Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What makes a scent "college" or "for college"?

I see the question in many threads here: "I need recommendations, and I'm in college," or some phrasing very like. When we think about it, I really don't think it means much, and I'll explain, but really my thoughts aren't the end of everything and I'd like to hear what everyone else means by it.

Truly, I have this wondering everytime I see the "I'm in college and need a scent" question, but right now there's an example of it near the top of the first page of the board that has driven it home to me and made me have the fearlessness to ask this question. In that thread, Axcell, a good guy, asks a question with all the best motives--he wants ideas and help and we all want to be of assistance; I absolutely do not post this thread to pick on Axcell at all, but indeed his thread gives birth to this one. I don't want this to be a thread about his thread either, just one on the repeated phenomenon of "college" as it relates to scents, so please, help me try not to make Axcell nervous or self-conscious in his fine question. But in the thread Axcell underlines and bolds "college student" as if those two words are defining characteristics.

Why would that affect what scent one might like? Maybe college scent seekers are just using the words to show their age group, as if that age group has certain smell things associated and required to be associated with them. But I also wonder if "I need a scent for being in college" isn't also some kind of class reflection that we're not immediately aware of, as if the scent a person in college would like would be different from the scent of someone who drives a fork lift after high school. Why would they be different? Why would a college student believe they would be different? Do we divide scents between college, fork lift, convenience store clerk? Is there a way we implicitly say to ourselves "oh, this guy's in college, so he needs a 'better' scent"?

I don't think we do. But in the same way General Motors made Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac to call upon car consumers to think they needed a new and fancier marque as they progressed up the industrial pay scale, I wonder if "I need a scent and I'm in college" doesn't presume the same thing--a car marque or a scent choice to reflect one's perception of status accumulation.

Of course it's easy for us to say "Hell no, I'm totally fair to all concerned and I'm a totally socially and social class fair guy and I give as much value to society from a college student as I do a forklift operator, yessir, for sure I do!" but I wonder if such declarations aren't made a little false if we think "I need a scent that's appropriate for college"? Wouldn't such a scent be just as much fun and just as appropriate on the factory floor or delivering shipping packages? Do we ever say "oh no, don't wear that scent, that's appropriate while working on the road repair crew!"

I don't think we do. I don't know what college means for scents.

Any ideas?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What makes a scent "college" or "for college"?

Wow Dust- going deep tonight. Never thought of it at that level. I've always taken "college" in this context to simply be shorthand for "I'm between 18 and 22."

I get what you're saying, but I think most of the guys who post something like that are using it more as a general age reference than "I'm not a forklift operator."

Post Thanks / Like

There isn't one.

Other than that: Somebody thinking it, saying it, believing it.
    Last edited by pluran; 15th May 2011 at 07:06 AM.

Dust, the age range, as StylinLA showed, is a good way to categorise.

This category is opposed to "mature."

It's all relative, in a way. Some very young men chose to wear Habit Rouge.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I had never considered the socio-economic aspect when the question is asked. When I see it I think of a classroom situation (or lecture hall, I guess) with regular close proximity to a peer group who are probably more acutely aware of what others are listening to, wearing etc. etc. And so the dilemma might be, how do I fit in while asserting my own individuality?

In that sense it's an internal peer group thing, and I confess I think of my son, early 20s finishing college and hanging with a specific crew of his peers outside of classes, who have their own style, look etc.

College, BTW, also says America to me because here and where I come from (NZ) university and polytech etc. are used so I flash on to what I would consider a US classroom environment (as seen in movies and the odd TV show) which in turn makes me think about what specific brands and scents might be common currency / reflect popular culture in that environment. Of course I haven't got a clue, so I never comment

Disclaimer: I don't speak for anyone else when I say this. I speak for myself only. Many of you may disagree, but I think even those who disagree will understand my point of view.

Some people enjoy the idea that all fragrances are for all people of all ages and all lifestyles that can be worn for any occasion, any time of day, any time of year. Just grab a bottle and spray.

Personally, I think a fragrance are like an article of clothing and act an extension of your style and personality. Like clothing, you need to be mindful of your occasion, environment and lifestyle. You wouldn't wear a t-shirt and jeans to a boardroom meeting, and you wouldn't wear a three-piece suit to a Superbowl party. Fragrances allow for much more flexibility, but fragrance choices are still somewhat governed by things other than "whatever I felt like."

Don't get me wrong. I think that everyone should, first and foremost, find their own style and be comfortable with it regardless of any external factors. However, there is an appropriate time and place for everything, and I'm probably part of the minority when I say this, but there is an appropriate time, place and person for each and every fragrance. At the end of the day, it boils down to whatever works for you, but to me, every fragrance tells a story. I try to match that with my personality, when I'm wearing it, where I'm wearing it, who I'm wearing it in front of.

To answer your question, when someone tells me that they're in college, this gives me clues on the following factors that I consider when choosing or recommending a fragrance:
    -Environment: A college student will be in crowded areas such as a lecture theatre. You can have more than ten other people within a five foot radius from you, and they're sitting with you for up to two hours. If your fragrance becomes cloying in a cramped and sweaty lecture theatre, you will not only distract your classmates but you will also distract yourself by feeling self-conscious that your two sprays of Encre Noire is totally out of control. You also don't want something too generic or weak that blends in with everyone else's Acqua di Gio and gets lost in the crowd thus defeating its purpose. You want something that stands out but isn't potentially overpowering or offensive. I would think that a dude who wants to smell good in his forklift would not need to worry about such things.
    -Age: A college student typically falls within the ages of 18-25. Younger people are more likely to favor styles that are "trendy" or "fashion forward" than "classic" or "timeless". This holds true for clothes, shoes and also fragrances. I think fragrances have a very wide range of style and I think the basenotes community can somewhat reliably choose from ten random fragrances which ones most 20 year olds would enjoy over most of the others.
    -Love/Sex: One of the primary functions of a fragrance is to help attract the opposite sex. One of the primary goals in college is to attract the opposite sex. Some fragrances are better designed to pull this off. I'm more likely to recommend a "panty-dropper" (Sorry, guys. I had to use this term at least once) in a "for college" thread than a "for funeral" thread. There is more to attracting women than your fragrance, but knowing that you smell damn good and that every woman in the room thinks so too can do wonders for your confidence.
    -Uniqueness: Some fragrances are much more commonly worn than others. This is more true of the teenage and early-20's demographic than any others. If you want to wear what every other college boy is wearing, ask a department store rep. If you want to wear something different and better, ask Basenotes.
    -Versatility: College life is all over the place. You're in a classroom, out for coffee with a few friends, on a date with a special lady, at a house party with 50 special ladies, etc... Most college students are on a budget...maybe not for Mr. "Recommend me a Creed" Axcell (jk). A signature fragrance that is versatile for all situations that a 20-year old college student might find himself in will get much more mileage than the spicy oriental for formal evenings. I'm sure the OP would appreciate it if our recommendation gets him through day and evening, Sunday to Saturday during busy college life.

This is just a small list of a few things that can change your fragrance choices and recommendations based on three simple words that contain a lot of information about a person's life: "I'm in college".
    Last edited by Bokchoy; 15th May 2011 at 06:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting and relevant questions, DustB. My guess is that it relates to "what scent is appropriate for this age group?", the college set. Perhaps it is that individuals in a younger age group are still seeking their identity and unsure of making a move that would be way too outside of the box (reaching for Boucheron Pour Homme or VC & A Tsar or whatever) as far as how other individuals perceive them based on their scent selection.

That being said, anyone concerned or thinking about what is an "acceptable" scent for their particular age group is forward thinking enough to be able to wear anything, in my opinion. There is no right answer when it comes to determining what is a college scent.

Curious to hear other people's insight.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember going to college with guys who wore Serge Lutens and Micallef and I am pretty sure there were students who did not know what perfume was. My point is that specifying "college" is not enough. Usually a budgetary figure needs to be attached to it for better suggestions.

Funny story:

I remember getting on to the dorm elevator at 9 in the morning first week of my freshman year at college. The elevator was already pretty full when I got on. Immediately this guy blurted out "Are you going on a date man? "
    I looked at my watch, then him then my watch then him again and said its 9 am on Monday! wtf
    You have cologne on he said. I replied, yeah and ?? We were both really puzzled lol.

I then realized he was reacting to the perfume I had on. Musta been pretty potent for people who are not used to perfume and some who still smelled like beer from last night. Needless to say, I quickly ditched the dorms and rented myself an apartment. A month later (had to wait till I was 18 to legally rent lol).

Any scent IMO can be worn as a college scent or for college

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I see the question in many threads here: "I need recommendations, and I'm in college," ...
    I don't think we do. I don't know what college means for scents.
    Any ideas?
    Why does he ask? He doesn't know for himself. That might be a clue to analyze the situation further. If he was more self assured he would go out or online and get him some samples and decide then after, by own judgement. Maybe his GF would assist. That's apparently not the case.

As others mentioned before an overapplied fragrance could isolate the student further. By far more than a wrong vibe of his cologne. What is desireable could be something not too powerful, should be natural smelling in case of unvoluntary overapplication, avoid fancy in favor of a tame, smooth appeal. Most probably the wearer is not prepared to be asked about his cologne. Not at least it should fit regional specifics regarding fabric softener, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, shoe shine.

Refering back to Axcells attempt to make it with a Creed, that wont do it. Creeds are meant to be loud, maybe even vulgar 'compliment getters'. All in all conventional, occasionally of lower artisanal quality, if not by 'batch variances', each with some weired distinctive 'note' to make sure it gets noticed. E/g 'pineapple' or 'coconut' kitsch. A force to make You the sovereign over the airspace. Clearly other choices are possible, and in my humble opinion, preferable. College or elsewhere.

My suggestions would be the same as with any other beginner, who is looking for a friendly, humble scent just to lift the mood before leaving.
    Last edited by WildThingy; 15th May 2011 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    Refering back to Axcells attempt to make it with a Creed, that wont do it. Creeds are meant to be loud, maybe even vulgar 'compliment getters'.
    Of all of the Creeds I've tried, Tabarome, Bois du Portugal, and maybe Aventus are the only ones that I would classify as "loud". GIT, SMW, MI, Himalaya, VIW, Erolfa. Definitely not "loud"

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post
    Of all of the Creeds I've tried, Tabarome, Bois du Portugal, and maybe Aventus are the only ones that I would classify as "loud". GIT, SMW, MI, Himalaya, VIW, Erolfa. Definitely not "loud"
    Define 'loud'. I meant it more in sense of being 'phony', a perfume perfume, something that pretends to be perfume but isn't due to lack of handicraft (or, at least, some peculiar 'batch variations'). In order to just make a statement, THAT 'perfume' is worn, more or less regardless of which one. Something that is not desireable for its own in the first place.

Piguet Fracas ain't loud by that definition, but the infamous 'Silver Mountain Water' is. SMW screeches as soon as one smells it, it doesn't fit in, it ain't 'agreeable'. Makes one think, uuuhhh, 'perfume'! That is the 'compliment getter'-quality on one hand, on the other hand it may feel presomtuous to those who, by attitude, won't compliment someone for his cologne. By now Creed shifted over to replicate the once 'female' fruit salad fashion with pineapple and coconut, as a nonchalant cocktail time thing. In College?

To be avoided. May be o/k for reckless professionals to get noticed in the office.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    There isn't one.

Other than that: Somebody thinking it, saying it, believing it.
    Exactly.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Not so much a college fragrance, but one that is more accepted by college aged peers. That's what I'd think and go for.

I'm not going to wear something that smells like an "old man" to my peers. In general that's not a good comment, IMO and experience.

There's some things I like but wouldn't wear to class. Like Trefle Pur by Atelier. Girlfriend doesn't like, and I can see it smelling way too citrus/green/natural for the average person. But I love it. So I wear it when I'm at my place and when she's not around.

It's not that I'm out to impress others with cologne (that's pathetic, sorry), but I simply don't want to offend anybody. I don't know... I'm just considerate like that

Post Thanks / Like

College is a unique social environment that exposes a man (or a woman) to an unprecedented number of sexually available and willing women (or men). Very different from the shop floor guy, who is not going to interact with as many women in any given week.

A college guy is going to want something that is light and inoffensive for class, yet sexy as to attract the potential romantic partner.
    Last edited by adonis; 15th May 2011 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post

A college guy is going to want something that is light and inoffensive for class, yet sexy as to attract the potential romantic partner.
    I'm sorry but that's just lame if a college guy really believes cologne is going to get him a partner.

I'm sure most college guys here (who actually get partners) can agree with me on this: if you want girls go to a party (esp. where there's alcohol). Don't be antisocial and be nice (aka have some GAME). You'll attract some romantic partner eventually... as long as you look presentable and decent.

Enough of this cologne getting girls/compliments nonsense on basenotes!

I'm sure 100+ college shmucks have rushed out to buy some Aventus in hopes of female attention after the over abundance of compliment hype it has on basenotes.

But Adonis, don't forget while college guys may buy light, generally liked by female scents (aka AdG, fierce ect), the ones that really want the attention will over apply it anyways. So it's not that light and inoffensive after 10 sprays.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention, when I was at university pure patchouli oil ruled. With talk of this thread being saved for posterity I thought you all should know that
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 16th May 2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: we want a kinder, gentler world n'est-ce pas?

I always thought it was more for age classification, with possibly some budget restrictions implied. When I think of college students, I think of an age group that is most likely beyond the age of striking out in absolute "different" directions just for the sake of different, but also an age group that is just starting to find their own identity and all things associated with that identity. Fragrance being one of those identifiers.

So, different, but not too much. Maybe not dirt cheap, but possibly not in the high end niche range. Approved by peers but individual. Things like that.

I don't think it is a class statement.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion... no particular characteristic whatsoever

From strictly personal viewpoint, during my own "college age" I had such an eclectic and such an unpredictable range of fragrance choices, including wearing some quite formal, "mature" and (generically speaking) "non-college" scents

Post Thanks / Like

bokchoy, you make some thoughtful comments.

I'm pretty sure that when someone is asking for a "college" fragrance, they want something that smells "young," and perhaps trendy. I'm too much of a newbie to know exactly what that is, but I believe I know it when I smell it. I remember when I was in college in the late 80s/early 90s, Eternity was all the rage. I do not like that frag at all anymore. I'm not making a value judgment; I just don't like sweet smelling things anymore. However, back then, many of the young set were wearing it.

To me, what such a person would be trying to avoid would be something like YSL's Rive Gauche, which, IMO has a soapy, old-school barber shop fragrance. Don't get me wrong...I love this scent and own it.

To recap: the distinction is probably mostly about age.

Post Thanks / Like

When stating they are in college, many may also be signaling they don't have tons of disposable income at the moment, so would prefer more modestly-priced recommendations.

Post Thanks / Like

When somebody says "I am in college", a lot of information about lifestyle choices is missing. For example, I can go to a small liberal arts college or to a large state university, then I will either have mostly small seminars or large lectures--these parameters change, but it's still "college". I can go to frat parties or study in the library every weekend, but it's still "college", and so on. Certainly "college" has different implications from "forklift", but I can be a college student or a forklift driver and still love to read philosophy. I think if somebody is not willing to specify his or her lifestyle decisions, we should respect that. In that case, we should just go on whatever stereotype of "college student" we have--certainly this does not have much intersubjective reliability, but when you take a large enough sample of people you will probably get a reasonable approximation of what is appropriate to recommend to a "college student".

this post was too long to read. i skipped the massive chuk in the middle. I always interpreted "i'm in college" to mean "I'm 18-22 and think i'm the man"

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Bokchoy's post (see #6) pretty much sums it up for me, though I'd add that not every college-aged guy go as deep. Many of them just want something that makes them stand out positively to both peers & potential romantic partners. That's why we often hear concerns over the fragrance's lack of projection/sillage & longevity from this group.

Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    this post was too long to read. i skipped the massive chuk in the middle. I always interpreted "i'm in college" to mean "I'm 18-22 and think i'm the man"
    Yes. Humble and grounded people NEVER go to college.

