Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chanel

48 38.71%
  • Guerlain

76 61.29%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chanel Or Guerlain?

After last week fight between Caron and Guerlain where Caron was (fairly or unfairly as the case may be) beaten, I submit my "Titans Clash" version:

Chanel vs Guerlain

On the right corner:
    No.5 (wichever version you prefer), No.18, No.19, No.22, Sycomore, Cuir De Russie, 31 Rue Cambon, Bois Des Iles, 28 La Pausa, Allure, Allure Pour Homme, Antaeus, Egoiste, Cristalle, Pour Monsieur,

On the left corner
    Mitsouko, Jicky, Derby, Habit Rouge, Eau De Guerlain, Vetiver, Heritage, L'Heure Bleu, Apres L'Ondee, Shalimar, Samsara, Vol De Nuit, Cuir Beluga, L'Instant, L'instant Pour Homme

who is gonna win this week?

GONG!
    Last edited by alfarom; 21st May 2011 at 12:35 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Default Re: Chanel Or Guerlain?

I voted (first!) Guerlain. Chanel's are great perfumes, but Guerlain's are both great and otherworldly beautiful.

for my personal tastes, definitely chanel.

Guerlain, hands down.

Chanel gets my vote but only by a hair.
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

Both, but Guerlain wins on quantity.

Just go scroll down the Guerlain list of fragrances. Nothing comes within a million miles of it.

it looks like is going to be an hard fight!
    Last edited by alfarom; 21st May 2011 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    After last week fight between Caron and Guerlain where Caron was (fairly or unfairly as the case may be) beaten......
    Regardless of which of them makes/made the most fragrances you like, Caron was great for a long time but ultimately never anything like Guerlain.

And there are a long list of great Guerlains you missed in your list.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st May 2011 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Regardless of which of them makes/made the most fragrances you like, Caron was great for a long time but never anything like Guerlain.
    No doubt (saleswise)

That was fairly easy, however much I love and my come to love Chanel extraits, it is Guerlain for me!! There are so many monumental Guerlain perfumes that still have a huge influence on perfumery and their history is simply alluring.

Had to go with Guerlain. Chanel is outstanding, though.

I voted for Chanel, and two things tipped it for me. One, I think Chanel continues to put out fragrances that will probably be classics in the years to come, whereas Guerlain, in my eyes, has faltered as of late. The second, Chanel's masculines edge out Guerlain's in my opinion.

So, Chanel by a nose.

Silly, but fun thread.

My absolute favourite fragrances are from Chanel, though as has been mentioned above, Guerlain probably comes out tops by virtue of the sheer number of perfumes the house has released. I also think Guerlain has greater integrity than Chanel.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Silly
    thanks, I never take it too seriously LOL

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

And there are a long list of great Guerlains you missed in your list.
    I chose the most popular. No need to be fussy, It's a silly game, don't take it too seriously.

Guerlain still make about a dozen of the best perfumes money can buy to a standard approaching original spec, as well as a gaggle of other perfumes that are wonderful, if short of first-order artistry.

Chanel have fewer all-time greats but are closing the gap. Giving Sheldrake top billing at some point will help.

I am just glad that two classic designer houses still care enough to produce compelling stuff with top-drawer raw materials. Hopefully LVMH don't reduce that to one...

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    Hopefully LVMH don't reduce that to one...
    Crossing my fingers!

If multiple choices were possible, I'd take both, too many masterpieces on both sides

Chanel, but love Guerlain also.

It's impossible to choose, the merits of both are so massive and diverse from one another. But if I must it will have to be Guerlain.

Chanel, but not because of personal tastes. (Mine seem to run hit or miss through both brands.)

Guerlain is a bought-out fragrance house - a subsidiary of LVMH. Chanel is primarily a fashion house (or luxury brand) that manages to keep pace with Guerlain seemingly without effort. It comes down to taste-level and branding: Guerlain has had some issues with both over the past 30 years, but seems to be finally finding it's footing in the modern market - Chanel on the other hand, has always had it's fingers firmly on the market pulse, consistently delivering precisely the image it's customers want.

Basenotes Institution

OMG - that's like choosing between chocolate and coffee ( sorry - I'm a woman! ) I can't choose- I have to have both .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 22nd May 2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: missed out a word ...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Guerlain by far. Chanel's masculine offerings do nothing for me.

Chanel, cause guerlain refurmulate their scent too much

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    OMG - that's like choosing chocolate and coffee ( sorry - I'm a woman! ) I can't choose- I have to have both .
    Great answer, Mimi.

In the end, I had to choose Guerlain.

I have more of them I enjoy than Chanels.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I would choose Guerlain which have been a revelation in beauty, blending and contribution to the development of the whole industry. I am still on my L Plates, but as I say, Guerlain (and Caron which I adore) have been a joy to get to know

I have to side with Chanel -I love more of the fragrances listed.I haven't tried all the Guerlains listed(yet),but though I love Mitsouko and Samsara(Samsara flankers too!),I don't really like Jicky .

queen of the universe

Guerlain! No Chanel smells good on me, and every Guerlain I own is like tone poem.

Quote Originally Posted by mimi gardenia View Post
    omg - that's like choosing between chocolate and coffee ( sorry - i'm a woman! :d ) i can't choose- i have to have both .
    lol

I do think Chanel has some strong scents but there are a few Guerlain classics that go beyond, and some of their more recent more exclusive scents have been very special too. So Guerlain for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    OMG - that's like choosing between chocolate and coffee ( sorry - I'm a woman! ) I can't choose- I have to have both .
    +1, except that I'm not a woman.

My No 1 house is Chanel, but there are a few Guerlains I don't want to be without.

Basenotes Plus

It's pretty close, but I chose Guerlain.

It looks like Chanel is having an hard time

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    It looks like Chanel is having an hard time
    How could so many people be so wrong? HA, just kidding folks! Looks like Guerlain is going to take this, and Mr. G has not even voted yet. Wonder how his vote will go?

I'm going to go pout now and watch my Coco Chanel DVD. My favorite part is when the young niece is about to leave to go out. Coco says "you are not going out like that are you?" She rips off part of the young woman's frilly dress and grabs a piece of sheer curtain to make a scarf. Coco then douses her in Chanel #5 parfum. "Now, you are ready." I LOVE IT!!!! Simple, classic attire and a beautiful fragrance are all a woman or man needs to make her/his statement! Classic Chanel.
    Last edited by cello; 22nd May 2011 at 10:05 PM.

Chanel has always appealed to me more than any of Guerlains fragrances. So Chanel it is, and I bet noone is surprised of my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    How could so many people be so wrong? HA, just kidding folks!
    Ditto Sooner or later they will run out of vanilla LOL

I'm with you Chanel fans. While I have four personal 5-star favorites from Guerlain, I have eight from Chanel, so my choice is clear.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I wished I could have voted for both, but I give the edge to Guerlain
    Evenstar

I own/desire more from the Chanel house than Guerlain. They just work better on me. Chanel recieves more of my business, so Chanel it is.

Blog Entries

Guerlain or Chanel? The envelope please? The winner is Guerlain! (much applause, the people stand)

Guerlain's recent releases are pretty dreadful but their old catalog clinches it for me. Chanel is certainly the stronger performer in recent years.

Guerlain's recent (well, kind of recent) releases that completely captured me, as I look back, were many:

Philtre d' Amour
    Plus que Jamais
    Sophie (which I had to learn to love, but love I do)
    Shalimar eau legere
    Mitsouko fleur de lotus

Recent Chanel that completely captured me - there was only one:

31 Rue Cambon

Now, all the recent releases from Guerlain are discontinued!

Nonetheless, my vote goes to Guerlain. They were indeed beautiful while they lasted....I WISH they would bring all of them back!

Basenotes Plus

If someone put a gun against my head - Guerlain, but I'd really rather not have to choose. Both houses have a plethora of delights in their respective portfolios and it would be criminal not to own and enjoy them all. Glad this poll is only theoretical.

Guerlain without a doubt.

Chanel by a long shot, given Guerlain's current status. If I took everything they put out as a whole, Guerlain would win, but taking their current line up and reformulations, Chanel strikes me as being far more appealing.

Want my vote, Guerlain? Bring back Parure and L'Apres L'Ondee extrait.

Guerlain got my vote. I only own one Chanel, No 5, but quite a few Guerlains.

I love Egoiste and Pour Monsieur, the les exclusifs are too out of reach, allure homme is vile (sweet, sticky mess)

I love all my Guerlains. l;instant, mitsouko, coriolan, l'heure bleue, heritage, habit rouge........so yes its guerlain.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Guerlain by far. Chanel's masculine offerings do nothing for me.

+1

And Chanel needs to show its "exclusifs" to compete with the regular Guerlain line... i've never tried n║ 22, bois des iles, etc... as i've never tried many guerlain exclusives.

Talking about regular lines, i prefer Guerlain. Chanel's masculine line it's kinda average.

I love both but I love Chanel a bit more, so Chanel it is for me.

Since Caron lost to Guerlain, I can see that these type polls mean for the historical importance...And I suppose the historical importance of Guerlain is unapproachable....Although right now I'm basking in a cloud of powdery creamy lavender and vanilla with a playful pepper note, which I believe to be the finest lavender frag ever....of course its Caron...So my personal favorite fragrance is a Caron....And it has come through reformulation far better than my favorite Guerlains....I love the interview with Thierry Wasser...and their newest Tonka Imperial makes me think the future is also bright for Guerlain....Just so long as I can keep wearing my favorite Carons..and don't have to pick a frag from either of these two houses ..Ha,Ha....These things are silly...
    Last edited by be-bop; 3rd December 2011 at 07:08 AM.
    "Music Is My Mistress, and She Plays Second Fiddle To No One"-Ellington

I love that Guerlain is a perfume house so much more than Chanel. Even though I rarely wear Guerlain fragrances, that is the house I must choose.
    parfyme.moo.no - et norsk parfymeforum
    Blog

This is a toughie. I love Chanel and I love Guerlain. I picked Guerlain only because they have a wider range of fragrances and they stick to fragrance/beauty exclusively - which I like (as opposed to Chanel, which was a fashion house first). xx

I have to go with Guerlain.
    Love them both, but there are very few Chanels I actually like to wear (and so many Guerlains I *do* wear).

Fortunately we will not have to make this choice in real life.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I like the vintage Guerlains, but what they've done to the modern ones (Dior especially) is a crime. The Chanels seem less "gutted" somehow, so my vote would have to go to Chanel.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Dependent

Some of the Exclusifs from Chanel have won me over, I've gotta hand it to Chanel. Guerlain is right next to them though

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I have to go with Guerlain.
    Love them both, but there are very few Chanels I actually like to wear (and so many Guerlains I *do* wear).

Fortunately we will not have to make this choice in real life.

Yet ever since I posted this....I've been wearing Chanel!

Hillaire

In their original formulations, Chanel, hands down.

In view of only their current issue, neither house appeals to me anymore.

Maybe it's just how I have come to both of these houses over the years but it seems to me that Chanel turns out beautiful perfumes that are to be worn with a capital 'W', whereas Guerlain more often than not creates stories to be inhabited - there's a bit more romance going on. There are classic pieces of work from both, of course, but I own and wear way more Guerlain stuff.

I think Chanel deserves extra credit for:
    1) the diffuser spray feature of some of their new releases -very nice!
    2) A range of bottle sizes. Too many Guerlains are sold only 75 ml. I'm a 30-50 ml gal.