Code of Conduct

Default Bond No.9 Blind Buy recommendations?

Hey, guys.

I normally don't do blind buys but I'm getting a pretty good deal on Bond No.9. I'm not able to sample them first but the deal I'm getting is pretty compelling and if I don't like what I bought, I can probably sell them for a decent price.

I plan on buying two (or three).

One of them will be New Haarlem for sure.

For the other(s), I'm looking for something fresh and casual for warmer days or something woody/citrusy and subtle for officewear.

From what I gather, I'm considering Central Park, Riverside Drive or Bleecker Street but open to any others.

If you can, please include your best description with your recommendation.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Bokchoy; 19th May 2011 at 01:12 AM.

Default Re: Bond No.9 Blind Buy ecommendations?

You already saw it coming, but: I wouldn't blind buy Bonds. I find them to be one of the more disappointing houses. I have almost blind bought a few bottles, but luckily I bit the bullet and just bought samples. I didn't like any of them really.

And even ones like New Haarlem don't seem bottle worthy. Decant worthy, yes. But it's one of those fragrances most people would probably find too heavy for summer/spring/fall and can get tiring quick.

Bleecker street is alright. If you watch youtube reviews, or reviews in general, they sometimes say "I didn't like it at first but..." BUT BUT BUT nothing! If you don't like it within the first couple times, then don't convince yourself that you like it just because you blew money buying it!!

Riverside drive smells like vinegar on me on, and it's pretty lame. One review on BN (which was a thumbs down I think) got it right by saying something similar. All those thumbs up..meh... to each their own.

It doesn't matter what you blind buy because your taste will ultimately differ from those who might even SEEM like they like the same stuff as you. So blind buy whatever you want. What people or "experienced noses" say here isn't really going to matter on your end.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post
    Hey, guys.

I normally don't do blind buys but I'm getting a pretty good deal on Bond No.9. I'm not able to sample them first but the deal I'm getting is pretty compelling and if I don't like what I bought, I can probably sell them for a decent price.

I plan on buying two (or three).

One of them will be New Haarlem for sure.

For the other(s), I'm looking for something fresh and casual for warmer days or something woody/citrusy and subtle for officewear.

From what I gather, I'm considering Central Park, Riverside Drive or Bleecker Street but open to any others.

If you can, please include your best description with your recommendation.

Thanks in advance!
    I can understand you, cause i get sometimes in the same situation (a great deal with no time to sample first).

I can recommend you Riverside Drive for a safe office wear, its a nice green cologne.
    Refreshing and high quality.

The 3rd i can recommend Chinatown, if you can wear girlys colognes.
    Its fruity floral peachy and very feminine until the middle life. Then turn into a very nice unisex incence mossy fragrance. For me its the best from Bond, and a groundbraker. Outstanding bottle too!

Not a fan of this line either but if you're looking for something fresh for the office I'd recommend Wall Street and Riverside Drive (you gotta love cucumbers for Wall Street). Eau de New York is nice but it reminds me of Annick Goutal Eau de Hadrien. If you like Creed Silver Mountain Water you should try Bond No.9 Hamptons - they are very similar in the top notes. Bleecker Street is an extremely boring fragrance to me.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Millesime Imperial, Carolina Herrera Chic for Men, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

A lot of people will say here not to blind buy. But sometimes, we are in unavoidable situation and left with no choice but to do blind buys. I totallt understand that.

Brooklyn (if you like tam dao or philosykos, it has similar vibe)
    Bleecker street (smells like fresh cut grass)
    Wallstreet (cucumber fresh)
    West Side (boozy rose, elegant...similar to Noir de Noir)
    Chinatown (as d4n13L sais, a bit on the feminine...but it's good though. fruit bomb with vanilla)

Thanks for the advice, so far.

To be specific, the ONLY Bond No.9 vendor in Canada pulled it off the shelves, and is offering 40% off of each and every Bond. They are willing to hold the last New Haarlem for me for 24 hours. I don't want to pass this opportunity in case I love New Haarlem. I can't sample it because it isn't in my city, and I'm having it sent here to pickup.

G Man> I know, I know. I never buy blind and never advocate for it, and I hear that Bonds are generally very unsafe for blind buys. I've smelled New Haarlem on a friend maybe a year ago and I was pretty impressed, loved the coffee, but I don't remember much other than that. I've always wanted to sample it further, but never had the chance. I'm either going to hit the jackpot or I'm totally gonna regret it. No guts, no glory! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Anyone have any experience with Central Park? From what I've read, I think it might be the leading contender for the second Bond purchase.

Banned

"something woody/citrusy and subtle for officewear."

Silver Factory

teger....you need to get some insect repellant!!! lol

New Haarlem is the only blind buy to me. New Haarlem is a complement getter. The rest you need to smell prior. I think Bleecker Street smells like a hot swamp. I cannot tolerate it. I would wear Riverside Drive in a heart beat, the floral / pineapple is quite nice, but sample first. I think Brooklyn is a little too feminine floral for me, and it doesn't last too long on my skin (nothing special about brooklyn). Silver Factory is a very grape metallic fragrance, and it may be offensive to those around you. Chez Bond is alright, some compare it to Green Irish Tweed, but I find it kind of feminine also. Wallstreet has a cucumber melon note, so if you enjoy melon, try it out, but to me I find it feminine. Your best bet is to spend an afternoon at a Saks 5th, and sample every bond.

Default Re: Bond No.9 Blind Buy recommendations?

Bond's are really something you need to sample first. Just go on ebay and order a couple samples. New Haarlem would probably be a good blind buy if you like Rochas Man. Bond's have these weird notes that you either love or hate.

The nearest Saks 5th is a 15 hour drive from here. I live in Canada. I have 24 hours to pull the trigger (or choose not to) and there are no samples anywhere hahaha.

Riverside Drive and Central Park are the frontrunners, I would say.

Fragrances aside, Pineapple and Basil are two of my favorite smells (and tastes).

The nearest Saks 5th is a 15 hour drive from here. I live in Canada. I have 24 hours to pull the trigger (or choose not to) and there are no samples anywhere hahaha.

Fragrances aside, Pineapple and Basil are two of my favorite smells (and tastes).
    New Haarlem and Riverside Drive are pretty safe bets. Chinatown and Great Jones are also very good fragrances. Central Park is awful man.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Bond's are really something you need to sample first. Just go on ebay and order a couple samples. New Haarlem would probably be a good blind buy if you like Rochas Man. Bond's have these weird notes that you either love or hate.
    I loved Rochas Man when I sampled it, but I get no lasting power from it.

Bond No.9 seems to have legendary longevity.

New Haarlem is a good choice, I own it and like it.
    For your next bottle, Riverside Drive is a good option but consider Brooklyn for a citrus/woodsy. Dominate cedar I think.

Perfume Snob

You'll like New Haarlem then. Just don't plan on wearing it till winter, because it's damn near impossible to pull off in the summer. Very strong, rich, and long lasting. Definately a monster.

I loved Rochas Man when I sampled it, but I get no lasting power from it.

Bond No.9 seems to have legendary longevity.
    I have 3 Bonds and must say that quality and logevity are TOP, but not sillage monsters, though.

New Harleem. It reminds Rochas, yes, but Bonds offer is better. In fact as soon as I put my hands on Bond I sold my Rochas wich I found to shy.

West Side. As the fellow up here told you, boozy rose. Kinda of remind me of some rose wine or something. Indeed very unique. But wouldnŽt wear it at office. It has some frutiness to it also, maybe plum?

Success is a Job. Incense + bublegum (lol!). The more feminine of my three. This one has the strongest sillage for 3 hours than starts to settle down.

But longevity of the 3 goes 18hours+ on my skin. On Clothes they last a week!

Next IŽll buy will be Wall street, Chaz Bond and Little Italy. But when I find a good deal.
    Last edited by TheBuyer; 19th May 2011 at 02:27 AM.

Central Park, Chez Bond, Riverside Drive, Bleecker Street and Wall Street are all very good IMO!!!
    Gary

You'll like New Haarlem then. Just don't plan on wearing it till winter, because it's damn near impossible to pull off in the summer. Very strong, rich, and long lasting. Definately a monster.
    Haha, that's the plan.

I needed a really good winter night fragrance. Living in Canada, winters last 7-8 months so granted that I like New Haarlem as much as some people do, this might be a solid purchase.

I still want a fresh spring/summer daytime fragrance. Anything citrus, fougere, Green or aquatic. Something that smells refreshing, since my small collection is lacking in this area. I already have and love GIT, but its longevity is totally failing me. I understand that Bond No.9 is strong in this category with a few quality fragrances to choose from.

It's hard to find good, in-depth reviews on Central Park.

I've got a few I can recommend for Spring/summer as I have only 1 to 2 months where it's under 75 degrees which sucks if your into fragrances because the best ones are always cold weather scents.

Dsquared Rocky Mountain Wood - It was made to smell like the Canadian outdoors so this is right up your alley. Awesome fragrance.
    Dsquared Ocean Wet Wood - More on the aquatic side, but still retains the same woody note.
    Nightflight Joop! - Great drydown and very fresh. Good for all ages.
    Joop Jump! - Another great drydown. Smells similar to Allure Homme Sport. Fruity, but not overly done with a touch of sweetness.
    M7 Fresh - Orange mixed with Oud. Smells a little synthetic in the opening, but it last quite a while and a really good orange fragrance with the Oud giving it a masculine touch.

I don't spend a lot on summer fragrances because honestly the more expensive fragrances I've tried break down faster. There's something to be said about designer fragrances in the summer. But the niche market owns the winter.

Wall Street
    if you like the cucumber note and Chez Bond if you like sweet, green, tea, and violet notes.

I've got a few I can recommend for Spring/summer as I have only 1 to 2 months where it's under 75 degrees which sucks if your into fragrances because the best ones are always cold weather scents.

Dsquared Rocky Mountain Wood - It was made to smell like the Canadian outdoors so this is right up your alley. Awesome fragrance.
    Dsquared Ocean Wet Wood - More on the aquatic side, but still retains the same woody note.
    Nightflight Joop! - Great drydown and very fresh. Good for all ages.
    Joop Jump! - Another great drydown. Smells similar to Allure Homme Sport. Fruity, but not overly done with a touch of sweetness.
    M7 Fresh - Orange mixed with Oud. Smells a little synthetic in the opening, but it last quite a while and a really good orange fragrance with the Oud giving it a masculine touch.

I don't spend a lot on summer fragrances because honestly the more expensive fragrances I've tried break down faster. There's something to be said about designer fragrances in the summer. But the niche market owns the winter.
    Thanks again. I was considering one of the AdP Colonias for summer. Intensa or Assoluta, but still might get one of the Bonds instead. Reading about Central Park and Riverside Drive still intrigue me. Especially Central Park.

Riverside Drive
    has a dominant cumin note. So, I wouldn't blind buy it unless you like dirty violet fragrances, like Fahrenheit.

I recently bought 6 samples from Bond for $15 by calling them, but considering your time constraint thats not really an option.

I agree with some others New Harleem is not bottle worthy for me - more so decant worthy for specific occasions. Rochas man is more fun and less cloying.

If you want to do a Bond 9 Blind buy, I would go with Bleecker Street and Riverside Drive. I will go into specific detail in a following post, but I find most of the Bond fragrances that I have tried to be nothing especially special above designer Scent Wise, but love and appreciate the longevity and silliage.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 19th May 2011 at 05:49 AM.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

You guys might have talked me out of buying anything hahaha.

They only have New Haarlem in 100mL (3.3oz) size. Even at the discounted price, that's not much less thanthe 50mL (1.7oz) at retail price. New Haarlem sounds great but maybe not versatile enough for me to warrant buying 3.3oz.

I'll wuss out of getting New Haarlem. Whether I blind buy Central Park or Riverside Drive is to be determined, but I doubt I'll be taking advantage of this 40% Bond discount.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. You may have saved me hundreds hahaha.
    I'll test them out and if any are truly compelling, I'll wait for a tester via fragrancenet or buy a small bottle at retail price.

Neil4Speed: How easy was it to get the 6 samples from Canada? What did you pay for S&H?
    Last edited by Bokchoy; 19th May 2011 at 06:40 AM.

Just to join the discouraging side of the chorus, I don't think I'd pay even sixty percent for Bond. If someone ordered me to pick some, I'd go with New Haarlem and Chinatown, but I wouldn't buy them.

Pineapple you say? - Nuits De Noho .....deep vanillic gurmand with a very prominent pineapple note
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Neil4Speed: How easy was it to get the 6 samples from Canada? What did you pay for S&H?
    Hey there Bokchoy, it cost $15 grand total. The Samples took about 2 weeks to get to Cowtown.

Which HR is selling bond at 40% off??
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

None

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Bleeker Street
    Central Park
    Eau de NY
    Brooklyn
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I love this line.. and most of their stuff.. what are you wanting?

1) for formal occassions.. blind buying H O T Always is great. loads of compliments on this.. but it's formal.

2) for everyday.. easily Eau de New York is wearable DAILY and complimented 60% of the time I wear it.. by women..

my problem with Bond No. 9.. they are really expensive for what you get.. so blind buying anything is tough when it's $150+ .. you can get a tester for $130 or so, though.

I feel the same about Creed.. but you can grab samples of Creed from Perfumed Court.
    Last edited by blah114; 19th May 2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: underwear mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Hey there Bokchoy, it cost $15 grand total. The Samples took about 2 weeks to get to Cowtown.

Which HR is selling bond at 40% off??
    Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto. You have to call them directly, pay over the phone via CC and have them send to your store for pickup.

Small update: I didn't buy anything =(.

Thanks again to everyone.

Any reason? Of course it is always nice to be able to purchase from Holts directly, but at the standard price of $255 a bottle, even with the 40% off, it comes out to be roughly the standard price as buying from the states Grey Market.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Any reason? Of course it is always nice to be able to purchase from Holts directly, but at the standard price of $255 a bottle, even with the 40% off, it comes out to be roughly the standard price as buying from the states Grey Market.
    Short answer:
    I'd honestly rather pay full price for something I'm 100% sure of than pay 60% for something I'm 60% sure of.

Long answer:
    I'm very interested in New Haarlem (and to a lesser extent Central Park and Riverside Drive), but they only have 100 mL in stock ($144). Even if New Haarlem is as good as I had hoped, it's still not that versatile. I don't know what I'd do even with 100mL. I only need 50mL which can be had for about $125 at fragrancenet if I'm patient. If I want the big bottle, fragrancenet has 100mL testers for about the same price as Holt's discount price.

I know I'll have to wait for the ones that I want to be in stock, but New Haarlem is a winter fragrance anyway so I have plenty of time to wait.

I don't want to rush into a decision and blow $300 on two fragrances with any chance of being disappointed. I'm gonna do what you did, do that six samples for $15, and go from there.

Basenotes Plus

Good for you. I love me my blind buys but NOT this line- sample first.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Wall St. is the ideal office scent, IMO.
    Last edited by fragrance-fetish; 20th May 2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: *** typo ***

Bokchoy I think you made the right choice. Take it from a blind-buy Bond owner

+1 for Silver Factory

Quote Originally Posted by b3t0_1972 View Post
    +1 for Silver Factory
    Respectfully disagree. I ordered Silver Factory as one of my samples and found it to be the only one I absolutely couldn't stand - I washed it off!

And after that rave review... Anyone want to swap my Silver Factory Sample for a Chez Bond Sample? lol

Central Park..............wonderfully refreshing....................

+1 to West Side - the above descriptions are pretty much spot on, but it should also be noted that longevity is GREAT in addition to projecting nicely but not overpoweingly. I've only sampled about five different Bonds or so, but this one does not fit the Bond stereotype on here of copycat, synthetic, doesn't last long, boring, etc. This one is worth the price. Very classy, probably not the greatest for an office, but it could be done.