Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is Aventus hyped up just because it is a Creed?

I know that Creed has a huge following on here, but if you were to smell Aventus on the average joe walking past you in public five years ago, would you give Aventus a thumbs up or thumbs down?

Default Re: Is Aventus hyped up just because it is a Creed?

Thumbs up.

It smells good. Its overpriced, but it will make you curious if someone walked passed you wearing it.

To me it smells like one of the Harajuku Lovers fragrances , so to answer your question , if it was anything other than Creed then no it wouldnt get all the love it does

Ive gotten compliments from people who never give compliments usually.Plus they had no idea from which house it came from..

Quote Originally Posted by seanjuan84 View Post
    I know that Creed has a huge following on here, but if you were to smell Aventus on the average joe walking past you in public five years ago, would you give Aventus a thumbs up or thumbs down?
    I hate to tell you this, but Aventus is actually not a Creed.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

^^^ go on....

I think it probably gets more fair chance given that it's a creed, but even if ed hardy released it I suspect it would still get some chatter, maybe not quite as much, but it would be talked about.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
    Ive gotten compliments from people who never give compliments usually.Plus they had no idea from which house it came from..
    Likewise. And most of these have no clue about the house or its lineup. They give unsolicited compliments because they just flat LIKE.HOW.IT.SMELLS. It's really that simple.

Aventus is the only Creed i've tested that i'd buy. Love the stuff.

On the contrary, it's under-rated for being a creed. Though it is over-priced for what it is. I still like it

I agree hat a lot of Creeds get overhyped simply for being Creeds but this one is really just hyped because it's damn good

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Please enlighten us sir and give us some supporting facts if you can. I enjoy wearing Aventus and as others have said it draws compliments. Personally, it would not matter to me if Bozo the clown was the actual nose behind it, partially or in total.

Martin

I'm pretty objective when it comes to fragrances. I won't judge a Creed fragrance based on their reputation/notoriety or my previous experiences with Creed.

For the record:

I don't like VIW, Himalaya, Millesime Imperial, Tabarome, Original Vetiver.
    I'm so-so on Bois du Portugal. Erolfa.
    I do like GIT, SMW.

When it comes to Aventus, not only do I think it is one of the best Creed fragrances, I think it is an A+ fragrance, period.

Personally, I don't think it's necessarily the best smell I've ever smelled. There are some other fragrances out there that smell simply "divine", whereas Aventus only smells "really good". Where it shines is its uncanny ability to draw attention in a way that few other fragrances can. People notice it without it being strong and people can't help but to compliment you on it. This makes it perfect for social situations where you're going to be in crowded areas. Everyone's wearing some generic overworn cologne. Aventus stands out and makes an impression like no other fragrance. Every guy needs a fragrance like this in their wardrobe.

To answer your question: It probably works both ways. There are Creed lovers probably hype it and Creed haters who would hate it, regardless of the quality of the scent. All you need to know is that it's the real deal. I'd probably buy it at retail price if I had to.
    Last edited by Bokchoy; 20th May 2011 at 02:11 AM.

I agree with the last post. This is just an amazing fragrance. I tend to get tired of fragrances quick, but I think this one will always be a staple for me. As long as Creed still makes it. I'm not too keen on Millesime Imperial. I sprayed a crap load on me and never got any compliments. Before I knew it I was depleting my expensive bottle. So I'm letting that age a bit and enjoying my Aventus and GIT. I like Aventus more than GIT because GIT can smell like coolwater to many noses that know no better. Aventus on the other hanf smells like nothing else out there that I can think of. I like to be unique. I'd stray from telling people about this scent, but if we all don't then it won't be around for much longer.

Def a great frag ! Lots of compliments from both sexes. It's the real deal. I also think it maybe classy enough to wear at a formal tux event ! I will try it this weekend and let everyone know !

Yeah, Aventus deserves the love she gets.

Overhyped lemon pineapple toilet water

What Bokchoy said... Aventus deserves it's rep, it is unique and people love it, especially women.

all over hyped fragrances piss me off. 99.9% of the time it's BS and when I try them out (M7, Geir, Body Kouros) I end up disliking them.

What about that .1%? That's Aventus my friends. Only thing I'm disappointed in is how they say it is "wrapped in leather around the bottle." That leather is indeed adhesive texturized decal tape. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bhougland View Post
    Any bonehead can call any fragrance overhyped, name two of its notes (and only get one of them right) and call it toilet water.

The council has spoken. Aventus is a very good fragrance.

Sur la Plage

No. A lot of mediocre scents get hyped - not just Creeds.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

No. A lot of mediocre scents get hyped - not just Creeds.

Yep. Umm.....Chergui anyone?

No, it's hyped because it's a damned good fragrance. Just read the positive comments on BN about Aventus. Almost guaranteed to get compliments. Your mileage may vary. . . but that seems unlikely, if you read BN commentary closely. It's a good one. Just buy it, and stop worrying about the anti-Creed whining on BN. It's very nice stuff.

IMO it's not overhyped either because there's nothing I've ever smelt quite like it, so that makes it very unique IMO. Also from my experience it's very hard to overapply because it just smells so clean and sophisicated, and I always get noticed when I wear it. Aventus next to Vetiver 48 is my favorite Creed...

Nick

I don't know if it's hyped or not, but it's easily the most polarizing fragrance I've seen on BN. There's no one in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Thumbs up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Caesar View Post
    It smells good. Its overpriced, but it will make you curious if someone walked passed you wearing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Likewise. And most of these have no clue about the house or its lineup. They give unsolicited compliments because they just flat LIKE.HOW.IT.SMELLS. It's really that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post
    Def a great frag ! Lots of compliments from both sexes. It's the real deal. I also think it maybe classy enough to wear at a formal tux event ! I will try it this weekend and let everyone know !
    Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Yeah, Aventus deserves the love she gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    No, it's hyped because it's a damned good fragrance. Just read the positive comments on BN about Aventus. Almost guaranteed to get compliments. Your mileage may vary. . . but that seems unlikely, if you read BN commentary closely. It's a good one. Just buy it, and stop worrying about the anti-Creed whining on BN. It's very nice stuff.
    I agree with all this.

Sure brings up a lot of the same threads again and again. Maybe they can all be melded into the already mammoth one. They all seem to be repeats of the same comments.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I have issues with Aventus. There's something in the dry down that my nose flat out cannot detect. After an hour or so- I get nothing. BUT i know it's still there because I get comments.

In answer to OPs question- sure, it gets chatted up in here a lot because it's a Creed to a degree.

BUT, look at all the comments in this thread alone from people who have gotten good feedback on wearing. No one who says "you smell good" knows it's a Creed.

Banned

If Adventus perfume was released as a Perry Ellis or some other low-level brand I have absolutely no doubt it wouldn't receive 90% of the attention or accolades that it presently enjoys. When it comes to BN there are dozens - if not hundreds - of excellent fragrances that blow the doors off of Adventus that receive zero attention because members here aren't aware of them. Take these gems and put them in a Creed bottle and next thing you know they'd be the talk of the town....

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    If Adventus perfume was released as a Perry Ellis or some other low-level brand I have absolutely no doubt it wouldn't receive 90% of the attention or accolades that it presently enjoys. When it comes to BN there are dozens - if not hundreds - of excellent fragrances that blow the doors off of Adventus that receive zero attention because members here aren't aware of them. Take these gems and put them in a Creed bottle and next thing you know they'd be the talk of the town....
    Don't doubt there are tons of fragrances that might be better. Certainly are for my nose. But I have it. I have worn it. And I have received many compliments on it. No one knew it was made by Creed. I disbelieve the other people who have gotten compliments have made it up.

If you want to argue it's not a well done scent, great. I can't argue any point about something I cannot smell. But a lot people seem to like the feedback they get when wearing it.

I think Aventus is special, It follows a certain scent path that would be expected from a niche, but exemplary in a Designer fragrance (think, Guerlain L`instant Extreme, Dior Homme Intense). I love the fragrance, my favorite creed, a modern classic.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by nineXseven View Post
    I agree that Aventus (no 'd') has probably has gotten more attention being a Creed fragrance than if it was some generic brand. However, it's been a mixture of both good and bad attention. When it came out, for every person bouncing off the walls about Aventus' release, there was another person who already wrote it off as another overrated Creed scent.

If everyone ignored any preconceived notions about Creed, the hype/doubt, and judged Aventus solely on its own merit, we'd still conclude that it's a fantastic fragrance.

I have a smokey/ashy version of Aventus and im getting compliments like never before. Its amazing and i love the scent. I get alot of leather out of it.

Where can I buy a good sample of this? The one I got from theperfumedcourt smells like cheap air freshener and cigarette ash.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Sure brings up a lot of the same threads again and again. Maybe they can all be melded into the already mammoth one. They all seem to be repeats of the same comments.
    Absolutely agree! To answer, I love the stuff. It is undeniably Creed but if it weren't, I'd still love it. Therefore, brand means nothing. Whats matters is that I enjoy it.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Where can I buy a good sample of this? The one I got from theperfumedcourt smells like cheap air freshener and cigarette ash.
    Then that's what it smells like to you. I gather there are some debates about different batches smelling different, but I'm not personally going to pursue that line of logic very far. There is a strong base of users in here who would disagree with me.

I'm impartial to it myself. My bottle is invisible to me after the pineapple opening. I gather it's got a lot of oakmoss. Whatever is in it, a lot women seem to like it. You can call me a bullshyter if you wish, but I'm an old guy and some young women who wouldn't normally give me the time of day have commented quite positively on it the few times I've worn it. It pisses me off.

I believe they're using some new synthetic in there that I'm totally anosmic to.

Tried it today, in Neiman Marcus. The representative tried to indoctrinate me with all kinds of worthless garbage about the royalness of it all and stuff.

Tremendously overrated. Not all bad though. If it ever shows in TJ MAXX, at $15 a bottle, it might be worth it, as a gift to your great-uncle on his death bed. He's not going to have to suffer too long through it.

Should I still go through the effort to try Green Irish Tweed when I'll pass by again?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeltov View Post
    Should I still go through the effort to try Green Irish Tweed when I'll pass by again?
    Don't bother. It's horrible.

Wait for it to show in TJ Maxx for $15.

Might be a long wait though. Oddly enough it's been their best seller since 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

Might be a long wait though. Oddly enough it's been their best seller since 1985.
    Seconded. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    I kind of feel the same way, but your description is a bit of an exaggeration of mine. To me, it smells like a pungent, synthetic pineapple and campfire ash background. I think it smells good, but not like it's heaven in a bottle. I can probably name at least 50 fragrances that smell more pleasant to me.

However, when I wear it, the results are nothing short of amazing. People can't help but to comment on it. I wore it shopping once and had about 7-8 compliments in a three-hour outing (not counting salespersons who will tell you that your Eau de Cat Piss smells great).

I know it seems pretty vain and superficial to wear a fragrance just to impress people and garner compliments, but for social situations where you're with a bunch of people you've never met, it's a huge confidence booster when you know the people around you love how you smell and they can't get enough. I'm not crazy about how Aventus smells, but its performance is undeniable.

Might be a long wait though.

Not a problem, thank you for your insight.

Hundreds and hundreds of fragrances to try before that, including a good number which come from houses which don't have this reputation of being so inconsistent that you have to buy four different ones before you get the lucky one.

Not a problem, thank you for your insight.

Hundreds and hundreds of fragrances to try before that, including a good number which come from houses which don't have this reputation of being so inconsistent that you have to buy four different ones before you get the lucky one.
    That's true about Creed, and that's one prejudicial comment you could make about Aventus and would be completely right.

I've worn two different Aventus decants, both smell noticeably different, but same results. I'm afraid to buy a full bottle because of this, but I'll be making the leap of faith very soon.

Well its have its own 4-page long thread about batch numbers, yes its hyped

Just like most Creed is. I do like Aventus, but i like other perfumes much more and to a much lower pricetag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoy View Post
    I've worn two different Aventus decants, both smell noticeably different, but same results.

This reminds me - as an aunt of mine used to say, eating lobster and red beans has the same end result, despite the noticeably different taste.

Poor dear one.

She's among the departed.

So lucky.

This reminds me - as an aunt of mine used to say, eating lobster and red beans has the same end result, despite the noticeably different taste.

Poor dear one.

She's among the departed.

So lucky.
    LOL The difference between Aventus A and Aventus B was a little more subtle than lobster and red beans.

And I have received many compliments on it.
    It cries: "I'm a perfume, compliment me." So kind people compliment you. This is fishing for compliments instead of being good. There is a difference. Take some other crap from the department store and spritz that on. People will do the same as with the Aventus. They notice it in their noses, they may note it to You in case Your facial expression asks for that. Plain boring obvious 'pineapple', disgusting, tasteless, pungent, like a open eyed, critical visit to Disney Land may feel to an educated mind. Overwhelming kitsch.

But, Creed may start a trend with that.

thumbs down all the way!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingy View Post
    It cries: "I'm a perfume, compliment me." So kind people compliment you. This is fishing for compliments instead of being good. There is a difference. Take some other crap from the department store and spritz that on. People will do the same as with the Aventus. They notice it in their noses, they may note it to You in case Your facial expression asks for that. Plain boring obvious 'pineapple', disgusting, tasteless, pungent, like a open eyed, critical visit to Disney Land may feel to an educated mind. Overwhelming kitsch.

But, Creed may start a trend with that.
    I wonder what it is about fragrances that makes people unable to give negative reviews without going totally overboard with their extreme exaggerations?

I feel sorry for any mind that is so educated that they can no longer enjoy Disneyland or Aventus.

Yep. Umm.....Chergui anyone?
    I wouldn't say so, Chergui is not mediocre at all to me.

Anyway...
    Aventus it's a good fragrance and it's very easy to love

I've really enjoyed reading this thread because it's just reminded me how many different reactions there can be to a single perfume.

I was singularly unimpressed with Aventus, but then I've yet to find a single Creed that I like.
    ---

I am a Jasmine Award winning fragrance critic, amateur perfumer, Basenotes contributor and regular columnist for Esprit Magazine. My perfume guide, Le Snob: Perfume, is published by Hardie Grant. Click on its title for more info.

For giveaways, reviews of new perfume releases and thoughts on all sorts of scent-related matters, please visit Persolaise.com or find me on Twitter or Facebook.

Many thanks.

Yes and no. Yes because it's a creed and no because people in the US generally like such light perfumes.

I think it smells great! Though I haven't sampled it on my skin before and I just have the card.
    One of the best things I've smelled on paper...

Ordering a decant within the next 2 weeks though so I am hoping it smells great!
    Top 5:
    1) La Nuit De L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
    2) Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3) Royal Oud by Creed
    4) One Million by Paco Rabanne
    5) Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Yes, it is hyped up, because it's a Creed. It's basically a decent scent that may have hit a popular vibe and thus garners compliments, it's not very well constructed (longevity - way inferior to a technical marvel such as bargain bin Monsieur Balmain), nor made from exquisite materials that would merit notice (like real Mysore pineapple or so). And the company can't guarantee a consistent product either. And yes, plenty of other mediocre fragrances have their hypes, too, so it's nothing entirely Creed-specific.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

yes overhyped

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    + 1
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

It's not overhyped. The people who have given me compliments have no clue what Creed is! They just smell something great and compliment it. Not my favorite cologne, but one of my most complimented.

Hate the game, but don't hate the player! Aventus is a clear-cut winner. And of course, it costs way too much, as Creeds always do. If we really sat back and thought about it, more than $50 for a cologne is a crime. But yet, we pay it.

Thumbs up Re: Is Aventus hyped up just because it is a Creed?

I love Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte for its fruity chypre vibe, so likewise I really like Aventus. Natural smelling fruity top notes (red apple and pineapple) and ultimately dries down to a very light chypre base. It's a winner in my book. Will eventually purchase a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    I love Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte for its fruity chypre vibe, so likewise I really like Aventus. Natural smelling fruity top notes (red apple and pineapple) and ultimately dries down to a very light chypre base. It's a winner in my book. Will eventually purchase a bottle.
    Yes but don't you really love Eau d'Orange Verte only because it's Hermes? I think we all really know that's the reason.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Question Re: Is Aventus hyped up just because it is a Creed?

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Yes but don't you really love Eau d'Orange Verte only because it's Hermes? I think we all really know that's the reason.
    Huh??

It's the only Hermes fragrance that I like. I bought it solely because of the way it smells. Otherwise I don't really care for the Hermes house.

What are you getting at? You got me confused with someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
    Huh??

It's the only Hermes fragrance that I like. I bought it solely because of the way it smells. Otherwise I don't really care for the Hermes house.

What are you getting at? You got me confused with someone else?
    I think he is directing the rationale of your statement to the OP's question.