Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Haters of GREY FLANNEL: Why do you hate it?

I'm always amazed at how many people truly hate the smell of Grey Flannel. I'm amazed because I've always thought of it as such a clean, green smell, and I personally can't imagine not loving a scent that smells like that (I've always loved GF).

Most of the negative reviews simply say it's the worst smelling thing ever, but don't give much reason exactly what it is about the smell they find so repellant. I'm curious as to what it is about the particular smell that people find so bad. Do you find it sour smelling? Dirty? Too soapy? What is it?
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Default Re: Haters of GREY FLANNEL: Why do you hate it?

I, too, don't understand the vicious loathing of Grey Flannel. I can only attribute it to the Basenotes/YouTube/Marc-Tim-Brandon-says-it-sucks-therefore-so-must-I hivemind that casts a pall over the entire fragrance review community, but that's me. It's a lovely, crisp, well-turned-out scent that clearly hails from another era, but doesn't smell at all musty or "old-fashioned".

IIRC, one of the more coked-up asshats on YouTube, MyMickers, issued a blind-sniff challenge of Grey Flannel to his subscribers, and several responses flooded in, all unanimously negative. One of them compared the smell of GF to "an old lady's crotch", which says more about the reviewer than the frag, if you ask me.

I've never liked it much.
    For the first hour and a half, before it settles down to something tolerable (which goes good with leather jackets), it's like someone is driving scent nails into my nose.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I dont hate it, it just doesnt smell good to me

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    I, too, don't understand the vicious loathing of Grey Flannel. I can only attribute it to the Basenotes/YouTube/Marc-Tim-Brandon-says-it-sucks-therefore-so-must-I hivemind that casts a pall over the entire fragrance review community, but that's me. It's a lovely, crisp, well-turned-out scent that clearly hails from another era, but doesn't smell at all musty or "old-fashioned".

IIRC, one of the more coked-up asshats on YouTube, MyMickers, issued a blind-sniff challenge of Grey Flannel to his subscribers, and several responses flooded in, all unanimously negative. One of them compared the smell of GF to "an old lady's crotch", which says more about the reviewer than the frag, if you ask me.
    Hey there. In all best humor I sure want to say those who hate Grey Flannel are good people too and likely love their loved ones in all the righteous and upright ways.

I'm looking forward to The_Colognist telling us why he dislikes GF, but as he reads that line I'm sure he's going to want to kick my rear and tell me not to make him explain it AGAIN!

I just love GF myself. If only new scents created these days could be as good or better.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Well at least this asshat has class and treats others with respect and doesnt resort to name calling, lol. Glad you watched my vid though, lol. Life is way to short for such negativity. I dont get it. I dont even talk about people I dislike in such a disrespectful manner. Thats just me though. Ill credit that good sense of character to my wonerful mother.

I have a sign on my front door, "Just Say No To Violet Leaf." Does that explain it? LOL.

fountain

i love it madly.
    some hate it merely because mr turin hailed it a masterpiece. just a wild guess . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mickers
    Well at least this asshat has class and treats others with respect and doesnt resort to name calling, lol. Glad you watched my vid though, lol. Life is way to short for such negativity. I dont get it.
    Life's also too short to waste camera batteries and time ranting against a perfectly innocent cologne, of all things, and encouraging others to do the same in a similar manner, so I guess we're even? Honestly, I call them like I see them, and your on-camera demeanor drives me nuts. It's awkward to find ourselves in the same room after I just badmouthed you, but hey, them's the breaks. Good on you for not taking me seriously - I don't take myself seriously most times.

In the haters' defense: The bitter violet leaf/oakmoss blast at the top of GF is rather sharp and takes some getting used to. But the fragrance as a whole softens rather quickly once it's on skin, so despising the entire composition strikes me as odd, and I do maintain that the peer influence of Basenotes/YouTube has a significant effect on newbie sniffers' impressions of the scent.

I 180'd on Grey Flannel (from dislike to like). The initial blast was definitely what was off-putting about it for me originally. Now I can stand it, plus it fades away rather quickly as subhuman85 observed. I may never get through the 100 or so mls I have of it in my lifetime, but I think it's very well composed nonetheless.

It's an excellent fragrance. I've loved it for years. My guess is that maybe the haters have an aversion to violet.

