Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Haters of GREY FLANNEL: Why do you hate it?

to me it smells cheap, someone said this stuff smells like one from the wallmart.. lol

mn
    scent up your life!

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 05:20 AM.

I love GF and think its pungency and violet leaf overdose is so pleasant that almost transport me to another world: a freezing field of violets in the morning. However, it's understandable that GF is not for the fainted heart; it's bold, extremely potent and lasts almost forever. I find strange when people that hate GF use to love violet notes on other colognes, but the candied, washed violet and take those scents as violet parameters.

Too Much pepper

Allow me a stab. I have enthusiastically grilled my girlfriend on a few occasions as well well as several Macy's and Perfumania SA's about their thoughts on Grey Flannel. Not a single positive response from women under 40. The reasons? 'It's too harsh,' 'It smells like a moldy blanket,' 'who wants to wear grass?' 'This smells like old people.' My grandfather told me he wore this a long time ago. It won numerous awards in '76. It's just the changing times and tastes shaped by the market. Masculine florals and old musks aren't attractive to most youngsters. I honestly believe people nowadays (at least Americans) don't really know what natural things smell like because of the abundance of chemical scents in our everyday lives. I got my lovely gf collecting perfumes but to this day she has yet to approve of a single one in my 100+ collection that was made before 1995.
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

Grey flannel is best when treat like a parfum. It's very strong, but if you want something similar, but with more interest, try Bas de Soie.

I hate it mainly because it conjures the smell of an 80s black tile bathroom. It doesn't help that I'm neither a fan of violet nor oakmoss.

Bought a bottle and tried it yesterday, and though the opening is a bit "old school" it develops in one of the classiest middle and basenotes i've ever encontered, cant wait to use it more and I believe ill do it often! Totally unfair the backlash this jewel has received. Long live, Grey Flannel!

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I love it. It's not synthetic smelling at all. Quite the contrary - and a perusal of the ingredients printed on the back of its box shows the use of real oakmoss, so they got that right. If anything, violet reconstructions have gotten better over the years and with reformulations of this fragrance. It smells pretty dark green and smooth. It's excellent stuff.

Too bad people don't like chypres anymore, especially stuff as classy as this. It's strictly for the dead of winter, though. I can't wear it in summer or even autumn. It needs cold.

GF is not bad, not great. My wife called it "different" from my other frags, but wasn't enamored with it.
    As with most of my frags, I get a linear thing that really doesn't change/develop over time. GF to me is like a linear scent of rose-scented, small decorative bathroom soaps. I had a co-worker smell it on me, and asked him if he got that vibe also. He said "Yeah, that would be a pretty close description."
    And I will give it credit for being quite potent.

Because very soapy and smell "steril".

Smells like furniture polish to me

Basenotes Plus

I am a hater. I hate to admit it. When I was growing up my mother always cautioned us kids about not "hating people or things." Bless her heart she was against hatred on general principles. But my natural inclination to hate everyone and anything eventually won out. I'm not proud of this outcome, but so it is. Yes I hate the smell of Grey Flannel and have for years. I guess it's the violet leaf but I don't know for certain. I think Bond Bleecker Street also has strong violet leaf if I remember correctly and I think that fragrance smells bad too. There's more to my story of course. When I was younger I owned a bottle of Grey Flannel. I liked it. I used it. So did a million other guys. It's an old axiom that familiarity breeds contempt. Contempt I have in spades. From time to time I still smell Grey Flannel, that unforgettably distinctive, overpowering, cloying smell. I try not to get down on anyone for wearing it, but I can't help feeling when I do encounter it that I want to initiate an intervention of some kind. Just to improve all of our lives you know.