Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Are testers stronger?!

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. They're 100% the same juice

86 60.14%
  • Yes

8 5.59%
  • Some are stronger - some are the same as sold

10 6.99%
  • I know for a fact that they do

0 0%
  • I know for a fact that they don't

3 2.10%
  • I don't know

36 25.17%

Thread: #1 Perfume Myth

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default #1 Perfume Myth

Do you believe that tester bottles have slightly stronger
    juice in them, than the regular bottles we buy does?

Many people seem to think so. It's a rumor as old as
    boutique bought frags themselves.

--- EDIT ---

*I know for a fact that they are*
    *I know for a fact that they aren't*
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 4th May 2011 at 08:18 PM.

Default Re: #1 Perfume Myth

Good question and based on what I've read on here, I would say that testers are 'stronger'. Based on my own (limited) experience, particularly with TdH which seemed very fleeting on sampling, I do not believe this to be the case.

I think most of the time they are the same juice though differences may be down to old pre-formulated bottle testers or batch variations like with Creed.

I highly doubt that the companies would go through the trouble of mixing different concentrations in order to fool customers while 99 % of these dont give a rats ass about their perfume being just a tad stronger or weaker, not to mention would go through the trouble of doing a proper analysis on it.

By the way, Duckie, I thought the No 1 Perfume myth was "Only Natural Ingredients" ?
    Smellin good

+1 Jack. Would have said the same myself.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

Blog Entries

As far as testers go, I'm gonna say no.

As far as what I think the #1 perfume-related myth is that cologne gets you laid.

Maybe it's true, though! Maybe if I make the switch from "old man" cologne to Rochas Man, I'll be dropping panties like rain!

Sorry to derail your thread, Duckie.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    By all means, please do!
    It's fun to list all the myths.

I'm alo with you, Jack, I guess the differences
    are caused by older testers vs new bottles 4 sale.

LOL, Timaru.

Maybe the testers smell differently because the "juice" is spolied. Some department stores and boutiques display their perfumes like they were shrines. Glass shelves , halogen light 20 cm above the perfume for moths and months till the idol is consumed.
    I smelled a bottle of Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens in export bottle about 4 moths ago. So you know it was probably one of the last export bottlles SL tester in the world and i just felt it was different than what a SL should smell like. So the SA agreed to pop open a non-tester to test. I was right, it smelled more intense and fresh. I bought the last 2 and he gave me the empty tester bottle too lol.

So , fragrances spoil.

Maybe the testers smell differently because the "juice" is spolied. Some department stores and boutiques display their perfumes like they were shrines. Glass shelves , halogen light 20 cm above the perfume for moths and months till the idol is consumed.
    I smelled a bottle of Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens in export bottle about 4 moths ago. So you know it was probably one of the last export bottlles SL tester in the world and i just felt it was different than what a SL should smell like. So the SA agreed to pop open a non-tester to test. I was right, it smelled more intense and fresh. I bought the last 2 and he gave me the empty tester bottle too lol.

So , fragrances spoil.

For me they're the same.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I don't detect any difference.

For me, however, the number one perfume myth is that perfumes have a mystical aphrodisiac power that will make your love object swoon at your feet...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I don't detect any difference.

For me, however, the number one perfume myth is that perfumes have a mystical aphrodisiac power that will make your love object swoon at your feet...
    LOL! Jaime, that's a good one. Can we get a stick for that??

Also, another myth is that men's fragrances are for men alone, and women's scents should only be worn by women--period.

Otherwise, something horrible might happen...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

+1 to hedonist. I don't think the juice is different to begin with, but based on a number of factors like storage, batch timing, etc the tester might smell different to the purchased bottle.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

It's a mind fuck. They bombard your senses in a store, restaurant, bakery, etc. A simple experiment you can try is buy a cookie or chocolates in bakery or candy store and eat some there. Wait awhile and eat some when you get home. They don't taste as good at home. Mind fuck people.

Blog Entries

Conspiracy theories aside, there is not difference between testers and the real enchilada.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I don't think so but who knows for certain? Let's not give them these ideas ok? Can you not insist on testing the mechandise to make sure you're buying the real thing...?

The #1 myth is that niche is better than designer.

Sometimes you'll find an old tester which contains a different formulation of the juice sitting boxed on the shelf.

Personally, I think that the Number One perfume myth is that fragrance is only to be worn when you're trying to seduce a female, and has no intrinsic value in and of itself. Unfortunately, a lot of young males seem to hold this belief.

Same reason why I don't really like food truck gourmet dishes - as good as it might be, at the end of the day, you're still eating standing up.

Waitasec, is that applicable to this thread? Close enough.

Either it's true what they say about some testers being stronger, or it's false what the say about the longevity of D&G The One for men. I tested a single spray on my wrist in House of Fraser one afternoon and could still smell it on me the next morning when I woke up. I hope the latter is true because I am seriously considering a purchase of The One.

Guerlainista

I'd never thought about this. It makes sense that they would be stronger - it would help them stand out at a busy fragrance counter. Factory settings on TVs make them way too bright for normal viewing, just so that the display units will stand out among other sets on a sales floor.

I've bought several NIB testers and don't detect any difference, though. I agree with Hedonist that many of them have gone off in store.

As for the #1 perfume myth - I agree with Grottola and others here. Guys thinking that the right "cologne" will help them score with the ladies are pretty widespread. I blame advertising. It's a little pathetic to see people buy into the marketing hype.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Voted for: no, 100% the same

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Guys thinking that the right "cologne" will help them score with the ladies are pretty widespread. I blame advertising. It's a little pathetic to see people buy into the marketing hype.
    Always the master of understatement, Rubegon

Actually, with the rate of reformulations these days some testers are decidedly better / stronger / sexier than what's on the shelf. I have seen a few Guerlain testers that are 2 or 3 years senior to the bottles in stock. A year or two's difference circa 2007 - 2010 is vast for some of them. At least with Guerlain you can check the year, one must always be thankful for small mercies.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Always the master of understatement, Rubegon
    I know - I'm asking for trouble, MR. Can't help it, though - my tact filter is in the shop for a major overhaul.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Banned
    Blog Entries

Testers are 100% the same.

Any differences you experience are either because of nostalgia bias or batch variations

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Testers contain the exact same juice your are purchasing in a retail bottle. Just like books that are sold with different covers on them.

I was looking for the "same initially, but degraded" voting option due to being stored in light for too long.

I have yet to come across a tester that is stronger than the original.

100000% the same! i have many tester = regular
    smell different = fake or different batch like vintage
    My Top 3 Scent
    1 Aventus
    2 Dior homme intense (Vintage)
    3 L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme L'Eau Extrême

It's probably just that people spritz around 30 times in a shop whilst only 2 x at home.

Hey Grand Duck, your inbox is full so I cant PM you.

I used to rely on these tiny spray testers in the past. After numerous experiences I don't do that anymore, instead I try to get a tester bottle to sniff in a store.
    If small sprayers are "custom"-made, e.g. from AusLiebezumDuft, the results are mostly accurate, because they extract from a real bottle.

It's all mental...lol
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    It's all mental...lol
    It's capitalism. They cheat wherever they can... lol
    Last edited by Tristram; 8th November 2013 at 08:51 AM.

Living in a world where controlling costs is of tremendous importance to manufacturers it is very tempting to think that there might be something like this taking place. And I think, in some limited cases, it does take place.

When I was a regular person who used colognes "occasionally" I really cared about performances when it came to scents. In fact, this might have been how came across this forum in the first place, asking google "which are the colognes that last the longest" or something along those lines.

One time when I was buying something from Macys, I was given a 10ml factory made decant of YSL La Nuit. Didnt think much of it and did three sprays on the neck next morning and went to work. The thing was BEASTLY all day. I couldnt believe it!

Some time later picked up a big bottle, also from Macy's. Same three sprays - becomes skin scent after 2 hours ( and thats at best).

So.. go figure.

Also, this should be moved to Mens Fragrance section because: a.) this is all mostly about mens fragrances and b.) no one cares whats posted outside of mens forum Or so it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Also, this should be moved to Mens Fragrance section because: a.) this is all mostly about mens fragrances and b.) no one cares whats posted outside of mens forum Or so it seems...
    That's not true at all! In fact, I'd argue that some of the more in-depth, thoughtful discussion takes place outside of that forum!

But also:

a) This is a thread that's been resuscitated—it's three years old.

b) The topic has been brought up a number of times since.

c) It's a topic that nobody can actually answer with any certainty.

I think it doesn't hurt sometimes... Didn't hurt last night anyway...she kept it clean for Facebook, but it was a lot more than just a hug... Well...maybe a hug is what left the scent on her hoodie. Thank you "Only the Brave" by Diesel...

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    As far as what I think the #1 perfume-related myth is that cologne gets you laid.

Maybe it's true, though! Maybe if I make the switch from "old man" cologne to Rochas Man, I'll be dropping panties like rain!

A single simple smile can change the world…

Fragrances owned, but not in the basenotes database:

Blue Escape - Avon
    Cuba Silver Blue - Parfums Des Champs
    In Red pour homme - Estelle Ewen
    Untouchable - Avon
    Version of - Jordache/Jean Philippe (Dollar Tree product. Multiple fragrances; most are not great copy attempts.)

Probably not. Maybe if it were some company hard pressed for business lol. Most testers are left out in the sun in a warm store though, so they usually smell different.

It may be that some people have this impression due to using a tester to smell a fragrance for the first time, possibly an intense sensory impact. Subsequent exposures don't have that same intensity.
    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/13449822&t=totry&s=n