I'm a lover of Grey Flannel and violet leaf in general. I can only guess at why some people dislike it. My guess would be because of its leanness, sharpness, and dryness, which make for a very different experience than that of many other fragrances, especially relatively recent ones, which are lighter, sweeter, rounder, and perhaps fruitier.

I would be tempted to say it's a generational thing, and while it's probably true that many younger people more used to contemporary fragrances do not care for Grey Flannel, there are some older, more experienced people who dislike it as well.

A colleague recently returned from a trip, and brought several older, discontinued fragrances to the office for me. I had given him a list of things to look for and he found a few of them. Just for fun I tore off some paper strips and sprayed each of the frags on them. Every visitor to my office got to smell them. One of the frags, which happened to be my favorite of the group, was a vintage version of Montana Parfum de Peau. 100% of the people who smelled the frags hated it, not merely liking the others better, but actually thinking that Parfum de Peau was awful. The favorite of 100% of them was the sweetest one. These people, about a dozen, ranged in age from early 30s to mid 50s. I knew that chypres were out of fashion, but hadn't realized how much so. This was disheartening to me, as I love chypres and think that the vintage version of Parfum de Peau is a really good one.

I still think it is largely generational, but not entirely so. From what I remember, I never encountered such hatred for Grey Flannel in the past. Most people respected it if they didn't actually love it. It did win a Fifi award as a best fragrance when it was released. I think fragrances and tastes have changed so much since then (for the worse IMO) that many people simply do not understand or appreciate classic fragrances.

To me it smells like pure bug spray. The original Aramis has the same effect on me. The best way for me to describe it would be drinking a really cheap and strong whiskey. It's that taste in the back of my throat that I smell.

It smells very cheap and synthetic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    Well at least this asshat has class and treats others with respect and doesnt resort to name calling, lol. Glad you watched my vid though, lol. Life is way to short for such negativity. I dont get it. I dont even talk about people I dislike in such a disrespectful manner. Thats just me though. Ill credit that good sense of character to my wonerful mother.
    Very Very classy response Dan.
    You are wrong about GF though

I don't so much hate it, I hate that it's blown up to be some legend on BN.

I love violet notes, and GF definitely has that. I actually like the opening of GF; I get like this rusty metal, violet, almost gothic vibe. But at the same time, it's so pungent and strong, it gives me a headache almost every time.. even with one spray. I like what it dries down to in the middle.. it's like a garden of flowers dipped in baby powder, it's green, and floral which ya don't find very often in a masculine fragrance. With that said, GF's middle notes turn more feminine than anything to me, and still with that massive projection. Interesting.. yes.. for an older woman.. not for me though. The base notes are just horrid though.. smells like dead flowers and burnt rice. I don't wanna go down that road again.

If you're gonna be so bad, at least have a promising finish.

To reiterate.. do I hate GF? Not one bit, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go buy a bottle tomorrow and wear it just because it's 10 bucks. Zino was another very overhyped fragrance which I found no use for. I think GF is recommended far too often, and many times as a reference violet fragrance. There is violet in there for sure, but to the untrained nose, or the more modern one.. GF is nothing more than a disaster.

I strongly disliked Grey Flannel long before I saw any unfavorable reviews of it on Youtube or even here at Basenotes. To me, it just seemed stuffy and outdated (and I say this as a fan of fragrances from all eras). It was one of those few fragrances that didn't stand the test of time, imo.

That said, a kind Basenoter I'd swapped with some time ago had included a 1.0 oz bottle in the package he'd sent me, and as a result of it being in my collection (gathering dust for months) I've recently returned to it and have been experimenting with it. I must say, I'm actually beginning to like it. I never would've thought that a year ago.

Just goes to show, you can't rule anything out forever. Perceptions can and do change over time. If you'd have told me I'd warm up to Grey Flannel even a month ago, I would've laughed. But there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I don't so much hate it, I hate that it's blown up to be some legend on BN.

I love violet notes, and GF definitely has that. I actually like the opening of GF; I get like this rusty metal, violet, almost gothic vibe. But at the same time, it's so pungent and strong, it gives me a headache almost every time.. even with one spray. I like what it dries down to in the middle.. it's like a garden of flowers dipped in baby powder, it's green, and floral which ya don't find very often in a masculine fragrance. With that said, GF's middle notes turn more feminine than anything to me, and still with that massive projection. Interesting.. yes.. for an older woman.. not for me though. The base notes are just horrid though.. smells like dead flowers and burnt rice. I don't wanna go down that road again.

If you're gonna be so bad, at least have a promising finish.

To reiterate.. do I hate GF? Not one bit, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna go buy a bottle tomorrow and wear it just because it's 10 bucks. Zino was another very overhyped fragrance which I found no use for. I think GF is recommended far too often, and many times as a reference violet fragrance. There is violet in there for sure, but to the untrained nose, or the more modern one.. GF is nothing more than a disaster.
    Thanks, T_C, I always enjoy your thoughts and reviews. I never get tired of a chance to disagree with you, and I hope you find it as worthwhile as I do.

IIRC, one of the more coked-up asshats on YouTube, MyMickers, issued a blind-sniff challenge of Grey Flannel to his subscribers, and several responses flooded in, all unanimously negative.
    Hey now, that "coked up" charisma is what keeps me coming back to Dan's videos, lol. Love that guy. And although I am warming up to Grey Flannel, I can completely understand someone's strong negative reaction to it -- and I don't have a problem with it in the least. I do think the namecalling is lame and uncalled for, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Thanks, T_C, I always enjoy your thoughts and reviews. I never get tired of a chance to disagree with you, and I hope you find it as worthwhile as I do.
    Likewise DustB! And I certainly do. It's one of the things I enjoy about BN.. there's never a consensus about anything.. and therefore always room to promote your perceptions / opinions and just maybe persuade someone into looking at something a little differently than they had before. I know I've benefitted greatly from hearing what other noses have had to say -- particularly when it comes to the more challenging / divisive / controversial scents. For example, I would've never considered wearing the 80's "power scents" a couple years ago.. but now I frickin' love 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    Likewise DustB! And I certainly do. It's one of the things I enjoy about BN.. there's never a consensus about anything.. and therefore always room to promote your perceptions / opinions and just maybe persuade someone into looking at something a little differently than they had before. I know I've benefitted greatly from hearing what other noses have had to say -- particularly when it comes to the more challenging / divisive / controversial scents. For example, I would've never considered wearing the 80's "power scents" a couple years ago.. but now I frickin' love 'em.
    Damn straight my friend! Drop me a note anytime I can help out with anything and maybe we can pick a scent we mutually hate/love or whatever and do a fighting review thread on it.

Damn straight my friend! Drop me a note anytime I can help out with anything and maybe we can pick a scent we mutually hate/love or whatever and do a fighting review thread on it.
    Haha, I like the sound of that! And I will do my best to keep it interesting.

[QUOTE=subhuman85;2176202]Life's also too short to waste camera batteries and time ranting against a perfectly innocent cologne, of all things, and encouraging others to do the same in a similar manner, so I guess we're even? Honestly, I call them like I see them, and your on-camera demeanor drives me nuts. It's awkward to find ourselves in the same room after I just badmouthed you, but hey, them's the breaks. Good on you for not taking me seriously - I don't take myself seriously most times.

It's all good, I'm a big boy, I can take it, lol. I've never been called an asshat before, I kind of like it, lol. As far as a waste of batteries though, I have to respectfully disagree. The joy that my family has with youtube is honest fun and I never could have met such wonderful people without it. All the letters I receive from people that I have helped or have brought joy and smile to their face is priceless as well. They have done the same for me. Now I don't mind wasting a few batteries for that, lol. But yeah I know I'm not for everybody, lol, but that's what makes the world great! Lot's of options for people to make their own choices on. As for the coked up part, yeah I can see that, lol. I like to bring energy to my vids as for myself I'm not into monotone, slow moving vids. When I went to bed last night, I asked amanda if she knew she was marrying as asshat, lol. She said yeah of course, hahaha! Thank you for bringing a smile to my face, lol.

Always a pleasure not seeing eye to eye with you on fragrances, DustB. But, much respect for your opinions.

[QUOTE=mickers;2176361]
    Life's also too short to waste camera batteries and time ranting against a perfectly innocent cologne, of all things, and encouraging others to do the same in a similar manner, so I guess we're even? Honestly, I call them like I see them, and your on-camera demeanor drives me nuts. It's awkward to find ourselves in the same room after I just badmouthed you, but hey, them's the breaks. Good on you for not taking me seriously - I don't take myself seriously most times.

It's all good, I'm a big boy, I can take it, lol. I've never been called an asshat before, I kind of like it, lol. As far as a waste of batteries though, I have to respectfully disagree. The joy that my family has with youtube is honest fun and I never could have met such wonderful people without it. All the letters I receive from people that I have helped or have brought joy and smile to their face is priceless as well. They have done the same for me. Now I don't mind wasting a few batteries for that, lol. But yeah I know I'm not for everybody, lol, but that's what makes the world great! Lot's of options for people to make their own choices on. As for the coked up part, yeah I can see that, lol. I like to bring energy to my vids as for myself I'm not into monotone, slow moving vids. When I went to bed last night, I asked amanda if she knew she was marrying as asshat, lol. She said yeah of course, hahaha! Thank you for bringing a smile to my face, lol.
    Love your energy Dan.. you asshat!

Ok ok back on topic.
    I noticed the hate here too. So good thread. I had a bottle when it came out. Love the grey flanel bag and the bottle. The scent was too mature I felt, for my young age. I didn't wear it at all and don't know what happend to it. My brother still has his, after all this years, but I think went stale. I just opened it, did not put it on my skin dough.

I remember a BN saying something about smelling like a sewer lol! I don't think it's bad, It just didn't talked to me.
    I do love violet leaves dough!

I love it

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

It doesn't surprise me that it is a love/hate frag. It has such an overdose of that distinctive synthetic violet leaf that liking it is bound to depend largely on your opinion of that note.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Plus

I love GF. So does my lady. And I suspect anyone who appreciates 'bitter' will be able to enjoy GF while those with a sweet tooth is less likely to do so. And I agree with Hirch's post, you either love the violet leaf note or you don't. Likening it to an 'old woman's crotch' is not only ageist, but also disrespectful to women in general. Who goes round sniffing at old women's crotch anyway??

I don't, I think it's lovely. I guess it's just not sweet and fruity enough for some.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I love GF. So does my lady. And I suspect anyone who appreciates 'bitter' will be able to enjoy GF while those with a sweet tooth is less likely to do so. And I agree with Hirch's post, you either love the violet leaf note or you don't. Likening it to an 'old woman's crotch' is not only ageist, but also disrespectful to women in general. Who goes round sniffing at old women's crotch anyway??
    How old? Don't knock it before you've tried it! : )

i never heard of it before. a strange name makes me picture a dirty dusty facecloth i once found stuffed into some plumbing under the sink. if its so controversial i must try it out one day. I think i might like violet leaf and bitter notes

It's taken me a very long time to appreciate GF's opening. I still find it chokingly strong and powdery. If you are new to the frag, spray it on something clothing and walk away for an hour. The dry-down is worth the wait.

All I can say is try it for yourself, its cheap enough. Me personally,i have not found anything that violates my senses the way that frag does and ive been on a personal mission to find one,lol. People have tried to find one for me as well and it just hasn't happened yet.

Blog Entries

I'm a fan of violet leaves when they're done correctly (e.g. Ocean Wet Wood).

Grey Flannel is a violet leaf overdose for me, and it ends up smelling not unlike grass stains and mashed potatoes (well, I can't think of anything else!). Same thing with Halston I-12, TOO MUCH VIOLET. I actually need to revise my review of I-12.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

I too dislike GF. I think it smells like what you would get if you mixed unscented laundry detergent and pencils in a blender until liquified. Way too harsh and uninteresting.

I personally love it nearly up to the point of worship, but I do understand the reasons of its haters: for instance, whenever I apply it, even with light hand, it might be enjoyable to me, yet even the slightest over-application, even a few drops or sprays too many can turn it into something too soapy, too dusty-powdery, too floral, too pungent, too stuffy for the noses of anyone else (albeit not to me)

I love it.

I feel like GF might just be victim of a price tag and ugly name.

For me it's like I just snorted a powder made from soap and violets. The top notes actually hurt my nose, and the dry down just smelled extremely soapy. And this is from several wearings of just one spray. I will try it again in the future to see if I have a different reaction. And I love Kouros, even its top notes, and like Rive Gauche.

[QUOTE=mickers;2176361]

"Assclown! Not Asshat!" Office space one of the best movies ever made.

Hate is a strong word I prefer not to use for any reason...ever.

I don't like it, it doesn't smell good to my nose. Period. I don't need specific reasons, fragrance evolution or note dissection to decide if I like it or not. It stinks bad! That's all I need to know

The real question is why does it matter to you what others think or why. Enough if this 'how could anyone not like this epic scent' crap. We don't, get over it.

Got inner peace?
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Hate is a strong word I prefer not to use for any reason...ever.