I always took it to mean they were interested in a fragrance that would assist with picking up young women.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel that anyone who asks for recommendation really needs to be more specific. Stating that you would like to have a fragrance for college just does not cut it. I think Incents makes a good point above, except I don't feel I want to respect a poster who "...is not willing to specify his or her lifestyle decisions...". You gotta give more info, otherwise, these college rec threads are a dime a dozen. It is also to the OP advantage to specify more.

DustB, thanks for such a well written post above, I know I certainly appreciate that. Reading and thinking on Basenotes...what a nice concept !

And what is this business of having to always fit in ? I'm not saying wear Habit Rouge to your Chemistry lecture, but if you are on Basenotes, branch out a bit. And take your time, read, sample....etc.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Only if it came with a calculator and a pocket protector in a gift set lol. Very valid points and I don't get it either. I am frustrated when those type questions are asked. I try to think of their age if I answer. The ultimate answer is, if you like it, wear it. This is something Joe has maintained and I believe to be sound advice.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Post Thanks / Like

There is an identity thing here, too.

Part of the college experience is continuing to discover who you are, what you want in life, and how you might begin to pursue it. In that sense, posting a thread on BN taking suggestions for a "college" scent is both perfectly natural and laudably conscientious.

But eventually (hopefully?), each of us comes to a point where we are secure enough in ourselves and our desires to do as we wish without fear of ridicule or reprisal from those around us. There were days in college I wore Shalimar to class and Zino out that night. The people who knew me well understood this hobby as but a part of my larger identity, the whole of which they were free to accept or reject as suited their fancies.

That said, such a journey is a personal thing and ought not to be unduly rushed. Telling new members to "wear what you like" is not particularly helpful when they are still finding their way around. I have got a lot of time for people who can admit when they do not know something and are willing to seek help and learn. That kind of gumption can be a useful thing in life; I am always pretty clear with friends about what I will take shit for and what I won't. Put thusly, people will respect your choices in their own time if you give them a chance.

If they don't, then perhaps one ought to consider finding others who will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post

I'm sure 100+ college shmucks have rushed out to buy some Aventus in hopes of female attention after the over abundance of compliment hype it has on basenotes.
    True dat, LOL. They're not "schmucks", just inexperienced guys who are looking for the olfactory equivalent of Spanish Fly.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to thank all you guys for your very thoughtful turning over of my question. I also want to thank Surfacing for his kind words!
    Best, everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    DustB, thanks for such a well written post above, I know I certainly appreciate that. Reading and thinking on Basenotes...what a nice concept !
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

fountain

interesting thread, this

Quote Originally Posted by fountain View Post
    interesting thread, this
    I agree. One of the best I've ever read on BN. Thank you DustB for opening it - and mr. reasonable, Bokchoy, cello, Emlynevermore, and others for your really insightful thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

If I were looking for a college fragrance today, I'd want something that's more unique, versatile, and cost-effective. But there isn't one genre. I just graduated two years ago, and my go-to going out bottle throughout college was Fahrenheit, an 80's classic that was a huge compliment/girl-getter in the mid to late 2000's. Many different choices available.

Post Thanks / Like

I like this thread and when we are done discussing it here I might move it to the just starting out forums and sticky it. I think it might be a nice read for the people and to see the reasoning of veterans.

For me in college I wanted something that was easy to get, affordable and that suited my personality while also not being too terrible to others. I think I wore Angel Innocense a lot and Lolita Lempicka L. They were easy to find, but not worn all over the place and I like how they smelled and no one died around me or made choking noises.

I think for men I would recommend to check out some of the older Chanels and Diors, even if they are reformulations they are pretty good and if you dont go for the 'just released' ones not everyone in your class will be wearing the same thing.

If you want something a bit more interesting you can check out Caron, you can find very good deals on Third Man and I adore Third Man so I always recommend it because not enough guys are wearing it.

Don't forget that there are places online where you can order samples so you can try out a few classics to see if there are a few bottle worthy or if you want to order larger decants. You can for instance buy a full bottle of a scent you imagine to wear every day and a decant of a few scents for special occasions.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

i think it's a fair question. college has a very dynamic environment and it involves no only interacting with people but also being seated next to so many other students. in such scenario i cannot think of wearing a Black Oudh or a Noir Patchouli or Gentleman; unless ofcourse if i dont really care about the comfort of others.

Post Thanks / Like

Not so much a college fragrance, but one that is more accepted by college aged peers. That's what I'd think and go for.
    There's usually a substantial population, at least at State universities, of students who could hardly care less what's popular on Frat/Sorority Row (to use a stereotyped example.) When I was an undergrad, there was an unfortunate tendency for certain students to bathe in Polo, so perhaps we can be forgiven

Still, a 17-22-year-old guy likely isn't all that familiar with what's out there or he wouldn't be asking here. I'd assume he'd probably prefer to start with something that isn't too insanely expensive for his budget (Creed, Amouage, Heeley, and the like), too wierd (Secretions Magnifiques, half the BPAL, Demeter, and CdG libraries), or too easy to overspray (Would YOU want to be stuck sitting next to the guy who applied 12 sprays of Grey Flannel or Fracas?)

I'm not going to wear something that smells like an "old man" to my peers. In general that's not a good comment, IMO and experience.
    What's "old man" to your crowd might be "retro" or "classic" to others ... or so unfamiliar that the age classification doesn't come up.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take... as someone who teaches at a college (but once, in the dim and distant past, also went to college).
    The concept "college" IMO represents a rite of passage. A person is leaving familiar environment (home, friends) and may be traveling to a different place to embark on a new venture. Any rite of passage involves re-inventing the "self" -- the identity, the sense of who one is. It is a time of new beginnings and a time of laying aside previous identities.
    The quest for a "signature scent" to mark this ROP is a way to make tangible/sensory the change in identity. "this is the [new] me... I smell different."
    That's my take on the situation. :-)
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

My college scent was Fahrenheit. Did it get me girls? No, but Fahrenheit, daily pushups, an affable personality, and copious amounts of vodka often (okay, okay - sometimes) did.
    Last edited by adonis; 17th May 2011 at 02:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've worn Ambre Narguile, Virgin Island Water, Millesime Imperial, By Man, Back to Black, L'instant de Guerlain Extreme, Mure et Musc Extreme, Rose 31, Tilda Swinton Like This, and about 30 other fragrances to college at one time or another. I'll wear anything. I don't wear any fragrances that are polarizing, so I don't think about it really. I just wear whatever.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread...

Maybe it's just a way of calling to other college students to answer the question or advise the OP?

I wonder if the folk who do say it on here, say it with everything they do

"I'm at college, could I have a regular latte please?"

"I'm at college, could I have a bus ticket into town please?"

"I'm at college, have you got the latest GQ please?"

I was at college, and never felt the urge to tell people that I was, when asking questions or for advice on anything...
    LOST! in scent and music

Post Thanks / Like

Such a great post! This has to be My first post. This "classification" concept is the exact reason I started searching to cure my ignorance about fragrances. I am by no means new to colognes but I'm pretty ignorant to what is out there, but I'm learning.

I'm way past the college age, though most people say I look like I am still in college. I've always kept up with what was going on around me and knew what was always trendy. How to classify what is college, trendy, "old man", classic, etc...how do you do that? What is trendy is not necessarily what is current (AdG for example), but what is current may not be trendy either. When I was in college I wore the current popular colognes and didn't stray that far from the norm. Growing older I still wore the current frag's but started to find what I liked an didn't like. I learned that I didn't want to smell like everyone else, but I also didn't want to alienate myself with a fragrance that had fallen out of favor like the original Polo or Drakkar. I also didn't wear anything like AdG due to it being WAY too trendy.

Would any of you, college or otherwise, wear Drakkar today? The association of Drakkar and who wears it, from what I hear, is not something that is favorable here in the US, but this might just be my ignorance showing also. This has to be one of the best scents I have ever worn, but I will not touch it now. My current "every day" scent has been Kenneth Cole Black for quite a while now. It smells spectacular on me (IMO) and I've always got a ton of compliments. THAT is #2 reason I wear it. #1 reason is that I like it. Probably #3 is because it lasts forever on me too.

From a noob prospective, the association of college will always be the current, trendy scent. That is the reason you smell Acqua di Gio all over the place even to this day. The association of that scent for me is "college, trendy, frat house". I will not wear it simply for that reason. All of my knowledge and choices have been due to their association up to this point. Only recently have I got into others like Creed GIT and Penhaligon's BB and my eyes have opened up some. I still find it hard to believe that anyone would splash on some Brut or Old Spice though. To me, the association of those scents are just simply cheap and old. Please, I do not mean to offend in any way, if people wear those. I am ignorant and trying to learn.

With all that being said, how many of you would suggest a 20 something to pick up a bottle of Drakkar and try it? How many of you that ARE 20 somethings that actually wear it on a regular basis? Would you wear Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet to college?

Am I way off base here?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the main thing I think when I hear "college" is "I will be wearing this 24 hours a day." My first real perfume back in High School was Light Blue. Now I think its boring and never wear it but back then when it never changed it never bothered me or got old and got alot of compliments from boys. Even at 26 I still man test the perfume! So you need something that will not dry down stinky or weird if combined with sweat or heat or cold, a totally all the time thing. For a girl, trendy now, I think Bright Crystal at Nordstroms Rack on sale 50ml $35. I get loads of compliments when I go dancing at gay clubs, mixes with sweat in a truly hypnotic way. Perfect for college!

:edit: Also I would think college kids might have trouble buying online or getting hard to find scents. Something that can be purchased locally with cash without much travel. ie Sephora, Ross, Marshalls.

ysl la nuit dlomme did me justice in college

Post Thanks / Like

~my first post on here~
    When I hear someone say 'I'm in college I need clothes' or 'I'm in college recommend to me a cologne' I think that several things are implied here they are:
    1. I need something that can stand up to my busy day, most college students go to class, work, hang out, go on dates, and all of that Jazz.
    2. I need something that's budget friendly,most college students may not have much money left to spend so they want something a little easier on the wallet.
    3. I need something that other people won't be easily bothered by in closed off spaces like a classroom, dorm, or lecture hall.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, something that won't annoy people is important.

Something modern too.

As a rule, though there are exceptions, the college crowd are concerned with trendiness and "fitting in." A certain amount of conformity is expected, and mavericks are not considered "cool."

For instance, a young woman who favours Shalimar or a young man wearing Habit Rouge would not be perceived as "with it."
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

As a college student myself. I neither want to wear some teen fruity scent like Taylor Swift's Wonderstruck but I would neither want to smell too mature.
    I think a college guy is just looking to grow up just a little. High school guys nowadays wear axe which isn't even a cologne, so he's probably trying to find a real cologne but that isn't too mature. I find college guys like sport colognes the most, which would IMO be the next step up until he has money to explore more options.
    and honestly the discussion of socio-economic class I think college implies having less money than someone older. If I wanted some perfume recommendations I wouldn't want someone recommending me something that was one hundred or two hundred dollars
    "College" to me wouldn't imply any kind of snobbiness or being better and needing a "better" scent than a forklifter. I know as a full time student I don't have to money to buy expensive fragrances or the audacity to ask my loved ones for expensive frags either.
    Last edited by latesa; 7th November 2011 at 08:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Heavier or more traditional scents can be a bit much for college aged people. Adult scents are fine, I just advise you try not to smell like a 70-year old lawyer.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of words, after I read the first sentence all I saw was blah blah blah. Wear anything you like. Disregard the fakeness that seeps from the norm and bland, meaning dish the axe bodysprays. Courage and strength. College, hmmm, any scent besides, dormroom funk or two day old beer vomit, dirty laundry , ect

Post Thanks / Like

And by the way Mavericks will ALWAYS be cooler then the rest.

