Code of Conduct

Default What's my Creed???

Dear Knowledgeable Fragrance Enthusiasts:

I am fairly new to all of this. I am trying to build up a respectable wardrobe.

About what I like:
    1. The favorites in my collection are YSL M7, Chanel Antaeus, and Lalique Encre Noire.
    2. Two that I am about to buy are Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain, and Gerlain Derby.
    3. GENERALLY speaking, I like loud spicy, woodsy, leathery, or mediciny scents with great sillage and longevity. I don't like subtle.
    4. I am not a fan of overly sweet scents, and I don't really like citrusy ones at all.

I would love to add a Creed fragrance to my collection, but given the price, it has to be right for me. I have tested GIT, Himalaya, and Silver Mountain Water. None of these have personally turned me on.

Based upon the information I have given, would anyone like to suggest Creed decants that I might want to order?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: What's my Creed???

Lionheart, you should be aware that most every newbie here comes in gangbusters asking what from this house somehow fits his personality.

But try out the heavy, older style, leather, loud, mandarin (not really citrusy) and beautifully unsubtle yet wonderful Royal English Leather. It sort of fits with the Antaeus kind of outlook--not that they smell alike.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Spice & Wood or Windsor. both are very expensive. based on your tastes I might just move along to another house.

First thought I had was DustB's suggestion of Royal English Leather. It's a bit old school, but it might work for you. Maybe Tabarome Millesime as well.

The ones you tested are quite different from your favourites, so it's perhaps not surprising that they didn't suit you as well as you might have hoped. It would certainly be worth trying Bois du Portugal.

If you like Guerlain Derby, odds are you'll love Creed Bois du Portugal. Make sure you have a small atomizer so you can spray your sample on. If you live near a Neiman Marcus, Sak's, Bloomingdale's or Nordstrom that handles Creed, go in and sample to your hearts content! Good luck.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by rhaybans View Post
    based on your tastes I might just move along to another house.
    +1, but since you like leather, try Royal English Leather like others have suggested. Creed is highly overrated or highly underrated depending on who you ask, but one thing is certain: you don't need any Creed to build a solid wardrobe.

REL, Bois du Portugal and maybe Aventus

Bois du Portugal
    Angeliques Encens
    Royal English Leather
    Acier Aluminum

Bois du Portugal +4

Bois Du Portugal

I would love to add a Creed fragrance to my collection, but given the price, it has to be right for me. I have tested GIT, Himalaya, and Silver Mountain Water. None of these have personally turned me on.
    Can I ask why you want to add Creed to your wardrobe?

From what you have said, I think another house maybe more suitable. What about Serge Lutens? They do a lot of strong and spicy scents...

I found a shop local to me, who stock Creed. I wasn't greatly impressed by anything they were offering. I went back another time, to see if I was missing something, and same again. Nothing I fell in love with. Funnily, the ones you mentioned are the ones I thought were quite nice, but not enough to warrant the price. Aventus was pretty nice, but again, not worth the price tag IMO.
    LOST! in scent and music

As my fellow Scandinavian said earlier, a Creed is definitely not a necessity in a respectable wardrobe, since there is an endless(well nearly) amount of other fantastic scents out there. Personally I only bought my bottles (blind) out of curiosity, because I wanted to see if the Creed hype had anything on it. I found the ones I bought - both full bottles and decants - to be nice enjoyable scents, but the expected WOW-factor was lacking compared to their pricing and hype. But the wonderful thing about this interest/hobby/passion is that it is so subjective! One might hate a particular scent, while another considers it a gem of the fragrance world and something (s)he could not live without

But to suggest you one that might fit your taste, I am going to agree with previous posters on Bois du Portugal

Royal Delight
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matiŤre/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pťnŤtrent le verre.

Hey, guys, thanks!

The reason I wanted to add a Creed to my wardrobe is that Creed is spoken of so highly here and I respect many of the opinions I find on here. However, thank some of you for giving me "permission" not to own a Creed. Actually, I think I'll try a couple more (the ones that have been most suggested here) and then call it a day with Creed, at least for now.

Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by lionheart; 17th May 2011 at 01:58 AM.

I agree with many here. Seeing what you like, you could enjoy Bois du Portugal. Another that comes to mind, If you enjoy Kouros by YSL you'll enjoy Orange Spice. Since you like Encre Noire, I would venture to say that you may like Selection Verte. I think this one is one of Creeds best and does not get the credit it deserves.
    My top Creeds are
    Aventus
    Windsor
    Selection Verte
    Original Vetiver
    GIT
    Tabarome Millesime
    but of course, I have not tried all the Creeds as some here have.
    Aventus is a great fragrance but it's in the fruity(pineapple) spectrum and with you not liking citrus. It's a question mark.
    Someone suggested Tabarome Millesime but I think that would be a bit sweet for you. A better option, Original Vetiver.
    If you like leather, I would suggest something from another house, maybe Tuscan Leather (Tom Ford), or maybe Cuir Ottoman.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

Today I went to Saks and sampled Tabarome Millesime, Aventus, Bois du Portugal, Royal English Leather. I know there are many more, but I have actually tried more previously, and these were the ones I had narrowed down, based upon your suggestions and my research. I liked Tabarome Millesime the best, but none of them really got me excited.

I'm gonna think about it like this: I'm a professional, classical musician who is not a big fan of Beethoven, although I do not deny that composer's ingenuity. Maybe the Creed House is just not for me. Thanks, guys, for your thoughtful suggestions.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Quote Originally Posted by LOST! View Post
    Can I ask why you want to add Creed to your wardrobe?

From what you have said, I think another house maybe more suitable. What about Serge Lutens? They do a lot of strong and spicy scents...
    Fully agree on this. Lionheart, according to your taste you would be much better off exploring Lutens.

Vintage Tabarome. Good luck finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaybans View Post
    based on your tastes I might just move along to another house.
    +1. You don't need Creed

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

if you don't love it, don't buy it.

Blog Entries

Sounds like you've done your due diligence on Creed, lionheart. My only further suggestion is that you try the new Royal Oud. If you like something with the classical oomph of Derby, the outdoorsy attraction of your Tauer, and the oudy sensation of M7, then Royal Oud may be the single best Creed for you. It's actually a bit atypical.

I think you definitely need to try Amouage, lionheart. Their fragrances are rich and orchestral - the artistic director is actually an opera singer, among other things. They likely have a few scents that would be right up your alley.

+1 on trying Amouage, that was the first thing that struck me on reading your intro.