Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1

    Default Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I recently picked up a bottle of Fahrenheit at the drug store to have a sniff, and realized that the rumours (facts?) of it being reformulated are very true. Fahrenheit was my very first full-bottle purchase (when I was 17).

    I read this morning in Turin's book that the synthetic violet leaf that was used in Fahrenheit has since been deemed unsafe to use in cosmetics...hence the reformulation.

    I also noticed that the cap on the bottle has changed (see pic - bottles on right). This is the cap I remember (pic). Is this the best way to know if you have the original formulation? Or was the cap changed after it was reformulated?

    Much appreciated.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Hi, I have the bottle with a cap in the single pic. I guess it's the original version, but I bought it last year from the internet. I also have a mini, bought in 1998, which is stronger and longer lasting than this new one. I had, for some time, thought that they had reformulated it.

    By the way, I prefer the new cap :-)
    Current Top 5

    1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

  3. #3

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    This explains why I liked it more when I sampled it a week ago.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Interesting. When I first smelled F when it was released it was the most profound fragrance experience in my life and I wore nothing but F for several years. When I retried it some time ago I was appaled by how bad this stuff smells. I thought that my tastes have changed but it's also possible, that the juice is not the same anymore.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Interesting. When I first smelled F when it was released it was the most profound fragrance experience in my life and I wore nothing but F for several years. When I retried it some time ago I was appaled by how bad this stuff smells. I thought that my tastes have changed but it's also possible, that the juice is not the same anymore.
    Its probably because its changed...not you. I guess my only hope of finding something close to the original is to go to the dusty perfume shops and see what box looks the crummiest!

    Reformulations really annoy me...its sort of insulting for these companies to think that the consumer won't notice. I understand that sometimes it has to be done, but most of these companies completely deny that anything's ever changed. I think they should append numbers to the end of the name...Fahrenheit 2.0 sort of thing.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I'm getting very worried. Fahrenheit has been a constant in my wardrobe since the early 90's. For my selfish sake I hope the reformulation rumours are not true...but who knows?! I'll have to check tomorrow to get the one with the old cap before it disappears. (Thanks for the pics to compare.)

  7. #7

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I recently sold off my original formulation bottle.... aah I miss it now!


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  8. #8

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    So I went to a discount perfume store (discount my ass...but that's another story).

    They had some old 1.7oz. bottles, a few were in the standard red & black box, but the others were blue instead of black. Has anyone come across these? I wasn't sure which would be older (or even real for that matter).

    Either way, guy was trying to rip me off, so I left. He wanted $60.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    If anyone's interested, I have a Fahrenheit bottle which is about 97%-98% full. I've only sprayed it on myself 2-3 times. I don't understand what possessed me to buy this scent, and can't imagine anybody else liking it lol.

    I'm willing to sell it if anybody wants it. I'm in Sydney, Australia. Oh, and it's 50mL. PM me if your interested :-)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    That was a helpful contribution, thanks.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I dragged this older thread out to remark on the reformulation. I don't think the different caps indicate pre or post reformulation. I have a small bottle with the "old" cap that is definitely not the old juice. The only way to tell, by testing.

    Today I wore what I know to be old (had it for years) on one arm and what I suspect is new (bought online of course) on the other. The first impression is the strength and sillage of the newer mix is weaker than the original. And that outrageous ozonic violet note is not as as front and center on the newer mix. But the real difference is the dry down.

    The old version was unmistakable from top down and even six hours later, the violet note was still going strong. This new mix dries down to something less than remarkable. In fact, it smells a bit cloying cheap. Definitely not worthy of the Dior name.

    This reformulation nonsense is the olfactory equivalent of the PC rush to the lowest common denominator. The EC could have just required full disclosure of the possible allergens on the box and left it at that. Sure, some of the reformulations will be less disappointing than others - it's a matter of degrees - but in the meantime, buy up enough supply of your current favorites to last your lifetime.

    I never imagined that Fahrenheit would become the next Patou Pour Homme.

