Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What makes a scent "college" or "for college"?

i ask myself the same i believe it,s because it,s fresh versatile and not two expensive,i ask myself also what makes a scent a panty dropper is it their base notes like vanilla.

I think the term is just a by word for the circumstances. I am a college student and I never wear a fragrance in class, nor would anybody. Fragrances are only for basically 3 different situations: bar, date, and parties. Most college bars and parties are not really sophisticated.
    A "college" person can have two different approaches, they can either get a mass market safe scent because that's what is called for in the situations, or they can get a better one because they are surrounded by mundane smells like Armani (insert line), Polo (insert line), etc. One can easily stand out if they have something slightly better.

black xs

When I was a college student, perfumes to me were a luxury. So I chose 1-2 perfumes that were versatile, long-lasting, and at a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

I remember getting on to the dorm elevator at 9 in the morning first week of my freshman year at college. The elevator was already pretty full when I got on. Immediately this guy blurted out "Are you going on a date man? "
    I looked at my watch, then him then my watch then him again and said its 9 am on Monday! wtf
    You have cologne on he said. I replied, yeah and ?? We were both really puzzled lol.

I then realized he was reacting to the perfume I had on. Musta been pretty potent for people who are not used to perfume and some who still smelled like beer from last night. Needless to say, I quickly ditched the dorms and rented myself an apartment. A month later (had to wait till I was 18 to legally rent lol).
    I don't really get it. "Needless to say, I quickly ditched the dorms...." Are you saying that you got an off campus apartment so you could wear fragrance without fear of reprisal? Weak, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck81 View Post
    I don't really get it. "Needless to say, I quickly ditched the dorms...." Are you saying that you got an off campus apartment so you could wear fragrance without fear of reprisal? Weak, dude.
    No, that is not why he said he got an off campus apartment. I would imagine there are a million reasons to find an off campus apartment and get away from dorms.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

To me it means, I've figured out that girls aren't shy anymore and actually like men with cologne on. so I should get some. so age group and compliment getters are what they are looking for. IMO

Blog Entries

Did you read about the young man in New Zealand who ended up with serious burns after he sprayed the inside of his car with Lynx (Axe)? And there have been teachers complaining that so many students cover themselves in the stuff that it's almost unbearable to stand in there and inhale. And I've even read serious questions about fragrances which are guaranteed to bring success with "the laydeez".
    When I was at university (British) I wore Diorella and my best friend was a Miss Dior fan. The most successful man with the laydeez at the time was the one who could identify all the different scents women were wearing, and didn't bother with one himself. Interesting, yes?
    Daytimes, I'd go for a fresh citrus scent which will help to keep you awake in lectures. (I make one for myself called Wake Up and Smell the Coffee - lots of citrus oils and coffee essential oil too; that keeps me alert in dull meetings.)
    Evenings, just keep it within talking distance. If someone can smell your scent before they're close enough to hear what you're saying, you've overdone it.

college fragrances are fresh and invigorating and youthful. Many of the scents from abercrombie, Hollister, Aeropostale, pacsun, usher and celeb scents are for teenagers and adolescents and adolescents often want more sporty scents.

In college, fresh fragrances are going to be more common, its good to have some soapy clean smells and some citrus, aquatics and fresh woodsy fragrances. However.......

college fragrances are SEX APPEAL IN A BOTTLE and only a small handful of scents fit this category as many may be too heavy, too sweet or too dry. In college, pure malt by thierry mugler is a great choice, body kouros is also good, xerus rouge and animale animale are good, usher is good if ur chem is right, ecko by marc ecko and michael jordan legend are also good. Le Male is classified as a college fragrance but it has a good bit of weird spice and heavy sweetness which makes it less ideal for a college student. One million by paco rabanne is a great college fragrance, burberry london has a great smell, gucci by gucci and gucci pour homme 2 are great college date scents

adolescents.................fresh invigorating body spray
    college..................citrus and musk clean scents
    college and out.......woodsy spice and oriental
    Macho............. tobacco, chypre and leather
    Retired.............. sophisticated woods and spice

1)Leaves a good impression on that chick in your chem lecture you've been eyeing up recently and happen to be sitting next to today.

2)Improves chances of getting laid.

3)Cheap. Students rarely have much money to spend on not alcohol.

4)Improves chances of getting laid.

5)Can be worn in crowded lecture halls without offending anyone.

6)Improves chances of getting laid.

7)In the case of indie-f*****s (hipsters?), it has to be completely unheard of and different and must be named in a miscellaneous Western-European language. So as to improve chances of getting laid with their female counterpart.

Banned
    Blog Entries

1. Gets compliments from women
    2. Nothing too controversial
    3. Fresh citrus or aquatic

A college scent needs to be affordable, versatile and appealing to more mainstream noses. As a university student myself current fragrances I'm using for class are Bleu de Chanel and Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche.

It's just a shorthand for where they are in life. They're transitioning from adolescence to adulthood, and they want a fragrance that complements that change. Nothing weird, polarizing, stuffy, overly sophisticated, or expensive -- but nothing resembling drugstore body sprays, either. For example: Coco Mademoiselle, Light Blue, Stella McCartney, Vera Wang Princess, Daisy, or even some of the offerings from Jo Malone and Annick Goutal.

Also, you can't underestimate the number of young men who think there's a magic fragrance that will make women flock to them. The ad agencies for Axe and Lynx really know what they're doing.
    Last edited by Metraria; 14th August 2012 at 08:42 AM.

I agree with what you said here. I suppose that someone looking for a fragrance for college is looking for something versatile and affordable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beauxbatons13 View Post
    ~my first post on here~
    When I hear someone say 'I'm in college I need clothes' or 'I'm in college recommend to me a cologne' I think that several things are implied here they are:
    1. I need something that can stand up to my busy day, most college students go to class, work, hang out, go on dates, and all of that Jazz.
    2. I need something that's budget friendly,most college students may not have much money left to spend so they want something a little easier on the wallet.
    3. I need something that other people won't be easily bothered by in closed off spaces like a classroom, dorm, or lecture hall.

Plain and simple? Something fresh that isn't "out there"
    As a college guy, I love unique gourmands, but from experience, most college girls -lets face it, college scent = something attractive to the opposite sex- prefer the simple, over-hyped, easy to find, Macy's aquatics/citrus.

Simply put, it has to smell fresh and clean, not too complex, and most importantly, despite how ridiculous this sounds, it has to attract/at the very least, not offend the opposite sex!

Basenotes Plus

Probably something that is common and generic. A spicy, woody citrusy fragrance...

As a mere lad who recently graduated, I have had the sad experience of my favored scents (TdH, Anteaus) not being attractive to women my age. A majority of my female peers that I surveyed said they preferred the fresher sportier scents. Shrug. I will not change my preferences to suit them, I hope and presume that I will find a woman who likes the same scents I do someday.
    If you have nothing to do, improve your posture.

Bokchov I couldn't have said it any better. I don't think it's a snobby question, I just think there are different lifestyles that demand different frags.

A college scent to me is usually boring Aquatic or Ozonic fragrances that are very cliche in the industry, but there are some desirable college scents. 212 men is pretty darn good.

Hey, want to dominate the university library airspace? Just put on 1 too many sprays of Angel Men...lol

I think a fragrance are like an article of clothing and act an extension of your style and personality.