Code of Conduct

Default L'Heure Bleue, a new love affair

So much has been written about this perfume, that like most newcomers to Guerlain, I had to try it. I bought a small bottle blind, and what a delight!!!It's addictive. All I wanted this morning was to re-experience what I had felt yesterday.

I won't bother reiterating the notes, the subtleties, the delights of this classic. It's all been said far more eloquently than I could hope to do. However, I have written this because I hope it may encourage the beginner to try it.

At first spray, I thought, 'hello, this is very much like Apres l'Ondee'. But that was just a momentary thing. Then it began to weave its magic. Out came all these wonderful notes, blended to perfection. I can see why this perfume has survived almost 100 years.

I don't dare search out a vintage, because I couldn't stand the sense of loss, knowing that I couldn't just indulge myself whenever I wanted to long, langurous times with LHB. If this reformulated version (I assume) is so good, what must the ORIGINAL have been like? Too good to imagine. Too sad to know it's gone.

If you decide to try it, get a decent sample. You need enough to really get a good taste of what it offers. I have found that buying a 5ml sample is enough to really get intimate with a perfume. 1-2 mls just isn't enough. It doesn't allow for a couple of different times of decent sampling. First impressions can be misleading, and some of these 'classics' need more than one try. I found that with Apres l'Ondee where it took a week or so of using it, to really see what the fuss was about.

Cheers
    LiliB

Default Re: L'Heure Bleue, a new love affair

I bought it as a gift for a woman in my life, and I immediately wanted to buy a bottle for myself, too. I doubt I would wear it in public, but it is an amazing, classic fragrance, to say the absolute least. It'll end up in my collection sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by LiliB View Post
    I don't dare search out a vintage, because I couldn't stand the sense of loss, knowing that I couldn't just indulge myself whenever I wanted to long, langurous times with LHB. If this reformulated version (I assume) is so good, what must the ORIGINAL have been like? Too good to imagine. Too sad to know it's gone.
    That's exactly how I am feeling about Mitsouko right now.

By chance I just put on L'Heure Bleue and I think it may be growing on me. I don't really get an evening feeling from it, in spite of the name, in fact I was wondering how it might feel on a sunny day or even at the beach. But impressions change.

The other day I thought I'd revisit Shalimar to see if my feelings had changed, but no, still can't quite reconcile with that much civet.

It for some reason is often described as sad. I would never dream of wearing a fragrance which made me sad!!

You are so right it does have a sort of narcotic feel going on. The intense Guerlainade base. Now I really have to be in the mood for L'Heure but I would never dream of not having a bottle of at least the edp.
    DONNA

I'm pleased to hear that you are under the spell of L'Heure Bleue!
    What concentration is your decant? With regard to vintage... I own a 50-odd year old extrait bottle that had practically no evaporation and the color of the jus was still fairly bright and is presumably very well preserved. Let me put it this way... it's very special and quite a different story to my perception. It's very soft and velvety and its subtle nuances is the thrill about it, but there is a big musk hidden in it. If you love today's extrait (like I do, too) I don't think there is a disappointment when you experience the vintage. It' like adding another love story to the repertoire, another facet... it adds up to the experience. And then, we don't know what the 50 years did to the soft floral notes? If you love the powdery aspect of L'Heure Bleue you could always watch out for a vintage EdP (in the golden-black box), which comes up on ebay occasionally at reasonable prices. Certainly a good investment!

Basenotes Institution

L'Heure Bleue in extrait- modern extrait - is unbelievably wonderful. I remember spraying myself very liberally with the extrait and carrying on during the day when I was in London. I got this gourmand ,heavenly waft from somewhere - couldn't work it out for a while and then I realised,my gosh , it was the L'Heure Bleue extrait. There is something really magical going on with it in extrait form . There are few perfumes that reach that threshold of truly 'heavenly.'
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    It for some reason is often described as sad. I would never dream of wearing a fragrance which made me sad!!
    Never has the word "bittersweet" been more appropriate. The carnation/clove/violet confluence has an astringent melancholy, while the orange blossom/Guerlanade aspect is both warm and mouthwatering.

Inedible, indelible, incredible. I wish more women my age wore this.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

L'Heure Bleue is - by far - my fave mainstream Guerlain!

L'Heure Bleue certainly carries that emotional impact its name suggests. No wonder it has somehow inspired many newer Guerlains. Interesting to think of that also Jacques Guerlain himself was obsessed with the formula which he made several variations of, until only L'Heure Bleue survived.

Next year will mark its 100th anniversary, and when I was in Paris last month, the SA told me that Guerlain will celebrate it. She knew of no details though. It poses the question: will L'Heure Bleue finally find its flanker...?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    L'Heure Bleue certainly carries that emotional impact its name suggests. No wonder it has somehow inspired many newer Guerlains. Interesting to think of that also Jacques Guerlain himself was obsessed with the formula which he made several variations of, until only L'Heure Bleue survived.

Next year will mark its 100th anniversary, and when I was in Paris last month, the SA told me that Guerlain will celebrate it. She knew of no details though. It poses the question: will L'Heure Bleue finally find its flanker...?
    However, I am enjoying LHB a lot today being outside on this sunny and warm day. I have a fond memory of wearing it with great pleasure too on a cold and rainy day envelopping me with its powdery charm.

Guerlain will hopefully show enough taste to come up with a lovely, stylish deluxe presentation with the jus being true to its nature (current or vintage). No blue colored jus with a fancy note added, please!!!

L'Heure Bleue is my HG perfume. When I wear it, it is beyond any other perfume. Have never smelled the extrait, but do have the edp. Thanks for the description, Mimi.

Basenotes Institution

I don't know what variations Guerlain will come up with if they do decide on a flanker. It would be interesting to see what happens. With Chanel No.5 and Shalimar getting flankers, it may well happen !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I first smelled L'Heure Bleue in Paris. It was just at dusk and my mother was showing me her new bottle as we sat together on her balcony. The memory has always stayed with me, every once in a while I think I should get one just for me.

That's a lovely story, beachroses! I have a picture in mind.

Thank you to those who have so kindly shared their feelings about LHB with me.

Finding the Guerlains and other classics that the mere mortals in the department stores have never known, has had one unforeseen effect. The perfumes that I loved in the past, or maybe just liked, seem tame and uninteresting. I have given away Paris, Beautiful and White Linen. I just couldn't wear them anymore.

It's like having a lovely young boyfriend from your High School years and then going out with a sophisticated, experienced, exciting older man. There just isn't any going back to Friday nights at the movies and cuddling sessions in the car. lol!! A page has been irrevocably turned in your life.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Guerlain fragrance! My mother was a devotee and I now follow. I wore my LHB this mother's day in her honor.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    L'Heure Bleue is - by far - my fave mainstream Guerlain!
    The question is - is this really mainstream? Not many wear it - and many say that they can't, because LHB wears them.
    Unique, absolutely romantic and classy.

I am rediscovering this gem in the EDP. A classic. Quiet and timeless.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hello everyone, I just bought the EdP for l'heure bleue for my wife, I tried it on my skin and get a rather prominent gasoline note.

Does anyone else have this impression or do you think the bottle may be off?

Thanks for any response!

I don't know might account for the gasoline note, although there are weird edges to this one. The gourmand aspect and the earthiness of the iris sit oddly side by side, esp in the opening. Sometimes compared to playdough. How's the drydown in your wife's bottle, gtsb? Always glad to see L'Heure Bleue getting some attention. It's one that brings me so so much pleasure.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

The drydown seems fine to me (my wife is elsewhere right now, so I'm trying it out before I give it to her)--beautiful, warm, and powdery.

The "gasoline" note seems to be mainly a top note, it was gone in about a half an hour. That's interesting what you were saying above Strollyourlobster (is your screen name an allusion to Nerval by the way?), it may very well be the iris...

Oh well, at any rate, _I_ like this sort of note (for myself in Knize Ten for example), I hope she does too!

Er. . . sure you didn't stop at a Conoco station before you got home? Sorry, but I don't get gasoline at all.

Is it an older bottle (black-golden box vs. golden only)? I only have the older, golden-black boxed and it surely has a somewhat 'harsh' and weird opening. The same is said for En Avion in the opening. I don't get it in neither, but assume it is the orange blossom with the initial alcohol blast plus some spicy notes that creates this?

Yeah, I don't remember getting a gasoline note when I tried this at a store... I ordered it from scentedmonkey, and I'm sure it is legitimate, the question is if the top notes are "off"... the base is awesome and as it should be. Oh well, it doesn't really matter, it's still great.

I think it is a newer bottle (gold packaging), but it may be overstock from the middle east, there is Arabic on the bottom of the box. Perhaps it could be older stock in a newer bottle? It definitely has that harsh "weird" opening--but whatever, it's amazing!

Blog Entries

The thing is weird, but not fuel to my nose...I did not love it on first sniff, yet here I am making a dent in the bottle. Anyway, nothing would surprise me from a fragrance from 1912...

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

gtsb, it definitely is AMAZING and perfectly alright I am pretty sure! Enjoy and do steal it from your wife from times to times!

How does the EDT compare to the EDP? I've only tried the latter. I'd love to hear differences in notes, longevity

queen of the universe

It poses the question: will L'Heure Bleue finally find its flanker...?
    Gosh I hope NOT!

LillB, I thoroughly enjoy your Guerlain explorations. Always happy to see a thread of yours when I come to the forums.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    I think it is a newer bottle (gold packaging), but it may be overstock from the middle east, there is Arabic on the bottom of the box. Perhaps it could be older stock in a newer bottle? It definitely has that harsh "weird" opening--but whatever, it's amazing!
    I have the same bottle (from the same source). I don't get the gasoline, but I understand what you mean about the strangeness in the opening. To my nose - bergamot + violet = weird, yet still irresistible. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Does anyone else have this impression or do you think the bottle may be off?
    Other people have disagreed with me but I understand what you mean about a gasoline note in L'Heure Bleue and also Mitsouko. I don't think it smells like actual gas (not a smell I am very familiar with as I don't drive) but the thought that came to mind when I smelled it was gasoline.