    Griff

  12. #12

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    The old version was unmistakable from top down and even six hours later, the violet note was still going strong. This new mix dries down to something less than remarkable. In fact, it smells a bit cloying cheap. Definitely not worthy of the Dior name.

    This reformulation nonsense is the olfactory equivalent of the PC rush to the lowest common denominator. The EC could have just required full disclosure of the possible allergens on the box and left it at that. Sure, some of the reformulations will be less disappointing than others - it's a matter of degrees - but in the meantime, buy up enough supply of your current favorites to last your lifetime.

    I never imagined that Fahrenheit would become the next Patou Pour Homme.

    Griff
    "Fahrenheit should now be renamed after another temperature scale, maybe Réaumur or Rankine, because it is unrecognizable. ...Acetilenic esters have now been severely restricted. Triple bonds smell wonderful but are chemically reactive..." Perfumes, The Guide, p168 f.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Thanks Narcus,

    "The came for the acetilenic esters, and I said nothing.

    They came for the damascones, and still I said nothing.

    Then they came for the lactones, the ionones, and all the rest, no one cared because great fragrances were by then a dim memory slowly dying in dull miasma of the ubiquitous clean/fresh/sport cloud."

    Anyone got some old Fahrenheit they don't need?

    Griff

  14. #14

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    You really should post more often, and share your knowledge, Griff!
    Fahrenheit is one of the few perfumes, I had never even sniffed at until last year. Everybody was on his own selecting fragrances when I was young. I guess I never liked the looks of it. I visited with one of my sisters last year, and she wore it and it appealed to me immediately. When leaving, she gave me her bottle. For him who never knew how F used to be, Fahrenheit has been the biggest fragrant surprise in 2008! I still don't like the shape and color of the bottle.
    Last edited by narcus; 5th February 2009 at 04:29 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  15. #15

    Smile Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I dragged this older thread out to remark on the reformulation. I don't think the different caps indicate pre or post reformulation. I have a small bottle with the "old" cap that is definitely not the old juice. The only way to tell, by testing.

    Today I wore what I know to be old (had it for years) on one arm and what I suspect is new (bought online of course) on the other. The first impression is the strength and sillage of the newer mix is weaker than the original. And that outrageous ozonic violet note is not as as front and center on the newer mix. But the real difference is the dry down.

    The old version was unmistakable from top down and even six hours later, the violet note was still going strong. This new mix dries down to something less than remarkable. In fact, it smells a bit cloying cheap. Definitely not worthy of the Dior name.

    This reformulation nonsense is the olfactory equivalent of the PC rush to the lowest common denominator. The EC could have just required full disclosure of the possible allergens on the box and left it at that. Sure, some of the reformulations will be less disappointing than others - it's a matter of degrees - but in the meantime, buy up enough supply of your current favorites to last your lifetime.

    I never imagined that Fahrenheit would become the next Patou Pour Homme.

    Griff
    Hi Griff, have you noticed the 4 digits characters on the lable of the bottom of the obttle? maybe it tells if this bottle of fahrenheit is new or old version I think. I used it for years and bought one 6.8oz bottle and was surprise it has almost no gasoline note and the base note is really weak like you said. I check the 4 digits of this new one and it's 9Y03, but my previous one that has stronger notes is 8Z02. can anyone explain what this 4 digits characters mean? thanks.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I still see the old Fahrenheit bottles (this box here at Walgreen's and Rite-Aid. I think I'll have to sweep one up because I like Fahrenheit and would like to know the original.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    All I know of Fahrenheit is the tester I sprayed at a department store last year, and it was the most bracingly peppery, smoky, tarry thing my nose had ever experienced in a perfume bottle. I was gobsmacked. If the current Fahrenheit is a weak, reformulated version, I can't even imagine what the original smelled like.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I have a bottle i bought @ Macy's in 2005 or 2006, and it smells like it always has in the past.. actually a little weaker than I previously remember in the years before, like 1998ish.. I'm sure it was reformulated between that time and when I bought it. Anyways, I almost purchased a 1.7 oz bottle @ Target the other day which has a decent retail price of 40 bucks for a 1.7 oz. I may buy it soon, then compare them side by side. I really hope it wasn't reformulated with noticeable differences, I don't wanna have to search on fleabay for discontinued formula of my favorite fragrance ever at outrageous prices.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I have a bottle i bought @ Macy's in 2005 or 2006, and it smells like it always has in the past.. actually a little weaker than I previously remember in the years before, like 1998ish.. I'm sure it was reformulated between that time and when I bought it. Anyways, I almost purchased a 1.7 oz bottle @ Target the other day which has a decent retail price of 40 bucks for a 1.7 oz. I may buy it soon, then compare them side by side. I really hope it wasn't reformulated with noticeable differences, I don't wanna have to search on fleabay for discontinued formula of my favorite fragrance ever at outrageous prices.

