Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Serious question: Are there any "Aqua" scents that are better than all others in the pack?

I tend to like the Bvlgari series of Aqvas, and opinions vary on which is the best, so let's leave Bvlgari out of the mix here.

Are there any others that seem to be more loved by basenotes members?
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Serious question: Are there any "Aqua" scents that are better than all others in the pack?

As far as quality aquatics go:

Kenzo Pour Homme
    New West by Aramis (preferably in the old blue bottle)
    Sel de Vetiver
    Horizon (Guy Laroche)
    Millesime Imperial (go vintage if you can)
    Dirty (Lush)
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Default Re: Serious question: Are there any "Aqua" scents that are better than all others in the pack?

Very subjective. However, Sel de Vetiver IMO is a pretty good one.

Post Thanks / Like

Horizon is the only one that intrigued me. And +1 Dirty - I don't perceive it as aquatic, luckily, but I like the mineralic mint a lot.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

If they cost at least $150 or are almost impossible to find they are liked
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    That goes without saying! LOL!!!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

If you like the seawater / algae side of aquatics (as opposed to the fruity /melon side), two good ones to check out are Laura Tonatto Oltre and Comptoir Sud Pacifique Aqua Motu. Kenzo pour Homme is somewhat similar, and very good.

L'Eau Par Kenzo is quite different, with much more citrus, but also excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what I will like. I have Aqva Marine and like it so maybe that is too close in scent profile? Just want to sample some I have not tried for summer.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

+1 Kenzo PH

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I tend to like the Bvlgari series of Aqvas, and opinions vary on which is the best, so let's leave Bvlgari out of the mix here.

Since you are a venerable and respected member here, I'm sure you are quite familiar with Creed MI, which is usually considered the king of the Aquatic scents. What's your opinion of MI? While a few don't like it, I think it fits the bill as being "more loved by basenotes members" than any other aquatic. Other aquatics are going to have much more varying opinions, with lots of members touting specific aquatics and lots more not being familiar with the recommended scents.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I have never even tried a single Creed... I have purposely shied away because of so many reported batch variations. Would love to sample MI or especially Aventus, but am afraid that I might like it, order it and get a bad bottle... I know, silly me!
    Last edited by Akahina; 2nd March 2012 at 04:05 AM.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Aqua Bulgari is pretty damn good and totally unique.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Guy Laroche Horizon
    Aramis New West
    Bulgari Aqua
    Kenzo Pour Homme
    L'Eau Par Kenzo
    Cool Water
    Nautica Voyage

All very highly regarded, all easy to find online if not at a mall, all less than (some far less than) $50.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vbs View Post
    Guy Laroche Horizon
    Aramis New West
    Bulgari Aqua
    Kenzo Pour Homme
    L'Eau Par Kenzo
    Cool Water
    Nautica Voyage

All very highly regarded, all easy to find online if not at a mall, all less than (some far less than) $50.
    See, I told you....
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I have never even tried a single Creed... I have purposely shied away because of so many reported batch variations. Would love to sample MI or especially Aventus, but am afraid that I might like it, order it and get a bad bottle... I know, silly me!
    You should at least try those two. The batch variations are overblown and pretty much cleared up by now.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

You bring up a really good and frustrating point about Creed and their infamous batch variations, but I think they might have what exactly what you are looking for. Essentially all of their Millesime scents are transparent/refreshing and really hard to find fault with.

Go for it and try them out! You won't regret it, that's for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

My choice: Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune

The best aquatic is the Kenzo Pour Homme!

Post Thanks / Like

You have to try Creed MI, it's really good. I recently sampled Liz Zorn's Transcendental Musc and will probably pick up an 11 mL spray. It's not primarily an aquatic, but the ozone accord is noticeable.

TRANSCENDENTAL MUSC - A clean transparent musc, surrounded by a kaleidescope of orange hues.
    Opening Notes: Sweet Orange Oil, Key Lime, Basil, Cantaloupe, Cut Grass, Coriander, Helvetolide
    Heart Notes: Basil Absolute, Petitgrain, Saigon Cinnamon, Allspice Berry, Ozone, Champaca Absolute, Orange Flower Absolute, Orange Flower Accord, Orange Flower Water Absolute, Genet Absolute, Jasmine Accord, jasmine Absolute,
    Base Notes: Velvione, Ambrettolide, Sandalwood Oil, Amyris Oil, Haitian Vetiver, Labdanum Absolute, Green Moss Accord, Clean Musk Accord, Coumarin/Tonka Accord,Sandalwood Accord

Fragrance Type: Clean/Floral/Musc
    Note: the floral accord is not sweet, or flowery in the traditionsl sense

http://www.soivohle.com/soivohle.abs...our.homme.html

Post Thanks / Like

Profumum Roma - Acqua di sale
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Post Thanks / Like

Armani Acqua Di Gio, king of the aquatics. It's the cologne that made aquatics so popular. It's also the cologne that gets me compliments every time I wear it.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Michael Storer's Djin. It's way more than just an aquatic though - in fact I'd just say it's a surrealistic take on aquatic. Sort of. I don't know - very hard to describe. Aquatic/rose/animalic.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Givenchy Pi Neo tropical paradise

Givenchy Blue label
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Heeley Sel Marin

Period.

