Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: What makes a scent "college" or "for college"?

I want to thank all you guys for your very thoughtful turning over of my question. I also want to thank Surfacing for his kind words!
    Best, everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    DustB, thanks for such a well written post above, I know I certainly appreciate that. Reading and thinking on Basenotes...what a nice concept !
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

fountain

interesting thread, this

Quote Originally Posted by fountain View Post
    interesting thread, this
    I agree. One of the best I've ever read on BN. Thank you DustB for opening it - and mr. reasonable, Bokchoy, cello, Emlynevermore, and others for your really insightful thoughts.

If I were looking for a college fragrance today, I'd want something that's more unique, versatile, and cost-effective. But there isn't one genre. I just graduated two years ago, and my go-to going out bottle throughout college was Fahrenheit, an 80's classic that was a huge compliment/girl-getter in the mid to late 2000's. Many different choices available.

I like this thread and when we are done discussing it here I might move it to the just starting out forums and sticky it. I think it might be a nice read for the people and to see the reasoning of veterans.

For me in college I wanted something that was easy to get, affordable and that suited my personality while also not being too terrible to others. I think I wore Angel Innocense a lot and Lolita Lempicka L. They were easy to find, but not worn all over the place and I like how they smelled and no one died around me or made choking noises.

I think for men I would recommend to check out some of the older Chanels and Diors, even if they are reformulations they are pretty good and if you dont go for the 'just released' ones not everyone in your class will be wearing the same thing.

If you want something a bit more interesting you can check out Caron, you can find very good deals on Third Man and I adore Third Man so I always recommend it because not enough guys are wearing it.

Don't forget that there are places online where you can order samples so you can try out a few classics to see if there are a few bottle worthy or if you want to order larger decants. You can for instance buy a full bottle of a scent you imagine to wear every day and a decant of a few scents for special occasions.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.
    Currently wearing: L by Lolita Lempicka

i think it's a fair question. college has a very dynamic environment and it involves no only interacting with people but also being seated next to so many other students. in such scenario i cannot think of wearing a Black Oudh or a Noir Patchouli or Gentleman; unless ofcourse if i dont really care about the comfort of others.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Not so much a college fragrance, but one that is more accepted by college aged peers. That's what I'd think and go for.
    There's usually a substantial population, at least at State universities, of students who could hardly care less what's popular on Frat/Sorority Row (to use a stereotyped example.) When I was an undergrad, there was an unfortunate tendency for certain students to bathe in Polo, so perhaps we can be forgiven

Still, a 17-22-year-old guy likely isn't all that familiar with what's out there or he wouldn't be asking here. I'd assume he'd probably prefer to start with something that isn't too insanely expensive for his budget (Creed, Amouage, Heeley, and the like), too wierd (Secretions Magnifiques, half the BPAL, Demeter, and CdG libraries), or too easy to overspray (Would YOU want to be stuck sitting next to the guy who applied 12 sprays of Grey Flannel or Fracas?)

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    I'm not going to wear something that smells like an "old man" to my peers. In general that's not a good comment, IMO and experience.
    What's "old man" to your crowd might be "retro" or "classic" to others ... or so unfamiliar that the age classification doesn't come up.

Here's my take... as someone who teaches at a college (but once, in the dim and distant past, also went to college).
    The concept "college" IMO represents a rite of passage. A person is leaving familiar environment (home, friends) and may be traveling to a different place to embark on a new venture. Any rite of passage involves re-inventing the "self" -- the identity, the sense of who one is. It is a time of new beginnings and a time of laying aside previous identities.
    The quest for a "signature scent" to mark this ROP is a way to make tangible/sensory the change in identity. "this is the [new] me... I smell different."
    That's my take on the situation. :-)
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

My college scent was Fahrenheit. Did it get me girls? No, but Fahrenheit, daily pushups, an affable personality, and copious amounts of vodka often (okay, okay - sometimes) did.
    Last edited by adonis; 17th May 2011 at 02:02 AM.

I've worn Ambre Narguile, Virgin Island Water, Millesime Imperial, By Man, Back to Black, L'instant de Guerlain Extreme, Mure et Musc Extreme, Rose 31, Tilda Swinton Like This, and about 30 other fragrances to college at one time or another. I'll wear anything. I don't wear any fragrances that are polarizing, so I don't think about it really. I just wear whatever.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Interesting thread...

Maybe it's just a way of calling to other college students to answer the question or advise the OP?

I wonder if the folk who do say it on here, say it with everything they do

"I'm at college, could I have a regular latte please?"

"I'm at college, could I have a bus ticket into town please?"

"I'm at college, have you got the latest GQ please?"

I was at college, and never felt the urge to tell people that I was, when asking questions or for advice on anything...
    LOST! in scent and music

Such a great post! This has to be My first post. This "classification" concept is the exact reason I started searching to cure my ignorance about fragrances. I am by no means new to colognes but I'm pretty ignorant to what is out there, but I'm learning.

I'm way past the college age, though most people say I look like I am still in college. I've always kept up with what was going on around me and knew what was always trendy. How to classify what is college, trendy, "old man", classic, etc...how do you do that? What is trendy is not necessarily what is current (AdG for example), but what is current may not be trendy either. When I was in college I wore the current popular colognes and didn't stray that far from the norm. Growing older I still wore the current frag's but started to find what I liked an didn't like. I learned that I didn't want to smell like everyone else, but I also didn't want to alienate myself with a fragrance that had fallen out of favor like the original Polo or Drakkar. I also didn't wear anything like AdG due to it being WAY too trendy.

Would any of you, college or otherwise, wear Drakkar today? The association of Drakkar and who wears it, from what I hear, is not something that is favorable here in the US, but this might just be my ignorance showing also. This has to be one of the best scents I have ever worn, but I will not touch it now. My current "every day" scent has been Kenneth Cole Black for quite a while now. It smells spectacular on me (IMO) and I've always got a ton of compliments. THAT is #2 reason I wear it. #1 reason is that I like it. Probably #3 is because it lasts forever on me too.

From a noob prospective, the association of college will always be the current, trendy scent. That is the reason you smell Acqua di Gio all over the place even to this day. The association of that scent for me is "college, trendy, frat house". I will not wear it simply for that reason. All of my knowledge and choices have been due to their association up to this point. Only recently have I got into others like Creed GIT and Penhaligon's BB and my eyes have opened up some. I still find it hard to believe that anyone would splash on some Brut or Old Spice though. To me, the association of those scents are just simply cheap and old. Please, I do not mean to offend in any way, if people wear those. I am ignorant and trying to learn.

With all that being said, how many of you would suggest a 20 something to pick up a bottle of Drakkar and try it? How many of you that ARE 20 somethings that actually wear it on a regular basis? Would you wear Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet to college?

Am I way off base here?

I think the main thing I think when I hear "college" is "I will be wearing this 24 hours a day." My first real perfume back in High School was Light Blue. Now I think its boring and never wear it but back then when it never changed it never bothered me or got old and got alot of compliments from boys. Even at 26 I still man test the perfume! So you need something that will not dry down stinky or weird if combined with sweat or heat or cold, a totally all the time thing. For a girl, trendy now, I think Bright Crystal at Nordstroms Rack on sale 50ml $35. I get loads of compliments when I go dancing at gay clubs, mixes with sweat in a truly hypnotic way. Perfect for college!

:edit: Also I would think college kids might have trouble buying online or getting hard to find scents. Something that can be purchased locally with cash without much travel. ie Sephora, Ross, Marshalls.

ysl la nuit dlomme did me justice in college

~my first post on here~
    When I hear someone say 'I'm in college I need clothes' or 'I'm in college recommend to me a cologne' I think that several things are implied here they are:
    1. I need something that can stand up to my busy day, most college students go to class, work, hang out, go on dates, and all of that Jazz.
    2. I need something that's budget friendly,most college students may not have much money left to spend so they want something a little easier on the wallet.
    3. I need something that other people won't be easily bothered by in closed off spaces like a classroom, dorm, or lecture hall.

Yeah, something that won't annoy people is important.

Something modern too.

As a rule, though there are exceptions, the college crowd are concerned with trendiness and "fitting in." A certain amount of conformity is expected, and mavericks are not considered "cool."

For instance, a young woman who favours Shalimar or a young man wearing Habit Rouge would not be perceived as "with it."
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

As a college student myself. I neither want to wear some teen fruity scent like Taylor Swift's Wonderstruck but I would neither want to smell too mature.
    I think a college guy is just looking to grow up just a little. High school guys nowadays wear axe which isn't even a cologne, so he's probably trying to find a real cologne but that isn't too mature. I find college guys like sport colognes the most, which would IMO be the next step up until he has money to explore more options.
    and honestly the discussion of socio-economic class I think college implies having less money than someone older. If I wanted some perfume recommendations I wouldn't want someone recommending me something that was one hundred or two hundred dollars
    "College" to me wouldn't imply any kind of snobbiness or being better and needing a "better" scent than a forklifter. I know as a full time student I don't have to money to buy expensive fragrances or the audacity to ask my loved ones for expensive frags either.
    Last edited by latesa; 7th November 2011 at 08:42 PM.

Heavier or more traditional scents can be a bit much for college aged people. Adult scents are fine, I just advise you try not to smell like a 70-year old lawyer.

Lots of words, after I read the first sentence all I saw was blah blah blah. Wear anything you like. Disregard the fakeness that seeps from the norm and bland, meaning dish the axe bodysprays. Courage and strength. College, hmmm, any scent besides, dormroom funk or two day old beer vomit, dirty laundry , ect

And by the way Mavericks will ALWAYS be cooler then the rest.

awesome 4th post dude!
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

affordability. thats all.

