Code of Conduct

Default Creed Virgin Island Water Millesime and Guerlain L'Instant Homme EDT are the only 2 fragrances I own

What does that tell you about my taste in fragrance?

I wear Creed Virgin Island Water in the Spring/Summer, and Guerlain L'Instant EDT in the Fall/Winter. I know I'm in the minority on basenotes, but I much prefer the EDT over the EDP of L'Instant. I find the EDP to be suffocating, and the cocoa opening blast has a choking effect that makes me gag/cough. But to each his own...

Anyways, I guess the similarities regarding VIW and L'Instant EDT are that they are both sweet, rich, lean towards unisex/feminine, almost edible gourmand, high-quality, and expensive.

Are Creed and Guerlain considered Niche?

I'm so picky that I'd rather have one or two high-quality fragrances which I love, than have dozens sitting on my counter that I only get to wear once or twice a year. Life is too short!

In any event, I'd be interested to know your thoughts on my 2 fragrances I have selected? Would you say I have good taste?

It's fascinating how fragrance is very subjective, and certain people will hate VIW and L'Instant, while others will think I have chosen a superb quality collection.

C'est la vie.

And I guess it's pointless to ask for recommendations for future fragrances given the small collection I own.

I'm a 37-year-old single professional gay male.

Your thoughts are much appreciated....

Default Re: Creed Virgin Island Water Millesime and Guerlain L'Instant Homme EDT are the only 2 fragrances I

I have both those scents and they're great. Yes, that's good taste. You smell good whatever the season. If being a two scent guy works for you- great. Welcome to Basenotes.

Creed is kind of the King Kong of niche. Guerlain is a little harder to pin. Scent is I guess their primary source of income, but I believe they also have a large line of cosmetic products. They're not as big as Chanel or Dior, etc, but opinions seem mixed on whether to classify them niche or not. They probably don't exactly qualify for designer either. Kind of in the middle.

I too probably lean toward preferring L'Instant EdT. But I often layer Edt with EdP. Like 'em both.
    BTW, there is a fantastic L'Instant shower gel and the VIW bar soap is fantastic as well. If you're going to stick with these two, the soaps could really enhance the experience

If you're looking to expand your fragrance wardrobe, you're in the right place.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 16th May 2011 at 05:40 AM.

Default Re: Creed Virgin Island Water Millesime and Guerlain L'Instant Homme EDT are the only 2 fragrances I

I can relate to you as I am also very picky and run on a short list of fragrances. I have four that I use regularly and a bunch of samples. I go for quality over quantity and only bother purchasing something that I absolutely love.

Based on the two fragrances that you own and like, here's what I've gathered:
    -Both VIW and L'Instant are regarded as high quality fragrances and are pretty well-received by the basenotes community. VIW isn't my cup of tea, but I do think it's a great fragrance. I love L'Instant and strongly considering adding it to my collection.
    -Neither of your fragrances venture too far into masculine or feminine territory.
    -You like citrus in your fragrances. Both VIW and L'Instant start citrusy and then go in different directions from there. VIW is a sweet citrus that is bright and fruity. L'Instant is a spicy citrus that turns warm and smooth with cocoa and lavender.

I would recommend Terre d'Hermes EDT. It starts of with a peppery bitter citrus via orange & grapefruit and develops into a relaxing woodsy, earthy smell of cedar and vetiver. This would add yet another interpretation of citrus to your collection and gives it a third dimension. It isn't too masculine for a woman to be able to pull off. It is widely regarded as one of the best modern fragrances available. Most of all, I'd say it's the perfect office fragrance. You have a great casual daytime fragrance in VIW and a great warm evening fragrance in L'Instant. Having a go-to workplace fragrance would complete your citrus holy trinity.

Day - Citrus/Fruity - Virgin Island Water
    Evening - Citrus/Oriental - L'Instant de Guerlain
    Work - Citrus/Woods - Terre d'Hermes EDT

Also try the Terre d'Hermes Pure Parfum, which is much smoother and less citrusy. Some (most) prefer it to the EDT. Personally, I prefer the EDT. I love the peppery bitter citrus opening too much to give it up.

Sounds like you have two scents you really like. Would that everyone would find such and find contentment there.

Sort of makes questions of "taste" irrelevant, I think, since you're happy smelling of the things you like. CAn't imagine anyone would whisper "quel faux pas!" at your fragrance passing them.

Next I think you need to figure out that fragrance fascination is a personal aesthetic judgment, which you've carried out. With as much "taste" as your high degree of pleasure at your selections. So, as highly as you regard your selections, so high is your "taste."

I think you should decide to be happy!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

You have good taste, thats what it says.
    Its now time to assess how much disposable income you have and how much you are willing to pay per full bottle.
    100ml of niche perfumes go for about $160 but can go up to $300 for 100ml.

Bokchoy's suggestion of Terre D'Hermes is a good one for you to sample.

A highly regarded scent that would fit with your other two.

You have good tastes, so i recommend to try Chinatown, its fantastic for spring

Quote Originally Posted by bigcream3133 View Post
    You have good taste.

I think they are two good ones. Two I suggest checking out are L'Artisan Premier Figuier and (somewhat less so) Dior Hypnotic Poison. I personally tend toward more masculine scents, but those are a couple that I like that might fit your parameters.

Good taste in frags starts when ((age + annualincome/10)/2)/(#fragsx10) is greater than 1
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

L'instant doesnt have to be expensive, can be had pretty cheaply from the online discounters, like under $60 US for a 75ml. It's important to have fragrances you love but surely you can find more than two? You make me feel so greedy.

Very good choices ! Main thing is - you enjoy them !

I agree with bokchoy and stylinLA add T'erre D'hermes it fits in nicely and is a great great scent !

45 6'2 227 lbs straight lol - see big or tall, gay or straight, old or young, we all have frags in common !!! ENJOY lol

I'm 37, 6'4" tall, 350lbs, big belly, with size 16 shoes. I think I have you beat in the Big & Tall department! lol

But I'm well groomed and smell fantastic.

OP: you have good taste, IMO...if you want to expand your collection, this site is a great place to do your research...I've certainly learned a lot in my time here.

Try Rive Gauche. Inexpensive and fantastic fougere.
    Last edited by adonis; 17th May 2011 at 01:50 AM.

2 great fragrances! Might I suggest Dior Homme for the spring period?

I'm thinking maybe Creed Aventus.

I am a big fan of Virgin Island Water - fantastic opening, and great in warm weather.

But does anyone else find that it practically disappears within a few hours. I don't feel that it's to a point of being just subtle, it literally feels as though i'm wearing nothing.

Any advice on increasing it's longevity?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    I am a big fan of Virgin Island Water - fantastic opening, and great in warm weather.

But does anyone else find that it practically disappears within a few hours. I don't feel that it's to a point of being just subtle, it literally feels as though i'm wearing nothing.

Any advice on increasing it's longevity?

Thanks.
    VIW is indeed an awesome scent, on my skin I get 6-8 hours bit only In temperatures 75 or greater. Sillage is good for the first 1-2 hours then it gets close to the skin but it stays on my skin for a long time. It's a shame it isn't very versatile because Its one of the most unique scents I've smelled.

Quote Originally Posted by checker View Post
    VIW is indeed an awesome scent, on my skin I get 6-8 hours bit only In temperatures 75 or greater. Sillage is good for the first 1-2 hours then it gets close to the skin but it stays on my skin for a long time. It's a shame it isn't very versatile because Its one of the most unique scents I've smelled.
    Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps I need to wait for the warmer weather to arrive.

I like a couple of Creed fragrances, but VIW definitely grabbed my attention when I first tried it, it's just a shame that the opening doesn't last as long.

Within less than two hours I feel the need to re-apply which isn't great considering I'll work my way through a 4oz bottle in no time.

I think it's refreshing to hear from someone who does not have a boatload of frags.. I have too many.. they go bad after a while.. and you can't smell the differences from one to the next after some time.. no matter how "good" the frags are rated. VIW is amazing and really is all I ever ask for from a summer frag. I wear Creed's Neroli Sauvage during summer as well (besides VIW). Aventus is too.. Aventus feels unfinished.. or smells unrefined.. to me. The Guerlain you mention is great, but to me smells like M7.. that's the problem with owning too many fragrances. After a while, they all start to run together. My advice is to stick with the two you like, not clutter up your home/apartment/living space and stick with what you like.

Looking at your taste you might enjoy Philosykos from Diptyque, if you don't find greenness off-putting.

I have not run across anything like VIW. I own it and like it. I have Guerlain L'Instant Extreme and really like it very much. Maybe Guerlain Bois d"Armenie might work for you. I think Tierre d'Hermes is a good suggestion. Maybe Kilian Back to Black as it is very sweet honey tobacco.

I am in agreement with you, a few excellent scents that I love rather than alot of scent gathering dust.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Creed Virgin Island Water and Amouage Lyric for Men are the only two fragrances I own right now. It's funny how these scents both costs around $300 for their 3.4 oz. bottles.

I ditched L'Instant Extreme and the EDT because I don't care for anise that much. I've tried Diptyque Philosykos and Terre d'hermes but they weren't my cup of tea. I didn't like Aventus either. I also tried Tom Ford Extreme, but it was way too heavy for me.

Rochas Man was fun, but I didn't add it to my collection.

The only one left for me to try is Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain.

So for right now it's Creed VIW and Lyric Man all the way!

And I still think I have good tastes.
    Last edited by bigcream3133; 11th June 2011 at 04:03 AM.

The only one left for me to try is Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain.

Great fragrance...may be my next bottle purchase for the fall...
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I'm afraid of the strong incense and vetiver base notes that I've read about in so many reviews regarding Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain. I heard it smels like a middle-eastern version of Le Male?

Anyways, I likely will end up just keeping my bottle of VIW and Amouage Lyric in my collection. That's $600 worth of fragrance. And VIW might have to go because of longevity issues and batch variations.

Amouage Lyric for Men is my #1 for now. Plus, I really enjoy Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo Di Sicilia by Acqua Di Parma (for Men).
    Last edited by bigcream3133; 11th June 2011 at 02:28 PM.

That you would have worn Cool Water in highschool.
    Aqua di Gio in college.
    And in your present state you really want to get laid.

Bigcream, The Tauer smells of intensely dry cedar, scented tobacco, sawdust, and a distant spice market. I love the stuff, it's much more subtle and complex than my blunt summation but blunt is true, those are it's strongest notes.

Quote Originally Posted by scenternerian View Post
    Good taste in frags starts when ((age + annualincome/10)/2)/(#fragsx10) is greater than 1
    [(25 + $48,000/10)/2] / (26x10) = 9.24
    9.24>1

Good taste over here
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman