Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default My Take on Guerlain's Vetiver

Hey, everbody! Just got a brand new bottle of Vetiver in the mail today. It's in the frosted glass bottle so I do believe it is the "new formulation." Having no sample of the "vintage," I'm not at this moment bothered by that though. I've heard good about both.

I sprayed it on my wrist maybe ten minutes ago and while I'm not entirely disappointed, I can't say I'm impressed yet. What I'm getting up top is basically a combination of a pine scent and tobacco. However, I've heard this shines most in the drydown though so I'm gonna' give it a chance. Let me know if there's anything that's helped you appreciate it more and I'll try that in my process too.

What I plan to do here is post my take on it over the next couple of hours/days. I really hope this classic doesn't let me down.

Default Re: My Take on Guerlain's Vetiver

Right now I'm very undecided about it. There's something up top I really don't like. There's something I'm sensing in it though that makes me want to push through it, and really hope there's more to this.

Ω

Had you posted prior to your buy, I would have sent you one for the cost of postage. It would save me having to dispose of it following EPA guidelines. This was also my first vetiver buy and I'm off vetiver forever. It's so foul I thought I'd gotten a fake, but no it's for real. In it's current iteration, Guerlain should have just retired this one instead of complying with IFRA standards or whatever. Take consolace in the fact your not the only one burned with this vile concoction. It was the JFK hype on Cleopatra's bood wah site that suckered me in. Broke me from blind buys though. ;p

Well, I went ahead and got it figuring that worst case scenario I'd be able to swap it. There seems to be a large following of people who like it, and an equally large portion that don't, so I didn't think it could hurt. At the very least, I really like the bottle I'm not sure what to think of it yet though. My last bling buy, YSL's Live Jazz, is one I just wore today and really enjoy. So I'm sure something good will come of this, even if it's not the Vetiver.

Thatguy73, is this your first vetiver frag? If so, I admit that it's an odd smell on first contact. Give it time: put it away for a while and come back to it in a few months. You might love it. I think it's pretty marvelous, especially in the summer.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Yeah, this is my first Vetiver. I'd heard it was especially good in the heat, which is one of the reasons I got it since it's starting to get pretty warm on the East Coast. I'll take that advice though. I do intend to give it at least a couple of days, probably even longer, before I decide on it

I'm a big fan of the final drydown of the latest version of Vetiver, but unfortunately, getting there includes a detour to a PVC factory. I like the tobacco note enough, a lot of people don't, but there's no love in me for the vinyl note, even though it may just be part of the actual vetiver that is used.
    This note was not there up until the reformulation that came along with the frosted glass, stripped bottle.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I love Vetiver, but I have the formula prior to the frosted-bottle version. I agree with Strollyourlobster that it might take some time to figure it out. The first couple of times I wore it, I didn't like it because I couldn't "get" it. But I've loved it ever since.

I'm very fond of this one. My first Vetiver, it was quite the revelation. I could imagine that it might not be to everyone's liking though.

To be honest, I had to wash it off this first time. I'm not sure if it was the openning of it or if it was something I ate but I have a mildly nauseaus feeling right now. It doesn't feel like anything a frag. has done to me before though so I think it's probably something else. It'll force me to wait on testing this one though because the last thing I want to do is sample it while I feel bad and associate the smell with that feeling.

Oh yes, I agree that you should not make any rash decisions about getting rid of your Vetiver just yet....let those synapses develop a memory for this scent before you make any final conclusions. In a few weeks or months, you may discover that you have done a 180 in the appreciation of it.

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy73 View Post
    I'm not sure if it was the openning of it or if it was something I ate but I have a mildly nauseaus feeling right now. It doesn't feel like anything a frag. has done to me before though so I think it's probably something else.
    This could a reaction to the tobacco note. Tobacco can make me very nauseous when I smell it on an empty stomach. Are you a smoker?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    This could a reaction to the tobacco note. Tobacco can make me very nauseous when I smell it on an empty stomach. Are you a smoker?
    Could be the case. No, I'm not a smoker, but I have plenty of friends who do smoke (ranging from cigs. to pipes actually), and I don't ever remember feeling this way when any of them light up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    Oh yes, I agree that you should not make any rash decisions about getting rid of your Vetiver just yet....let those synapses develop a memory for this scent before you make any final conclusions. In a few weeks or months, you may discover that you have done a 180 in the appreciation of it.
    Thanks for the advice. I do intend to hang onto it for a while so I can sample it fairly as I've heard many stories of people doing just that and, after starting out hating it, wound up having it be a favorite. I agree that I need to give it some time. It's so very different from anything I've ever smelled.

SO, I washed off the cologne I'd had on my wrist, took a shower, put on some Live Jazz (really refreshing frag. to me), and then went out to practice with some friends in jazz band. Here's the weird thing: whenever I had a moment to focus on something other than the music I was playing, my mind went back to Guerlain's Vetiver. Not in a positive or negative way, but it was just the strangest kind of reflective, for lack of a better word, process. I haven't smelled it again, and plant o wait a day or two before I do, but this hasn't hapenned to me with any other frag. really. It's interesting to say the least.

Wore it today and got a nice compliment. Not my favorite scent, but it grows on me month by month.

If you like the version you have, that's all that matters.

I know a lot of people say it works great in summer....try it on a cold weather...keep it for now.

I'm a vetiver fan and i have to say that guerlain vetiver is my least favorite of the many i have had the pleasure to put my nose on. its not terrible but in a vetiver lineup it would be the last one i would buy.

Blog Entries

VERY interesting thread! Thanks for the ongoing evaluation! I got some of this vetiver in my first order to Perfume Court; just a millilter or so. I tried it once and haven't gone back to it. Maybe will, Maybe won't. Waiting for summer maybe...
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Interesting how you're on the fence about Guerlain's Vetiver but obviously like Live Jazz.

I own Live Jazz, bought it very cheap, which is just as well as after 9 years of trying, I just can't warm to it.

Interesting also how so far, you haven't mentioned actually smelling any vetiver in Guerlain's Vetiver. The tobacco I hardly notice in it, and Pine I don't really think is there.

Try sniff a few other vetiver scents (with the exception of Lanvin's) then revisit Guerlain's.
    Regards,
    Renato

I bought it blind myself when I was a Basenotes newbie a few years ago. I wasn't impressed with it at the time, but I kept my bottle and revisited it every so often. I'm glad I did, because now I think it's pretty great. My opinion is that this frag works best in the autumn outdoors. There is something about it that just works beautifully in that environment. Stick with it, keep experimenting with it. This one takes some time to appreciate.

I'm a recent fan of Guerlain's Vetiver, and love it. As many have said, give it some time, it really grows on you. It is a no-nonsense, simple, straight forward fragrance without being too obvious. In a perfect world, that should be a staple fragrance for every man!
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Interesting how you're on the fence about Guerlain's Vetiver but obviously like Live Jazz.

I own Live Jazz, bought it very cheap, which is just as well as after 9 years of trying, I just can't warm to it.

Interesting also how so far, you haven't mentioned actually smelling any vetiver in Guerlain's Vetiver. The tobacco I hardly notice in it, and Pine I don't really think is there.

Try sniff a few other vetiver scents (with the exception of Lanvin's) then revisit Guerlain's.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Hmmm...Most people have an issue with the corriander note that kind of gives Live Jazz a "spice rack" feel at one point. It's not my favorite part of the frag., but I don't think it ruins it. Another thing is that it's often considered a mint frag. and I don't ever really get a strong mint feeling from it. I'd describe it more as an herbel, maybe green tea, kind of scent with a lemon top, and a subtle mint touch.

Another thing I find interesting, relative to Live Jazz being perceived as minty, is that I think our approval of scents is very much based on our perceptions before we even smell it. When I got Live Jazz, I expected lots of mint. At first, I was disappointed that I didn't get that smell. It then took me a week or two to wearm up to it because I had to clear my mind of mint and get used to enjoying it for what it actually was. When I bought GV, I struggled with a thought of "is this too old" etc. etc. However, I made myself clear my mind of that thought entirely before I sampled it as I didn't want to skew my opinion with prior associations.

I also think your advice for me to sample other Vetiver scents is strong advice. Thank you. I know there is Vetiver in the Guerlain, obviously, but I don't think I really know what I'm smelling yet. I'll make an effort to find something to tune up my nose with.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    VERY interesting thread! Thanks for the ongoing evaluation! I got some of this vetiver in my first order to Perfume Court; just a millilter or so. I tried it once and haven't gone back to it. Maybe will, Maybe won't. Waiting for summer maybe...
    Thanks! I'm hoping this will be an eye opening experience for both myself and those reading it.

I did not like this one and I bought it blind and found there to be a plastic accord within the scent that I could not live with. I ended up giving it away. If you want to explore a vetiver fragrance Encre Noir is so much more easier to like and affordable.

Hmmm...Most people have an issue with the corriander note that kind of gives Live Jazz a "spice rack" feel at one point. It's not my favorite part of the frag., but I don't think it ruins it. Another thing is that it's often considered a mint frag. and I don't ever really get a strong mint feeling from it. I'd describe it more as an herbel, maybe green tea, kind of scent with a lemon top, and a subtle mint touch.

Another thing I find interesting, relative to Live Jazz being perceived as minty, is that I think our approval of scents is very much based on our perceptions before we even smell it. When I got Live Jazz, I expected lots of mint. At first, I was disappointed that I didn't get that smell. It then took me a week or two to wearm up to it because I had to clear my mind of mint and get used to enjoying it for what it actually was. When I bought GV, I struggled with a thought of "is this too old" etc. etc. However, I made myself clear my mind of that thought entirely before I sampled it as I didn't want to skew my opinion with prior associations.

I also think your advice for me to sample other Vetiver scents is strong advice. Thank you. I know there is Vetiver in the Guerlain, obviously, but I don't think I really know what I'm smelling yet. I'll make an effort to find something to tune up my nose with.
    Funny you should mention the mintiness of Live Jazz. One scent I wear a lot is the old Burberry London, which I think is now just called Burberry - that is a real minty scent. I had that for a few years till I saw someone here describe Live Jazz as minty. Then lots of people started describing it as a minty scent. Whereupon I scratched my head, and then went and did a lot of resniffing to find the purported mint note in Live Jazz. I think I found it, but to my mind that was insufficient to qualify it as a minty scent.

I forgot to mention the most obvious place to smell vetiver - it is in whatever store sells real essential oils where you live (down here it's in pharmacies, aromatherapy shops and it used to be in K-mart). Vetiver essential oil smells a bit rough, and scents like Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver, Etro Vetiver and Roccobarcco Vetiver smell something akin to the raw stuff.

But Guerlain's, Carven's, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Yardley's Vetiver and most other designer ones are far more refined versions of it. The cheapest decent one is the Italian scent Malazia Uomo - very cheap in Italy and down here in Australia, but it has good lasting power. Lanvin's Vetiver is so refined that quite frankly, I have a hard time detecting any vetiver in it. Azzaro Pure Vetiver is the most over the top, loudest one you can find, and I am one of the few fans of it here.

In a couple of months, how about you give us an update as to whether you really like it, or it remains a ho-hum scent?
    Regards,
    Renato

...my mind went back to Guerlain's Vetiver...
    Yeah, the first couple times I tried it, I got the "old man" vibe many others talk about, but now it is one of my favorite frags in my cabinet, and it happened very much the same way with me. Personally, I consider it a tobacco scent more than a vetiver. I am a vetiver fan, too, but for me it's all about the tobacco, which is spicy and dry and I cannot get enough.

I no longer view it as an "old man" scent, but it is very much a man's.

