Code of Conduct

Default Betrothal by Grossmith

Ladies, You definitely don't want to smell like this on your wedding day, or any other day for that matter.
    Indolic and disgusting. A real scrubber. Any woman getting married any time soon should be wearing Antonia by Puredistance, not this rubbish.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Betrothal by Grossmith

Oh dear- sounds dirty ! *LOL* No wonder Kate Middleton didn't want this one.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Funny I smelt this at Roja Dove's and it smelt like an utterly boring, powdery, rosy floral with no distinct character or structure. Even Benji agreed that it smelt very "bla..." LOL! That's the word we both used! I wish it had smelt indolic or disgusting; at least it would have been something interesting even if not pleasant!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Oh dear- sounds dirty ! *LOL* No wonder Kate Middleton didn't want this one.
    And you can bet money she sampled it. I should say if your nose likes Amouage Gold for Men, then you may like Betrothal. It has that cat piss on grandmas rug accord that is just so unattractive.

Basenotes Institution

Oh no, it gets worse.
    ( Benjamin is so sweet Scent and so is Miles ( correct name ? )

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    And you can bet money she sampled it. I should say if your nose likes Amouage Gold for Men, then you may like Betrothal. It has that cat piss on grandmas rug accord that is just so unattractive.
    LOL @ the cat piss! You probably found it indolic because you find Gold unpleasant. Frankly, I don't see what all the fuss about Gold is LOL!

Oh no, it gets worse.
    ( Benjamin is so sweet Scent and so is Miles ( correct name ? )
    Yeah Miles is the other fab SA! The last time I was there, Benji told me that Miles has left Roja and now has left to purse his dream of acting...I'm pretty sure it was Miles that left or it might have been the 3rd fab SA which I don't recall his name now.

Basenotes Institution

Sorry to derail this thread for a moment............Oh what a shame re. Miles. I liked him a lot. He wears Caron Narcisse Blanc like a dream I am told ! I last saw Miles in early March this year.

Interesting re. Amouage Gold - I don't like it either so I probably won't like Bethrothal . However I do LOVE Shel -el- Nessim !

Gross by name and nature?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by dacha View Post
    An unfortunate name !

Quote Originally Posted by dacha View Post
    Now, now

Actually, I met the Grossmiths a few month ago (name-dropping, sorry) - they were both super friendly and chatty. I think the whole story of resurrecting an old, family perfume house is very romantic.
    That said, to be perfectly honest, I don't much care for any of their scents - betrothal especially.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I think the whole story of resurrecting an old, family perfume house is very romantic.
    That said, to be perfectly honest, I don't much care for any of their scents.
    I agree. I wanted to love them, but it was an Eau-de-Cologne like experience. That's just not what I enjoy! I don't know the new one, but am not interested.

I missed the indolic bit, too. I tried it a couple of weeks ago at scentbar and thought it was a pleasant soapy floral. Maybe fun as a bit of camp for a man, but not really straying too far from simple fragrance gender norms. Nothing to upset or ruffle on a wedding day. But then again i love Amouage Gold Man. Powdery-dirty is very appealing.
    jtd

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Now, now

Actually, I met the Grossmiths a few month ago (name-dropping, sorry) - they were both super friendly and chatty. I think the whole story of resurrecting an old, family perfume house is very romantic.
    That said, to be perfectly honest, I don't much care for any of their scents - betrothal especially.
    gandhajala, I am sorry to hear the perfume was not so special.

I am interested in learning more about this company, supposedly founded in London in 1835, the precise time when a "certain dandy" was at the height of his fame and perfumed baths. On the Grossmith Web site there is an article on "historical perfumes," including Rance 1795. Luca Turin has already made comments about the "historical" origins of Rance in his blog.

I'd like to know more about the history of the company. Someday I would like to try their scents.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Sorry to derail this thread for a moment............Oh what a shame re. Miles. I liked him a lot. He wears Caron Narcisse Blanc like a dream I am told ! I last saw Miles in early March this year.

Interesting re. Amouage Gold - I don't like it either so I probably won't like Bethrothal . However I do LOVE Shel -el- Nessim !
    I own a bottle of Shem-el-nessim and think it's fantastic.

The whole line is a line of very classic scents, I think, if you like the old Guerlains, Carons and Patous, you would enjoy one or two of them. To me Betrothal is a bit different, it has compared to the first three a kind of modern, ab bit more easy going touch. Still, it comes from that very classic and elegant angle, like the others. Apart from the price and concentration (I would prefer EdP to parfum here), it's a fantastic scent, full of love and dedication imo.
    Definetely a must-try and probably very much on the female side!

Cheers
    Safran