Code of Conduct

Default best orientals and floral orientals for a man (vintage preferably) ?

Hi there, just as the title suggests, I am looking to find some orientals or floral orientals for a man, mostly likely I am looking for something originally marketed to women anywhere between 1920's to 1970's, possibly 80's also perhaps some leather scents? or anything sweet really that you think I might like. I will include a list of scents I already have and greatly enjoy...

Tabac Blond
    Creed Royal English Leather
    Cartier Baiser du Dragon
    Lutens Arabie
    Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Al Haramain - Khaltat Al Muluk
    Bond 9 - Nouveau Bowery
    By Killian - most of them
    Chanel - Coco Chanel (pre 2003ish)
    Creed - Tabarome
    Chanel - Bois des Iles
    Jean Desprez - Versailles pour homme
    Patou - pour homme
    Jean Desprez - Bal a versailles
    Creed - Bois du Portugal
    Dior - Eau Noire
    Hermes - Caleche

My latest purchase was Amouage Silver for women, but I don't really like it, I just bought it to have something a bit more subtle for the office

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am looking forward to doing some vintage shopping

Default Re: best orientals and floral orientals for a man (vintage preferably) ?

update: just pulled the trigger on a vintage Hermes Caleche EDT on ebay

Default Re: best orientals and floral orientals for a man (vintage preferably) ?

Vintage:

No Guerlains on your list?!
    Have you tried Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue? Shalimar parfum de toilette (80's) is particularly sweet and musky. You really can't top these. Habit Rouge is very good, too, if you can do "powdery".

Habanita - I find this too powdery for my own tastes, but a great fragrance nonetheless.

Of vintage feel:

24 Faubourg by Hermes is a great honeyed floriental in the classical mold.

Moderns of note, in no particular order:

Costume National 21 is a good modern anise floriental. Marketed as unisex.

MPG's Ambre Precieux is good if you like Ambre Sultan. A bit redundant, actually, but I think there's an animalic edge that the Lutens is missing.

Opium (the old stuff) is a resinous floriental. Perhaps a bit dated, but still good.

Lou Lou by Cacharel is a great jasmine/amber fragrance. May be a bit hard for a man to pull off in North America.

Hypnotic Poison by Dior. Almond anise floriental with a rather masculine musky dry-down.

That's all I can think of right now. All are sweet, all are "pour homme-able" IMO.
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 18th May 2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Habanitas Powderii
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

l'heure bleu I find is too similar to creed's royal english leather to justify owning them both

I actually went to guerlain after work today and tried apres l'ondee (which I have liked before) and chamade.

The new edt version for apres l'ondee just didn't do it for me at all (I had only tried the vintage parfum), and I am assuming chamade would have the same issue

I quite liked the drydown of chamade though! wasn't too crazy about the top!

Wow, some gems and no Shalimar?

hi D4n13l, tried Shalimar after I got off from work today, in the parfum concentration (wow @ debenhams for having the parfum as the tester!)

didnt like it on initial application... warmed up to it alot into the drydown but its still not for me

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    hi D4n13l, tried Shalimar after I got off from work today, in the parfum concentration (wow @ debenhams for having the parfum as the tester!)

didnt like it on initial application... warmed up to it alot into the drydown but its still not for me
    The vintage is a lot better, but the current its not that bad...

Cacharel Gloria is another gem that come to my mind.

Balmain Ambre Gris. A rich gourmand oriental.

Boucheron Trouble in the EDP or extrait. Floral and vanilla, with a touch of cedar.

Creed Royal Delight. A floral/jasmine touched with vanilla and leather.

Habit Rouge in the eau de parfum. Rich with citrus, leather and vanilla with agarwood.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

You've got me intereste din the boucheron, I loved jaipur and I'm a fan of cedar

the other three I've tried, no luck

anyone have any ideas for 20s 30s 40s 50s perfumes that I might look into ?

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    l'heure bleu I find is too similar to creed's royal english leather to justify owning them both
    Wow, do not get this connection at all. That said, I'll second the recommendation of Cacharel's Lou Lou, floriental, BIG time!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

What about these?

Bijan Black Bijan Woman and Bijan
    Fendi Asja
    Caron Aimez Moi
    Rochas Alchimie
    Nina Ricci Capricci
    Laura Biagiotti Venezia
    Givenchy Ysatis

All orientals, all worth looking into.

Also, definitely try the Lou Lou by Cacharel, it's really nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Wow, do not get this connection at all. That said, I'll second the recommendation of Cacharel's Lou Lou, floriental, BIG time!
    lheure bleu and royal english leather are both from l'origan DNA

I'm definitely excited about this cacharel now! I have only known them for anais anais so its interesting to see what their floriental will smell like. Should I just ebay it blind ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a strange case of serendipity today. I had been trying on some Bourbon Vanilla concrete from Eden Botanicals and didn't really have enough of it (tiny sample) to smell it, and it has also dried out. Then a while later I got out my sample of Apres L'Ondee that I had been given earlier this month and put a very, very small amount on the same wrist as the vanilla. Having forgotten about the vanilla because it was so faint, I at first thought that AL'O had a strong vanilla note! Which I found delicious!! Then I realized that somehow the AL'O might have been working synergistically with the vanilla. So I put some Apres L'Ondee on the other wrist and sure enough, it was not nearly as delicious. Consequently, I think I just stumbled upon a way of wearing AL'O that for me actually enhances it. Odd eh? So, what the hell, try some Bourbon Vanilla on and overlay that with Apres L'Ondee and tell me what you think.

P.S. However, AL'O all by itself is certainly worth your evaluation. I don't find it too "feminine" but then my nose is pretty much into sweets. And I hate most masculines.
    Last edited by Saintpaulia; 26th May 2011 at 09:32 PM.
    "Classics aren't classics because they seem old but because they seem always new". Tania Sanchez