Code of Conduct

Default 1697 by Frapin - Bertrand Duchaufour

I spent at least 6-8 hrs sniffing on Saturday. For the larger part just confirming what I and others already know. Looking for inspiration in a bottle. Going through the NEW Dior Collection Ė Armani Privee ďLA CollectionĒ (ohh Arabie Rose but thatís another thread) etc..

Surprise of the day!
    Then I came across a special edition (limited) 1697 (2011) by Frapin. Maitre Perfumer: Bertrand Duchaufour. Defintely NOW on my want list. Just a few more days to sample it first. Surprised this is not being discussed a lot on Base Notes. Its an awesome gourmet that is definitley a very well made masculine scent without it being a in your face scent like a Knize, Tiffany For Men, Caron Pour Homme etc..
    It is a lot more refined going towards Thierry Muglerís Pure Malt genre style BUT richer and a lot more depth.
    JohnHoward sumís it up in his review and only review on Base Notes;
    Imagine taking one of Frapinís award winning XOs and evaporating all the alcohol out of it until you were left with just the concentrate. Thatís what this is.
    Any one else feel the same way?
    Warm and rich molasses with dried fruit, a touch of oak, and a faint floral rose. Extremely complex and quite the gourmand!

Any other Base Noter's know this scent? Comments please?

Default Re: 1697 by Frapin - Bertrand Duchaufour

1697 sounds spectacular...I've to chek it out!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Ive tested it as well. Its beautiful, complex and well constructed. It had me at the opening. The best boozy fragrance in a long time. Im saving my pennies as I speak. Will pull the trigger these week.(Come on Al)

Cheers Rex
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

I felt it was too dense, thick and flat. I love 1270 and Caravelle Epices though.

I flipped over this after smelling it last week. I quickly grabbed a bottle (got the second to the last one at MIN NY) and I'm so glad I did. For me it's definately a fall/ winter, by-the-fireside with brandy scent, but I wasn't going to wait to til fall or I'd never score a bottle!

I bought a bottle right before Sniffapalooza weekend at MinNY. It's a limited edition fragrance. Bottles are numbered with only 1697 bottles in total available. It's enchanting and worth every penny, if you can find it. MinNY & Lucky Scent are apparently the only two US sources for it and MinNY told me that they would not be able to get anymore from Frapin so you may have to go to European source to get bottles once Lucky Scent is out of stock. (MinNY was expecting to be out of stock after Sniffapalooza weekend.) Hoping Frapin reconsiders the limited edition nature of this one (even though that's what bumped up the cost of my bottle dramatically) and continues to produce somewhere down the line.

Min had one left as of last week and will not be getting more. If someone wants it, call ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    Surprised this is not being discussed a lot on Base Notes.
    There was lengthy discussion of 1697 here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/269...ce-Frapin-1697

Basenotes Institution

Loved it when I smelled it too, but I can't afford a bottle and this is definitely a fall/winter fragrance for me living in Miami.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

A wonderful scent and happy I have it in my collection.

I was going to get it. I was convinced to pull the trigger on Idole Lubin . It's very nice, a cool evening in spring or fall, winter .

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    There was lengthy discussion of 1697 here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/269...ce-Frapin-1697
    Definitely read through that thread. I've now tested it a couple times and really like it. The first couple hours are what I enjoy most - it seems to lose steam and turn a bit generic woody after that, but still quite enjoyable. Mind you, that's only from testing on a hand and I haven't worn it fully yet, but I think it is something I'll want once I give it a full wear.

*runs off to eBay some stuff around the house to buy one*
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Does anyone else make a connection between this and Egoiste ?
    Not a copy of Egoiste by any means but pretty close together to my nose.

Bought it today!
    Got a 10% discount off retail price. Then the SA said as it was the last one they had left in stock and being a "one off batch" Limited Edition (numbered) they gave me the shops 50ml Bottle Tester (20ml remaining). So pleased!