Code of Conduct

Default Airport Duty Free

Is it true that the price of fragrance in Airport is cheaper than usuall?
    Where is the best place to buy fragrance? I mean the cheapest one and guaranteed.

Default Re: Airport Duty Free

With Duty Free you need to be travelling, you cannot just go to the airport and buy. Most airports have the usual suspects which are widely available at department stores. Sometimes houses will release exclusives to duty free, like Guerlain with Vetiver Femme or their Cherry Blossom(the latter then appeared on counter in the AA range).
    DONNA

How if we are on a transit?

the Duty Free shopping area is usually in the boarding gates area. So when on transit you will be in the duty free / boarding lounge area and will have access to shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    the Duty Free shopping area is usually in the boarding gates area. So when on transit you will be in the duty free / boarding lounge area and will have access to shopping.
    Is the price there cheaper than usuall?

Duty-free is a bit of a misnomer. Duty is a tax on imports--when you bring something into a country. However, there is really no duty on fragrance any more. If you are boarding an international flight, or in transit, you can usually avoid the local sales tax. But the DFS chain still has pretty high prices. If you are lucky, a duty-free shop may have some unusual selections, but usually they don't have much that is interesting--at least at airports in Japan. So, don't count on super cheap prices, just a break on local tax, and it may take some luck to find something you want. At least it gives you something to do while you are waiting for your plane.

Quote Originally Posted by tjokrohw View Post
    Is the price there cheaper than usuall?
    Dont know. I dont buy from DF.

Duty Free is only accessible when departing. And if you wait till departure to buy the perfume at an assumed discount, you may not find it. Better off just buying it from the market.

So where do you guys buy fragrance usually?

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Duty Free is only accessible when departing. And if you wait till departure to buy the perfume at an assumed discount, you may not find it. Better off just buying it from the market.
    I see.

Quote Originally Posted by tjokrohw View Post
    So where do you guys buy fragrance usually?
    Perfume boutique, if available in UAE or department store. Usually a combination of the two but luckily there are boutiques for most major and niche brands now.

Of course, the first choice is a buy or swap from a fellow BNer! Next, on-line discounters usually have the best prices. Drawbacks: they may not have what you want, and you probably have to use a credit card. (In Japan, COD is still common for on-line purchases!!) Next, check brick-and-mortar stores. Prices are high, but you may be able to score samples. And this is usually the only way to get the newest stuff or most high-end. For samples not available in stores, you can check Perfumed Court or BNers like MFJ that sell decants. Keep looking, don't disregard any of the alternatives!

Quote Originally Posted by tsuzumi View Post
    Duty-free is a bit of a misnomer. Duty is a tax on imports--when you bring something into a country. However, there is really no duty on fragrance any more. If you are boarding an international flight, or in transit, you can usually avoid the local sales tax. But the DFS chain still has pretty high prices. If you are lucky, a duty-free shop may have some unusual selections, but usually they don't have much that is interesting--at least at airports in Japan. So, don't count on super cheap prices, just a break on local tax, and it may take some luck to find something you want. At least it gives you something to do while you are waiting for your plane.
    This is true

It seems to me that prices in the duty-free shops are actually higher than for the same items in brick-and-mortar shops in the country where the airport is located. This is true even in European countries where VAT is included in the shop price. I suppose it's like everything else in the airport, high rent and high overhead for the vendors, as well as a bored and captive audience. Moreover, the duty-free perfume selection is usually limited to the most common commercial perfumes. As others have said, the best bargains are to be found through private sales and online discounters.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Basenotes Institution

Quite true Doc Elly.
    I think the only time I get a pretty good savings is with currency conversion at an airport in re. to buying a fragrance. ie. if the USD is stronger than the currency of the country whose aiport I am at.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

l would say duty-free shops are definitely worth investigating, as they often have items "on sale" at knockdown prices, & you may just be lucky enough to find something you want at a sizeable discount. This happened to me just this weekend at Athens airport; l'd recently tried Estee Lauder's Brasil Dream & decided l liked it enough to buy it. l looked for it in the duty-free shop & couldn't find it, so l mentioned it to the SA who went off & found me the 2 last bottles in the sale at a cost of 27 euros each!! Of course l snapped them up, & l was so chuffed with my bargain that l treated myself to a "travel exclusive" set of Bulgari Jasmin Noir; a 50ml bottle, purse spray & body wash for 65 euros; still good value in my book!

You may also find it a good opportunity to sniff fragrances that aren't available in your locale; in my case the Estee Lauder Private Collection line, Tom Ford, Hermes & the Acqua Allegorias by Guerlain. l thoroughly enjoyed my sniffathon, & it certainly made the 3 hour wait between flights much more bearable!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Befores the 1980s most countries used to implement imports substitution economic policies, so imported goods were either non-available or taxed heavily. Thus, duty free shops carried non-taxed sumptuary goods: jewelry, confectionery and chocolates, alcohol, tobacco and cosmetics, later electronic gear, and finally, other shopping goods.

Now, with globalization and the extinction of import tariffs, duty - free shops lost their original appeal. Add to this fact global pricing policies - ie. Chanel won't admit retailers carrying their goods under different pricing policies than their own, regardless of the market where are they sold.

So, no, you won't get better deals in duty free shops, unless there are special promotions. I'd suggest you to check prices in well known on-line perfume stores (there is plenty of information on them here in Base Notes) or here, at the Base Notes market place.

Last time I flew, at the end of last year, I was able to get -

La Nuit De L'Homme EdP - at the airport departures, at a time when you could only get it in London in the UK.

Bleu De Chanel - during the flight, for GBP 32.00 against a list price of around GBP 43.00

So, whilst I agree with what the others say, if you have some specifics on your shopping list (as I did) then I don't think the airports should be dismissed out of hand.
    Last edited by JohnTheBeginner; 26th May 2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: punctuation

I typically check out the selection and pricing on the way to my destination, and pick up what I want on the way back.

Gives me time to make a more informed decision and saves me having to lug the bottle(s) around during the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Elly View Post
    It seems to me that prices in the duty-free shops are actually higher than for the same items in brick-and-mortar shops in the country where the airport is located. This is true even in European countries where VAT is included in the shop price.
    Not everywhere though. Here in Norway for example Chanel retails for maybe 50% more than in our Duty Frees.

If you check your country's prices and the Duty Free shop's prices on beforehand (many countries have online "stores"), it might be easier to know what to look for. You can also find quite neat sets, both mini sets and gift sets, at the Duty Free that isn't available here at least.

You can buy Duty Free at arrival also, but sometimes the shop is smaller than departure.
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l would say duty-free shops are definitely worth investigating, as they often have items "on sale" at knockdown prices, & you may just be lucky enough to find something you want at a sizeable discount. This happened to me just this weekend at Athens airport; l'd recently tried Estee Lauder's Brasil Dream & decided l liked it enough to buy it. l looked for it in the duty-free shop & couldn't find it, so l mentioned it to the SA who went off & found me the 2 last bottles in the sale at a cost of 27 euros each!! Of course l snapped them up, & l was so chuffed with my bargain that l treated myself to a "travel exclusive" set of Bulgari Jasmin Noir; a 50ml bottle, purse spray & body wash for 65 euros; still good value in my book!

You may also find it a good opportunity to sniff fragrances that aren't available in your locale; in my case the Estee Lauder Private Collection line, Tom Ford, Hermes & the Acqua Allegorias by Guerlain. l thoroughly enjoyed my sniffathon, & it certainly made the 3 hour wait between flights much more bearable!
    This is very true - I wouldn't dismiss "Duty Free" right away; it's worth looking into. First off, let me say that I put the term "duty free" in quotes as it's not officially duty free here in Europe. The EU did away with that a few years ago. However, Heathrow airport (London) is surprisingly cheaper for a lot of designer fragrances. I only tend to buy my Hermes from there, which is considerably cheaper (example: Terre d' Hermes Parfum £70 retail; £53 ariport price). That's both Terminal 1 and 5.

Recently, I also discovered that Terminal 4 had Tom Ford too, including the private blend. Those retail for £120 I think in the large department stores in London, but were around £93-95 for the same size bottle at Terminal 4.

Some non-UK airports, e.g. Athens, have local fragrance names sold there and these can be had at a good price. For Athens I have Korres in mind. Not the biggest brand around, I know, but still good enough to get a decent price there.