For me: Gengis Khan
Go to the powerhouse group discussion, there's a ton of ideas there.
SOTD: Davidoff for Men (1984) -- it's in the dictionary under mucho macho manly masculine man (the '84 unabridged oxford edition, of course). Not an easy find, but worth the hunt if you are into such things. Spicey, leather, with some castoreum to anchor. Now... What is easy to find is Vermeil for Men, go to scented monkey and buy some now. Do not think about it, just do it. I stumbled across some on ebay a month or so ago for a ridiculous price -- as a result, I went to the monkey and picked up backups for $11/per 3.4oz bottle on a deal (YMMV, but probably not by much). It is old school to the max, as they say. It shares many of the manly qualities of Davidoff 1984. Do it.
And there's always Yatagan.
For me: Gengis Khan
Creed Vintage Tabarome would fill the bill in my opinion.
These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
Encre noir invoked a feeling of manliness in me.
Today I wore Michael Jordan's Legend and was really impressed with it even though it is an inexpensive cologne. For a 'high quality' one I'd go with Pour Monsieur too.
This has been a fun and entertaining thread! Thanks to all who chimed in. I'm still smiling.
"Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez
Bois du Portugal. Can't imagine it on a woman.
By the way, I purchased some Mazzolari Lui. It smelled awful, like an unwashed and angry homeless guy who just finished stabbing someone for their wallet. But I give it props for being coherent.
Bois du Portugal by Creed
Rive Gauche by YSL
Obsession by CK
Fahrenheit by Dior
Aramis for Men
You specified Cologne, So Douro by Penhaligons.
Best and highest quality cologne ive smelled.
Or Cologne by Chanel.
Manly is subjective to ones age, location, alpha vs beta male. And total sniff-years experience. 5 years ago I had maybe 5 fragrances and would have scoffed at many in my collection.
But if you're asking which frags come across as having a pair, they've been lined up already. In descending order:
1. ELd'O Secretions Magnifique. It smells like freshly chopped bulls testicles. Blind buy. Can't go wrong. (jk)
2. Azzarro Pour Homme - Tea, Florals, Spices, more Tea. But it smells like its 1978 and you've been working out with Arnold.
3. Dior Farenheit : Gasoline :: Bulgari Black : Rubber
4a. Kouros - the way your dad smelled when he was a young man, talking up the ladies, smoking cloves, drinking whiskey.
4b. Aramis - the way your grandfather smelled etc while doing all these things and being much cooler than you
5. Quorum - it's a 1980's action movie set in forested area. sweat, lots of green, some bugs, some dirt, a splash of mint.
6. Creed Acier Aluminum - knight's steel armor and trousers have been unearthed somewhere in the UK and youre the curator in charge of cleaning them. after 2 days of cleaning, this is the best u will get them to smell.
7. Antaeus - old basement furniture
8. Tom Ford Tuscan Leather - the leather inside a restored Jag E-type Coupe
9. YSL Rive Gauche - Barbasol original shave cream + Kouros.
10. Lalique Encre Noir - Bruce Wayne
11. Creed BdP - what GIT's dad smelled like when he was ... oh nevermind
12. Montale Woods and Spice - take the classic woods/spice combo and add radioactive polar bear urine. dries down nicely.
there are many others, but that's it for now
adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous
dior homme and rive gauche
I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!
As a woman I'd
say Sycomore, Azzaro, Eau Sauvage
Manly man cologne to means stinky stuff older man wear or just stuff I plain hate.
Oscar Pour Lui
L'Air du desert marocain
Dior Eau Sauvage
Tuscan Leather - Tom Ford Private Blend