Post Thanks / Like

Hugh Parsons Blue
    the ADP Blu Mediterraneo ranges
    Baldessarini del Mar
    Agua de Loewe
    Insense Ultramarine by Givenchy

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmellow View Post
    Heeley Sel Marin
    this one + Tirrenico. I'll also second Dirty by Lush and Horizon.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I always laugh when people get carried away in regard to batch variation, I mean it's a real geeky issue. Ok so some of the batches vary a little. All the "2011 is miles better than 2010" talk, IMO is silly. I've had both very old bottles of MI (i.e. all gold bottles) and a newer bottles (clear with a gold sticker on) and both are absolutely fantastic.

It fits the bill of what you are looking for, along with Erolfa but if I was parting with cash it would be MI every time.

Or......

You could forget about "aqua" and get some decent Eau de Cologne. Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, Cologne Imperiale, Eau de Coq etc. If you had a little more money to spend Acqua di Parma range. The Blu Mediterraneo range from AdP are more modestly priced and also worth checking out.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

The best aquatic that I've smelled is Creed's Millesime Imperial. But, Aqui Di Gio is the best seller, and really should be sampled. It smells excellent in the summer heat.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Sel Marin by Heeley - One is initially treated to a brisk duet of citrus from tart and tangy lemon as well as the fresh sweetness of bergamot. This evanescent opening becomes submerged in the awaiting heart. Here, in the middle, posidonia, with its sea-grass, vegetal highlight and oceanic spiciness, joins with a sprinkling of saltiness to furnish a delightful, seashore apparition. White musk interplays with this briny melange to mimic saltwater drying on the skin. Transitioning to the waiting base, earthy and salty vetiver, birch, with its wintergreen and somewhat medicinal aspects, as well as virginia cedar, with its deep woodiness with a hint of petrol, commingle to create the sensation of algaed, pier pilings exposed to air. A comforting drydown ensues. This singular composition has good, radiating projection, as well as good longevity, 7-9 hours.

&

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo - Upon application, one is treated to an invigorating wave of hesperidic notes, with their citrus highlights of lemon, bergamot, tangerine and orange. A touch of neroli with its spicy, overripe orangey aspect also presents, while star anise imparts its sweetish, smoky licorice and slightly woody facets. This fascinating melange floats on a cloud of perfumed hedione, with its tinge of citrusy jasmine and woods, and wafts to the awaiting middle. Here, in the pleasing heart, the opening mix is subsumed by a somewhat bracing concoction of lively and woody pepper, menthol-ish clary sage and nutty coriander. A sweet rose presents as well. An oceanic fucus provides an undertone of salty, aquatic plant life. Transitioning to the waiting base, the aquatic brew is encased by creamy and delicately balsamic sandalwood as well as honeyed and slightly smoky guaiacwood. A fresh-linen musk, akin to a fabric softener dryer sheet, showers the woods, and leads to a refreshing drydown. This pleasant, masculine composition is ideal for spring and summer, and has average projection and very good longevity. Given its inexpensive price point, it's a must have.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

+1000 Aramis New West for Him
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Sel Marin by Heeley - One is initially treated to a brisk duet of citrus from tart and tangy lemon as well as the fresh sweetness of bergamot. This evanescent opening becomes submerged in the awaiting heart. Here, in the middle, posidonia, with its sea-grass, vegetal highlight and oceanic spiciness, joins with a sprinkling of saltiness to furnish a delightful, seashore apparition. White musk interplays with this briny melange to mimic saltwater drying on the skin. Transitioning to the waiting base, earthy and salty vetiver, birch, with its wintergreen and somewhat medicinal aspects, as well as virginia cedar, with its deep woodiness with a hint of petrol, commingle to create the sensation of algaed, pier pilings exposed to air. A comforting drydown ensues. This singular composition has good, radiating projection, as well as good longevity, 7-9 hours.

&

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo - Upon application, one is treated to an invigorating wave of hesperidic notes, with their citrus highlights of lemon, bergamot, tangerine and orange. A touch of neroli with its spicy, overripe orangey aspect also presents, while star anise imparts its sweetish, smoky licorice and slightly woody facets. This fascinating melange floats on a cloud of perfumed hedione, with its tinge of citrusy jasmine and woods, and wafts to the awaiting middle. Here, in the pleasing heart, the opening mix is subsumed by a somewhat bracing concoction of lively and woody pepper, menthol-ish clary sage and nutty coriander. A sweet rose presents as well. An oceanic fucus provides an undertone of salty, aquatic plant life. Transitioning to the waiting base, the aquatic brew is encased by creamy and delicately balsamic sandalwood as well as honeyed and slightly smoky guaiacwood. A fresh-linen musk, akin to a fabric softener dryer sheet, showers the woods, and leads to a refreshing drydown. This pleasant, masculine composition is ideal for spring and summer, and has average projection and very good longevity. Given its inexpensive price point, it's a must have.
    I second Gai Mattiolo Uomo. It's amazing for summer. Haven't tried Sel Marin yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    New West by Aramis
    This one.

Post Thanks / Like

I like New West, but you guys recommending it--Would you really consider it an aquatic?

I know it was labeled and presented as one, but I don't find anything aquatic about it at all. In my experience it's Herbal/Aromatic and fairly dry.

A great scent, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking for a true aquatic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Givenchy Pi Neo tropical paradise

Givenchy Blue label
    This one is under rated...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Post Thanks / Like

I just received a sampler from Ormonde Jayne, and this morning I'm wearing Ormonde Jayne man. Completely different from what I expected, it's a light-green woody with a definite aqua feel to it. Not my cup of tea, but great in the genre. Something you should try if you get the chance.

cacio

It all started with Drakkar Noir for me over 20 years ago. I never tried Horizon until.........30 minutes ago. Found it at the Dollar Tree. I couldn't believe how many of you listed Horizon as one of your favorite "Aquatics". I don't know what this usually sells/sold for if anyone still sells it but for $1, I think it is awesome!

It is way too early to tell if I like this better than Nautica Voyage but I can tell you that it is more complex, has more sillage and longetvity, and is now the best bang for a buck out there (literally).

Another one for Millesime Imperial.

Post Thanks / Like

Creed Mi
    AdG
    Kenzo Pour Homme
    L'Eau Par Kenzo
    Cool Water

Post Thanks / Like

Sel Marin by Heeley. Reminiscent of the beach. Really.

for swap/sale:

If you want a true feeling of salty driftwood ocean: Heely's Sel Marin is the happy version, and Tirrenico is the stormy North Pacific coast version.

That's all you need to know.

Good Lord, stop reading these threads immediately. Go to your computer. Log into fragrancex.com. Buy MI. Wait until it comes in the mail. Put it on.

Return and thank me after you leave its Nirvana scent cloud.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Post Thanks / Like

Of the similar style scents to Bvlgari Aqua (i.e. aqua, but not oceanic or marine), Halston Unbound is my favourite by far.

A lot of the scents described above I'd classify as marine scents (smelling of the ocean or of sea weed (Kenzo Homme)). New West I think is great, but I don't know how to classify it.

It's curious how the once much loved Creed Erolfa doesn't get much mention here nowadays - a good marine scent, but lacks in lasting power on me.

Regards,
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

+10 L'eau par Kenzo (<-the better of the two)
    +1 L'eau par Kenzo pour Homme

Post Thanks / Like

My Aquatic favs - all in my collection are:

Guy Laroche Horizon
    Bvlgari Aqua Marine
    Creed MI
    Polo Blue
    Givenchy Blue Label
    Chanel Allure Sport (not really an aquatic......hmmm)
    Dior Homme Sport (Not really an aquatic either, but hey....a fresh HIGH QUALITY sport scent)
    Versace Pour Homme
    Boss Elements Aqua
    Klein Eterity Aqua
    Kenzo Pour Homme Fresh (less rubber tree note than Kenzo PH)
    Chanel Bleu (is this an aquatic at all)
    Acqua Di Gio (Yes, I kind of like it.......)
    Versace Eau Fraiche
    Nautica Voyage
    Azzaro Chrome Legend
    Davidoff Cool Water
    Sergio Tacchini Per Uomo
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Steer clear of Voyage. It's a chemical laundry musk disaster.

Horizon by Laroche is the one I'd try. Even this one is starting to bore me a little. I don't know. I just can't get into aquatics.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    Steer clear of Voyage. It's a chemical laundry musk disaster.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Post Thanks / Like

I find aquatics hard to love. Horizon is probably my favourite so far but its as herbal and soapy as it is aquatic.

Post Thanks / Like

Amouage Ciel has not been mentioned. The only aquatic I even own is Nautica Voyage.