious! Right after I bought a bottle of a legendary Guerlain 5 star masterpiece (that shall remain nameless) someone mentioned in a review that they noticed a "wierd lettuce" note.

    Now when I smell it I just keep picturing a nasty head of iceberg lettuce in plastic wrap.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Similar thing happened also to me when wearing tuberose. I was wearing Beyond Love by Kilian and I was waiting in line to buy a cinema ticket when the girl behind me, after wondering for 10 minutes with load voice what it smells like, exclaimed:I know, it smells like Malibu and sunblock! Must be a cultural thing, in francophone countries sunblock smells like coconut.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,437

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I just saw this thread, so, I'll re-post this little story which I first posted in the SotD-thread:

    So, I got off from work, sprayed one spritz of Tonka Impériale in the air, and walked through the mist. No biggie!
    One hour later I'm standing in line at the supermarket, when this woman infront of me says out loud:
    'Oh, my! Those candles I'm buying sure stinks, they reek!'
    I was like, yeah, well!
    Then all of a sudden, she turns around, look me straight in the eyes, and say: 'No! It's you!'
    ... and starts laughing.

    Tonka Impériale stinks?! Please, it's way better than any cheap juice she'd ever smelled before!
    For once I hadn't overdone it, y'all know I like to be cloying, but, I wasn't today!
    Dear Duckie- that woman was just terribly rude . Extraordinarily rude. Oh my, she's lucky it was not me she insulted.

    My sister is the one who always hates my perfume but that's OK. Mostly I get " God I hate that perfume " - it's the usual I've had over the years and I just laugh.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Oh, god. This is not really a back-handed compliment story, it's more of a humiliation story! Nevertheless, I will tell it. Last spring I was out shopping. I went into a public restroom, as you do, and reapplied L'Heure Bleue. I then walked into Monsoon, picked out some clothes, and sauntered into the fitting room. I'd lost some weight, I was feeling pretty, I felt pretty good about myself!

    So I'm in my cubicle, and this woman walks in. She sounded maybe twenty years older than me. And she gives this really loud SNIFF and says to the sales assistant, "Do you have any air freshener? Something really smells in here." And the SA gave this really significant pause before saying, "I'm sorry, we don't." And then the woman produces a bottle of her own perfume, and she sprays it liberally around the whole fitting room! I think it was Oriens, which I have nothing against, really, it's perfectly pleasant. And the SA said, "Oooh, now that smells lovely!"

    And that was when I DIED with embarrassment, and it was even worse when I had to walk out of the fitting room in front of them both. I mean, I kept my head up and I managed not to blush, but it was humiliating! I haven't been able to wear L'Heure Bleue in public since.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    There is the classic, "You smell like an old lady." I never got it, and I wear stuff older than my late grandmother. I've gotten "cat pee" wearing Nikki de St. Phalle. The best backhanded compliment was "That's too powdery for me." Last but not least was one I read who knows where about an Etat Libre perfume. "Well, here's your chance to smell like Satan's own monkeyrag!"

  15. #15

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Most recently...

    "You smell like a toilet" said by my perfumista friend while wearing L'artisan Fleur d'Oranger, at which I replied, "It didn't smell that way to you when you tried it at my house you douche!" LOL

  16. #16

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Although it was not said to me directly, another person's comment about how L'Air de Rien smells like dirty hair just ruined it for me... I haven't worn it since, which is a real pity, since I loved it and had bought 3 bottles! I resold the backup bottles.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,437

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Although it was not said to me directly, another person's comment about how L'Air de Rien smells like dirty hair just ruined it for me... I haven't worn it since, which is a real pity, since I loved it and had bought 3 bottles! I resold the backup bottles.
    Oh dear, I hope it wasn't one of my posts on Basenotes.......... if it was, I apologise !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    No, it was someone on POL. :-)

  19. #19

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    All cases of limited vocabulary for sure. In truth, all japanese people do not look the same, and master of puppets doesn't sound like moonlight sonata.

  20. #20
    Evangeline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Angers, France
    Posts
    5,720

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    For my money, the one that takes the cake--as it were--is the comment a poster on another board received, wherein she was told that her perfume smelled like "butter and farts".

    An extended discussion of this sort of thing, with BN guesses on the offending scent's identity and the correct answer, is here.
    Lol, Emlynevermore - I can't believe you found/posted that old thread, but it was fun to revisit it ...I sure was chatty back then! I have yet to even sample the infamous "b&f" fragrance, although I love the house - I guess I still haven't managed to unring that smelly bell!

    cazaubon - L'Air de Rien was meant to smell like hair, specifically Jane Birkin's brother Andrew's hair (so "dirty" is implied.) That promptly turned me off of that one, too!

    The last non-complimentary comment I received about my fragrance was from a woman at a holiday party who asked if I was wearing perfume. When I responded (too enthusiastically, thinking she knows it or likes it and we would then commence a friendly conversation about it) "Yes, I am...!" she replied plainly, "I thought so." Well ...hmph! I think my husband and I were the only people there wearing fragrance, and we smelled divine!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

  21. #21

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Someone told me I "must have nice b.o." I can't remember what the fragrance was.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    once in a while some ladies would go "why do you always smell so nice?" when i wear Heritage (EDT) and Egoiste

    When i wear Black Orchid, my assistant manager who is a woman who rarely uses perfume would comment "you perfume is REALLY strong today and its giving a headache". So if she does get to my nerves, i know what to do :P

    Another colleague claims that my scent gives him a headache when i approach him wearing Guerlain Vertiver. But he says Encre Noire is nice to him!

    And oh yet another colleague ran out of the room when i sprayed kouros on a piece of paper in my department. hehehe
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

  23. #23

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    What a story!Well, i haven't tried Tonka Imperiale even though i was given a sample from a dear basenoter..
    i will wear it tomorrow and give you my honest opinion and impression on that one
    What are you waiting for!!! Its outstanding.

    No negative comments in the Arab world because perfume is deeply rooted in the history here.

  24. #24
    Dependent sophi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salamina,Greece
    Posts
    3,348

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    What are you waiting for!!! Its outstanding.
    Thank you for the samples i am wearing tonka imp. today
    Personally ,i don't wear a perfume for the name....if i like ,i wear it
    Last edited by sophi; 4th May 2011 at 06:13 AM.
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

  25. #25

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Quote Originally Posted by sophi View Post
    Thank you for the samples i am wearing tonka imp. today
    Personally ,i don't wear a perfume for the name....if i like ,i wear it
    So how do you like it? Its a bit too sweet right?

  26. #26
    Dependent sophi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Salamina,Greece
    Posts
    3,348

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    So how do you like it? Its a bit too sweet right?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/276...t=#post2160340
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

  27. #27
    Emlynevermore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    upstate New York
    Posts
    1,211

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    For once I hadn't overdone it, y'all know I like to be cloying, but, I wasn't today!
    I don't generally subscribe to this sort of thing, Duc, but I believe that may be the Universe's way of saying that, in your case, if less is more, then more is awesome.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    I know i shouldn't have worn this perfume to the gym ( Evresse ) but I just put on a tiny bit. This guy comes walking in and says something about an exterminater must have been here to spray for bugs. Well I don't wear that to the gym anymore, but i still love it.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    I opened my bag at a bar to pay for my drink and some idiot says (pointing at my purse): "it smells like a tart's purse" I was more than ready to dump the $8 drink on him, but then I'd feel that was just an impulse reaction I would later regret, also not worth dumping $8 on that douche bag... he wanted my attention why would I concede it to him? I would also end up looking like a guidette... AND I know my purse smells amazing, not like a 'tart's' purse (I had my Kelly Caleche bottle in there) All that stuff goes through the head of this lady in a split second... I just ignored him, didn't even deserve a dirty look from me.

    One time I went to work and it was a really cold, gray, dark day, I wore Nu by YSL and some dumb chick at work told me - in a despective manner - 'girl! you smell like a man' ... me: (?!) THAT comment coming from someone who smells like cheap drugstore parfum de toilette de cat piss.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Fragrance insults / back-handed compliments

    Quote Originally Posted by mel_lou View Post
    Oh, god. This is not really a back-handed compliment story, it's more of a humiliation story! Nevertheless, I will tell it. Last spring I was out shopping. I went into a public restroom, as you do, and reapplied L'Heure Bleue. I then walked into Monsoon, picked out some clothes, and sauntered into the fitting room. I'd lost some weight, I was feeling pretty, I felt pretty good about myself!

    So I'm in my cubicle, and this woman walks in. She sounded maybe twenty years older than me. And she gives this really loud SNIFF and says to the sales assistant, "Do you have any air freshener? Something really smells in here." And the SA gave this really significant pause before saying, "I'm sorry, we don't." And then the woman produces a bottle of her own perfume, and she sprays it liberally around the whole fitting room! I think it was Oriens, which I have nothing against, really, it's perfectly pleasant. And the SA said, "Oooh, now that smells lovely!"

    And that was when I DIED with embarrassment, and it was even worse when I had to walk out of the fitting room in front of them both. I mean, I kept my head up and I managed not to blush, but it was humiliating! I haven't been able to wear L'Heure Bleue in public since.
    LOL!

    You just keep on wearing your Guerlains! Some people cannot appreciate the scent of the classics as they only know what is shoved under their noses in department stores: candified, fruity florals not even fit for a 10-year-old. In other words, scents that are not made for a real woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Azahar View Post
    I opened my bag at a bar to pay for my drink and some idiot says (pointing at my purse): "it smells like a tart's purse" I was more than ready to dump the $8 drink on him, but then I'd feel that was just an impulse reaction I would later regret, also not worth dumping $8 on that douche bag... he wanted my attention why would I concede it to him? I would also end up looking like a guidette... AND I know my purse smells amazing, not like a 'tart's' purse (I had my Kelly Caleche bottle in there) All that stuff goes through the head of this lady in a split second... I just ignored him, didn't even deserve a dirty look from me.

    One time I went to work and it was a really cold, gray, dark day, I wore Nu by YSL and some dumb chick at work told me - in a despective manner - 'girl! you smell like a man' ... me: (?!) THAT comment coming from someone who smells like cheap drugstore parfum de toilette de cat piss.
    LOL! I would have replied with a smile,"OK, so what's you point?" Your comeback was priceless.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

Similar Threads

  1. *What Fragrance Gives You The MOST Compliments?
    By Dudester! in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 24th June 2012, 02:34 AM
  2. The one fragrance that gets me the most unsolicited compliments
    By BallRoom Dancer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 4th October 2008, 02:26 PM
  3. My Recent Fragrance Compliments!!!!!
    By G.303 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 19th November 2005, 06:23 PM
  4. My Recent Fragrance Compliments!!!!!
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000