Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation NEW RELEASE: The Different Company Oud Shamash

I went to poke around TDC's website and a massive picture of the new Duchaufour oud gobbled up my screen.

It is called Oud Shamash (no jokes please) from the aptly-named "Excessive Collection", which will apparently be "Heaven on Earth":

A spiritual journey to the heart of the Far East, an exclusive fragrance.Oud Shamash starts off with a spicy accord of Pink Pepper, Saffron and Cinnamon. The exploration deepens into the resinous yet mysterious accord of the Absolu of Oud.A luminous alchemy intensified by the sensual heat of amber notes and patchouli..A vibrant and enchanting fragrance which celebrates the Sun God.

Head notes : Safron, Cinnamon Ceylan, Pink Pepper, Davana essence, Rhum CO2 from Jamaïca

Heart notes : Turkish Rose Essence, St Thomas, Nagarmotha

Bottom notes : Oudh from Laos « absolu », Ciste absolu, Santal, Greay Amber, dry wooddy notes, Patchouli, Leather Notes, White Musks, Bourbon Vanilla, Tolu résinoïde

http://www.thedifferentcompany.com/i...=1&language=en

-----

I don't know if it is supposed to be masculine or feminine but whatever it is, it sounds rather good (though the ad copy looks like a rush job?!). Anyone else tempted to hit the purchase button scent unsniffed?

EDIT: Fedex shipping to the Unites States costs a minimum of $30, rising with the weight of the order. Grrr...
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 7th May 2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: International shipping is a load of wank

Default Re: NEW RELEASE: The Different Company Oud Shamash

Thanks for the info.

Oy vey, another "oud"

I, for one, would like to know how on Earth they managed to produce an oud "absolu". The fragrant oils in oud are so strongly bonded to the wood the conventional method of making an absoulte will surely yeild no commercially viable quantity of oil, not to mention how this would be a huge waste of expensive oud wood, even if it's cultivated. There's a reason why oud oils are mostly steam- and very rarely, hydro-distilled and there's no "oud absolutes" for sale anywhere. Unless, of course, they just used oud oil produced by regular steam or CO2 distillation and called it a French name to add a flair of mystique.

Interesting to see what this scent turns out to be. Even though I have not seen anything "oud" released in the recent years even remotely approach the real thing, Duchaufour's name makes me curious enough to wanna sniff this one.

Post Thanks / Like

The word Shamash sounds like Shams which means Sun in Arabic.

When I read Oud Shamash I immediately knew it was something about the sun.

According to answers.com

Shamash (shä'mäsh), sun god of Semitic origin, worshiped in Babylonia and Assyria. He was one of the great deities of ancient Middle Eastern religions, god of law, order, and justice. The chief center of his cult was Sippar. In Sumerian civilization he was called Utu.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/shamash#ixzz1LjNAcrDE

Babylonia, Mesopotamia and Assyria arent in the far east. So the "spiritual journey to the far east" introduction to the perfume should have been "spiritual journey to the middle east", as that is primarily where Babylonia, Mesapotamia and Assyria are located.
    Or they should have used the "far east" version of "Shamash". This way the introduction would be consistent with the title.

Very conflicting information.

Notes look good though.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I would be sarcastically thrilled at the fact there is yet another oud fragrance being launched, but what can I say, Duchaufour has his nose in this one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it weren't an oud scent, I'd be sorely tempted, but I'm not an oud lover, so I'm going to wait until I get a sniff. The new Celine scent, Pure Virgin, has me intrigued, since I always love her stuff.

Looks fabulous, though. I will do my best to get to some place that has it. I really want to sniff this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Normally I would be sarcastically thrilled at the fact there is yet another oud fragrance being launched, but what can I say, Duchaufour has his nose in this one...
    LOL - agreed. TDC had better watch out - if they do another one, they might turn into The Bond Company.

DeepSilence

Thank you Emlynevermore
    Seems new fragrances have more Saffron and Oud. I don't know how Saffron smells in fragrances. My thought is, it should be a dark woody/oriental/floral. In this notes i think we have lack of Geranium!
    Last edited by DeepSilence; 8th May 2011 at 06:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't mention the size of the bottle, the one from the front page looks like a small bottle (maybe a 50ml?) but when you click and look at the description the bottle there looks kinda bigger...

It seems that every single house is now taking the opportunity to jump on board and release an oud scent...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by b3t0_1972 View Post
    It doesn't mention the size of the bottle, the one from the front page looks like a small bottle (maybe a 50ml?) but when you click and look at the description the bottle there looks kinda bigger...
    The bottle on their description page does look like their 90ml bottle, but the bottle they have for sale on their website is 50ml.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSilence View Post
    Thank you Emlynevermore
    Seems new fragrances have more Saffron and Oud. I don't know how Saffron smells in fragrances. My thought is, it should be a dark woody/oriental/floral. In this notes i think we have lack of Geranium!
    Saffron can be really good, although what you may be smelling is an aromachemical like safraleine, which is used to get a handle on the scent of real saffron. That one is used in Givenchy Pi Neo, which I love.

My favorite saffron-reminiscent scent would have to be L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like ELDO to put out an oud pretending to be serious...

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember hearing something about this on Grain de Musc's blog last time I read it, however I was unaware it was already in release. Thanks for the tip emlynevermore.

I did not like Duchaufour's oud release that he did for L' Artisan (Al Oudh), so I'm not holding my breath. Nonetheless, those cinnamon top notes immediately perked up my interest. I have yet to smell a very spicy oud fragrance.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I quickly sniffed Al Oudh on paper and didn't get much of an impression either way, although I want to smell it again, preferably on skin.

I'm still curious what Duchaufour's other take on oud will be. I can't bring an image to mind from those topnotes.

I haven't smelled any of the incense ouds, but _that_ I'd like to see Duchaufour's take on.

Thanks for the info.....The Oud train keeps on rollin.....And this sounds very interesting that's for sure!!!
    Gary

DeepSilence

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Saffron can be really good, although what you may be smelling is an aromachemical like safraleine, which is used to get a handle on the scent of real saffron. That one is used in Givenchy Pi Neo, which I love.

My favorite saffron-reminiscent scent would have to be L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant.
    Thank you Redneck Perfumisto. Seems it's stronger than what i thought. I expected something sweet,floral,warm,... from this note.

With closed eyes, i say, i love this stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have yet to smell a very spicy oud fragrance.
    SoOud Fam, with its chili topnote and (likely) safraleine heart, might qualify. Asmar from the same line is more of a spice cabinet gourmand oud, but possibly the more interesting of the two.

I am intrigued by the notes list's inclusion of nagarmotha (cypriol--a new D. signature?), oud, Tolu balsam, and dry woody notes. If these are all prominent, then perhaps we can expect the presentation box to come with a bottle of Perrier?

shouldn't this be available at Barney's somewhere? can someone please sniff it for us and report back

It sounds AMAZING, top of my, to smell list. Must trek to Aedes.

I did get to smell it in Printemps Paris, but sadly my nose was overloaded and it just came across as another oud scent, as did Kilians...

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    I, for one, would like to know how on Earth they managed to produce an oud "absolu".
    Good question !
    The fragrant oils in oud are so strongly bonded to the wood the conventional method of making an absoulte will surely yeild no commercially viable quantity of oil, not to mention how this would be a huge waste of expensive oud wood, even if it's cultivated.
    But "conventional method of making an absoulte" generally produce more absolute than what's obtained by steam distillation...
    There's a reason why oud oils are mostly steam- and very rarely, hydro-distilled and there's no "oud absolutes" for sale anywhere.
    It's true but as far as I know the reason is ... making an absolute would be a huge waste of expensive... solvent ! The essential oil is just THE good way to extract oud scent.
    Unless, of course, they just used oud oil produced by regular steam or CO2 distillation and called it a French name to add a flair of mystique.
    Possible, those french are so... Ah, je suis français ? ;-)

Anyone tested it yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah anyone?

Haha, this one never seemed to get much attention anywhere. I'm guessing that means it was a huge disappointment. It is still available though.
    http://www.thedifferentcompany.com/f...duct_info.html

its smells exactly like indian rose shroff incense, the durbar kind.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if it's a disappointment as right now it is only in limited release, like De Bachmakov before it. This still isn't available anywhere in the US. I'm still interested in trying it. De Bachmakov doesn't get much attention but it is a great scent.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    De Bachmakov doesn't get much attention but it is a great scent.
    Agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Rum and Oud and Rose and Bourbon Vanilla - 165 Euros shipped. Dear Santa...
    Patience is the parent of success

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Can anyone give a detailed review now??? Been curious about this one for awhile now
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Very curious here, too. Wish I could find a sample of it somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried this? I'm very curious.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

The perfumed court has it available for sampling now.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have yet to smell a very spicy oud fragrance.
    How strange. It seems a natural fit. Regardless, this one sounds rose dominant.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    I am intrigued by the notes list's inclusion of nagarmotha (cypriol--a new D. signature?), oud, Tolu balsam, and dry woody notes. If these are all prominent, then perhaps we can expect the presentation box to come with a bottle of Perrier?
    i don't get it

On their website, they also have a new Oud fragrance called Oud for Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    On their website, they also have a new Oud fragrance called Oud for Love.
    Thanks for the info on this new one. Wasn't aware of this one. Oud Shamash is a great fragrance IMO. Hope the new one is on par with this.