    O please tell us the result when you got your bottle at Target, I would like to get some if it's still the stronger version than the current ones. I don't mind if it's a 1.7oz or 3.4 oz as long as it's not the current version. The current one is soooooooo weak and mild. I am looking forward to hearing from your result haha. Thanks.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by fyba View Post
    O please tell us the result when you got your bottle at Target, I would like to get some if it's still the stronger version than the current ones. I don't mind if it's a 1.7oz or 3.4 oz as long as it's not the current version. The current one is soooooooo weak and mild. I am looking forward to hearing from your result haha. Thanks.
    My current one does have the number ending in 02 at the bottom as you stated. I'm not sure if and when I may buy a new one since I have so many other fragrances in rotation that I wear, I haven't been wearing Fahrenheit lately, but it will always have a spot in my collection.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    My current one does have the number ending in 02 at the bottom as you stated. I'm not sure if and when I may buy a new one since I have so many other fragrances in rotation that I wear, I haven't been wearing Fahrenheit lately, but it will always have a spot in my collection.
    one of my previous bottle says 8X03 at its bottom. it still has more depth than my last one I got days ago. does anyone can read what this 4 digits mean?
    Last edited by fyba; 28th June 2010 at 09:21 AM.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by fyba View Post
    one of my previous bottle says 8X03 at its bottom. it still has more depth than my last one I got days ago. does anyone can read what this 4 digits mean?
    Well mine does say 02, but I bought it in 05 or 06, so I don't think it's a reflection of the date it was made, because the difference between the time when it would have been made and the time I bought it would have been 3 or 4 years. Even though fragrances are said not to expire, for business purposes.. places like Macy's and Dillard's and other department stores frequently send unbought frags back to the distributor or they sell them off to companies like TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, or even drugstores. I used to work at Macy's at the fragrance counter, and recall them cutting out the fragrances every so often.

    The code on the bottom may just be the serial number. Mine says 5K02.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I think there's a way to help us buying some old fahrenheits, that if anyone of us can find the serial numbers' list that dior manufactured before, or if all of us using fahrenheit that bought years ago reply us our own serial number. then we can collect these no. as a list to check with the new one that we gonna to purchase. how do you think my idea?

  24. #24

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I compared an older tester bottle (with the old-style cap and "eau de toilette" printed on the bottle) at a department store today with the newest version (straight cap, without "eau de toilette" on the bottle). To my nose they're exactly the same fragrance, but the new version does seem a bit less intense, especially in the first five minutes. The drydowns are basically identical and smell equally great. The older tester is probably from the early-2000s, though, so I have no idea how either of these stack up to the original '80s version. (My guess is, not well.)

  25. #25

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I've got a new bottle. It's still as strong as hell and smells like it always did to me. It can't be that different, surely?

    I'm not sure I go along with all this legendary original formula stuff. When a new, distinctive scent comes on the market (and it's a hit) the impact is obviously greater at the beginning. Any news of a reformulation will invite distrust and suspicion of a watering down.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    I recently sold off my original formulation bottle.... aah I miss it now!
    i did too! i bought mine the year it came out. we had a brand new mall, and filenes had all the hot colognes... and soon so did i! the guy i sold mine to was looking for the magical scent he remembered, but didnt find it in my original formula. it smelled exactly the same to me as it did when i first got it. i wonder about reformulations- could there be a second or third reformulation that he was remembering as smelling so much better?

  27. #27

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I am somewhat intrigued, as I quite enjoy the current formulation of Fahrenheit.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    If you enjoy the current formula, I really wouldn't pound the pavement day and night tracking down an older bottle. If you happen to see one on eBay or a specialty shop somewhere, go for it if you want, but I maintain it's not essential to enjoying what Fahrenheit has to offer. The old stuff is thicker and growlier, but I truly feel the heart of the fragrance has been maintained through subsequent reformulations. I wear both "old" and "new" Fahrenheit with pride.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Yeah, my brother used to wear it years ago, when I sampled it last night, it smelled a lot different. I don't care for it at all now.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Anyone in the UK selling their Fahrenheits...? Irrespective of whether it's old or new...? PM me please...
    I have a bottle of the new stuff but I just think it must be a knock-off as I had heard all this legendary stuff about it's silage and projectivity yet my bottle lasts a few hours...then nothing... It does have a serial number on the bottom (7E04) which was also imprinted on the base of the box but SURELY it can't be this much of a pussycat?

  31. #31

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    The modern fomulation lasts hours and smells fantastic

  32. #32

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    don't mean to hj the thread...
    i recently got 100ml & 200ml "splash" bottles of Fahrenheit EdT on eBay but wonder because i've never seen such bottles. top notes have less petroleum notes than my atomized bottle, and smell more similar to the "mini" bottle. all the "splash" bottles smell similar enough but seems different from the spray bottle.

    has anyone seen these bottles before?? can someone please confirm authenticity? any help/details would be greatly appreciated. serial numbers on bottom stickers match those stamped on base of the glass bottles itself.. bottles, at least, look authentic.

    tia ~


    Last edited by blacklit; 15th April 2011 at 12:05 AM.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    ive heard of but never seen splash bottles for this

  34. #34

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by fyba View Post
    one of my previous bottle says 8X03 at its bottom. it still has more depth than my last one I got days ago. does anyone can read what this 4 digits mean?
    I'm pretty sure that the first digit of this serial number indicates the year of production. I have various bottles of Fahrenheit here and the first digit always matches the year when I purchased that particular bottle. For example:

    4M01 = bought in 2004
    7G05 = bought in 2007
    0W03* = bought in 2010*

    * In 2010, they seemed to start with 0 again. It also seems that before the year 2000, they used five digit numbers. I found a picture here on basenotes with a serial number 9259F, which seems to indicate a 1992 production.

    I even have a bottle of Fahrenheit Summer from 2006 with serial number 6D01, so I think it's safe to assume that the first or first two digits represent the year of production.
    Last edited by osoblanco; 20th April 2011 at 07:27 PM.

  35. #35
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,905

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I probably wouldn't even know the difference if I were presented with the "reformulation." I guess I am lucky I have the original.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by osoblanco View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the first digit of this serial number indicates the year of production. I have various bottles of Fahrenheit here and the first digit always matches the year when I purchased that particular bottle. For example:

    4M01 = bought in 2004
    7G05 = bought in 2007
    0W03* = bought in 2010*

    * In 2010, they seemed to start with 0 again. It also seems that before the year 2000, they used five digit numbers. I found a picture here on basenotes with a serial number 9259F, which seems to indicate a 1992 production.

    I even have a bottle of Fahrenheit Summer from 2006 with serial number 6D01, so I think it's safe to assume that the first or first two digits represent the year of production.
    that would make it easy for all of us but it's inconsistent with the bottles i have.

    0365Y = vintage splash 3.4 (unlikely released in 2003)
    7924F = vintage spray 3.4 (released in 1979 : )

  37. #37

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    hmmm some of you are roasting Fahrenheit pretty bad in here. In my opinion, even the new formulation is top notch. Great stuff and incredibly unique. 10/10 from me

  38. #38

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I don't have an answer for blacklit's splash v. spray problem but I just wanted to say that, while I'm not a Fahrenheit fan, those bottles still look absolutely fantastic, even after all of these years.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by blacklit View Post
    that would make it easy for all of us but it's inconsistent with the bottles i have.