Post Thanks / Like

awesome 4th post dude!
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

affordability. thats all.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My high school fragrance was eternity
    My college ones were L'eau d'Issey and Le Male.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by latesa View Post
    As a college student myself. I neither want to wear some teen fruity scent like Taylor Swift's Wonderstruck but I would neither want to smell too mature.
    I think a college guy is just looking to grow up just a little. High school guys nowadays wear axe which isn't even a cologne, so he's probably trying to find a real cologne but that isn't too mature. I find college guys like sport colognes the most, which would IMO be the next step up until he has money to explore more options.
    and honestly the discussion of socio-economic class I think college implies having less money than someone older. If I wanted some perfume recommendations I wouldn't want someone recommending me something that was one hundred or two hundred dollars
    "College" to me wouldn't imply any kind of snobbiness or being better and needing a "better" scent than a forklifter. I know as a full time student I don't have to money to buy expensive fragrances or the audacity to ask my loved ones for expensive frags either.
    I was going to say something almost exactly like this... when I hear someone say they want recommendations for something to wear in college, I hear "I am growing up and this is an exciting landmark for me; I want to transition to a more grown-up scent and am looking for guidance". Most high school kids don't wear expensive or sophisticated fragrances so they often don't even know where to begin.

it smells like top ramen and chemistry lab
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

Post Thanks / Like

Inoffensive and affordable

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in college, men really never talked about such things. If you wore a scent, it was supposed to be almost subliminal and usually just for serious dates. My nephew is 18 and just started college last fall. He must have two or three dozen bottles of stuff (he lives in an affluent suburb in the northeast U.S. where kids know a lot about things you can buy in fancy malls). My not very close observation suggests that he started out with the more obvious high school choices. His current favorite is Bleu de Chanel, which I take to be among the more sophisticated choices available in that mall-bound environment. I've never asked him if he knows of what's available in the wider world of fragrances, but my guess is that he is not.

I've noticed that when he goes out in the evening he projects Bleu de Chanel a good twenty feet (on me, the same scent projects maybe three quarters of an inch). Heavy dosing seems to be a norm these days in the under-25 male crowd, which suggests a strong generation gap to me (none of us would have done anything like this in college). The scent is also smooth and pleasant, even in megadoses, unlike those old, highly aggressive men's "fragrances" of yore, that could be smelled from three doors down the hall.

He's a laid back, cheerful, confident kid so my guess is that he wears what he likes and his friends approve (even the grown-ups do actually). Given his fairly luxe but usually very good, understated taste in clothes and cars, and the fact that he lately has been saying how much he likes wearing a suit, I'd guess he is going to just move in the same general direction of smooth fashionability during the rest of his college career. Very different from my generation.

So a few take aways for college: be yourself, find out what you like and keep looking for it, and, all other things being equal, be a gentleman about it.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 20th February 2012 at 04:59 AM.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In order for a scent to be "college" it has to have a nice amount of power and versatility and youthfulness without being overpowering.

Youthful scents like armani code, usher, curve, hugo, cool water game, Fierce by A&F, body kouros, carlos santana, CK Euphoria, CK One, D&G by,D&G the one are always welcome in a classroom, party setting, but silage is an issue. I have found from my exp women DO NOT WANT TO SMELL anything that is overpowering or strong, too spicy or heavy and they can quickly make u get known as the "cologne guy" and scents that are too sweet, sensual, heavy and in your face become a signature "sex hound horndog" scent and will drive college chicks away

I would recommend sporty and youthful fragrances that make u smelling good while they dont carry across the room and nauseate everyone u come into contact with. Paco Rabanne 1 million, le male, joop, lolita lempicka, issey miyake, opium, M7 can easily become VERY strong and are often more popular with older crowds due to their heaviness and strong sillage.

For college buy scents at aeropostale, pacsun, rue 21 where they market products that are for younger people and avoid the "heavy and strong sillage, dryness of many older person frags". I have worn joop to college and it was a bit strong and some people didnt like it, michael jordan and adidas were too basic, unforgivable was too cloying, le male and A'men were WAY too spicy and strong and "weird smelling" from others and this is from the feedback i got

My number 1 would be fierce by A&F because women seem to love this juice and Euphoria, curve, usher are VERY popular with lots of women due to their fruity vibes and armani code has a nice amount of understated sweetness and an overall popularity with all the women who smelled it, john varvatos is a great smell but its a little bit spicy and maybe more sophisticated for college, but can be a good option.

Post Thanks / Like

What I take from this discussion:

1. College women don't like men who wear scents that make them seem like they wear scents to attract women.
    2. College men have a tendency to over-apply, which makes stronger scents pretty unbearable. I have heard female high school teachers say the same thing about teenage boys in their classes.