Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Creed Alternatives

Hello Basenoters! I have begun to notice that while Creed makes decent frags with outrageous price tags, they all seem to have a similar(usually better) smelling alternative out there for a small fraction of the price. For example, GIT smells very similar to Cool Water or Aspen. What are some other alternatives to the creed line? Just curious. Thanks!

Default Re: Creed Alternatives

Not sure about too many others, actually. Aventus doesn't really seem to have a truly good alternative at this point. Yes, Cool Water & Aspen have a similar smell initially, but both don't even come close to the richness & quality of GIT. Many people say Sean John's Unforgivable & Ed Hardy's Love & Luck smell similar to Millesime Imperial, but as with the GIT/Cool Water comparison, I only get a slightly similar vibe, not a "copy" of the fragrance itself.

Sean John Unforgivable Multi Platinum is the closest Millesime Imperial alternative out there, but with how rare that fragrance is and at the prices that goes for you might as well just get MI.

I've also heard the following, but can't vouch for these myself:
    Original Santal -> Mont Blanc Individuel
    Original Vetiver -> Thierry Mugler Cologne
    Silver Mountain Water -> Al Rahab Silver

Some of the Creeds at least to me are quite unique like Royal English Leather, & Virgin Island Water.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that in the case of GIT it is definitely the better option, plus you can get a large bottle of GIT for a decent price on Amazon. Heres another one for you though: Himalaya smells exactly like XS by Paco Rabanne to me(dont care for either). They dont have to be exact copies, but instead, easily replaceable options in lieu of spending crazy cash on somewhat mediocre fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Some of the Creeds at least to me are quite unique like Royal English Leather, & Virgin Island Water.
    Yep. If anyone finds a decent clone of VIW please let me know ASAP. It is an excellent summer frag.

Post Thanks / Like

You only think they are "decent" and yet you want to copy them? Find something that you love and that you can afford--go for it!

I think all Creeds smell pretty unique. The closest non-Creed to Creed comparison is Cool Water to GIT, with wildly divergent opinions about how close the two smell (I think they're close enough to fool 80% of the public).

After that, the comparisons are harder to make. Luca Turin compares VIW to Bath & Body Works' Coconut Lime Verbena, which I think is pretty silly. Go ahead and smell the two and you'll see what I mean.

MI does smell something like Sean John's Unforgivable Multi Platinum (NOT the original, and vastly different, Unforgivable), to the point where, again, I think it would fool 70% or more of the public. But I love MI and can tell the difference pretty easily.

I gave up trying to find lower cost alternatives to Creed. I just buy the 4oz sizes from reputable discounters like scentiments or fragrancex.com, and am satisfied (although I admit to occasionally buying vintage bottles of MI on Ebay).
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

The opening of Vince Camuto for men is similar to Aventus mixed with a little bit of Royal Oud. I just wish VC had better longevity.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Post Thanks / Like

recently I've ordered Mont Blanc Individuel hoping good similarities with Original Santal.
    And to me GIT smelles differently enough from CW, justifying buying it...

IMO, I think we smell the ingredients, but any avg nose can detect quality, and the feedback I've received backs this up. I had a GIW back in the days, and I used it a lot 3-4 years ago, I didn't know what Cool Water till' I started wearing GIW.

When ever i'm in a social outing, or a night event, rarely I'd always hear people ask "are you wearing cool water?" or comment "your cologne smells familiar" which to me is a signal that they like it, I can tell, because they always follow up with "smells good" or just nod their head. Not that I care if they think its Creed or not, the avg nose can detect quality, whether it comes in the form of "hey are you wearing...?" or a "what are you wearing?". But mostly I've gotten direct compliments.

I never knew what it was, till' a year ago, when I had all these colognes, even CW but none got me even the half the feedback as GIW, finally I nagged my friend to ask his dad where he got the spray from, it turns out that his dad was big on colognes. My point I hope came across clearly, you can certainly get an alternative but the aroma, the overall feel wouldn't be the same, the way it effects the general public isn't the same either.

I would look at quality perfumes at lower prices vs. creed alternative, I think this is a best route. Creed is expensive, and although its worth it, I would look at alternatives. I've just come to discover Tom Ford, and some of they're colognes aren't that expensive imo. There are a fair amount of colognes out there that aren't really expensive and have outstanding quality.
    Last edited by freshvibes; 5th November 2012 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    recently I've ordered Mont Blanc Individuel hoping good similarities with Original Santal.
    Why would you do this?

Oud & Bergamot by Jo Malone is the better version of Aventus

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sillage monster View Post
    Silver Mountain Water -> Al Rahab Silver
    No. No. No. Al Rehab Silver is garbage, pure and simple.