One could say it's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Good luck with this fragrance- though alternatively both under- and -overrated, you will find that this scent has a a certain timeless quality about it and also will not leave anyone around you indifferent: reactions, both favorable and less favorable, will flourish and hardly leave you unnoticed

I wish Guerlain should raise the price tag of Guerlain Vetiver somewhere near $100+ and make it little bit hard to get in local stores and may be then people might try to understand what Guerlain Vetiver is!!!!

Because its readily available at very reasonalbe prices everyone is hammering it....instead of trying it for sometime and getting used to it.

There are lot of very nice fragrances which made me feel like puking or very much dissatisfied during initial use but they are highly praised here.

As an example, I spent $100+ on Terre d'hermes 6.7-oz and I feel like its not developing on me....and right now I am not satisfied with its performance...but that does not mean its a bad fragrance.It will take time for me to understand what it is.

I asked my GF to test my few perfumes like Terre d'hermes,D&G the one, Green Irish Tweed,AdG,Pure Malt,D&G Pour Homme,Cool Water last night.
    She liked all of them....but she approved only D&G The One,D&G Pour Homme and Pure Malt as sexy on me.
    GIT and Cool Water as Fresh Daily Wear.
    TdH as interesting and very good and Guerlain Vetiver as very good daily wear.
    I did ask her very straight that does GV smell like an old man??She said NOT at All...Its fresh yet Mature.That was the opening she was talking about.And I am sure if she smells the drydown she will love it.
    So figure out.She does not know too much about perfumes but she got a nose as I know her perfume wardrobe.

People here says they want pure vetiver note.....they don't like tobbaco in this...but I also see they are opening many threads for tobbaco fragrance....asking which one is better and has this or that quality and on and on....but when it comes to GV they forget that aspect and start talking bad about it....It has not pure vetiver note...or it is very dry/very harsh/slap on face/Tobbaco drydown has ruined it....

I don't understand why they have Double Standards when it comes to GV.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by neo_the_1 View Post
    I wish Guerlain should raise the price tag of Guerlain Vetiver somewhere near $100+ and make it little bit hard to get in local stores and may be then people might try to understand what Guerlain Vetiver is!!!!
    Good Grief.

It's an okay vetiver. It smells very nice, but it's nothing tremendous.

I still think Original Vetiver has it beat in spades. Yesterday my girlfriend asked me what I was wearing to a lunch on my porch last July. She wasn't my girlfriend at that time. But there was only one fragrance I wore last July - OV.

When I finally ran out of OV and switched to Guerlain Vetiver, the compliment mill came to a grinding halt. Take that for what it's worth.

Alright, I obviously haven't been updating this thread because the site's been down. Now that it's back up, I'll try and get everyone up to speed.

First: Thanks to everyone for their input, and/or interest, and/or posts. I really appreciate the opinions of others as I test this fragrance. I also appreciate how these opinions have kept the thread alive. Thanks everybody!

Second: I have since worn Vetiver the previous two days. Here's my take.

Day 1: After my first time testing out this frag. I'll behonest, I was a bit repulsed. It did not appear to be anything I was lead to believe it was. However, I felt as if the circumstances, my nausea etc., may have been cause by outside factors and, being a man of science, decided it was only fair to clear my mind of that experiance as best I could and give the frag. a second chance. This time, before I sprayed it, I put this image in my head.

It displays what I believe this frag. should be, adn perhaps what Guerlain intended it to be. That in mind, I sprayed it (1 shot on the chest), put a shirt on and sat down to play some xbox as I smelled it out. This time, rather than pine and tobacco, i was struck with a very bitter, kind of herbal, green smell for the most part. I assume this to be the actual vetiver. I was pleasantly surprised and noted that perhaps this is best as a body scent and maybe failed me, in part, to my first sample being on my wrist.

Day 2: Knowing I could now stomach GV, I decided to test it in outdoor conditions and actually wear it (more than 1 spray. actually out and about). I got home from running, took a shower, put one spray one my chest, and one on my neck, got dressed and headed out for a drive to the mall. I then took a leisurely stroll about both indoors and out, as I made my way to various shops, but kept my mind mostly on the scent. Again, I got this mostly bitter-green smell. Pleasant and removed from the chaos of everyday life. As I drove home I went down a road where there was nothing but thick trees on both sides and the road ahead. Corny as this may be, I felt this really brought the scent home for me. It seemed to fit in especially with that environment as if it was letting me know that was where it was from and what it symbolized.

So to sum it all up, in the last two days I've been surprised by Gv. It is the only frag. I've gone 180 about in so short a time. normally, if I hate a frag. at first smell, there's a good reason, and things stay that way whether I give them time or not. This one, however, has opened my eyes a bit and will likely make me retest other frags. in a similar fashion. The longevity is really good on my skin and projection seems fairly good to although I have no official test of either. I think there is more for me to learn from this frag.t hough especially since I've come to tolerate, and posssibly even enjoy it in only three days. Not sure if it is one I'd feel comfortable wearing around any lady friends yet, but I intend to keep testing the frag. to see what it reveals to me. Right now I would describe GV as a scent that is simply and classically masculine and deeply tied to the natural world. However, I do feel at times it is a little too medicinal smelling or perhaps too mature for me. I don't want to say "too old," because I agree with a post in this thread that it is not old but classic and timeless (Edit: Ken_Russell), but perhaps I am "too young," and just don't understand enough about this one yet.

Things have changed a lot already and I look forward to continuing the process and maybe evaluating some other scents in a similar way. I'm going out with some friends for dinner in a bit, and I think I might use Vetiver since I haven't tested it at night yet.
    Last edited by thatguy73; 6th May 2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Gotta' give credit where credit is due.

Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Thanks, these are great!

(more than 1 spray. actually out and about). .
    I go for around 6 to 8 sprays myself, under clothes.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I go for around 6 to 8 sprays myself, under clothes.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Yeah, I could probably go for more, but I'm usually more cautious with scents I haven't adjusted to yet. It's a process of figuring out whether the scent is a "less is more," or "more is more" scent. GV doesn't seem like it would get overpowering or cloying with more sprays though. Thanks for the advice, I definately need to experiment with the ideal number of sprays as well.

Yeah, I could probably go for more, but I'm usually more cautious with scents I haven't adjusted to yet. It's a process of figuring out whether the scent is a "less is more," or "more is more" scent. GV doesn't seem like it would get overpowering or cloying with more sprays though. Thanks for the advice, I definately need to experiment with the ideal number of sprays as well.
    Experimentation is good. There are plenty of people here who'll suggest you have it right at 1 or 2 sprays, while there are plenty who'll suggest 6 or 8.

This forum is totally split and polarised on the issue of number of sprays.
    The compromise position of 3 to 5 sprays rarely gets a look in.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Im really enjoying this thread. One of the better ones on BNotes in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    I'm a big fan of the final drydown of the latest version of Vetiver, but unfortunately, getting there includes a detour to a PVC factory. I like the tobacco note enough, a lot of people don't, but there's no love in me for the vinyl note, even though it may just be part of the actual vetiver that is used.
    This note was not there up until the reformulation that came along with the frosted glass, stripped bottle.
    The tobacco is my favourite part of Vetiver by Guerlain.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Coincidence: I just wore some of this today, after the gym (although my bottle is the vintage juice, in the non-frosted bottle).

thatguy73 - try spraying this one on away from your neck/face...preferably only 2 sprays below your shirt (chest). NOT on arms, wrist, neck, etc. I find that applying it this way allows it to not overwhelm me with it's strident top notes.

And, of course, you really should try vintage juice. And if you can, vintage Eau de Cologne - the BEST version IMO.

Also, the shower gel rocks!
    "The plant that you have in your home - have you ever truly looked at it? Have you allowed that familiar yet mysterious being we call a plant to teach you its secrets? Have you noticed how deeply peaceful it is? How it is surrounded by a field of stillness? The moment you become aware of a plant's emanation of stillness and peace, that plant becomes your teacher."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The tobacco is my favourite part of Vetiver by Guerlain.
    +1

Drydown is the best part of GV, esp fresh sharp vetiver surrounded by tobacco.

