Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default JAR Parfums "pyramides"?

Hello everyone,
    Do you know the perfume notes of the JAR Parfums?

Thanks!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: JAR Parfums "pyramides"?

Filomele- welcome to Basenotes !
    Unfortunately, JAR do not release the notes of their parfums or talk of them - we just have to play the guessing game with them . I'll try a little but no promises............

Jarling- almondy ,helitrope, abit of carnation maybe ,abit of musk maybe ???
    Diamond Water- carnation, tuberose, coconut
    Golconda- carnation, jasmine ?????
    Jardenia - who knows ????
    I can't say much for the others though I have smelt them.

Bolt of Lightning and Ferme Tes Yeux- very gorgeous, mysterious but I really couldn't say what's in them . Maybe other Basenoters could try better. Scent ??? Where are you buddy ??? Rogalal , Gaia ?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I dont think that they issue any profiles for their perfums , the user is supposed to make their own judgement or something like that anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I dont think that they issue any profiles for their perfums , the user is supposed to make their own judgement or something like that anyways
    What he said. They're not published.

I'd probably be suckered into one, but their ridiculous exclusivity to one department store will forbid that. Oh well fancypants JAR.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Jar is extremely ridiculous. They're taking their exclusivity game a little too far. I honestly did not like any of them, they're neither pleasant nor unique in an interesting way. So yeah...forget about finding pyramids...

I asked the SA and was told 'we don't discuss notes' and all that stuff. I do understand they're trying to change the way things are done.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Caf Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Blog Entries

I've been in NYC too long to fall for this type of thing...I actually find it tedious...Hello, it's perfume...
    Last edited by Fleurine; 18th May 2011 at 03:22 AM.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    I've been in NYC too long to fall for this type of thing...I actually find it tedious...Hello, it's perfume...
    I think it's misleading people more than they already misleaded when it comes to perfume. Notes don't represent the ingredients of a perfume, but rather guidelines, or descriptions of the fragrance. Not "talking" about them is tedious....But yeah....let's face it, there are many rich people out there who want to buy anything with exclusive written on it. Also, I must admit there is a lot of pressure to buy JAR on the spot, they don't discus the notes, they don't give out samples...nothing, it's only available in the store and if you're not in one of the few cities that sells it you might feel pressured to grab one while you can.

It's an interesting experiment as well for perfumes to be presented by nothing other than an arbitrary name, and give the person sniffing the freedom to judge what it smells like. But many people like to intellectualize perfume. From my experience, they do smell a little fancy, nowhere near as clive christian, amouage, puredistance and the like. None of them had "personality" as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Jar is extremely ridiculous. They're taking their exclusivity game a little too far. I honestly did not like any of them, they're neither pleasant nor unique in an interesting way. So yeah...forget about finding pyramids...
    I don't like this attitude either, Ekove. Trying to be secretive and "artsy."

I will not buy from Nasomatto for this reason, as well. No notes, I will not buy. When I order a meal, I like to know at least what I am getting: chicken in a cream sauce with wine, tofu and vegetable in curry. I am not a person who will order a "secret" meal and eat it in the dark. This is especially true for an expensive meal.

Disclosing notes in no way detracts from the scent itself. Why all the secrecy? The disclosing of notes acts to intrigue me.

At least with their jewellery you can see what you are getting: an emerald cabochon surrounded by sapphires, etc.

Silliness. A gimmick. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    ROTFL! I agree, Fleurine. Well said!
    Last edited by Primrose; 18th May 2011 at 04:01 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Here I am Mimi! Your observations were spot on with mine as well! I've tried yanking some ingredients from the SA's both in Paris and New York and I've had little success. All I know, is that the nose knows what the nose knows LOL! Well anyhow, these are my observations:

Jarling: At first sniff, heliotrope galore. Kind of like a cousin to Apres L'ondee. I've actually had the privellege of smelling the long-gone Apres L'ondee pure parfum and Jarling reminded me much of it. I guess because the parfum is more gourmand (ala L'heure Bleu) and isn't as floral with the violets. Mimi I think you might be right with the white musk; it'll give it a plush feeling.
    Jardenia: Indolic gardenia, very reminiscent of Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia but not as sharp and ambery in the drydown. Instead of the amber in VG, I think Jardenia utilizes an animalic musk in the base that is hauntingly human-like (same found in Ferme tes Yeux).
    Ferme Tes Yeux: This is the one I bought. At first sniff...hello vintage Femme!!! That's immediately what it reminded me off! That raw leathery, real civet topnote is unmistakable. Even the SA's eyes lit up, when I immediately recognized the connection. He said "I was on to something!" But FtY has way, way more civet and then the indoles come rushing in. Full on linden blossom, jasmine and orange blossom (extremely indolic!), soaked in beeswax and then covered in extra civet for good measure! This stays this way for hours on end, until you reach the drydown which is very...ummm..."human". Love, love, love.
    Golconda: I've smelt both versions, the vintage and the modern and they smell very similar. Spicy carnations. Cloves. Nothing much to add here. I have CDG Carnation which fulfills what Golconda does at a fraction of the price. FYI, the Frederic Malle "Rubrim Lily" candle and home fragrance diffuser oil smells exactly like Golconda.
    Diamond Water: A carnation floral not a soliflore like Golconda. Similar to Caron's Bellodgia or CC No. 1 for Women. Carnation, rose, a bit of clove, some sandalwood I guess. Very pretty and conventional for a JAR.
    Bolt of Lightning: Essentially this is tuberose absolute diluted and white musk added. But the absolute is very complex lending notes ranging from cardboard, camphor, berries, grass, mildew, rust and yes...tuberose! Must sniff to experience!
    Shadow: This is the one that was discontinued, then apparently it is going to be rereleased soon. A very odd pickle note is what you smell first along with something very minty and spicy like clove. Camphor is also accompanied with these notes. I also smell a lot of sandalwood as it develops and a very sharp, bitter base of oakmoss towards the drydown. Probably the weirdest of the bunch and the one I'm looking most forward to purchasing!

Basenotes Institution

Hi Scent ! Great post. I admit I am a sucker for JAR.

I knew I forgot something ! I smelt cloves in Jarling's drydown and of course in Golconda and Diamond Water.
    I felt Jarling dried down like a cousin of Diamond Water.
    I think Joel Rosenthal is very fond of his carnation and animalic notes !
    Bolt of Lightning and Ferme Tes Yeux- compelling and mysterious. Not at all offensive though the notes you've figured out sound scary.

Jardenia is way and above the best gardenia ever. I wish Suga were here to join in this thread.

I hope to smell the new Shadow 'some day ' !

You are not allowed to know the notes, Mr. Rosenthal doesnt reveal them. I quote the SA at the Paris boutique.

Not a positive selling point, my response. Touche if I may say so myself.

Sur la Plage

I don't know or care what the notes are of Jardenia - I just love it!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Im still gagging to try Jarling , its like a great mythical beast that I aspire to trying !

How much are they by the way? I was too afraid to ask at new york...not that I liked any of them, nor have access to sample them a few more times.

Basenotes Institution

They are damned expensive- upwards of USD $ 400++ .Over and above that for a few of them....

Basenotes Member

In - 30ml pure parfum

Diamond Water - 285
    Ferme Tes Yeux - 345
    Golconda - 325
    Jardenia - 290
    Jarling - 320
    Bolt of Lightning - 530

considering the way the SA was talking about the house, I expected them to be much more. Still outrageous for what you're getting. Reading Reviews however, I'm curious to try Jardenia again, to smell that "human musk" note.

Basenotes Institution

Ah, JAR parfums are beautiful and very well made . They last ages on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    considering the way the SA was talking about the house, I expected them to be much more. Still outrageous for what you're getting. Reading Reviews however, I'm curious to try Jardenia again, to smell that "human musk" note.
    They really do need sufficient testing before making a purchase because they are quite difficult. I ordered from samples from TPC (when they used to ship to Qatar! BOOOO!!) and tried them "literally" every day for two weeks. I went in and knew exactly what I wanted. The drydown of Jardenia is probably the most animalic I've ever smelt. It really does smell like unwashed human parts LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Ah, JAR parfums are beautiful and very well made . They last ages on skin.
    Yes Mimi! Ferme Tes Yeux lasts through a shower and can be smelt "if faintly" over 24 hours later. I sent Suga a decant of Ferme tes Yeux a while ago. Hopefully he can enlighten us with a review soon

I love all the JARs I've tried. It's a deplorably pretentious house, but where it counts; the smell, they shine.

I've only tried three, with Jarling and Golconda thanks to Mimi. Scent was very kind to send Ferme Tes Yeux to me, but unfortunately it's stuck in Canada and I'm stuck here. I greatly look forward to sampling it on my return!

Jarling is the easiest for me to describe. It's heliotrope and almond, anise playing a role at the front and civet becoming more noticeable in the base, a bit of white musk in there I think, too. It's very lovely, but quiet.

Golconda is a clovey carnation matched with a dark, fruity, slightly rubbery jasmine. It's perhaps the most normal smelling of the ones I've tried, but it's still vying with InCarnation for my favorite carnation. Very nice.

Jardenia is a haunting, nocturnal gardenia. This one is hardest to describe, but I'd describe it as a very true, realistic gardenia with certain animalic-honey quality in the background. Still the closest fragrance to a real gardenia I know.

Given the quietness of Jarling and the other options I have for Golconda, neither are on my to-get list, despite their quality. Jardenia, on the other hand, I could happily bathe in, and dream of all the time.

Does anyone know if these are available anymore in NYC. I did a search and I can't find any info. I know at one point they were at Bergdorf's.

I'm sampling Jarling now - as I'm interested in almond/anise/heliotrope combo. I'm liking this quite a bit. I've got Etro's heliotrope on the other hand and it smells like dry powdery cardboard in comparison. Jarling is much stronger, I also accidentally tasted it... it tastes kinda good.

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    Does anyone know if these are available anymore in NYC. I did a search and I can't find any info. I know at one point they were at Bergdorf's.
    Didn't come across them at Bergdorfs in my last visit there last week, but don't know for sure.

Blog Entries

Call Bergdorf and ask them to connect you to the JAR boutique. I had not heard of their moving, but who knows?

There is a new JAR fragrance called Bed of Roses. It's supposedly a soft rose, no edges, and with a chocolate facet. The description of rose + chocolate immediately brought to mind 100% love. It's 'supposedly' limited to 50 bottles.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineLover View Post
    There is a new JAR fragrance called Bed of Roses. It's supposedly a soft rose, no edges, and with a chocolate facet. The description of rose + chocolate immediately brought to mind 100% love. It's 'supposedly' limited to 50 bottles.
    Oh very interesting! Other info?

I stopped at the JAR store last week. Prices have increased somewhat (as if they had been cheap). Most expensive is Golconda, EUR 630. Then Eclair (as referred to by the SA. it only has a bolt of lightning on the bottle, and it is referred here this way), 600 EUR. The others I think were 20 EUR or so more expensive.

I think there was also a Bed of roses, but in the middle of this olfactory experience I am mixing stuff up, so I cannot be sure. The frags are smelled from a plasticky, somewhat scary lump kept under glass. The SA removes the glass and you smell the full power. They are all extremely intense and striking, with a strong piercing quality that is quite startling. Many of them come off as very sweet or fruity, but in no way cloying or berry like. Again, intense and spicy.

Little to add to the previous comments. Jarling is an intense almond, veering on poison (cyanide is supposed to smell almondy after all). Assuming that they keep the heliotrope in the face of restrictions, it will be on my to buy list. Golconda does not come off primarily as oriental (as Turin said a few years back), but, as others have said here, a strongly spicy clove-carnation. Very strong, so LTs description of Joan Crawford cheekbone is clearly appropriate. And Eclair is the most intense tuberose ever, sort of like an amplified tubereuse criminelle, with the combination of many interesting facets, lots of camphor, but also sweet fruit, and more. I have never smelled tuberose absolute, so I do not know how different it is from that, but it is quite something, despite the price.

When in the perfume area of place vendome, it is certainly worth to stop by, sit down and smell. The prices, oh well...

cacio

cacio did you smell Ferme tes Yeux? That's the one I purchased 2 years ago. I get civet, linden blossom, musk and moss. Hedonist went craaaazy over it!

Thanks Cacio for the update, bummer about the price increases.

I tried Jarling because I wanted to know what heliotrope smelled like since IFRA banned it. The fragrance has been haunting me ever since.

Finally found the Jarling boutique in Bergdorf's today and tested them all... I don't recall seeing the new rose one though. My favorites were Jarling, Bolt of Lightening, and Shadow was interesting. I don't have much to add except I really enjoyed the experience of it all. The pretentious part didn't bother me a bit, you just have to go with it and succumb to the whole thing and enjoy. I looked at the jewelry and the jewelry book (fabulous) and so is the lightening mural. If anyone is interested in the jewelry, there is going to be a restrospective at the (I think at the Met) in 2013.

I'm totally a JAR fanboy now. Brian Chambers took me there while we were in NYC and I loved all of the fragrances.

Jarling smells strongly of tonka beans and bitter almond to me, creating a beautiful fragrance that is "jarringly" similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkEHUybEyXM

Which didn't turn me off from it in the slightest.

"The defensive secretion of the cockroach Eurycotis floridana was believed to contain only (E)-2-hexenal. However, we have shown it consists of 40 components, of which 30 were tentatively identified. (E)-2-Hexenal, (E)-2-hexenol and (E)-2-hexenoic acid represented approximately 98% of the organic phase. The other 2% included 10 aldehydes, 10 alcohols, four acids, two lactones and one ether. Four compounds are novel insect exudates: 3-ethoxyhexanal, 3-hydroxyhexanal, [(E)-1-pentenyl]-4-propyl-1,3-dioxane and 3-[(E)-2-hexenoxyl-hexanal. In addition to its well-known allomonal function, we have demonstrated that the defensive secretion also acts as an alarm pheromone."

Cockroach perfumery. Amazing!

Testing ferme Ted yeux now.

It's...animalic, slightly reminiscent of vomit but with a solid floral Note intertwining the vomit and civet. Mesmerizing.

for swap/sale:

It is indeed quite striking. I'm all for animalics, and ferme tes yeux has plenty. But it does seem a little too intense and acidic, without the plushness or warmth of things like MKK. It feels like it needs something else to balance or round out the animalics.

cacio

Basenotes Institution

Cacio - the price increase is quite huge for Golconda ! Is it the vintage version in the old style bottle or the new usual version in the teardrop bottle ?
    I think either Bolt /Eclair or Fermes Tes Yeux were the most expensive before ?

Last year in Paris, I was quoted > 600 euros for both Eclair (which I bought) and Golconda. The others were between 300 and 500 EUR, I forgot which one was more expensive. I don't know whether Golconda was in the special bottle or the teardrop one. Brian should know about the current prices.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I don't know or care what the notes are of Jardenia - I just love it!
    This is probably the way most of the clientele feel about their fragrances. They don't care what the notes are, just how good it smells.

I'm probably one of the very few Who was completely hooked by Jardenia at first then, after more than 10 hours spent together with the fragrance, I developed a strong aversion to its fresh cutted funghi porcini smell. I honestly respect the overall quality of this composition but I can't pull it off...

On the other hand, Eclair (aka Bolt Of Lightning) is out of this world...

Now, thanks to Brian Chambers, I received samples of several other JARs and I can't wait to have some free time to spend with them...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Yes it's only a paper moon....

JAR Shadow was certainly a new olfactive melange for my nose to behold.

The whole JAR line is great for the elite "I have this in my collection and can afford it, although I'm not really into the way it smells" crowd. Obscurity, the smell of effete hipster funerals. "You've never smelled it before, and you probably wouldn't like it"
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Basenotes Plus

I recently had the opportunity to spend some time in the JAR Boutique at Bergdorf's. Shadow was one of the few I enjoyed enough to consider a purchase at some point The other I really enjoyed is no longer, Bed of Rose's.

Attaching this to an old thread - but it's about JAR.

A couple of weeks ago, i went to the Metropolitan museum in NYC and saw an exhibition of jewels from JAR. Truly stunning. His theme seems to be flowers. Of course made of diamonds and other precious stones.
    http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions.../jewels-by-jar

I don't know what the prices might have been. They did sell there a very beautiful pair of (nonprecious) white gardenia shaped earrings. Except that they costed $4000 and appeared to be made of very light plastic. All of a sudden, his perfumes don't seem too expensive. For now, I'll stick to my Jardenia.

cacio