Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Breaking away from your comfort zone

I am having a hard time breaking away from using my favorite notes. I keep making perfumes that have a few of the same ingredients. I am obsessed with Labdanum and Frankincense. EVERYTHING I make has these 2 ingredients. EVERYTHING! How do I move away from these successfully when I simply adore the synergy these two have? Help!
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Default Re: Breaking away from your comfort zone

I can see your problem. I suggest various combos of Vanilla, Oakmoss, Benzoin, Peru Balsam, Styrax, Galbanum and Vetiver as alternatives. But I do know what you mean. Those two are killer.

Why not try our filles challenge? It really is shaking me out of my comfort zone. Pine is difficult to make into something that doesn't smell like a cleaning product. I have made some marvellous smells that would be most excellent... for furniture polish......

I'm no expert, but here is my pennysworth...

Here is my friends wedding perfume:-
    Sweet orange, nutmeg, Thai Jasmine, benzoin, hint of vanilla, Ambergris, Thai Sandalwood, sandalwood spicatum.
    It wasn't as sweet as it looks as if it would be. I used my dryer, best versions of each sweet thing.

Here is a trad cologne I found. I haven't made it.
    Bergamot 27, Sicilian lemon 20, sweet orange 16, neroli 12, french lavender 6, spanish rosemary 4, white thyme 1, clove bud 1, petitgrain 3, clary sage 2, siam benzoin 1

I did the perfumers apprentice woodsy accord but it does have frankie in there. It came out very nicely balanced like a nice gentlemans cologne.
    2 cedarwood, 3 frank, 3 clementine, 2 scotch pine, 1 ginger, 1 petitgrain, 2 cypress, 2 bitter orange, 2 white grapefruit, 2 bergamot.

I did the floral 2 accord from PA, but it was a jasmine bomb. Someone suggested that vetiver & nutmeg were a good marriage but I wasn't sure I liked it.

What could be instead of Labdanum....? Maybe carrot seed, sandalwood, oud, patchouli, spikenard, costus, vetiver, angelica root.... Then for Frankincense, maybe black pepper, nutmeg, clove, coriander, in fact any spices, myrhh, ambergris.

I am currently obsessing with a new tobacco abs I have just bought. It is the best smell.... all on it's own. For a base accord I'm trying the heavier Vetivers, a dot of patchouli with some benzoin or vanilla, then a microdot of tobacco flower.

I'm making one with Tobacco flower, a hint of oud, and some angelica root but I don't know where to take that yet. It needs a top solo and the rest of the band.

Please post what you find works. I'm as curious as you......

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    I am having a hard time breaking away from using my favorite notes. I keep making perfumes that have a few of the same ingredients. I am obsessed with Labdanum and Frankincense. EVERYTHING I make has these 2 ingredients. EVERYTHING! How do I move away from these successfully when I simply adore the synergy these two have? Help!
    I wouldn't recommend anything forced. In my experience, when there is a rut, the best thing to do is to find something else that excites you. Maybe try to find some other notes that go exceptionally well together? Make the challenge fun. When you have enough in your vocabulary I'm sure the rest will be up to you to decide. I don't think there is anything wrong with putting frankincense and labdanum to everything. Tauer seems to be doing something similar with his perfumes and apparently he is doing well.

I always make it a point to introduce a few new items into my pallet every month, keeps the creative juices flowing. From experience Guaic and
    tonka are nice bases, also some time ago I found that fossilized amber oil is unique (eden botanical type).

and also more recently I've been on a bit of an ouhd kick (finding what works for me)
    and as Mumsy has suggested the Fille project has had positive effects on branching out and has even introduced me to Vetiver which I'm slowly but surely coming around to, although I think patchouli will need more convincing as I stereotype it to hippies and have tried to avoid it as mucha s possible

How about taking 'a thought' for a walk.

Think yourself through a place, or a garden, or maybe a breezy walk by the sea, or even something completely crazy like a sweetie shop. What would all the smells be, that were there? I did some of these thought story perfumes last year just for an exercise. Make them without judging the final result as a perfume to wear. They are surprisingly hard to get right and throw up some interesting combinations.

I keep adding oakmoss and vetiver to everything I make, but thankfully I'm not bored of them yet.

What if you tried making a perfume for a friend that has completely different tastes than your own when it comes to smell? Maybe it would give you some new ideas.