Code of Conduct

Question Cheap, under-rated things: Your favorite bargains

Newbie here. I've got a big pile of samples from The Perfumed Court, and one of my favorites so far is Niki de Saint Phalle -- which, I was delighted to learn, is dead easy to find on eBay for not much money at all! I can get it new, I can get it old, opened & partially used or still sealed, in EDT or parfum in the groovy snake-lidded bottles or the zodiac sign of my choice. On a volume basis, even new, it's about the second-cheapest thing I've liked, after Demeter's Thunderstorm (which was $23/4 oz on Amazon). This is a relief, since other samples that I've liked the most are, oh, fifteen times that (I'm looking at you, Frederic Malle ). En Passant is truly beautiful, and it suits me, but although it's completely different I think I like NdSP just as well, and I can afford to wear as much of it as I like.

What gems have you learned are cheap and plentiful?

Default Re: Cheap, under-rated things: Your favorite bargains

Halston by Halston, just get the bottle without the white signature. Available in Marshall's, TJMaxx, CVS, etc for between 10 and 20 dollars. One of my top favorites.

I know Nu by YSL seems to be discontinued now, but a few years ago I found two 1.7 oz (edp) bottles at $10 each! At Marshalls Brand new with the cellophane paper untouched... I usually look at the bottom of the box to see if it has been messed with... some people open them by the bottom and then reseal them with tape! lol

I like Habanita by Molinard. You can get it off Amazon for about $25! Also, I always look in Marshall's and TJ MAXX. You never know what bargains you'll find. I once got a Badgley Mischka gift set for $20!!! (Full size)

I like Cuba Gold, a tobacco Le Male with very good longevity and sillage.
    5usd for a great fragrance (with a great package too)

Check out the unsung treasures thread.Also I read that En Passant and one of the Ferre fragrances are near twins and by the same perfumer.

Ah yes I agree with Halston, infact I was able to get the perfume spray for a few pounds. Bought four of them and now on last one. Also Habanita but try to get the older formula in the black, it now comes in clear I believe and has been reformulated.

Tastes do change fragrances which you could get really cheap like Crown Perfumery now go for really big money. I bought mine for £2.50 a bottle now I see them for £100+!!! Avon some of their older classics are still cheap and they are excellent quality. Occur an old chypre now discontinued when I bought was £1.99.

Sometimes on ebay(but be very careful and ask questions from the seller etc), some will sell a part used bottle of high end niche, always keep a eye out for these.
    DONNA

My favourite cheapies/but goodies are Fleur d'Oranger by Fragonard,
    Un Jour Se Leve by Yves Rocher, Casaque by Tuvache and LouLou by Cacharel.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

It would definitely be Habanita for me. It is sensational (even more so given its price)!

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    Check out the unsung treasures thread.Also I read that En Passant and one of the Ferre fragrances are near twins and by the same perfumer.
    Is it not Iris Poudre you mean? Many find it alike to Ferre. But IMO, Ferre is Iris Poudre ripped from all things good. Kind of IP on a low budget :-( The parfumeur behind both scents is Pierre Bourdon.

For a cheap En Passant you may want to give Yves Rocher Pour Desir de Lilas a go. They are of course not the same, but you might enjoy the YR scent.

Sur la Plage

Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Grès Cabaret, which I bought for around $20 on ebay with free shipping. You might find it for even less. That's a lovely, dry, light rosey chypre. Nice quality, imo, and cheap as chips.

+1 for Halston and Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose.

Niki de Saint Phalle is a wonderful green leather. A classic!

I would say for $25.00 USD, the bath oil of Estee Lauder Youth Dew is a bargain. This works as a pure perfume and works well for both men and women. Warm, rich and sensual.

The notes (from the Estee site) Need I say more?

Top Notes

* Rose
    * Jonquil
    * Lavender

Middle Notes

* Jasmine
    * Muguet
    * Spices

Base Notes

* Moss
    * Vetiver
    * Patchouli

http://www.esteelauder.com/product/6...Oil/index.tmpl
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Avon Occur... just look at those base notes, Carven Ma Griff is cheap as chips on e-bay, look out for the older parfum, it's tons better. Madame Rochas is lovely, especially the older one. I quite liked Virgin V but it was a bit synthetic smelling.

Basenotes Plus

Provocative Woman edp by Elizabeth Arden with notes of lilies, orchid, freesia, amber and sweet woods.
    Around $18.00 for a 1.7 oz bottle

i know this isnt exactly an answer to your question, but I think the best way to buy cheap is to buy used, I dont see any shame in used bottles

Also, Diesel for men PLUS PLUS was always heavily discounted and I absolutely love that perfume, its easy to find for $9.99

Wings for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills!!!
    WELCOME TO BASENOTES EugeniaLOL!!!
    Gary

should also add bal a versailles

I second bal a versailles. Also Emeraude is still inexpensive and delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    Check out the unsung treasures thread.
    Yes, do! That is a terrific thread, with so many great recommendations your head will spin.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Coty's L'Aimant smells almost exactly like Chanel N°5,
    and you can get the 1,7oz Parfum de Toilette for under
    $10.

Basenotes Plus

Coty Wild Woods for Men is wonderful. Cheap as anything, I think I paid @ $10 for my bottle, but smells a lot more $$$.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

For anyone who's playing along, some LINKS:

Related threads in Male Fragrance Discussion:

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I found so far.

And thank you, Gary! <waves>

Basenotes Institution

What a great list of links !

Bodycology 's White Gardenia body mist is a near dupe of Michael Kors' Michael and it's only $3.99 from Target. The EDP of White Gardenia is $7.99 . I knew the smell was very familiar and compared the two side by side on my skin.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    Is it not Iris Poudre you mean? Many find it alike to Ferre. But IMO, Ferre is Iris Poudre ripped from all things good. Kind of IP on a low budget :-( The parfumeur behind both scents is Pierre Bourdon.
    Sorry -my mistake!

''Unsung Treasures'' is my downfall. I have a list as long as my arm of ''things I want to smell'' right now!!!!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Wow, look at those links! I'll be persuing those for a good long while.

I am not even halfway through the Unsung Treasures thread and my head is spinning....great work on the links!

I am adding another + 1 for Coty's Wild Woods, as well as Unbound by Halston.

Nice choices!

+1 for PW Tea Rose, Habanita and Niki de Saint Phalle, Youth Dew. Hail Estee Lauder!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

All the finalists for all the Basenotes Awards, Mass Market Women's division, in alphabetical order:

My goodness! I wore Coty Wild Musk religiously in my late teens/early 20s -- always a half-spray of the cologne strength to my hair. I had no idea it got any respect. And my mom had bottles of 4711 and Émeraude, as well as, I think, Youth Dew, and a smattering of things from Avon (which was the one in the red bottle with the golden spindle on top? <goes off to Google Images> Ooh, looks like Charisma.)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

A few weeks ago I bought a really nice lime fragrance that is definitely unisex and a good alternative to JM Lime, Basil & Mandarine-- I would say it is less masculine than the Malone:
    Bronnley Lime & Bergamot Eau Fraiche.

Eau Fraiche implies a very light fragrance but this lasted 5 hours on me.

I paid $22 for a 100ml spray at the store but on smallflower.com it's $17. There are matching bath products that I wouldn't mind trying.

Hillaire

Wow, Eugenia, nice work assembling those links. Thank you.

For some reason the first scent that pops into my head as especially good and easy on the pocketbook today is La Perla by La Perla.

Many of Avons (especially those which features known designers or famous Houses) ,Yves Rocher's vintages and many of Oriflame's brand.
    Good work ,EugeniaLOL (Coty's-70's ,80's perfumes and with TBS-i own many of them in your list)!
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I brought La Perla blind because of the ''Unsung Treasures'' thread and am already thinking about buying a back up!

EugeniaLOL, the list is awsome! Must have taken you ages to compile. Thank you!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I've just tried La Perla because a cousin had some and was swearing by it. Very nice and understated.

Rochas Tocade - Cheap and cheerful

Notes: Bergamot, Freesia, Green Notes, Geranium Magnolia, Jasmine,Rose, lily of the valley Vanilla Cedar Amber Musk The dry down is magic, if you happen to like those notes.

I was with my horse last night, and I noticed La Perla actually goes very well with Eau de Cheval! It seemed fit somehow. I enjoyed it doubly well riding my horse.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I was with my horse last night, and I noticed La Perla actually goes very well with Eau de Cheval! It seemed fit somehow. I enjoyed it doubly well riding my horse.
    Is there a law about describing "Husbands"?

No. I really meant my horse. Mon Cheval, mein Pferd, mi Caballo, mijn paard.
    Equus Caballus.
    My horse, my Arab steed, my swift footed stallion, my wind drinking equine.

(Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

No. I really meant my horse. Mon Cheval, mein Pferd, mi Caballo, mijn paard.
    Equus Caballus.
    My horse, my Arab steed, my swift footed stallion, my wind drinking equine.
    ROFLMAO!
    Poor kccparis. Those who have followed your equine-related posts knew what you meant, but I can see how he might have mis-understood your description of "riding the horse"
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

And he's French...
    Toujours l'amour I suppose.....
    And I said ''night'', it was evening rather and still light so we could ride.
    I mean ''monter a cheval''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

And he's French...
    Toujours l'amour I suppose.....
    And I said ''night'', it was evening rather and still light so we could ride.
    I mean ''monter a cheval''
    well ma cherie- i admit I thought the same "toujour l'amour" thing. The only other comeback which would have been funnier if you had responded that you weren't referring toyour husband, it was your pool boy / gardener. Yes I have a perverted sense of humor. I attribute it to being part french and part greek.
    It was just a priceless interchange, but an understandable mis-read and I do hope we haven't scared him off from posting on the thread again- come back kccparis- we love you!
    A Scent Rescuer

kccparis don't stay away! My fiance, (not husband yet!) is going to ROTFL when I read this to him!

knit-at-night, I totally and utterly adore the fiance, the pool boy/ gardener/ postman never came into my mind!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Talking Re: Cheap, under-rated things: Your favorite bargains

Not to interrupt the double-entendre-fest-in-progress . . . but I have no-one else to talk to about this stuff! I just unpacked the Niki DSP EDT I ordered recently (a 2 oz. tester for $21 delivered; an eBay buy-it-now) and have it slathered on my wrists -- damn. Damn. Damn. It's so rich. And different every moment, and rewarding every time I notice it, every moment.

I honestly can't remember how I ended up ordering a sample of Niki DSP from The Perfumed Court -- did I first notice the fascinating snakey parfum bottles on eBay? was it the idea of a marigold note? Or was it one of the epic narrative reviews I cam across? At least two well-told stories of Niki DSP as a coming-of-age catalyst or emblem. Sniff this stuff as a 12-year-old and glimpse how becoming a woman might be like, really like, with complexity and mystery and a little smidge of terror, but a smidge of terror that's within your power to handle. I went Googling today and copied out a lot of reviews -- over and over, people say, in variations, This stuff is different from all other smells, and I love it, and it's part of me. I can remember the first time I decided it was mine. It made me different than I was before, larger. More interesting to myself.

How wonderful!

Hillaire

Eugenia, what a great choice! Niki has more character and aplomb than any scent I can think of that runs four times as much. I eagerly recommend the lotion and body cream to you as well. They actually come in cobalt GLASS jars, with the signature snake motif designed by NDSF herself. I LOVE those bottles!

If you are enjoying that soapy, elegant green chypre, I think you'd like scents like Ivoire and Molinard de Molinard, which are both easy on the pocketbook!

Oh, oh, so now I am getting really interested in niki dsp too.....
    There goes my pocketmoney!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Now I want some NdSP cream in a cobalt blue glass jar, too.

I got a bottle of Chloe for $20 at the drugstore. I don't wear it much because it is a powerhouse - but it brings back such memories of the 80s, and if you like that kind of scent I recommend it.

Blog Entries

Oh, oh, so now I am getting really interested in niki dsp too.....
    There goes my pocketmoney!
    I just googled this fragrance, and the bottles are so special. Now I want one.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Hillaire, I do have a vintage mini of Ivoire de Balmain; I like it and can see the similarities with NdSP -- but I don't think I can wear it much. My (not-a-horse) husband -- well, the last time I wore it, he said, "My dear, the scent you're wearing is . . . overwhelming," which, for him, was a shockingly pointed complaint. (He's nice.) While I was wearing it, though, I was mostly wishing it was NdSP, so I'm not upset!

I think I will look for Molinard. Thank you!

Woo-hoo! I just won a vintage full .5 oz NdSP parfum on eBay, the kind with the snake sculpture lid! $22.13 delivered!

Basenotes Plus

EugeniaLOL Welcome to Basenotes!!!
    I love your user name, and your style, and enthusiasm.....hope to see a lot more of you on the boards....
    A Scent Rescuer

+1 for the Molinards Habanita and Molinard de Molinard.

They also have a truly nice selection of florals: Violette, Muguet, Jasmin.

Their Vanille is wonderful.

Your won't go broke.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Cabaret by Gres = 15 dollars for 3.0oz
    Perfumers Workshop Tea Rose = 3 dollars for 3.0oz

If you like sweet gourmands (I'm not so much a fan) Ici by Coty was ahead of it's time and is often found in the markdown bin.

Thank you, knit at nite, and what a lovely thing to say! I'm happy to have found this place. And thank you, everyone else, for all the suggestions. I've ordered samples of Silences by Jacomo and Molinard de Molinard from eBay, and am putting off another mammoth sample order from TPC for now -- my baby needs a new pair of shoes, literally. I have an 11-month old.

That's really why I started thinking about perfumes recently; I do remember that much. I didn't expect to be a mom at my age -- long story -- and remembering what it was like to be little myself, I was thinking about how important the smell of my mother was to me. She smelled like Oil of Olay most of the time and perfumes only when she was getting ready to go out on a special occasion. I've been wearing unscented everything (laundry detergent, lotion, shampoo and conditioner -- really everything unscented I can get) for a while now, and nobody dresses up the way people used to for nights out . . . I thought about how evocative those scents of my mother are, even though she hasn't used any of those things for decades, and how sad it might be if my son never had anything like that.

Well, and then I ordered up a bunch of samples and fell in love with perfumery all for my own sake! Good grief, it's an art, isn't it? I think I'll try to stick partially to the original plan and have a signature scent -- probably NdSP, as I'm sure won't surprise anyone here -- but I'll keep getting samples to sniff recreationally. Maybe I'll keep those at my office.