Code of Conduct

Default Ladies Over 35 ......

Ladies what is your favourite cologne on a gentleman over 40 ?

Regards,

John

Default Re: Ladies Over 35 ......

This is no help, but I complimented a man yesterday on his fragrance and asked him what it was. I suppose he was in his 50s. For once, it was a situation in which I could comfortably ask. I told him I was interested because I am a perfume hobbyist. He replied that he mixed his own fragrance from a couple of different things which he did not name and I didn't press him. I told him it smelled wonderful. He said he liked "sweeter" fragrances, not tart or citrus fragrances. It smelled like some kind of a clean musk /amber mix that just barely wafted from his clothes when he was close, and it really suited him. I like scents like that. Also patchouli & woodsy scents.

age doesnt matter

fav mens perfumes are mostly the ones from ysl; M7, Body Kouros, Opium, Rive Gauche Intense (the ordinary version not so much), kouros is also good, but Body Kouros is better.

If you choose Opium, i recommend you take edp, its such a thick and lucious scent, just a few squirts, dont overdo it, its really strong.

And from niche ones I would point out Jubilation, other mens niche havent really impressed me that much.
    chown -R us ./base

Age does not matter, so this has already been said. A young man who smells nice is as pleasant as an older one who smells nice.

I just don't like it when men wear those ubiquitous aquatics!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Agree age does not matter.

Once I was sitting at the bus stop and a group of teenage boys arrived all dressed in their school uniforms. The one who was nearest me smelt fabulous, he was about 16 and had the usual spots, but he smelt fabulous. I recognised he was wearing M7.
    DONNA

Regardles of age - in summer, anything with lavender!

Actually, age does matter to quite a few people. It doesn't matter to me in terms of fragrance, but it certainly does in terms of clothing/makeup and the look I want (not) to project. I can see how some people would want an age appropriate fragrance as well. Not to say it should or should not matter, just that it does, and I think it's a valid point.

well if i should think of mens fragrances for older and younger men, to be honest, i couldnt tell the difference.

Should the younger men be wearing lighter fragrances?

Well then all of the above i mentioned are for older men because all the fragrances that are light are the ones that i dont like because they have nothing to offer, they aren't rich or seductive and they mostly smell like toilet refreshener.
    chown -R us ./base

Quote Originally Posted by Leukothea View Post
    well if i should think of mens fragrances for older and younger men, to be honest, i couldnt tell the difference.

Should the younger men be wearing lighter fragrances?
    I'm not sure, Leukothea, and I take your point. I think, it's more from the wearer's perspective that a fragrance seems or does not seem age appropriate to him- or herself. Young ladies don't want to wear "old lady" fragrances (though some do), and more mature women don't want to wear teeny bopper fruity scents (though some do). That usually seems to be more in the mind of the wearer, doesn't it?

Okay ladies. For instance, do you like Creed Bois du Portugal, Millisime Imperial, Guerlain Derby, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Black Orchid, Musc Ravageur ???

These are some of the fragrances I enjoy at my old age of 45. Do you have any other frags you like on a mid forties professional ?

John, if you are old at 45 you are gonna have to be old for a really long time. You might want to wait until you are older to be old.

It does sound like you smell good!

johnjohn, I would have to say, then, to try Penhaligon's Sartorial. This a a modern fougere. Very barbershoppy and not likely to be like young men's Acqua di Gio types.

Guaranteed to make you smell like an old man! Actually, this is pleasant and any man can wear this (or even a bold woman). It is very sophisticated and mature.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post
    Okay ladies. For instance, do you like Creed Bois du Portugal, Millisime Imperial, Guerlain Derby, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Black Orchid, Musc Ravageur ???

These are some of the fragrances I enjoy at my old age of 45. Do you have any other frags you like on a mid forties professional ?
    Those are pretty good !

My husband who is well over 45 - he smells very good in Tabarome by Creed, Derby by Guerlain , Gucci by Gucci for men ( this is really good on him ) .
    I think Royal English Leather is wonderful too.

And age is really just the number of years of wisdom you have gained on this earth so wear whatever makes you feel good ,speaks of your personality - rather than concentrating on the age factor.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I think any well-made fragrance works well on men of any age. I have been wearing more masculines - M7, Egoiste, Bel Ami (which I have caused several people to purchase). If you haven't tried it, that new Houbigant Fougere Royale is pretty nice - I just got a sample. If you haven't tried any Heeleys, there are some lovely scents in the line that are quite unisex. But I am of the mind that a confident man can rock anything - I know many men who wear scents marketed to women. If it smells good on you, wear it, I always say.

johnjohn, you have good taste - Musc Ravageur is a particular favourite of mine. Unfortunately, I can't get my husband to wear it, so I wear it myself! I also like Habit Rouge - another one I have to wear because he won't. He is (almost) 45 and smells great in Terre d'Hermes and Pour Monsieur.

Thank you ladies, you are very helpful. Some great suggestions ! I use Terre D'Hermes and Aventus also. I would recommend Creed Aventus to any man over forty , for spring and summer. It's lucious and very dreamy .

Quote Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post

I am in my forties and do not care for strong amber, patchouli, sweet, musky scents. I prefer clean chypre, vetiver (not Tom Ford, though), lavender, citrus, and yes - even the much loathed aquatic - to anything sweet on a man that I'd have to be around for any length of time. From those on your list, my least favorite are MR, BO, and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. Probably my favorite from your list would be the MI or perhaps the Derby - that one I remember favorably, but it is a little vague to my memory as I only sniffed it once.

Suggestions for a mid-forties professional - from a woman with traditional taste! :

If you don't mind smelling "established", shall we say: Sous le Vent, Eau Sauvage, Guerlain Vetiver, Caron Pour un Homme, the old Polo, any of the Guerlain colognes, Aromatics Elixir (also Aramis 900 - I think it's the same thing?)

If you want a more modern vibe, I would suggest Hermes - Orange, Voyage, Terre, even Caleche or K. Caleche (I wear the K. Caleche parfum to work frequently and it's a compliment getter), if you don't mind going toward the more feminine frags. In fact, if you do like sweeter scents (and from your list, you do) there is a vanilla - vanille galante? and Vetiver Tonka that might work nicely.

Please let us know what you decide to do!

I like woody scents on my husband - Tom Ford Oud Wood, L'Artisan Parfumeur Al Oudh, Diptyque Tam Dao - all from samples, but will purchase one or something similar soon - I enjoy wearing woods, too.

My SO is well over 40 - he wears Dior Fahrenheit, L'Instant pour Homme, SL Musc Koublai Khan, SL Fumerie Turque, Joop!, and Tann Roku Aki.

Green Irish Tweed, or Caron Pour Homme. Yum

Mr. firehorse - age 40 smells best in fragrances that have rose: Hammam Bouquet and Lumiere Noire pour Homme.

Other winners for him are Yatagan, and SL's La Myrrhe.

I've gotten him some Hermes colognes in the past, and I've thrown them out, because they turn to cat piss on his skin.

This won't be popular, but here we go:

As a perfume lover, I prefer my man to wear... NOTHING. His own skin scent is so delicious, exhilarating and swoon worthy, I do not want it altered in any way. Which is a good thing, as it turns out, because while he loves to play "name that scent" on me, he is really not keen on wearing any, himself.
    For me, i apply as sparingly as possible, never spray, only dab as minimally as possible.
    I like the smell of skin, first.