Code of Conduct

Default Some days, Ebay breaks my heart...

A little melodramatic perhaps to say my heart is broken , but in the past couple of months, I have been very disappointed to see that a US seller ( or two or three ) listing something very wonderful to me anyway, mentions that they will not ship to Italy, Germany and good old well mannered Canada! I hope it's ok for me to post this... if not, please advise! Now, I don't blame the US sellers! they have to do what they have to do....
    I've been reading a few ebay forums today and I see that some sellers are getting hit with more fees, etc., and changes that may not bode well for US sellers to ship Internationally. This stinks! ... and not in a good way. Now I don't buy very much fragrance on ebay, but the odd time something is just too juicy to ignore. The most recent "heartbreaker" for me is/was an auction for vintage Chanel CDR perfume, and it was coming from a seller with great feedback etc. etc. Oh well, thank goodness for TPC and also I see several good sellers here on Basenotes... I guess I'm just venting, but I do hope that the trend doesn't continue in this way, with more difficulties in having items shipped to Canada. I myself never have had problems receiving anything, from anywhere... it often takes a good while, but the items have always arrived. I just put in my order with TPC, so that took the edge off my angst! thanks all for listening to my little rant...

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Some days, Ebay breaks my heart...

There is a good reason for sellers not shipping to Canada-- several in fact:

USPS doesn't allow perfume to go by air. That is because of the flash point. Doesn't matter that air passengers are allowed to carry perfume in their bags; someone has decided that even a 50 ml bottle, mailed, may cause a fire, and so the official policy is that perfumes have to go by ground. Which is a problem because international shipments go by air.

Customs forms have to be filled out accurately; a seller writing "fragrance" on the form would be told by postal employees that it could not be shipped. You may get a friend to fudge the forms for you, but when it's a sale, things have to be done properly. The seller has to be able to insure the item, for one thing, so it has to be described, and value stated at full sale price.

But many buyers get upset at this-- they don't want the seller to state either the contents or the value correctly because they don't want to have to pay duties or risk having the perfume confiscated. Have you read the forums on eBay? Time and again, sellers have posted that a Canadian buyer has given them grief, or even a negative feedback, because the seller wouldn't state a lower value on the customs form. It doesn't occur to them that we have laws in our country that require honest reporting of the contents and value of a package.

Then, too, Canada Post also doesn't want to transport perfume, so sometimes it gets confiscated, and the buyer never gets it. So, then the buyer expects a refund from the seller-- but it is not the seller's fault and they should not be held liable. Yet if the seller can't show PayPal that the buyer received his item, PayPal refunds the buyer, and the seller loses both the item and the money.

One solution is to use UPS or FedEx but there are brokerage fees and buyers don't want to have to pay them.

Really, is it any surprise that sellers don't want to ship to Canada? Italy and Germany both have issues with allowing the importation of perfume, so that is why perfumes aren't sent to those countries. It's not arbitrary on the sellers' part-- they have to look after their own business interests, first and foremost.

This state of affairs is very likely to continue, unless Canada, Italy and Germany welcome the importation of perfumes and the various countries' Postal systems decide perfume is safe to transport by air.

And you know that is not going to happen.

I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of Canadian buyers; I'm just saying, don't blame the sellers who won't ship there.

Yes, I agree with the problem with the postal system! And I don't blame the sellers at all, I understand their plight..
    Hoping Canada .... will come around to some sort of common sense thinking in this "matter" - I don't hold out much hope of that either! And as for the folks who want the sellers to "fudge" the amount for customs, I am furious that those bad apples have managed to rot up the whole bag, so to speak! thank you for the reply...

I think the Germany/Italy thing also has to do with PayPal tracking scams. from what I've read they only show it's been accepted into the country but after that the seller can't see if it was ever delivered or signed for, so scammers pretend it never arrived.

as for Canada, well I understand, but it sucks. Find a friend or Relative you can ship things to in the states and every one in a while get them to send it all over or go and visit.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I refuse to run any transaction thru paypal even from seller also in the US. I was tempted to buy from Labs on Fire the other day until I hit the checkout via paypal. BOOM, done. I have no problem with google checkout but when it comes to paypal, well it's sorta like a bank in a third world country! We get the same problem from this side of the border too!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

True, many have a dreadful history with PayPal. I've been lucky so far, but the horror stories make my hair stand on end.

Let me just repeat for the umphteenth time thast there are no importation issues in Germany regarding perfume in terms of government regulations or customs issues. All you do is pay 19% VAT above a value of around $40. The same applies to Italy in legal terms, though the postal service in parts seems to be unreliable there, one hears.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I think if I do see something again that is too hard to resist! I will have my brother-in-law in Houston to bid/order for me, he's said that he wouldn't mind, and natch, it wouldn't be all that often anyway. He drives up here to visit a couple of times a year, so it would work out. Not as fun as doing it myself, but who cares, if I get the goodies! I think back to when I lived for several years in Southern Ontario, where I was about a five minute walk from the US border - how easy it would have been to have had friends on the US side get stuff for me, or just go and purchase a few things, but... I was wasn't in the market for much fragrance yet, I was way too busy with my toddlers, and the most "exotic" fragrance I bought was a tiny bottle of First by
    Van Cleef & Arpels, and my trusty bottle of Opium. Oh well... time to call the brother-in-law!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Slooooow Basenotes causes occasional double posts..
    Last edited by kbe; 13th May 2011 at 06:15 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post

USPS doesn't allow perfume to go by air. That is because of the flash point. Doesn't matter that air passengers are allowed to carry perfume in their bags; someone has decided that even a 50 ml bottle, mailed, may cause a fire, and so the official policy is that perfumes have to go by ground. Which is a problem because international shipments go by air.
    Another exposure of the schizophrenic rules applied by the airlines and USPS/package delivery services in the US when it comes to fragrance transfer. Unnecessary and badly thought out rules are ignored or broken millions of times weekly by both individuals and businesses and obviously without a hint of a problem from doing so.

No changing things though..it must be a "George Armstrong Custer-like" ruling--no matter how bad it looks after the fact, to eliminate it would mean admitting to making a mistake. And worse, losing face.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell