Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    Default Airport Duty Free

    Is it true that the price of fragrance in Airport is cheaper than usuall?
    Where is the best place to buy fragrance? I mean the cheapest one and guaranteed.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    With Duty Free you need to be travelling, you cannot just go to the airport and buy. Most airports have the usual suspects which are widely available at department stores. Sometimes houses will release exclusives to duty free, like Guerlain with Vetiver Femme or their Cherry Blossom(the latter then appeared on counter in the AA range).
    DONNA

  3. #3

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    How if we are on a transit?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    the Duty Free shopping area is usually in the boarding gates area. So when on transit you will be in the duty free / boarding lounge area and will have access to shopping.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    the Duty Free shopping area is usually in the boarding gates area. So when on transit you will be in the duty free / boarding lounge area and will have access to shopping.
    Is the price there cheaper than usuall?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Duty-free is a bit of a misnomer. Duty is a tax on imports--when you bring something into a country. However, there is really no duty on fragrance any more. If you are boarding an international flight, or in transit, you can usually avoid the local sales tax. But the DFS chain still has pretty high prices. If you are lucky, a duty-free shop may have some unusual selections, but usually they don't have much that is interesting--at least at airports in Japan. So, don't count on super cheap prices, just a break on local tax, and it may take some luck to find something you want. At least it gives you something to do while you are waiting for your plane.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Quote Originally Posted by tjokrohw View Post
    Is the price there cheaper than usuall?
    Dont know. I dont buy from DF.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Duty Free is only accessible when departing. And if you wait till departure to buy the perfume at an assumed discount, you may not find it. Better off just buying it from the market.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    So where do you guys buy fragrance usually?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Duty Free is only accessible when departing. And if you wait till departure to buy the perfume at an assumed discount, you may not find it. Better off just buying it from the market.
    I see.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Quote Originally Posted by tjokrohw View Post
    So where do you guys buy fragrance usually?
    Perfume boutique, if available in UAE or department store. Usually a combination of the two but luckily there are boutiques for most major and niche brands now.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Of course, the first choice is a buy or swap from a fellow BNer! Next, on-line discounters usually have the best prices. Drawbacks: they may not have what you want, and you probably have to use a credit card. (In Japan, COD is still common for on-line purchases!!) Next, check brick-and-mortar stores. Prices are high, but you may be able to score samples. And this is usually the only way to get the newest stuff or most high-end. For samples not available in stores, you can check Perfumed Court or BNers like MFJ that sell decants. Keep looking, don't disregard any of the alternatives!

  13. #13
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Bķzios
    Posts
    78,050

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    Duty-free is a bit of a misnomer. Duty is a tax on imports--when you bring something into a country. However, there is really no duty on fragrance any more. If you are boarding an international flight, or in transit, you can usually avoid the local sales tax. But the DFS chain still has pretty high prices. If you are lucky, a duty-free shop may have some unusual selections, but usually they don't have much that is interesting--at least at airports in Japan. So, don't count on super cheap prices, just a break on local tax, and it may take some luck to find something you want. At least it gives you something to do while you are waiting for your plane.
    This is true

  14. #14

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    It seems to me that prices in the duty-free shops are actually higher than for the same items in brick-and-mortar shops in the country where the airport is located. This is true even in European countries where VAT is included in the shop price. I suppose it's like everything else in the airport, high rent and high overhead for the vendors, as well as a bored and captive audience. Moreover, the duty-free perfume selection is usually limited to the most common commercial perfumes. As others have said, the best bargains are to be found through private sales and online discounters.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,346

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Quite true Doc Elly.
    I think the only time I get a pretty good savings is with currency conversion at an airport in re. to buying a fragrance. ie. if the USD is stronger than the currency of the country whose aiport I am at.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

  16. #16
    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    5,742
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    l would say duty-free shops are definitely worth investigating, as they often have items "on sale" at knockdown prices, & you may just be lucky enough to find something you want at a sizeable discount. This happened to me just this weekend at Athens airport; l'd recently tried Estee Lauder's Brasil Dream & decided l liked it enough to buy it. l looked for it in the duty-free shop & couldn't find it, so l mentioned it to the SA who went off & found me the 2 last bottles in the sale at a cost of 27 euros each!! Of course l snapped them up, & l was so chuffed with my bargain that l treated myself to a "travel exclusive" set of Bulgari Jasmin Noir; a 50ml bottle, purse spray & body wash for 65 euros; still good value in my book!

    You may also find it a good opportunity to sniff fragrances that aren't available in your locale; in my case the Estee Lauder Private Collection line, Tom Ford, Hermes & the Acqua Allegorias by Guerlain. l thoroughly enjoyed my sniffathon, & it certainly made the 3 hour wait between flights much more bearable!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

  17. #17
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,331

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Befores the 1980s most countries used to implement imports substitution economic policies, so imported goods were either non-available or taxed heavily. Thus, duty free shops carried non-taxed sumptuary goods: jewelry, confectionery and chocolates, alcohol, tobacco and cosmetics, later electronic gear, and finally, other shopping goods.

    Now, with globalization and the extinction of import tariffs, duty - free shops lost their original appeal. Add to this fact global pricing policies - ie. Chanel won't admit retailers carrying their goods under different pricing policies than their own, regardless of the market where are they sold.

    So, no, you won't get better deals in duty free shops, unless there are special promotions. I'd suggest you to check prices in well known on-line perfume stores (there is plenty of information on them here in Base Notes) or here, at the Base Notes market place.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Last time I flew, at the end of last year, I was able to get -

    La Nuit De L'Homme EdP - at the airport departures, at a time when you could only get it in London in the UK.

    Bleu De Chanel - during the flight, for GBP 32.00 against a list price of around GBP 43.00

    So, whilst I agree with what the others say, if you have some specifics on your shopping list (as I did) then I don't think the airports should be dismissed out of hand.
    Last edited by JohnTheBeginner; 26th May 2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: punctuation

  19. #19

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    I typically check out the selection and pricing on the way to my destination, and pick up what I want on the way back.

    Gives me time to make a more informed decision and saves me having to lug the bottle(s) around during the trip.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    It seems to me that prices in the duty-free shops are actually higher than for the same items in brick-and-mortar shops in the country where the airport is located. This is true even in European countries where VAT is included in the shop price.
    Not everywhere though. Here in Norway for example Chanel retails for maybe 50% more than in our Duty Frees.

    If you check your country's prices and the Duty Free shop's prices on beforehand (many countries have online "stores"), it might be easier to know what to look for. You can also find quite neat sets, both mini sets and gift sets, at the Duty Free that isn't available here at least.

    You can buy Duty Free at arrival also, but sometimes the shop is smaller than departure.
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

  21. #21

    Default Re: Airport Duty Free

    Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l would say duty-free shops are definitely worth investigating, as they often have items "on sale" at knockdown prices, & you may just be lucky enough to find something you want at a sizeable discount. This happened to me just this weekend at Athens airport; l'd recently tried Estee Lauder's Brasil Dream & decided l liked it enough to buy it. l looked for it in the duty-free shop & couldn't find it, so l mentioned it to the SA who went off & found me the 2 last bottles in the sale at a cost of 27 euros each!! Of course l snapped them up, & l was so chuffed with my bargain that l treated myself to a "travel exclusive" set of Bulgari Jasmin Noir; a 50ml bottle, purse spray & body wash for 65 euros; still good value in my book!

    You may also find it a good opportunity to sniff fragrances that aren't available in your locale; in my case the Estee Lauder Private Collection line, Tom Ford, Hermes & the Acqua Allegorias by Guerlain. l thoroughly enjoyed my sniffathon, & it certainly made the 3 hour wait between flights much more bearable!
    This is very true - I wouldn't dismiss "Duty Free" right away; it's worth looking into. First off, let me say that I put the term "duty free" in quotes as it's not officially duty free here in Europe. The EU did away with that a few years ago. However, Heathrow airport (London) is surprisingly cheaper for a lot of designer fragrances. I only tend to buy my Hermes from there, which is considerably cheaper (example: Terre d' Hermes Parfum £70 retail; £53 ariport price). That's both Terminal 1 and 5.

    Recently, I also discovered that Terminal 4 had Tom Ford too, including the private blend. Those retail for £120 I think in the large department stores in London, but were around £93-95 for the same size bottle at Terminal 4.

    Some non-UK airports, e.g. Athens, have local fragrance names sold there and these can be had at a good price. For Athens I have Korres in mind. Not the biggest brand around, I know, but still good enough to get a decent price there.

Similar Threads

  1. Duty Free at LAX (Los Angeles Int'l Airport)
    By TheAttorney in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 9th May 2014, 02:47 PM
  2. Germany Airport Duty-Free
    By xmen in forum Germany
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th April 2009, 11:13 PM
  3. Duty free help....
    By emes in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th June 2008, 02:48 PM
  4. Duty Free Spree/Favorite Airport for a Fragrance Binge
    By Kevin Guyer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24th February 2007, 02:22 AM
  5. Duty free
    By af1snaikboi in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th April 2006, 03:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •