Code of Conduct
    AromiErotici

Default YSL pour Homme ( original) and Ho Hang similarities

Just received my vintage bottle of YSL (1971) and immediately upon spritzing it upon my hand, I was absolutely amazed at how it smelled ( almost) exactly like Balenciaga's 1971 release of Ho Hang.

The YSL has a more vetiver finish with the Balenciaga implementing some subtle oriental notes in the base. Other than minute differences, I'd be hard pressed to tell them apart.

I now have both and must say that if you already have one of these, don't bother to get the other ( unless you enjoy that sort of redundancy).

Default Re: YSL pour Homme ( original) and Ho Hang similarities

I have both also and never considered the similarity. Happy with both.

AromiErotici

What's your YSL bottle look like bro?

As soon I can locate it among the thousand plus in my collection I'll let you know, but if memory serves me right, it's kind of vertically rectangular with a brown spray top? maybe? I have had a full bottle of it for decades.

AromiErotici

Cool. The one I just recieved is a 73ml. black cap over a red base that sits atop the spray mechanism. I know it's vintage but I don't know "how" vintage it is.

The juice in this bottle smells identical to the original Ho Hang. I wonder if other formulations of YSL PH differ greatly?

I never noticed any similarity either. I used both for years and in their original formulations.
    Last edited by Renaissance_Man; 20th May 2011 at 02:20 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I own a mini of vintage YSL Pour Homme and I find it strikingly similar to Lacoste Original for Men. Would anyone else agree?

I've never smelled Ho Hang.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I own a mini of vintage YSL Pour Homme and I find it strikingly similar to Lacoste Original for Men. Would anyone else agree?

I've never smelled Ho Hang.
    Mike, I am starting to wonder if the bottle of YSL I received may be a bit "off". It truly smells exactly like Ho Hang and the juice has darkened considerably with age and possibly the way it has been stored all these years. I think I need to get some YSL that's more recent and do a comparison to see if there is a noticeable difference.

As far as LaCoste original, the similarities I get are in "feel" more than aroma.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Mike, I am starting to wonder if the bottle of YSL I received may be a bit "off". It truly smells exactly like Ho Hang and the juice has darkened considerably with age and possibly the way it has been stored all these years. I think I need to get some YSL that's more recent and do a comparison to see if there is a noticeable difference.
    I've never smelled Ho Hang either, but I would like to point out that YSL PH (even the modern version) smells rather dark to me in the first place. It's always possible that the vintage formulation was even darker - as is often the case.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I've never smelled Ho Hang either, but I would like to point out that YSL PH (even the modern version) smells rather dark to me in the first place. It's always possible that the vintage formulation was even darker - as is often the case.
    That's what I would assume also, but since I'm not familiar with YSL PH until this recent purchase and some others don't get the similarities that I am.......it has me wondering......

Or wait, did you mean it was darker in color or in smell? If color, it was probably age-related.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Or wait, did you mean it was darker in color or in smell? If color, it was probably age-related.
    The juice itself is dark which is understandable due to it's age. I also have no idea how well it was maintained by the previous owner.

With that said, it smells awesome for what it is, but it still smells so close to Ho Hang that it's almost indiscernable until the extended drydown. Now others have said they see no similarities, yet to me they are uncanny.

THIS.....is what makes me wonder about the integrity of what I just purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post

As far as LaCoste original, the similarities I get are in "feel" more than aroma.
    I think we are in a similar boat here. I just received Wednesday a vintage bottle of the YSL PH splash in 2.0 oz and I too questioned its age and quality 'at first'. I had initially wished I had a more recent YSL PH too to make a comparison, but I have to say, after two full days of wearing it, I am pleased beyond belief at this fragrance. I went back and read all the reviews I could find (which I did before purchasing it) and mentally noted some of the same things I now see. Some mentioned an initial citrus lemon burst, which left quickly. Someone mentioned it initially smellnig similar to Azzarro PH at first, I found both these to be true. I do not at all equate it with Azzarro, but I see what he is talking about. Maybe the oakmoss/musk smell from a 70s citrus oriented scent. I don't know.

To me, this is an aura scent. I mean, it's not this huge billowing fragrance like todays scents (although it could be with more sprays), but it gives off beautiful wafts of lemony, earthy?(musky, sweaty as been described?) puffs of scent or when you walk by someone or someone is in your area (aura), they can smell this scent but not overpoweringly. I had always read this was one of those that was similar equiv. to Eau Sauvage in style, and as a 2.5 decade lover of ES, I can see what some talk about. I think 'to me' it's even moreso Eau Sauvage than the current formulation i.e. the current ES, although still lovely, has something 'new' to it which I wish dind't have.

I don't know Ho Hang. But I am loving this one.
    Last edited by vertatre; 20th May 2011 at 10:29 PM.