With my perceived 'likeness' on a scale of 10 (when I have tried out the alternatives)

Virgin Island Water - Bath and Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena, Set Sail St.Barts Tommy Bahama (4)
    Green Irish Tweed - Cool Water (7)
    Milisime Imperial - Ed Hardy Love and Luck (8), Sean Jean Unforgivable Multi-Platinum (less, regular Unforgivable(5))
    Original Santal - Mont Blanc Individuel (8), Joop Homme (4)
    Himilaya - Paco Rabanne XS (7)
    Silver Mountain Water - Al Rehab Silver (4)
    Aventus - Jaguar Vision (3), Zara Sprint (3)
    Bois De Portugal - Pierre Cardin (4)
    Original Vetiver - Mugler Cologne (8)

After doing the same "looking for alternatives" exercises, While some are very close to their Creed Counterpart (Love and Luck, Mont Blanc Individuel, Mugler Cologne), I will pony up the little bit more cash and buy a decant of the bottle your looking at. On a marginal basis, there isn't too much of a cost difference, and your never telling yourself "oh well its almost that".
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 5th November 2012 at 06:38 PM.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I can only comment on Original Santal and Mont Blanc Individuel, but on my skin after an hour they are close enough to the point where they are almost indistinguishable. I sprayed each wrist, sampled 12 different people and only one thought they were different.

I like them both, but wouldn't spend the money on the Creed again.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Mont Blanc Individuel and Mugler Cologne versus Original Santal and Original Vetiver are so close that buying the Creed is just not justifiable. Al Rehab Silver is similar to SMW, but a poor imitation.
    Current Top 10:

Dior Homme
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rive Gauche
    Fahrenheit
    New Haarlem
    Jubilation XXV
    Neroli Portofino
    Virgin Island Water
    Green Irish Tweed
    Straight to Heaven

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by galain View Post
    I can only comment on Original Santal and Mont Blanc Individuel, but on my skin after an hour they are close enough to the point where they are almost indistinguishable. I sprayed each wrist, sampled 12 different people and only one thought they were different.

I like them both, but wouldn't spend the money on the Creed again.
    MB Individuel and OS were created by the same perfumer and actually Individuel was created first. To me they are close enough to pass on the OS and just buy Individuel.
    Tom Ford Splits Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Aventus - Jaguar Vision
    OS - MB Individuell
    My astonishing Top 10 fragrances :

1. Hombre by Victorio & Lucchino
    2. Antidote Viktor&Rolf
    3. Pure Havane Thierry Mugler
    4. Ambre Baldessarini
    5. Pure Malt Thierry Mugler
    6. Ultrared Men Paco Rabanne
    7. Jacques Fath pour L`Homme
    8. Silver Scent Jacques Bogart
    9. Chastity Men Rasasi
    10. Blue Sugar Aquolina

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    No. No. No. Al Rehab Silver is garbage, pure and simple.
    Didn't you make a thread awhile back comparing these two? From what I remember it turned into a mess of inaccurate information.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    With my perceived 'likeness' on a scale of 10 (when I have tried out the alternatives)

Virgin Island Water - Bath and Body Works Coconut Lime Verbena, Set Sail St.Barts Tommy Bahama (4)
    Green Irish Tweed - Cool Water (7) Aspen***********
    Milisime Imperial - Ed Hardy Love and Luck (8), Sean Jean Unforgivable Multi-Platinum (less, regular Unforgivable(5))
    Original Santal - Mont Blanc Individuel (8), Joop Homme (4)
    Himilaya - Paco Rabanne XS (7)
    Silver Mountain Water - Al Rehab Silver (4)
    Bois De Portugal - Pierre Cardin (4) Guerlain Heritage********
    Original Vetiver - Mugler Cologne (8)

Royal English Leather *******Knize 10

After doing the same "looking for alternatives" exercises, While some are very close to their Creed Counterpart (Love and Luck, Mont Blanc Individuel, Mugler Cologne), I will pony up the little bit more cash and buy a decant of the bottle your looking at. On a marginal basis, there isn't too much of a cost difference, and your never telling yourself "oh well its almost that".
    Pretty spot on and I added a few********
    Cant say that anything compares to Aventus, though I have not tried the Jaguar.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

Other than the usual comparisons, I'd say most are unique. Even the "obvious" ones are subpar IMO. I think GIT is much better than Cool Water,etc.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

You wish to smell of Creed but wouldn't pay Creed prices? Here's a thought: befriend Creed fans & mooch them off.

GIT- Try Kiton Man (Available at Nordstroms).

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    MB Individuel and OS were created by the same perfumer and actually Individuel was created first. To me they are close enough to pass on the OS and just buy Individuel.
    I'm really getting curious about the individuel alternative to OS, how is the quality of ingredients? as long as the ingredients are refined and project well, I'll just do a blind buy on it just to get it. I don't think I'd disappointed, and it's really affordable, just need to know if the quality is all that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    GIT- Try Kiton Man (Available at Nordstroms).
    strongly disagree!

imo only Creed is similar to Creed and...no! I don't work for Creed!