I just love Guerlain Vetiver (since my first contact with it). Hey thatguy73, keep posting your feelings about this classic!

Blog Entries

No one has mentioned something that I notice with GV: there is an underlying Guerlainade-type floral bouquet. Because of this, it does not strike me as a really macho scent. But the interplay between the tobacco, vetiver and the floral stuff makes it interesting for me. Often the floral part is what lingers on my skin into the next day. (I am using the frosted reedy bottle.)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Coincidence: I just wore some of this today, after the gym (although my bottle is the vintage juice, in the non-frosted bottle).

thatguy73 - try spraying this one on away from your neck/face...preferably only 2 sprays below your shirt (chest). NOT on arms, wrist, neck, etc. I find that applying it this way allows it to not overwhelm me with it's strident top notes.

And, of course, you really should try vintage juice. And if you can, vintage Eau de Cologne - the BEST version IMO.

Also, the shower gel rocks!
    I certainly agree with you. This is best IMHO as a body scent. It smelled vile to me the first time I sampled it on my wrist, but it really does make a good showing when applied to the torso. If I ever come across the Vintage I do intend to try it and, of course, post any pros/cons.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardohmedina View Post
    I just love Guerlain Vetiver (since my first contact with it). Hey thatguy73, keep posting your feelings about this classic!
    Thanks for the encourgement (and this goes out to everyone else as well)! I'm enjoying doing this thread, and I'm glad to see that other people are interested as well. I'd like to take a look at other fragrances in this fashion as well, so if anyone has any ideas of scents they'd like me to seek out and do this with, feel free to message me and I'll start compiling a list.

I will, of course, continue my analysis of GV as well. I'm going to give myself a day or two without wearing it though before my next post about it so hit me up with any of the other fragrances you'd like to see put to the test in the meantime

After 10 years here, your the only other person I've seen mentioning the old EDC version.
    I've got both it and the old EDT version. For some weird reason, the EDC version lasts much longer on me than the old EDT version (although without the strength of the EDT).
    The new EDT version lasts longer than the old EDT version, and is slightly greener at the start, but otherwise, I have a hard time telling the difference.
    Regards,
    Renato

Getting same samples of the vintage formulas sent to me from mikeperez23. I'll be posting comparisons of the different formulations as soon as I get them and can conduct a fair test.

Basenotes Institution

After 10 years here, your the only other person I've seen mentioning the old EDC version...
    I 'discovered' it in 2008, I believe after I acquired a bottle of that vintage flanker you rarely hear mentioned, Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash by Guerlain. I wrote a thread about it here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215...ne-by-Guerlain
    "The plant that you have in your home - have you ever truly looked at it? Have you allowed that familiar yet mysterious being we call a plant to teach you its secrets? Have you noticed how deeply peaceful it is? How it is surrounded by a field of stillness? The moment you become aware of a plant's emanation of stillness and peace, that plant becomes your teacher."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I 'discovered' it in 2008, I believe after I acquired a bottle of that vintage flanker you rarely hear mentioned, Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash by Guerlain. I wrote a thread about it here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215...ne-by-Guerlain
    I've just read your thread.
    So now there are two of us in the world wondering why the old EDC version lasts for ages.
    Apart from the EDTs and EDC, the only other Guerlian Vetiver stuff I have is the shaving foam - for some reason they were getting rid of bottles of the old version coloured containers of shaving foam for $4 each down here.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 11th May 2011 at 05:12 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I've just read your thread.
    So now there are two of us in the world wondering why the old EDC version lasts for ages.
    Apart from the EDTs and EDC, the only other Guerlian Vetiver stuff I have is the shaving foam - for some reason they were getting rid of bottles of the old version coloured containers of shaving foam for $4 each down here.
    Renato
    I am wearing the EdC today as my SOTD and yep...it's almost 5:00 pm Eastern time here, I put it on at around 8:00 am and I can clearly smell it emanating off of my chest (mind you, I apply this heavily: 5-6 sprays...something I could NEVER do with the EdT or I'd choke!). This stuff is amazing. Every time I wear it I am completely satisfied.

I have yet to own the shaving foam, or deodorant yet - although I have owned (and loved) the vintage shower gel. I want some more, actually.

Did they ever make bar soap?

-- Eckhart Tolle

I am wearing the EdC today as my SOTD and yep...it's almost 5:00 pm Eastern time here, I put it on at around 8:00 am and I can clearly smell it emanating off of my chest (mind you, I apply this heavily: 5-6 sprays...something I could NEVER do with the EdT or I'd choke!). This stuff is amazing. Every time I wear it I am completely satisfied.

I have yet to own the shaving foam, or deodorant yet - although I have owned (and loved) the vintage shower gel. I want some more, actually.

Did they ever make bar soap?
    I don't know about the bar soap - I imagine it would have been good if it existed.

I once timed the EDC which lasted about 14 hours during my wrist test (it might have lasted longer, but I went to bed).
    Renato

Tried wearing this a couple of times this week and have got nothing but negative reviews from the wife, the mother in law, a "that smells awful" look from a cashier, hell my cat won't even come near me. Completely agree with the basenote member that gave this to me and "It's the gift that keeps on given. That it is Edward!"

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Tried wearing this a couple of times this week and have got nothing but negative reviews from the wife, the mother in law, a "that smells awful" look from a cashier, hell my cat won't even come near me. Completely agree with the basenote member that gave this to me and "It's the gift that keeps on given. That it is Edward!"
    If it's any consolation, my mom likes it.
    That's probably the only compliment I've gotten on it yet though. Fortunately, I like this one now so I can at least wear it for myself when the mood strikes.

Wore GV again today. Applied it in the afternoon to go out on a date that lasted into the night. No compliments on it, but no "ew gross" comments either. It's really strange. I feel like this fragrance is almost appropriate for any situation now. I also feel that it is both mature and youthful at the same time depending on circumstance. For example, when I wear it casualy I get a feeling of greeness, freshness, and youth exploring nature. When I wore it tonight more formally (we went to a semi-formal event) it gave me a more mature vibe. Not like an old man, but an experienced, self-assured feeling that a "younger man" couldn't understand while still maintaing its fresh, green nature in the heat. It's so strange to think I ever was repulsed by this fragrance.

Azzaro Pure Vetiver is the most over the top, loudest one you can find, and I am one of the few fans of it here.

Love the Azzaro too! I just dont get the negs on it.

@ OP... keep up the updates! This is a fun thread. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

...NDN-01!!!

Basenotes Institution

...I feel like this fragrance is almost appropriate for any situation now. I also feel that it is both mature and youthful at the same time depending on circumstance...
    I totally agree.

Just wait until winter, or some cold weather - GV shows a totally different side when worn in these conditions as well. It is this very detail that, IMO, makes a fragrance a 'classic'.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by NDN-01 View Post
    Love the Azzaro too! I just dont get the negs on it.

@ OP... keep up the updates! This is a fun thread. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

...NDN-01!!!
    It was greatly despised here until Scentemental wrote a big piece on it showing how it was like an over-the-top Andy Warhol work of art. I'm more mundane in my evaluation, seeing it as a vetiver version of a powerhouse like Chrome.
    Regards,
    Renato

I totally agree.

Just wait until winter, or some cold weather - GV shows a totally different side when worn in these conditions as well. It is this very detail that, IMO, makes a fragrance a 'classic'.
    Man, I agree 100%. GV became my fragrance for hot days. But the first time I used it in a cold morning I was pleasant surprised. GV is wonderful in cold days too!

Received samples of the vintage EDT and EDC in the mail today from Mike Perez. Expect testing and results within the next few days.

GV is the most versatile fragrance I own. Its is truly appropriate for ANY situation / season.