I don't like it, it doesn't smell good to my nose. Period. I don't need specific reasons, fragrance evolution or note dissection to decide if I like it or not. It stinks bad! That's all I need to know

The real question is why does it matter to you what others think or why. Enough if this 'how could anyone not like this epic scent' crap. We don't, get over it.

Got inner peace?
    I didn't post this thread to criticize people who don't like Grey Flannel. I posted it because it's interesting to talk about what it is people like and don't like about particular fragrances. That's why it matters - because this is a forum about fragrances. If we're not going to talk about what we like and don't like, why talk at all?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    I feel like GF might just be victim of a price tag and ugly name.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who felt this way. I recall posting over a year ago that if GF was better packaged & marketed like a Tom Ford or FMalle, it might have been better received. I happen to love the deep green bottle btw.

As Ken pointed out above, the key to wearing to this frag is to keep it extra light. One spray to the chest or solar plexus beneath your undershirt is ALL you need.

I'm with Shamu1; I find it more interesting to know exactly which aspect of a fragrance offends a person. But I don't expect everyone to be able to articulate what could be very well be a primal/visceral response.

Blog Entries

Realizing that perfume is all about personal preference I must admit there are a few scents I just cannot abide; Jicky, Drakkar, Grey Flannel and Aziyade spring to mind. These scents are just, to me, nasty and off putting to say the least.

I like the opening well enough, but the drydown has an oily/milky note that somehow reminds me of Secretions Magnifiques?! :S

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It smells very cheap and synthetic to me.
    Bingo. I've always wondered whether it may have originally been made from better materials, but the bargain bin stuff you get today is not so much "grey flannell" as some misguided ionones waiting in the alley with baseball bats. It's shockingly similar to an ancient (ca. 1975) vial of screechy synthetic violet oil from Pier 1 Imports I still own. Worth comparing with a natural violet leaf oil scent, such as profumo.it's Alaacho - you'll never go back to GF again.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I didn't post this thread to criticize people who don't like Grey Flannel. I posted it because it's interesting to talk about what it is people like and don't like about particular fragrances. That's why it matters - because this is a forum about fragrances. If we're not going to talk about what we like and don't like, why talk at all?
    You have been around long enough to be aware of the search function and a simple use of it would have yielded plenty of commentary on why and what exactly about any particular fragrance people love or don't. So I find you proclaiming how your are 'amazed' at how others don't love what you do and a whole thread started on it even with plenty of posts about this well known fragrance somewhat disingenuous given the readily accessible reasoning you so desperately crave.

Anyone who has smelled this scent can easily tell that it isn't for everyone so even though you love many aspects it would be hard to deny that it has a peculiar presence and yes, not everyone will love it. Specifics? Again I have to say not everyone, myself included needs to dissect the fragrance and know specifically what and why. We don't have to have deep analysis and be able to expound on the reasoning of it. We just don't like it.

True this is a forum to talk about fragrances although just because someone doesn't want to, feel the need to or even can explain why they 'hate' doesn't make this less of a forum to share. This thread doesn't fall to the level of the ones that seem to bait people into talking trash about fragrances as some have started although the way you framed the question still doesn't represent the matter respectfully in my opinion. Calling people 'haters' because they don't love a fragrance you do and proclaiming you're 'amazed' at how they don't feel the way you do isn't the way to get the most healthy response.

I typically don't indulge in this type of thread because most times it's started by a relatively new member who doesn't quite have the experience or insight to understand that not everyone loves what they do. The reason I did this time might have been just a lack of patience on my part.

I find your posts insightful and informative, I enjoy your contributions to this forum and feel this type of thing wasn't like you as a respected and valued member. Maybe I should have been more clear, stated plainly this in my first response and I apologize if I offended you.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    You have been around long enough to be aware of the search function and a simple use of it would have yielded plenty of commentary on why and what exactly about any particular fragrance people love or don't. So I find you proclaiming how your are 'amazed' at how others don't love what you do and a whole thread started on it even with plenty of posts about this well known fragrance somewhat disingenuous given the readily accessible reasoning you so desperately crave.

Anyone who has smelled this scent can easily tell that it isn't for everyone so even though you love many aspects it would be hard to deny that it has a peculiar presence and yes, not everyone will love it. Specifics? Again I have to say not everyone, myself included needs to dissect the fragrance and know specifically what and why. We don't have to have deep analysis and be able to expound on the reasoning of it. We just don't like it.