    0365Y = vintage splash 3.4 (unlikely released in 2003)
    7924F = vintage spray 3.4 (released in 1979 : )
    Hmmm ... I received a bottle of Fahrenheit 0 Degré today, serial number 2L01 ... which makes perfect sense!

    Maybe they used a different system on the vintage stuff, I don't know ... but I don't think that the serial numbers of my bottles matching the year of production in every instance is a coincidence!

  40. #40
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    The original version was fantastic. The current version is not worth purchasing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  41. #41

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by john916 View Post
    hmmm some of you are roasting Fahrenheit pretty bad in here. In my opinion, even the new formulation is top notch. Great stuff and incredibly unique. 10/10 from me
    You are absolutely right, it's still the best fragrance out there!

    I can't compare old vs. new because I don't have any old Fahrenheit anymore ... but I find the content of my latest bottle not as lasting as the old stuff. I mean, it's pretty strong when you have just sprayed it on your skin, so that I fear that everyone in the bus I'm taking to the office must notice it. But it's disappearing not long after that ... when I'm in the office, it's almost completely gone!

  42. #42

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Fahrenheit and F aqua are launched and relaunched and i fign the veryy current Fahrenheit formulation
    becoming like Fahreneit 32... little powdery. The gazoline effect is gone and it is more watery then the previouse reformulation of 2008. It smelles now like a flanker of it self ( the first self )

  43. #43

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Well, I had the chance to try a friend's years-old bottle of 'vintage' Fahrenheit today. Very interesting to compare it with my current formulation.

    The first thing I noticed is it's slightly more bracing on first spray... just a bit louder, astringent and more arresting. Then it settles down and smells (to my nose, anyway) like the current formulation for another half hour or so. However, after that there is a noticeable difference in the violet leaf note; it is fuller and slightly sweeter (more Parma violets). That surprised me.

    I still think the modern formulation is fabulous and well worth getting: and ultimately not that different from the old version. It's pointless hankering after the old one in the end.

  44. #44

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Just acquired an old 3.4 ounce one from a friend's elder relative. Mine is the old style bottle and the serial number is either AB1 or A31. There is also what I think is a bottle identification number of 23 (the 3 is small and it's possible it's something else). In the picture in post #32, the label on the bottom is similar to the middle large bottle. My friend thinks it's a very early version. Any ideas? I haven't tried it yet.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I've got both "versions" and new Fahrenheit is far better than old one. Little bit less offensive and bit modern. Main aroma looks the same. Still wonderfull scent. One of the best scents ever made.
    Many people love the vintage scents, remember them behave in the past, did not realize that 10, 20 years ago, their skin reacted differently to these fragrances The same smell on our skin will smell different after several years. We getting old, and our skin as well. We remember the smells as more beautiful, because usually they add color to the memories. So let's not in extremes, or else go mad.
    You like Fahrenheit or not. Without adding philosophy to that

  46. #46

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    I have never smelled the old stuff but have a 30ml of the new and it smells damn good. Better than a lot of expensive fragrances, it hits all the right notes in frag: It projects, it has great longevity, its floral and leathery, masculine and last but not least it has that oil accord which is not for everyone but I love it.

  47. #47

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    The older formula is better, but the newer formula is lighter and easier to wear. If I found a bottle of the original I would only use it as a reference.

  48. #48
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Fahrenheit Reformulation (help please)

    Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    Fahrenheit and F aqua are launched and relaunched and i fign the veryy current Fahrenheit formulation
    becoming like Fahreneit 32... little powdery. The gazoline effect is gone and it is more watery then the previouse reformulation of 2008. It smelles now like a flanker of it self ( the first self )
    So true - it's more like Fahrenheit Light or Fahrenheit Sport.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •