Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question What is "extrait" in this context?

In the context of a fragrance listed as "Vintage Lanvin Arpege Extrait"---what does the word extrait mean? (I assume it has connotations of extract) but how does it work in this perfume's title? I don't think I've run across this typification of a perfume as the "extrait". Thanks, BB
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

Default Re: What is "extrait" in this context?

Extrait is the smoothest and purest form of a fragrance. The extrait will contain the highest concentration (or perfume oil) of the fragrance.

Of course, if you are wearing the oil version of the fragrance, that will be the strongest.

Perhaps a clearer explanation is here: http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-faq/

Mike (:

Oh, I forgot to mention. 'Extrait' is french for 'extract'. Think of it like that

Blog Entries

It is another word for the perfume form of the fragrance.

Blog Entries

Thank you both!
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez

so just confirming, "extrait" is the french for "extract" and basically it just connotes pure Parfum strength?

what's the rough percentage of oil that corresponds to? (I've seen very varied figures)

thanks.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I found this from an eBay guide, so I hope it is relatively accurate:

These terms refer to the strength of the fragrance, or more specifically, to how much high grade alcohol and/or water that has been added to the fragrance oils. Parfum (generally the most concentrated form you can buy) has 15-25% perfume oil dissolved in alcohol. Any mixture with a lower proportion of oil to alcohol is known as an Eau.

Eau Fraiche (Usually 3% or less perfume oil)
    Eau de cologne - EDC (2 - 5% perfume oil)
    Eau de toilette - EDT (4 - 10% perfume oil)
    Eau de parfum - EDP (8 - 15% perfume oil)
    Soie de Parfum (15 - 18% perfume oil)
    PARFUM (15 - 25% -- also sometimes referred to as Extract or Extrait)
    Perfume oil (15-30% perfume oil in an oil rather than alcohol base)

You may also see the term Parfum de Toilette. Most companies use this term to describe a concentration that is either the same as Eau De Parfum, or between Eau De Parfum and Parfum.
    The 3 most common perfume fragrances you will purchase are:
    PARFUM - This is one of the strongest perfume fragrance available. This means that you need to use less and the fragrance will last much longer depending on skin type. Will last 6 to 8 hours.
    EAU DE PARFUM - EDP This is lighter than the Parfum and is less expensive, but still has long lasting fragrance smell. Will last from 3 to 5 hours.
    EAU DE TOILETTE - EDT This is a lighter fragrance and is therefore most used for the casual everyday use. It is less expensive than Eau de Parfum. Will lasts for 2 to 4 hours.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.