True this is a forum to talk about fragrances although just because someone doesn't want to, feel the need to or even can explain why they 'hate' doesn't make this less of a forum to share. This thread doesn't fall to the level of the ones that seem to bait people into talking trash about fragrances as some have started although the way you framed the question still doesn't represent the matter respectfully in my opinion. Calling people 'haters' because they don't love a fragrance you do and proclaiming you're 'amazed' at how they don't feel the way you do isn't the way to get the most healthy response.

I typically don't indulge in this type of thread because most times it's started by a relatively new member who doesn't quite have the experience or insight to understand that not everyone loves what they do. The reason I did this time might have been just a lack of patience on my part.

I find your posts insightful and informative, I enjoy your contributions to this forum and feel this type of thing wasn't like you as a respected and valued member. Maybe I should have been more clear, stated plainly this in my first response and I apologize if I offended you.
    No offense taken. Thank you for clarifying. When I write "I'm amazed", what I mean is that I find GF to be a rather conservative scent, compared to stuff like Kouros or A*Men (which does NOT amaze me that people hate them, even though I love them). I wanted to know what qualities about GF people find so bad -I think it makes for interesting conversation without becoming a flame war. I have read prior threads about Grey Flannel and I find most of the comments criticizing it are, as you say, trash talk (e.g., "this smells like a crotch!" or "this smells like shit!"), which isn't much use to anyone. Most of the responses to this thread have been pretty informative, which was what I'd hoped. Seems the biggest culprit for GF is the sharp, stinging violet leaf smell.

I used to hate it. Now I don't. I do love this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    No offense taken. Thank you for clarifying. When I write "I'm amazed", what I mean is that I find GF to be a rather conservative scent, compared to stuff like Kouros or A*Men
    I'll admit that I was paying more attention to GI Joe than Geoffrey Beene at the time it was introduced, but I gather from the name (Grey Flannel) and the dominant notes (violet, jasmine, muguet, fern) that GF was intended to be a conservative scent, taking just enough liberties to stand out in a crowd.

Since then, smoking has been banned from most workplaces, generational tastes have changed, and most of its aroma chemicals are now banned, heavily regulated, or overproduced at industrial scale for covering the smell of laundry detergents and pesticides. It also manages to be inexpensive enough for a newcomer to try it "blind" while carrying enough of a punch that more experienced wearers still manage to over-apply.

That said, the deodorant works very well and may be a bit more mossy than the EdT, so I'm pleased it's still around. If others aren't, there are more than enough other good things that might suit them better.

I like this GF, Y some people hate it may be because of the strong opening & it does not go away at all.

But then again this was not for sissies !!! & when i use it people around me are not tht impressed but tht's their problem.

Even though French noses have been behind Grey Flannel, American men should be proud of this creation and the man who had the courage to successfully launch it, Geoffrey Beene! (No panel tests involved, I bet.) It was launched in 1975 as per the BN directory; somewhere else I read '1971'. Not much is known about it's French creator André Fromentin of (then) Roure SA, France, which entity has later been acquired by Givaudan SA, Switzerland. I suppose André Fromentin created more fragrances for design houses. But neither his name nor any perfumes made by any perfumer employed within the industry is normally published ! Only since he managed to become independent do we know about JC Ellena and his current creations for Hermès.

FIFI award received in 1976 as best ‘men’s luxe fragrance’ of that year.

Michael Edwards has GF in a list of nearly 35 men’s fragrances which he calls ‘benchmarks’ in male fragrance history. (BN interview ME of 2001)

Turin-Sanchez, not exactly known for distributing stars all that generously, did give it the top rating ( 5 stars) in 2008.

Now looking at Basenoters’ reviews (79% positive and neutral, 21% negative), I find little hate and am not worried. Asked for reasons , why GF is less appreciated than many other (North American) fragrances from the past, I too can only speculate:

• 'GF has nothing uplifting while other oldies have that’. I find that true. I myself wear it occasionally for business. If I want to perfume myself before attending a funeral at all, GF would be my first choice! This fragrance also blends in well towards the end of the year, but before the holiday period. Days then are (here) way too short, cold, dark and wet. But in other seasons GF is not for me!
      By the way, during the lifetime of this thread I went back to my wardrobe ratings to take one star off! I wish, they had restored Brut back to it's original glory instead!
    • - A bit ‘out of phase’ perhaps ? After all, you hardly find grey flannel suits any more, at least not in central Europe where a new generation of exchange- and stock brokers, and other financial soldiers dominate certain streets in our big cities around lunch time - black uniforms cut by Armani & Boss.
    • - The acqua generation of fragrance users on both sides of the Atlantic has essentially been trained to spray away at their own discretion for best effect. Applying colognes that were first launched before, say 1985 when men’s frags came in splash bottles only, is a little more dangerous. No wonder some guys get a shock suddenly feeling inundated in a unique perfume like this, Brut, or Paco Rabanne, or almost anything from the eighties backwards.
    • - Too ‘cheap’, thus poorly placed in shops (provided they carry it at all). Little or zero advertising: GF shares that together with a few other gems from the past, typically Knize Ten. These will not provide 'status'!

Triple their price and invest that money into the advertising which probably consumes 95% of the costs of any perfume with most other houses. Men have said before ‘it could be niche’. To me it was that from the beginning, or has grown to be niche since the millennium).

Recommended read:

Grey Flannel – Smells like niche to me (Monday, May 30 New Fragrance Listing)
    Last edited by narcus; 6th August 2011 at 08:58 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Dependent

I love violet leaf (which only lasts a few minutes in GF anyways, but dislike violet (methyl ionone) because it's far too soapy. I occasionally use my GF aftershave but even that is a bit much. However, I often use GF as a bathroom deodorizer. It smells like overpriced hotel soap to me. (I prefer not to smell that way.) So I'm making the best of my blind buy.

I tried revisiting this one today and wound up throwing it away. Everything about GF smells old and moldy.

I don't hate it.

I just find it unwearable in this day and age.

Actually, I tried this on at a store the other day, because I remembered reading about it on here. I thought, oh that smells not so bad. Much later I was having lunch with my flatmate and I kept thinking, I must give her better perfume, because whatever she is wearing smells terrible, like acetone and lavender toilet spray. Of course, the offending perfume was on me, and it was the grey flannel.
    So, I usually like to go against the tide with my opinions but I have to say this perfume genuinely is one of the most unpleasant available, and it smells extremely dated to me also. Maybe someone wore it in my childhood. It certainly is a smell one never forgets

I know I’m new at this, and clearly don’t have refined tastes, but I’m a hater. I find Grey Flannel to be an overly loud, horribly shrill, chemical mess.

I like the concept – violet, oakmoss and sandalwood – but the execution, as far as I’m concerned, is botched.

A subtle blend of these main notes would be interesting: a waft of violet breaking free from the forest floor. (Similar to the way vetiver works so well against a woody background.)

But turning everything up to 10 and making it into an out-and-out powerhouse was just plain wrong. I guess that, back in the day, people wearing this scent were competing with co-workers (and fellow discotheque dancers) who had bathed in Brut. But nowadays? No thanks!

I know people say give it 30 minutes or so to settle down, but it is still pumping out a shrieking violet stink after three or four hours on me.

And what a stink! Above all, GF radiates a horribly chemical scent: it goes on like industrial air freshener and dries down to drier sheets. Actually, the violet accord reminds me of camping toilets.

Curiously, it does make a rather first-rate air freshener. One squirt can make your whole house smell fresh. It’s suspiciously good as an air freshener. . .

And if that’s because the chemicals used in the creation of this scent have subsequently been used in air fresheners, well that’s another reason to move on and get different cologne. Scents are about association, after all.

I have to admit that I don’t really get the notion of clean scents. I’m not saying all colognes have to be musky and hyper-masculine, but as far as I'm concerned, spraying myself with something that radiates cleanness is a contradiction in terms. I’d rather have a shower.

I like green scents, and love dry scents. I just don't like air freshener scents.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I love it. It's not synthetic smelling at all. Quite the contrary - and a perusal of the ingredients printed on the back of its box shows the use of real oakmoss, so they got that right. If anything, violet reconstructions have gotten better over the years and with reformulations of this fragrance. It smells pretty dark green and smooth. It's excellent stuff.

Too bad people don't like chypres anymore, especially stuff as classy as this. It's strictly for the dead of winter, though. I can't wear it in summer or even autumn. It needs cold.

IRC, one of the more coked-up asshats on YouTube, MyMickers,
    Utterly classless and totally uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Utterly classless and totally uncalled for.

Careful, don't kick that dead horse too hard.