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not going to get into the X (Creed clone) smells like Y (Creed) comparisons... But since you mentioned alternatives to Creed... How about the numerous other houses including the vintage designer houses that IMO make superior smelling fragrances? They may not smell like Creed, but in my book that is just fine.

Just for the record, I own and enjoy a couple Creeds and like the house, but I encourage folks to seek some of the other stuff out there as a lot of houses are making (and have made) some great scents near entirely under the radar of many. Some of the vintage stuff in general won't ever be replicated due to the regulations nowadays... Get them while you can, says I.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by freshvibes View Post
    I'm really getting curious about the individuel alternative to OS, how is the quality of ingredients? as long as the ingredients are refined and project well, I'll just do a blind buy on it just to get it. I don't think I'd disappointed, and it's really affordable, just need to know if the quality is all that.
    I really can't speak to the quality of the ingredients but I set out determined to do a random sampling and held my wrists under the noses of neighbours, my students and my friends. At the hour mark, which is when I went hunting for people, only one person asked me if they were different. Everyone else thought I'd just sprayed both wrists with the same scent.

I don't really get this with GIT for example, and Aventus seems to smell like nothing else, but OS and the Mont Blanc could as well be twins.

Post Thanks / Like

I went and re tried Individuel the other other day - it doesn't smell much like Joop Homme or Original Santal to me.

Anyhow, from a distance, Original Santal is very similar to Joop Homme sprayed on lightly.
    Himalaya and Paco Rabanne XS I can only tell apart if sprayed right next to each other on each hand.
    I own all four.

GIT and Cool Water only smell alike to inexperienced male noses.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I can pretty much tell apart any designer claimed to be the same as a Creed, be that GIT, OS or Himalaya. I just get a whole different stage of different ingredients and quality. I guess it's a curse, because I'd be damn happy if I felt CW was the same as GIT.

I like to compare it to music / sound. If you're mad enough to pay way more for a pair of loudspeakers (or in my case, headphones), you get a radical shift in soundstage, in sound perception and details. I feel I bump into the same "problem" if you will, with fragrances. I get "more" from the more expensive niche houses. Some do not, just like they don't get obscurely expensive headphones or speakers - and I salute those people. Be glad, save your money and live life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    I can pretty much tell apart any designer claimed to be the same as a Creed, be that GIT, OS or Himalaya. I just get a whole different stage of different ingredients and quality. I guess it's a curse, because I'd be damn happy if I felt CW was the same as GIT.

I like to compare it to music / sound. If you're mad enough to pay way more for a pair of loudspeakers (or in my case, headphones), you get a radical shift in soundstage, in sound perception and details. I feel I bump into the same "problem" if you will, with fragrances. I get "more" from the more expensive niche houses. Some do not, just like they don't get obscurely expensive headphones or speakers - and I salute those people. Be glad, save your money and live life
    right!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FullCollapse View Post
    Hello Basenoters! I have begun to notice that while Creed makes decent frags with outrageous price tags, they all seem to have a similar(usually better) smelling alternative out there for a small fraction of the price. For example, GIT smells very similar to Cool Water or Aspen. What are some other alternatives to the creed line? Just curious. Thanks!

You go to your church, I go to mine bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    strongly disagree!

imo only Creed is similar to Creed and...no! I don't work for Creed!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take the non-Creed fragrances in a heartbeat - all of them are much better, in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW! This thread has become ridiculous quickly. The purpose was to suggest better frags that can replace Creed in your wardrobe, not to imply that Creed is a terrible house and everything they make is garbage. I personally own Aventus and GIT and think they are outstanding frags that could not be replaced by anything else. GIT is light years ahead of Cool Water and I would never suggest that Cool Water could replace GIT ever. However, there are definite strong similarities. As for one BN member, whose post was deleted(you know who you are), I guess your post was deleted because of YOUR insulting tone. How can you consider it insulting when someone else disagrees with your point of view? You want to talk about self respect, then why dont you show some yourself and not be such a hypocrite by contradicting yourself in your own post. If you dont have anything intelligent to contribute to a thread then politely stay out of it or offer your opinion in a nice respectable way. Apparently Im not the only one with this view about Creed, and I certainly dont expect everyone to share it with me.
    Last edited by FullCollapse; 6th November 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 Love and Luck ~ Millesime Imperial
    Also, Aventus ~ CK Encounter. Not the beautiful pineapple opening , but the ashy drydown.

there is a older gent at work that drives a jaguar, when he comes in I can smell him wearing something to me which is along the likes of aventus. my guess would be he wears a jaguar fragrance, since some have mentioned on here there are similarities in one of them.
    Any opinions I post here about frags only reflect MY PERSONAL TASTE and only my personal preference which could change at any moment.

Post Thanks / Like

It really is interesting how different people's noses work - it shows how were are all different in our sensitivities to different fragrances.

For me, for example, GIT and Cool Water are very different. I don't really like GIT, but I can see how people would. But Cool Water to me is just horrible - I couldn't possibly confuse the two.
    Alan