Basenotes Member

My high school fragrance was eternity
    My college ones were L'eau d'Issey and Le Male.

Quote Originally Posted by latesa View Post
    As a college student myself. I neither want to wear some teen fruity scent like Taylor Swift's Wonderstruck but I would neither want to smell too mature.
    I think a college guy is just looking to grow up just a little. High school guys nowadays wear axe which isn't even a cologne, so he's probably trying to find a real cologne but that isn't too mature. I find college guys like sport colognes the most, which would IMO be the next step up until he has money to explore more options.
    and honestly the discussion of socio-economic class I think college implies having less money than someone older. If I wanted some perfume recommendations I wouldn't want someone recommending me something that was one hundred or two hundred dollars
    "College" to me wouldn't imply any kind of snobbiness or being better and needing a "better" scent than a forklifter. I know as a full time student I don't have to money to buy expensive fragrances or the audacity to ask my loved ones for expensive frags either.
    I was going to say something almost exactly like this... when I hear someone say they want recommendations for something to wear in college, I hear "I am growing up and this is an exciting landmark for me; I want to transition to a more grown-up scent and am looking for guidance". Most high school kids don't wear expensive or sophisticated fragrances so they often don't even know where to begin.

it smells like top ramen and chemistry lab
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

Inoffensive and affordable

When I was in college, men really never talked about such things. If you wore a scent, it was supposed to be almost subliminal and usually just for serious dates. My nephew is 18 and just started college last fall. He must have two or three dozen bottles of stuff (he lives in an affluent suburb in the northeast U.S. where kids know a lot about things you can buy in fancy malls). My not very close observation suggests that he started out with the more obvious high school choices. His current favorite is Bleu de Chanel, which I take to be among the more sophisticated choices available in that mall-bound environment. I've never asked him if he knows of what's available in the wider world of fragrances, but my guess is that he is not.

I've noticed that when he goes out in the evening he projects Bleu de Chanel a good twenty feet (on me, the same scent projects maybe three quarters of an inch). Heavy dosing seems to be a norm these days in the under-25 male crowd, which suggests a strong generation gap to me (none of us would have done anything like this in college). The scent is also smooth and pleasant, even in megadoses, unlike those old, highly aggressive men's "fragrances" of yore, that could be smelled from three doors down the hall.

He's a laid back, cheerful, confident kid so my guess is that he wears what he likes and his friends approve (even the grown-ups do actually). Given his fairly luxe but usually very good, understated taste in clothes and cars, and the fact that he lately has been saying how much he likes wearing a suit, I'd guess he is going to just move in the same general direction of smooth fashionability during the rest of his college career. Very different from my generation.

So a few take aways for college: be yourself, find out what you like and keep looking for it, and, all other things being equal, be a gentleman about it.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 20th February 2012 at 04:59 AM.

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

In order for a scent to be "college" it has to have a nice amount of power and versatility and youthfulness without being overpowering.

Youthful scents like armani code, usher, curve, hugo, cool water game, Fierce by A&F, body kouros, carlos santana, CK Euphoria, CK One, D&G by,D&G the one are always welcome in a classroom, party setting, but silage is an issue. I have found from my exp women DO NOT WANT TO SMELL anything that is overpowering or strong, too spicy or heavy and they can quickly make u get known as the "cologne guy" and scents that are too sweet, sensual, heavy and in your face become a signature "sex hound horndog" scent and will drive college chicks away

I would recommend sporty and youthful fragrances that make u smelling good while they dont carry across the room and nauseate everyone u come into contact with. Paco Rabanne 1 million, le male, joop, lolita lempicka, issey miyake, opium, M7 can easily become VERY strong and are often more popular with older crowds due to their heaviness and strong sillage.

For college buy scents at aeropostale, pacsun, rue 21 where they market products that are for younger people and avoid the "heavy and strong sillage, dryness of many older person frags". I have worn joop to college and it was a bit strong and some people didnt like it, michael jordan and adidas were too basic, unforgivable was too cloying, le male and A'men were WAY too spicy and strong and "weird smelling" from others and this is from the feedback i got

My number 1 would be fierce by A&F because women seem to love this juice and Euphoria, curve, usher are VERY popular with lots of women due to their fruity vibes and armani code has a nice amount of understated sweetness and an overall popularity with all the women who smelled it, john varvatos is a great smell but its a little bit spicy and maybe more sophisticated for college, but can be a good option.

What I take from this discussion:

1. College women don't like men who wear scents that make them seem like they wear scents to attract women.
    2. College men have a tendency to over-apply, which makes stronger scents pretty unbearable. I have heard female high school teachers say the same thing about teenage boys in their classes.