Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default My Take on Guerlain's Vetiver

Hey, everbody! Just got a brand new bottle of Vetiver in the mail today. It's in the frosted glass bottle so I do believe it is the "new formulation." Having no sample of the "vintage," I'm not at this moment bothered by that though. I've heard good about both.

I sprayed it on my wrist maybe ten minutes ago and while I'm not entirely disappointed, I can't say I'm impressed yet. What I'm getting up top is basically a combination of a pine scent and tobacco. However, I've heard this shines most in the drydown though so I'm gonna' give it a chance. Let me know if there's anything that's helped you appreciate it more and I'll try that in my process too.

What I plan to do here is post my take on it over the next couple of hours/days. I really hope this classic doesn't let me down.

Default Re: My Take on Guerlain's Vetiver

Right now I'm very undecided about it. There's something up top I really don't like. There's something I'm sensing in it though that makes me want to push through it, and really hope there's more to this.

Had you posted prior to your buy, I would have sent you one for the cost of postage. It would save me having to dispose of it following EPA guidelines. This was also my first vetiver buy and I'm off vetiver forever. It's so foul I thought I'd gotten a fake, but no it's for real. In it's current iteration, Guerlain should have just retired this one instead of complying with IFRA standards or whatever. Take consolace in the fact your not the only one burned with this vile concoction. It was the JFK hype on Cleopatra's bood wah site that suckered me in. Broke me from blind buys though. ;p

Well, I went ahead and got it figuring that worst case scenario I'd be able to swap it. There seems to be a large following of people who like it, and an equally large portion that don't, so I didn't think it could hurt. At the very least, I really like the bottle I'm not sure what to think of it yet though. My last bling buy, YSL's Live Jazz, is one I just wore today and really enjoy. So I'm sure something good will come of this, even if it's not the Vetiver.

Thatguy73, is this your first vetiver frag? If so, I admit that it's an odd smell on first contact. Give it time: put it away for a while and come back to it in a few months. You might love it. I think it's pretty marvelous, especially in the summer.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Yeah, this is my first Vetiver. I'd heard it was especially good in the heat, which is one of the reasons I got it since it's starting to get pretty warm on the East Coast. I'll take that advice though. I do intend to give it at least a couple of days, probably even longer, before I decide on it

I'm a big fan of the final drydown of the latest version of Vetiver, but unfortunately, getting there includes a detour to a PVC factory. I like the tobacco note enough, a lot of people don't, but there's no love in me for the vinyl note, even though it may just be part of the actual vetiver that is used.
    This note was not there up until the reformulation that came along with the frosted glass, stripped bottle.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I love Vetiver, but I have the formula prior to the frosted-bottle version. I agree with Strollyourlobster that it might take some time to figure it out. The first couple of times I wore it, I didn't like it because I couldn't "get" it. But I've loved it ever since.

I'm very fond of this one. My first Vetiver, it was quite the revelation. I could imagine that it might not be to everyone's liking though.

To be honest, I had to wash it off this first time. I'm not sure if it was the openning of it or if it was something I ate but I have a mildly nauseaus feeling right now. It doesn't feel like anything a frag. has done to me before though so I think it's probably something else. It'll force me to wait on testing this one though because the last thing I want to do is sample it while I feel bad and associate the smell with that feeling.

Oh yes, I agree that you should not make any rash decisions about getting rid of your Vetiver just yet....let those synapses develop a memory for this scent before you make any final conclusions. In a few weeks or months, you may discover that you have done a 180 in the appreciation of it.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy73 View Post
    I'm not sure if it was the openning of it or if it was something I ate but I have a mildly nauseaus feeling right now. It doesn't feel like anything a frag. has done to me before though so I think it's probably something else.
    This could a reaction to the tobacco note. Tobacco can make me very nauseous when I smell it on an empty stomach. Are you a smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    This could a reaction to the tobacco note. Tobacco can make me very nauseous when I smell it on an empty stomach. Are you a smoker?
    Could be the case. No, I'm not a smoker, but I have plenty of friends who do smoke (ranging from cigs. to pipes actually), and I don't ever remember feeling this way when any of them light up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    Oh yes, I agree that you should not make any rash decisions about getting rid of your Vetiver just yet....let those synapses develop a memory for this scent before you make any final conclusions. In a few weeks or months, you may discover that you have done a 180 in the appreciation of it.
    Thanks for the advice. I do intend to hang onto it for a while so I can sample it fairly as I've heard many stories of people doing just that and, after starting out hating it, wound up having it be a favorite. I agree that I need to give it some time. It's so very different from anything I've ever smelled.

SO, I washed off the cologne I'd had on my wrist, took a shower, put on some Live Jazz (really refreshing frag. to me), and then went out to practice with some friends in jazz band. Here's the weird thing: whenever I had a moment to focus on something other than the music I was playing, my mind went back to Guerlain's Vetiver. Not in a positive or negative way, but it was just the strangest kind of reflective, for lack of a better word, process. I haven't smelled it again, and plant o wait a day or two before I do, but this hasn't hapenned to me with any other frag. really. It's interesting to say the least.

Wore it today and got a nice compliment. Not my favorite scent, but it grows on me month by month.

If you like the version you have, that's all that matters.

I know a lot of people say it works great in summer....try it on a cold weather...keep it for now.

I'm a vetiver fan and i have to say that guerlain vetiver is my least favorite of the many i have had the pleasure to put my nose on. its not terrible but in a vetiver lineup it would be the last one i would buy.

Blog Entries

VERY interesting thread! Thanks for the ongoing evaluation! I got some of this vetiver in my first order to Perfume Court; just a millilter or so. I tried it once and haven't gone back to it. Maybe will, Maybe won't. Waiting for summer maybe...
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Interesting how you're on the fence about Guerlain's Vetiver but obviously like Live Jazz.

I own Live Jazz, bought it very cheap, which is just as well as after 9 years of trying, I just can't warm to it.

Interesting also how so far, you haven't mentioned actually smelling any vetiver in Guerlain's Vetiver. The tobacco I hardly notice in it, and Pine I don't really think is there.

Try sniff a few other vetiver scents (with the exception of Lanvin's) then revisit Guerlain's.
    Regards,
    Renato

I bought it blind myself when I was a Basenotes newbie a few years ago. I wasn't impressed with it at the time, but I kept my bottle and revisited it every so often. I'm glad I did, because now I think it's pretty great. My opinion is that this frag works best in the autumn outdoors. There is something about it that just works beautifully in that environment. Stick with it, keep experimenting with it. This one takes some time to appreciate.

I'm a recent fan of Guerlain's Vetiver, and love it. As many have said, give it some time, it really grows on you. It is a no-nonsense, simple, straight forward fragrance without being too obvious. In a perfect world, that should be a staple fragrance for every man!
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Interesting how you're on the fence about Guerlain's Vetiver but obviously like Live Jazz.

I own Live Jazz, bought it very cheap, which is just as well as after 9 years of trying, I just can't warm to it.

Interesting also how so far, you haven't mentioned actually smelling any vetiver in Guerlain's Vetiver. The tobacco I hardly notice in it, and Pine I don't really think is there.

Try sniff a few other vetiver scents (with the exception of Lanvin's) then revisit Guerlain's.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Hmmm...Most people have an issue with the corriander note that kind of gives Live Jazz a "spice rack" feel at one point. It's not my favorite part of the frag., but I don't think it ruins it. Another thing is that it's often considered a mint frag. and I don't ever really get a strong mint feeling from it. I'd describe it more as an herbel, maybe green tea, kind of scent with a lemon top, and a subtle mint touch.

Another thing I find interesting, relative to Live Jazz being perceived as minty, is that I think our approval of scents is very much based on our perceptions before we even smell it. When I got Live Jazz, I expected lots of mint. At first, I was disappointed that I didn't get that smell. It then took me a week or two to wearm up to it because I had to clear my mind of mint and get used to enjoying it for what it actually was. When I bought GV, I struggled with a thought of "is this too old" etc. etc. However, I made myself clear my mind of that thought entirely before I sampled it as I didn't want to skew my opinion with prior associations.

I also think your advice for me to sample other Vetiver scents is strong advice. Thank you. I know there is Vetiver in the Guerlain, obviously, but I don't think I really know what I'm smelling yet. I'll make an effort to find something to tune up my nose with.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    VERY interesting thread! Thanks for the ongoing evaluation! I got some of this vetiver in my first order to Perfume Court; just a millilter or so. I tried it once and haven't gone back to it. Maybe will, Maybe won't. Waiting for summer maybe...
    Thanks! I'm hoping this will be an eye opening experience for both myself and those reading it.

I did not like this one and I bought it blind and found there to be a plastic accord within the scent that I could not live with. I ended up giving it away. If you want to explore a vetiver fragrance Encre Noir is so much more easier to like and affordable.

Hmmm...Most people have an issue with the corriander note that kind of gives Live Jazz a "spice rack" feel at one point. It's not my favorite part of the frag., but I don't think it ruins it. Another thing is that it's often considered a mint frag. and I don't ever really get a strong mint feeling from it. I'd describe it more as an herbel, maybe green tea, kind of scent with a lemon top, and a subtle mint touch.

Another thing I find interesting, relative to Live Jazz being perceived as minty, is that I think our approval of scents is very much based on our perceptions before we even smell it. When I got Live Jazz, I expected lots of mint. At first, I was disappointed that I didn't get that smell. It then took me a week or two to wearm up to it because I had to clear my mind of mint and get used to enjoying it for what it actually was. When I bought GV, I struggled with a thought of "is this too old" etc. etc. However, I made myself clear my mind of that thought entirely before I sampled it as I didn't want to skew my opinion with prior associations.

I also think your advice for me to sample other Vetiver scents is strong advice. Thank you. I know there is Vetiver in the Guerlain, obviously, but I don't think I really know what I'm smelling yet. I'll make an effort to find something to tune up my nose with.
    Funny you should mention the mintiness of Live Jazz. One scent I wear a lot is the old Burberry London, which I think is now just called Burberry - that is a real minty scent. I had that for a few years till I saw someone here describe Live Jazz as minty. Then lots of people started describing it as a minty scent. Whereupon I scratched my head, and then went and did a lot of resniffing to find the purported mint note in Live Jazz. I think I found it, but to my mind that was insufficient to qualify it as a minty scent.

I forgot to mention the most obvious place to smell vetiver - it is in whatever store sells real essential oils where you live (down here it's in pharmacies, aromatherapy shops and it used to be in K-mart). Vetiver essential oil smells a bit rough, and scents like Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver, Etro Vetiver and Roccobarcco Vetiver smell something akin to the raw stuff.

But Guerlain's, Carven's, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Yardley's Vetiver and most other designer ones are far more refined versions of it. The cheapest decent one is the Italian scent Malazia Uomo - very cheap in Italy and down here in Australia, but it has good lasting power. Lanvin's Vetiver is so refined that quite frankly, I have a hard time detecting any vetiver in it. Azzaro Pure Vetiver is the most over the top, loudest one you can find, and I am one of the few fans of it here.

In a couple of months, how about you give us an update as to whether you really like it, or it remains a ho-hum scent?
    Regards,
    Renato

...my mind went back to Guerlain's Vetiver...
    Yeah, the first couple times I tried it, I got the "old man" vibe many others talk about, but now it is one of my favorite frags in my cabinet, and it happened very much the same way with me. Personally, I consider it a tobacco scent more than a vetiver. I am a vetiver fan, too, but for me it's all about the tobacco, which is spicy and dry and I cannot get enough.

I no longer view it as an "old man" scent, but it is very much a man's.

One could say it's hard to overstate my satisfaction.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Good luck with this fragrance- though alternatively both under- and -overrated, you will find that this scent has a a certain timeless quality about it and also will not leave anyone around you indifferent: reactions, both favorable and less favorable, will flourish and hardly leave you unnoticed
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

I wish Guerlain should raise the price tag of Guerlain Vetiver somewhere near $100+ and make it little bit hard to get in local stores and may be then people might try to understand what Guerlain Vetiver is!!!!

Because its readily available at very reasonalbe prices everyone is hammering it....instead of trying it for sometime and getting used to it.

There are lot of very nice fragrances which made me feel like puking or very much dissatisfied during initial use but they are highly praised here.

As an example, I spent $100+ on Terre d'hermes 6.7-oz and I feel like its not developing on me....and right now I am not satisfied with its performance...but that does not mean its a bad fragrance.It will take time for me to understand what it is.

I asked my GF to test my few perfumes like Terre d'hermes,D&G the one, Green Irish Tweed,AdG,Pure Malt,D&G Pour Homme,Cool Water last night.
    She liked all of them....but she approved only D&G The One,D&G Pour Homme and Pure Malt as sexy on me.
    GIT and Cool Water as Fresh Daily Wear.
    TdH as interesting and very good and Guerlain Vetiver as very good daily wear.
    I did ask her very straight that does GV smell like an old man??She said NOT at All...Its fresh yet Mature.That was the opening she was talking about.And I am sure if she smells the drydown she will love it.
    So figure out.She does not know too much about perfumes but she got a nose as I know her perfume wardrobe.

People here says they want pure vetiver note.....they don't like tobbaco in this...but I also see they are opening many threads for tobbaco fragrance....asking which one is better and has this or that quality and on and on....but when it comes to GV they forget that aspect and start talking bad about it....It has not pure vetiver note...or it is very dry/very harsh/slap on face/Tobbaco drydown has ruined it....

I don't understand why they have Double Standards when it comes to GV.