Code of Conduct

Default Wow! Bergamote 22

This week I finally visited the Le Labo NY store and what a great experience! I went in thinking I'd probably grab Rose 31, but I definitely wanted to give them all a sniff. Rose 31 is awesome, but with summer coming, I wanted something a bit fresher.

So I tried Bergamote 22 -- holy cow! The bergamot opening is fizzy and alive like a glass of fresh orange juice. So refreshing! It also felt a bit thicker than most citrus openings -- these top notes stick around. This progression is a bit unusual on me. After a couple hours the woods showed up and instead of melding together, the scent seemed to flucuate back and forth -- dry down/ opening/ dry down/ opening. Weird, but awesome. It did that for the entire progession. The dry down reminds me a bit of the woods from Creed's Spice and Woods, but in this case mixed with bergamot instead of apple.

The longevity is crazy! My other half wore it to work yesterday and left about 8am. When he returned late last night, about 11pm, I smelled it immediately. And it was still there this morning! Even this morning, I get that occilating pattern of opening/ dry down.

Love this stuff. Could be my summer (well, THIS summer's) Holy Grail. Any other fans out there? Anyone else experience that strange progression?
    Last edited by MikeNY; 19th May 2011 at 01:11 PM.

Default Re: Wow! Bergamote 22

I have not tried it. However, you certainly have moved me to order a sample of it.

This sounds interesting indeed. I have never delved into Le Labo and its about time I sample this house.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Personally was not wowed by Bergamote 22.

what a coincidence! im wearing the same today! i absolutely love. i have sampled Rose 31, Bergamote 22 and Vanille 44 so far. and im totally in awe of the latter two. rose 31 for some reason isnt working for me in due course of time. it feels great the first two times...

back to Bergamote.. i love it's heavy duty citrusy soapy accord v/s woody accords combination. perfect for summers.

I tried it last time I was at Liberty , was wowed by it and Fleur D'Oranger aswell

Basenotes Institution

This is one of the few Le Labo's that I have not smelled.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    This is one of the few Le Labo's that I have not smelled.
    Well what are you waiting for? Le Labo has samples for $5.00 each, shipping inclusive. I placed an order for a sample of this and a couple others around 940 this morning and have already gotten shipment confirmation!

Not a personal favorite, but it's terrific you found another scent that you enjoy. I love the excitement of finding a "hit", they're pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I tried it last time I was at Liberty , was wowed by it and Fleur D'Oranger aswell
    They are really great layered together.

I think this one and Vetiver 46 are very good scents. I still like Rose 31 the best, but one of these two will be my next Le Labo purchase.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I'm growing more and more fond of Le Labo.
    Their bergamot is the best IMO. I've tried the ones from The Different Company and Aqcua di Parma and they're ok compared to the outstanding LL one. I adore the Iris and "patchouli" perfumes. Needless to say rose 31 is the rose scent to own.

THIS and Rose 31 are my favorites from this house.

Great but horrible longevity,

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by slvrbckgorilla View Post
    Well what are you waiting for? Le Labo has samples for $5.00 each, shipping inclusive. I placed an order for a sample of this and a couple others around 940 this morning and have already gotten shipment confirmation!
    I tend to be a bit bored with bergamot prominent scents. Unless, of course, the bergamot is overdosed (like in Shalimar). Still, I hope to sample it one-of-these-days.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

I'm another Bergamote 22 fan. On me, it's all about the interplay between fruity citrus notes (more orange and grapefruit than bergamot on my skin) and a thick green vetiver (which I think is what everyone is smelling as woods). They then use a really clever mix of fruity resins in the base that simulates the fruity citrus in the top, thus creating that weird back and forth. This and Vetiver 48 (which pairs its vetiver with a disturbingly sexual decaying leather note) are my favorites from the line.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

For people who interested in this fragrance for awesome deal here is split link.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/246...44-50ml-190.27

Good luck..

This was the second scent from Le Labo that I ever bought, luckily, I kept the empty bottle, in case I ever refill it, HOWEVER, I much prefer Neroli36, my favorite summer scent, it's much more intense, and interesting , also Santal33, and Oud27, these three are my LL staples in my collection, I also love Patchouli24, but find it a lil difficult to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by ra08 View Post
    For people who interested in this fragrance for awesome deal here is split link.

Good luck..
    Thanks. Wasnt aware of the split. Jumped right in. Many thanks.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 20th May 2011 at 06:44 PM.

Totaly agree....bought this the other day from Liberty in London....the sales assitant described it as 'gin and tonique for the skin' in his gallic way. I have exactly the same alternating experience for me it tends to run away and hide for an hour or so but then come back strongly later on.

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this today from a sample (thanks Joe!).

First of all, I am not a big fan of bergamot so I was surprised at how much I liked the top notes. Either my nose is changing or this bergamot is different. Not sure. Whatever it is, I love the top notes, they smell very citric and not so 'heavy' as most bergamot top notes and there's a zingy quality to them. Refreshing. But all of a sudden there's a clearly noticeable vetiver note that pops up and instantly blends with the citrus so that overall this scent ends up more as a citrus vetiver and less as a bergamot prominent scent. The constant back-and-forth fluctuation between the two is fascinating without any of the harsh (salty, iodine-rich, dirt-y) effects of most vetiver scents.

I experienced what, it seems, many of you complained about - as soon as it wore on my skin for about 15-20 minutes it became almost imperceptible. I didn't apply too much (I only had 1 ml that I decanted into a plastic atomizer) but I think I got about 4-5 mini sprays all over my chest, arms and back of my neck and all of sudden it just went away. But now, almost 12 hours later, I can smell whiffs of it coming up my shirt so it seems to have sprung back to life and hastened me applying my (usual) Scent of The Afternoon.

After realizing how much I loved this, this morning, I think it is safe to say that I like my vetiver citrusy (I am a big fan of Guerlain Vetiver) and the Le Labo strikes a nice balance as a very wearable citrus vetiver, whereas the Guerlain some times, even in the EdC, can be Just Too Much.

Yes, it's overpriced for what it is. If it were about 20-30% lower in price I think most of Basenotes would go gaga over this one. It's lighter than Encre Noire but it still feels more substantial and complex than TF's Grey Vetiver. If I had to choose between this and the Guerlain, I would pick the Guerlain, but that's not a fair way to talk about it - it holds its own in the large field of vetivers and I have a feeling most of you Basenoters don't even consider it (I didn't) when thinking about a wearable, light, citric vetiver.

we need few more for the split!!
    SALE:Bond no.9, Armani Code Summer, Prada, Kenzo, Amouage...more!!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/310...o-Amouage-more!!