Code of Conduct

Default whitening toothpaste

Does anyone know brands of EFFECTIVE whitening toothpastes that I can buy?

Default Re: whitening toothpaste

Swissdent is very highly regarded but not sure if you can get it in Canada?...

http://shop.swissdent.com/toothpaste...eme-100ml.html

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Whitening agents, in concentrations that don't injure your soft mouth tissues, work best as time-of-contact agents. Toothpastes that claim to whiten teeth are weak at best due to their limited contact time with enamel.

Abrasive components of toothpastes will remove some or all surface stains sooner or later with regular use but won't work on intrinsic color or certain normal staining of enamel. That is best treated by repeated 1 hour or more contact by whitening agents such as carbamide peroxide in an appropriate concentration. Custom made bleaching trays (dentist made) with built-in space on the front of teeth for extra whitening agent are designed to hold this material with minimal leakage in or out for extended periods of time (created by making seals at the gingival margins of teeth in the working cast for the tray material to fill and act as a gasket) and work very well for most people. This allows the bleaching agent to sit long enough undiluted by saliva to actually penetrate and bleach the outer 1-2 ml of enamel thus making the color of teeth lighter.

Bleaching time/number of applications to desired whitness or to limits of bleaching success varies from individual to individual.
    Last edited by kbe; 17th May 2011 at 08:23 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Whitening agents, in concentrations that don't injure your soft mouth tissues, work best as time-of-contact agents. Toothpastes that claim to whiten teeth are weak at best due to their limited contact time with enamel.

Abrasive components of toothpastes will remove some or all surface stains sooner or later with regular use but won't work on intrinsic color or certain normal staining of enamel. That is best treated by repeated 1 hour or more contact by whitening agents such as carbamide peroxide in an appropriate concentration. Custom made bleaching trays (dentist made) with built-in space on the front of teeth for extra whitening agent are designed to hold this material with minimal leakage in or out for extended periods of time (created by making seals at the gingival margins of teeth in the working cast for the tray material to fill and act as a gasket) and work very well for most people. This allows the bleaching agent to sit long enough undiluted by saliva to actually penetrate and bleach the outer 1-2 ml of enamel thus making the color of teeth lighter.

Bleaching time/number of applications to desired whitness or to limits of bleaching success varies from individual to individual.
    wow...thanks for the informative post. so basically toothpaste is worthless for whitening purposes?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Not worthless as daily use will eventually lighten teeth somewhat, but very much slower and less effective than dedicated systems.

Hillaire

kbe, can you please tell us which OTC whitening trays/ strips you'd recommend for at-home tooth whitening for those of us who cannot afford the dentist kind? Do any brands stand out as 'better'?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I like the results I see from Crest Whitestrip products for the money. Crest 3D Whitestrips Professional Tooth Whitening Kit seems to be available discounted to about $30 and is reasonably effective for the type when applied correctly.

I have had pretty good results with Rembrandt Premium Whitening Mint Toothpaste with Fluoride.

In Sweden an anti-age toothpaste has been released reasently. It is whitening, but takes care of more aspects of wellbeeing in the mouth, too! If anything like that comes to US, try it! It is really pleasant to use!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L┤Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Opalescence or Rembrandt. I've had great results with both of them.

I use Marvis (the jasmine) and am very happy with it. So is my dentist and his assistant (for removing tartar biannually) since I have considerably less tartar now apart from 'naturally' looking white teeth.

Here is something that has helped whiten my teeth by reducing tartar build-up. It's called oil pulling. It seems a little strange at first, but you get used to it, and it makes your teeth and gums feel great. I had a great dental checkup recently, with improved gums (due to this, I'm convinced). I use organic cold pressed sesame oil. They recommend you do it for 20 minutes, I think, but I do ten. I highly recommend this practice.

http://oilpulling.com/

Hillaire

WOW! That's far out! I am totally intrigued, I want to try that.

I hope you do try it, Hillaire. It works. I think you will be very pleased with the results.

Thanks lilybelle, I plan to start very soon, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Thanks lilybelle, I plan to start very soon, too.
    Yay! It seems weird at first, but you will get used to it, and then you will enjoy the feeling afterward.

One thing that is very effective as well as cost-effective for tooth whitening is plain ol' H2O2. I get the food-grade 35% and dilute it to about 3%. I brush my teeth and then gargle/swish with the solution. I've never had a cavity in my life and never had any problems.

Hillaire

Well, I oil-pulled twice now, and I cannot say it left my teeth at all 'smooth' and squeaky clean like brushing does. But my tongue was really pink afterward and not at all coated, and that was magic to me considering the lack of elbow grease. I also noticed my tongue was a bit sore from the effort (guess it was flabby), and the process really chapped my lips, which I cannot figure out. I am not sure I like it as much as my good old sonicare and sea salt. But I think I'll do it some more (less often) to remove toxins

I started oil-pulling this morning. So good you gave me that kick in my butt, lilybelle, because I had heard of it before and had felt already this was something I should adopt. It was a good first time for me. I have a feeling of 'clean' and 'smooth' now.

5 days later I can say I am very happy with it... my mouth feels super-smooth and clean and I can also vouch for its detox abilities.

Larimar, that's great! I'm so glad it's working for you. I can't imagine not doing it now...it doesn't feel right if I don't oil pull for a day or so. I don't know whether it has been detoxing - no symptoms here really - but my mouth, gums and teeth feel great, and I had a good dental checkup too. My teeth are a bit whiter. Not blindingly white like bleached, but definitely lighter with less tartar.

Hillaire, if you brush after oil pulling it should leave your teeth feeling very clean, shiny, smooth. It takes some getting used to. Your tongue muscle will get sore if you pull too vigorously. Maybe slow down a little and go easy? Hmm...I can't explain the chapping. What kind of oil are you using? I use organic cold pressed sesame oil and it works well for me, no weird reactions.

Ellemartini, I sometimes brush wtih hydroden peroxide diluted with water, too. Sometimes I brush with Listerine.

After oil pulling I rinse with warm salt water.

Lilybelle, thanks for recommending oil pulling. I may try this.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

hello,
    Currently I'm using Fluorodine Oxygen White toothpaste by Multibrands. It is awesome.....due to regular intake of coffee, my teeth got some yellowish stains....those are worse!!
    One of my friend recommended me Fluorodine oxygen white toothpaste....it works!!!
    Suggest you to get this toothpaste, before teeth get worse yellowish stains..

Cheers,
    Robert